PDA

View Full Version : Are we ever going to get a real name reveal?

Endon the White
2012-01-26, 09:20 PM
As most of us know, Redcloak, Right-Eye, and Xykon don't go by/never went by their real names. Xykon wanted to sound "kewl", and Redcloak and Right-Eye didn't want to bore Xykon with really long names. Do you guys think we'll ever find out their actual names?

EpilepticWombat
2012-01-26, 09:24 PM
Only if they are plot-relevant. Or character-relevant. Or relevant in any way beyond "Huh, so his name was [x]".

I think the likelihood of Redcloak's name, at least, being found out is hinged directly on what direction his character goes during endgame.

NerfTW
2012-01-26, 09:54 PM
For Xykon, no. It's meaningless. It might as well be "Frank". It's not like he's hiding who he was, he just wanted a cool name.

For Right Eye, I doubt it. It wouldn't mean much or do anything for the character.

As for Redcloak, as mentioned, depending on what happens, his real name might be mentioned. for starters, the Dark One isn't going to call him Redcloak. But standing up to Xykon and yelling "My name is bla bla bla!" would be pretty ridiculous, as "Redcloak" is the name he gave Xykon to make it easier to remember. He's never told Xykon his real name, so any anger at Xykon for not using a name he never told him it would be... well, stupid for lack of a better term.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-26, 09:59 PM
Only if they are plot-relevant. Or character-relevant. Or relevant in any way beyond "Huh, so his name was [x]".

I think the likelihood of Redcloak's name, at least, being found out is hinged directly on what direction his character goes during endgame.

I agree. If we get a lot more backstory on him, his name might come up, but I doubt it.

Zea mays
2012-01-26, 10:52 PM
As most of us know, Redcloak, Right-Eye, and Xykon don't go by/never went by their real names. Xykon wanted to sound "kewl", and Redcloak and Right-Eye didn't want to bore Xykon with really long names. Do you guys think we'll ever find out their actual names?

The only person still alive I can think of who may know what Red-Eye's real name is (SOD Spoiler)Is Right-Eye's daughter. If she ever makes an appearance in the on-line comic's she could reveal her identity to her uncle (in an appropriately dramatic moment) by using his original name.

DoctorIllithid
2012-01-26, 10:53 PM
For Xykon and Right-Eye? Probably not. Redcloak is a possibility, but I really wouldn't count on it.

Dr.Epic
2012-01-26, 11:01 PM
How would it strengthen the comic?:smallconfused: In V for Vendetta we never find out who V is and that strengthened the comic. The theme of anonymous is very powerful in these. Also, even if we did, what difference would it make? "OH! Redcloak's real name was Frizzle Tellimort and Xykon's real name was Markus Cornhavlle. Now the comic makes much more sense!"

EnragedFilia
2012-01-26, 11:29 PM
Redcloak could shout his own name in defiance as he finally turns against Xykon once the ritual is complete. He could ask his brother for forgiveness (by name) as he's dying. Either one would symbolize his release from Xykon's service and the burden of duty that he's carried for years, what with it being the reason he took a fake name in the first place. Although I agree that knowing what the names actually are is meaningless, the fact of RC reclaiming them would be meaningful in itself.

That's also why I don't see Xykon's real name being revealed, because he hasn't used it since he was a kid, and by now that kid is both dead and completely forgotten, especially by Xykon himself.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-26, 11:43 PM
KEEP POSTING EVERYONE,

this is a merged thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12606392

FujinAkari
2012-01-27, 12:38 AM
HOLD IT EVERYONE,

this is a duplicate thread.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12606392

This comment will look very out of place and silly once the threads get merged :P

NerfTW
2012-01-27, 08:57 PM
Redcloak could shout his own name in defiance as he finally turns against Xykon once the ritual is complete. He could ask his brother for forgiveness (by name) as he's dying. Either one would symbolize his release from Xykon's service and the burden of duty that he's carried for years, what with it being the reason he took a fake name in the first place. Although I agree that knowing what the names actually are is meaningless, the fact of RC reclaiming them would be meaningful in itself.

That's also why I don't see Xykon's real name being revealed, because he hasn't used it since he was a kid, and by now that kid is both dead and completely forgotten, especially by Xykon himself.

