PDA

View Full Version : Plans for V

lunaticmink
2012-01-26, 05:39 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the fiendish trinity are just going to hijack the snarl ritual and use V as their epic level arcane caster for it?

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-26, 05:45 PM
It's one of the more popular "V's debt" theories. The fact that the ritual is apparently 100% conjuration may or may not put a dent in that idea, depending on if they can give V conjuration again through something like the Soul Splices or Wish. Also, I just remembered that Xykon said the rituals take a few weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html), and the archfiends only have 45ish minutes of V's soul.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-26, 05:46 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the fiendish trinity are just going to hijack the snarl ritual and use V as their epic level arcane caster for it?

Except V isn't epic level. Nor does (s)he or the fiends know the arcane portion of the ritual.

lunaticmink
2012-01-26, 05:49 PM
Except V isn't epic level. Nor does (s)he or the fiends know the arcane portion of the ritual.
they can make V strong to cast epic level spells, and clearly they have more then just the imp as an agent on the material plane, like the succubus in the linear guild.

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-26, 05:59 PM
Except V isn't epic level.Except Redcloak tried to conquer Lirian's Gate when he was only 9th-10th level.

The Pilgrim
2012-01-26, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by lunaticmink

An Epic Level caster isn't needed to perform the Ritual.

Two Epic Level casters where necessary to build a Gate - that's why Xykon and Redcloak hadn't simply built a new gate over the Rift in Azure City. But they are not needed to warp it.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-26, 06:27 PM
they can make V strong to cast epic level spells, and clearly they have more then just the imp as an agent on the material plane, like the succubus in the linear guild.

How does that mean they will know the arcane portion? Not to mention they still don't have the divine half so I doubt they could modify the ceremony to do what they want.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-01-27, 12:41 AM
It's one of the more popular "V's debt" theories. The fact that the ritual is apparently 100% conjuration may or may not put a dent in that idea, depending on if they can give V conjuration again through something like the Soul Splices or Wish. Also, I just remembered that Xykon said the rituals take a few weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html), and the archfiends only have 45ish minutes of V's soul.

They could use epic-level time stop shenanigans to circumvent the weeks-long casting time.

Tannhaeuser
2012-01-27, 01:43 AM
I dunno what the plans for V. are, but I will bet that the comic that checks in with V. on the demi-elemental plane will be entitled
"Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch..."

EmperorSarda
2012-01-27, 02:46 AM
They could use epic-level time stop shenanigans to circumvent the weeks-long casting time.

I think they can only do that when tempting mortals with power in exchange for their souls. Besides, the preparation for the ritual takes the weeks. The ritual itself does not.

Kish
2012-01-27, 06:15 AM
If it would work for the fiends to use a Soul Splice to give someone conjuration magic to perform the ritual, and they want the ritual performed, Vaarsuvius wouldn't be a good choice. They'd do much better to use Nale. Or a random first-level commoner who would agree to do their bidding. Or an aristocrat like Kubota.

Cranica
2012-01-27, 10:53 AM
If it would work for the fiends to use a Soul Splice to give someone conjuration magic to perform the ritual, and they want the ritual performed, Vaarsuvius wouldn't be a good choice. They'd do much better to use Nale. Or a random first-level commoner who would agree to do their bidding. Or an aristocrat like Kubota.

Assuming they told the truth about the Soul Splice, it evidently requires you to make Will (or possibly Concentration) saves/checks frequently to maintain the effect, which a first-level commoner likely wouldn't be able to do.

Rorrik
2012-01-30, 01:32 PM
I dunno what the plans for V. are, but I will bet that the comic that checks in with V. on the demi-elemental plane will be entitled
"Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch..."

Beautiful. I second that theory.

On the other discussion. If they could build a new gate and then transport it, then I think the fiends would do so through V, take control of her, give him two or three epic level casters, teleport to one of the open rifts, create then gate, and move it to their target, it would appear that either it can't be done with a rebuilt gate or they can't move the gate through V.

Did that make any sense?

Psyren
2012-01-30, 02:12 PM

I agree - there has to be something about V being the level of wizard he is that benefited the deal in some way. It couldn't simply be that they can make any old joe into a master arcanist with some splices, regardless of background.

Darth Hunterix
2012-01-30, 03:02 PM
Making V know the arcane part of the ritual via Soul Splice? Simple.

Destroy Xykon at the right moment (the moment when he was in Azure City was not the right one) and splice HIS soul with V.

Rorrik
2012-01-30, 05:18 PM
That's an interesting idea, if the group were in cahoots with the Dark One, V could be a back up for Xykon and Red Cloak, as I'm sure they have souls who have worn the cloak that they could splice with V and who know the never written ritual. It should be kept in mind though that the ritual known by Red Cloak only gives control of the gate to the Dark One, they would need their own ritual if they wanted control.