PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night Build? Sherlock?

Tech Boy
2012-01-26, 07:16 PM
Had kind of a funky idea while watching BBC Sherlock.

Any thoughts on playing a Sherlock type character in Pathfinder?
Class?
Race?
Weapons?

I was thinking Human rogue, but I'm not sure on class. Maybe a rapier for a weapon?

Eloel
2012-01-26, 07:24 PM
Factotum sounds more Sherlock to me (that guy lives on Int), though I'm not sure if Factotum exists in Pathfinder.

Tech Boy
2012-01-26, 07:30 PM
Factotum sounds more Sherlock to me (that guy lives on Int), though I'm not sure if Factotum exists in Pathfinder.

Ah! Brilliant! I'm actually finding somethings on the web about getting the class into Pathfinder.
Thank you!

Anxe
2012-01-26, 07:49 PM
As for weapon? He rarely used a weapon, but when he did it was a revolver, right? So have him use a hand crossbow.

Bearpunch
2012-01-26, 08:35 PM
As for weapon? He rarely used a weapon, but when he did it was a revolver, right? So have him use a hand crossbow.

Or he can use revolver, after he takes the exotic weapons (firearms) feat.

Murillio
2012-01-26, 08:53 PM
It seems to me the best class/archetypes would be one of these: Rogue/Investigator, Rogue/Rake or Bard/Detective.

Ideally he'd be everyone of those. He can't take both Investigator and Rake archetypes because they replace the same abilities. Maybe going gestalt would be best? If we did that Rogue/Rake + Bard/Detective would fit him more. Out of the combos Bard/Detective gives more diversity in terms of themed abilities.

Not sure on weapons. In the BBC show he uses his fists and a gun.

gallagher
2012-01-26, 09:05 PM
Or he can use revolver, after he takes the exotic weapons (firearms) feat.

based on the (awesome) show, he doesnt really use a gun. leaves that stuff to watson. sherlock is a master strategist who just knows a lot of stuff, and knows/remembers practically everything, so factotum with maxed knowledges and autohypnosis.

now that that dilemma is solved, this thread is now about theories for how they explain the season 2 finale's ending :elan:

Gotterdammerung
2012-01-26, 09:09 PM
I don't know very much about pathfinder. But if you can use 3.0 and 3.5 books. Then I recommend factotum 5/ watch detective (masters of the wild) 10/ factotum 5

If your gestalting go with 4 urban ranger/ 1 Bloodhound/Watch detective 3/ Bloodhound 3/Watch detective 7 on one side and factotum 20 on the other side.

If you are gestalting and your GM allows double prestige classes go
urban ranger 4/bloodhound 1/Factotum 3/Bloodhound 9/Cerebrex 3 (dragon compendium)
and
factotum Factotum 5/ watch detective 10/Cerebrex 2/factotum 3
(total urban ranger 4; factotum 11; watch detective 10/ bloodhound 10/ cerebrex 5)

Could probably clean it up a bit but it all comes out very sherlock homes in play.

Add in leadership to get your Watson.

Tech Boy
2012-01-26, 09:12 PM
now that that dilemma is solved, this thread is now about theories for how they explain the season 2 finale's ending :elan:

Good Gods man! No spoilers! I'm savoring the season! :)

Bearpunch
2012-01-26, 09:19 PM
based on the (awesome) show, he doesnt really use a gun. leaves that stuff to watson. sherlock is a master strategist who just knows a lot of stuff, and knows/remembers practically everything, so factotum with maxed knowledges and autohypnosis.

Yeah, I've never seen the show, I was just responding to Anxe's post, really. Knowing a lot of stuff comes with bard, but bard doesn't seem to fit with sherlocks character, maybe a level dip into rogue would work though.

Reluctance
2012-01-27, 03:14 AM
I remember a couple of uses of a pistol, not a revolver. That's only because guns are generally the best modern weapon when you factor in things like "not being visibly heavily armed". He'd use whatever weapon or spell was most effective while getting in the way the least. (A pity unarmed/improvised weapons are so poorly supported. Those are more original Holmes than modern reboot, but they'd work well.)

Thing is, 90% of the character is his jacked modifier in a few skills. Perception, Sense Motive, Autohypnosis, Knowledges, and maybe some Bluff/Intimidate. (He has no Diplomacy, but he can BS people decently well when need be.) Sky-high Int and Wis (all key Sherlock skills depend on one or the other, and he is resolute even if he can seem nonsensical). But he's a character in a skill-based game, while you're still free to add class features.

And to give a usual piece of advice here. Sherlock is a Protagonist. Him figuring things out and saving the day is the name of the show. Your character won't get the same treatment, because the spotlight needs to be spread much more evenly in a game with multiple characters.

Anxe
2012-01-27, 10:36 AM
What level would he be? The only suggestion so far is 20th, but I think he's far short of that.

Tech Boy
2012-01-27, 05:40 PM
What level would he be? The only suggestion so far is 20th, but I think he's far short of that.

Well, I'm not sure on level really. Just thought it'd be a fun character to play out sometime. He'd start at level 1 or 2.

Anxe
2012-01-27, 08:15 PM
Oh! So we're not going for actually representing the character, but more about representing the feel?

Urpriest
2012-01-27, 08:42 PM
Someone on these boards was in the works of making a rather interesting sounding homebrew Detective class. Person Man maybe?

Tech Boy
2012-01-27, 09:24 PM
Oh! So we're not going for actually representing the character, but more about representing the feel?

Yes! Apologies, I should have been more clear.

JerichoPenumbra
2012-01-27, 09:46 PM
If it's a pathfinder game you could try the Investigator class by Super Genius Games. It draws inspiration from many famous detective stories.

Tech Boy
2012-01-28, 07:58 AM
If it's a pathfinder game you could try the Investigator class by Super Genius Games. It draws inspiration from many famous detective stories.

Brilliant!

Slipperychicken
2012-01-28, 09:52 AM
Sherlock would totally use Knowledge Devotion. All knowledges, Autohypnosis, Spellcraft, Sense Motive through the roof (or a Ring of Detect Thoughts), search*, Gather info, Forgery**. He might be an Elf for the "auto-searching" ability. I could also see him using Divinations, if those didn't make detective work too easy anyway.

*I could see him using Corpse Candle to obsolete the Search skill though.

**Maybe just one rank in Forgery, then get circumstance bonuses and Cunning Knowledge whenever he actually needs to use the skill.