As I mentioned in the other thread, that would be ridiculous and make Redcloak a bit silly. He never told Xykon his real name, and Xykon didn't make up "Redcloak". The only person he has to blame for Xykon calling him that name is himself. Xykon isn't doing it to annoy Redcloak, THAT'S WHAT REDCLOAK TOLD HIM TO CALL HIM. Getting angry about it would just be ridiculous.

:redcloak: "MY NAME IS BLAH BLAH BLAH!"
:xykon: "Well why didn't you say that 40 years ago when I asked you?"

EnragedFilia
2012-01-27, 11:23 PM

That is a decent point, and while it would be perfectly in character for Xykon to forget about disliking long names, the fact remains that the reason Redcloak began using a pseudonym was in order to serve/manipulate Xykon. It would probably make more sense for him to say it after the confrontation rather than before, however.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-27, 11:24 PM

:redcloak: "Well, you remember that lizard guy with the long name?"
:xykon: "No."
:redcloak: "..."

MrThurk
2012-01-28, 01:51 AM

Agreed, but that wouldn't make much sense for those who haven't read SoD (unless it's mentioned somewhere that Redcloak is not his real name?).

Flame of Anor
2012-01-28, 02:02 AM
This comment will look very out of place and silly once the threads get merged :P

I beg to differ. :smallwink:

Ancalagon
2012-01-28, 08:43 AM
What would it serve to learn that Lord Xykon is actually Banakin Skyrunner and Roy actually does not have a last name (and as such is indeed Elan's brother)? :smallconfused:

Kish
2012-01-28, 11:39 AM
It would make the psychiatrist Roy goes to see very rich.

Redcloak's brother tried to tell Xykon that Right-Eye wasn't his name. Xykon's response was, "Sure, Right-Eye."

NerfTW
2012-01-28, 12:36 PM
What would it serve to learn that Lord Xykon is actually Banakin Skyrunner and Roy actually does not have a last name (and as such is indeed Elan's brother)? :smallconfused:

Roy's last name is Greenhilt. :smallconfused:

Flame of Anor
2012-01-28, 01:26 PM
How would it strengthen the comic?:smallconfused: In V for Vendetta we never find out who V is and that strengthened the comic. The theme of anonymous is very powerful in these. Also, even if we did, what difference would it make? "OH! Redcloak's real name was Frizzle Tellimort and Xykon's real name was Markus Cornhavlle. Now the comic makes much more sense!"

I'm going to start thinking of them with those names now. :biggrin:

Roy's last name is Greenhilt. :smallconfused:

That's the point. If we didn't think he had a last name already, there wouldn't be much use in learning he didn't actually have one.

Ravian
2012-01-28, 01:38 PM
I think Redcloak will get a name reveal, possibly Right-Eye, but not Xykon.
Redcloak's name is synomous with his servitude to Xykon, and if he redeems himself and/or betrays Xykon, I imagine that he might tell his name in a sufficiently dramatic manner.

Right-Eye may or may not, not sure really.

Xykon's name frankly has no importance whatsoever, (unless it turns out to be something something Greenhilt, which is incredibly unlikely and Tarquin already did the "(insert name here) I am your (insert relation here)" line.) because he didn't really have a life before villianhood. (the most human act of his life was when he cried over his dead dog before reanimating it) Villians like Voldemort use false names to disconnect themselves from a previous part of their lives, or something else that happened in their past (Voldemort left behind Tom Riddle to disconnect himself from his muggle half, Darth Vader abandons his legacy with the Jedi by abandoning Anakin Skywalker) Xykon doesn't have any of these reasons, he simply thought his old name was boring and wanted something more befitting for a villian such as himself. No reason for him to reveal it (and frankly I wouldn't be all that suprised if he forgot it himself, guy's a frikin goldfish when it comes to names, and he hasn't answered to it for about a century), and no one else knows enough about him to know it (he killed most of his family, and most likely anyone who could have known is probably dead already)

PallElendro
2012-01-28, 06:13 PM
"Redcloak's real name was Frizzle Tellimort and Xykon's real name was Markus Cornhavlle."

Shush. You're spoiling it for everyone. :biggrin:

Heksefatter
2012-01-28, 06:14 PM
The only person still alive I can think of who may know what Red-Eye's real name is (SOD Spoiler)Is Right-Eye's daughter. If she ever makes an appearance in the on-line comic's she could reveal her identity to her uncle (in an appropriately dramatic moment) by using his original name.

I really like the idea in your spoiler, just sayin'.