PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Crit stacking - is it possible?

jaybird
2012-01-26, 09:56 PM
Just out of curiosity. Are there any enchantments/feats/class features/whatever that allow crit modifiers to stack? Put another way, is it possible to beat the 15-20 crit range of a Keen rapier?

jmelesky
2012-01-26, 10:27 PM
I don't know of any ways to extend the threat range beyond keen. However, there are a few ways to increase crit multipliers, so you can have 15-20/x3, which is pretty powerful.

The Fighter gets Weapon Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter#TOC-Weapon-Mastery-Ex-) as a capstone (level 20), which isn't likely to come up too often. There's a Magus archetype called the Kensai (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/kensai) that can spend arcane pool points to do that at level 4 ("Perfect Strike"). I'm sure there are others. It's feasible that they might stack, as well.

grarrrg
2012-01-26, 10:32 PM
Just out of curiosity. Are there any enchantments/feats/class features/whatever that allow crit modifiers to stack? Put another way, is it possible to beat the 15-20 crit range of a Keen rapier?

Currently?
No.

There is the Fighter level 20 Weapon Mastery, it increases the Crit Multiplier by 1.

BLARG! NINJAS!

Weapon Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/weapon-master) Fighter can increase the Mutliplier by 1 at level 13, but only 1/day (+1 use every 3 levels)

Heatwizard
2012-01-27, 01:36 AM
Disciple of Dispater multiplies your critical threat range, and stacks with Improved Critical. Those together will get it all the way down to 12-20, I believe. You have to take eight levels in it, though. It's also from Book of Vile Darkness, so you'll end up actually selling your soul for it.

e: It's too bad it can't be cranked down to 11-20, because then Aura of Perfect Order would be completely great.

e2: Wait, hang on, hang on. Disciple 8 triples your threat range, not doubles; so with Improved Critical, your threat range is quadrupled. If you start at 18-20, that's three critical results, times four is twelve, so you crit on 8-20. A Crusader 6/Disciple of Dispater 8/Crusader +2 will get a sixth level stance. Aura of Perfect Order lets you take 11 on any d20 roll, so you can basically always crit forever.

Oh, hurf, Pathfinder. Then yeah, I dunno.

Bhaakon
2012-01-27, 01:48 AM
Technically, no, it's not possible to stack crit range extenders.

However, there a number of "roll twice and take the best result" and "roll again" abilities that essentially double your chance of getting a critical threat. Unfortunately, none of them are spamable to any significant extent.

Cieyrin
2012-01-27, 11:37 AM
Gunslinger's Targeting (Torso) deed simply makes firearm crit ranges 19-20, which can then be extended via Improved Critical, since you can't make ranged weapons Keen, so it's a roundabout method of doing so.

jmelesky
2012-01-27, 01:47 PM
Disciple of Dispater multiplies your critical threat range, and stacks with Improved Critical.

I can't find that in the SRD. Is it a 3rd party thing?

jmelesky
2012-01-27, 03:17 PM
However, there a number of "roll twice and take the best result" and "roll again" abilities that essentially double your chance of getting a critical threat. Unfortunately, none of them are spamable to any significant extent.

Actually, the one that is spammable is the witch's Fortune hex, which can be indefinitely extended by the Cackle hex. It requires a secondary buffing character, but it does last for as long as that character is willing to burn a move action.

Jeraa
2012-01-27, 03:29 PM
I can't find that in the SRD. Is it a 3rd party thing?

No, is a 3.0 book from WotC. Its not for Pathfinder.