PDA

View Full Version : Can you make OOS-style drawings of my players' PCs?

Gliz
2012-01-27, 03:27 AM
EDIT: It has come to my attention that I've approached this issue with less forethought and tact than I should have. Apologies for that. I've left that potentially damning evidence in strikethrough text below. At this point I'm abandoning this thread and taking the advice of helpful posters, whom I thank.

I'm looking for somebody to create some OOS-style versions of my D&D groups' PCs. My hope is to use these images on some custom-order items (from other websites) such as personalized pint glasses. I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee if necessary. I'm not rich, so think 'beer money' here. I don't know how much time this takes, and I don't want to offend anybody by being too cheap, so maybe we're talking 'beer money and a movie' here; I don't know.

The group is six PCs. I might want six individual images and a group shot. Details are pretty important, at least to the point that the characters be easily recognizable as the PCs.

At this point I'm open to offers. Sample work would be appreciated.
Thanks, and if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know.

Squark
2012-01-27, 03:36 AM
I'm looking for somebody to create some OOS-style versions of my D&D groups' PCs. My hope is to use these images on some custom-order items (from other websites) such as personalized pint glasses. I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee if necessary. I'm not rich, so think 'beer money' here. I don't know how much time this takes, and I don't want to offend anybody by being too cheap, so maybe we're talking 'beer money and a movie' here; I don't know.

The group is six PCs. I might want six individual images and a group shot. Details are pretty important, at least to the point that the characters be easily recognizable as the PCs.

At this point I'm open to offers. Sample work would be appreciated.
Thanks, and if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know.

I don't think many of the people here would charge you for this sort of thing. While I'm out of practice, there are a lot of people who'd be willing to do such a thing. My recommendation would be to ask in the Oots Avatar thread.

Rakmakallan
2012-01-27, 05:59 AM
Let me see if I'm reading this correctly.
Sell? SELL????

Although I cannot draw to save my life, especially in oots style, you are asking to pay for avatars in a forum where people do it out of sense of community and desire to improve their art and gaming spirit. I definitely am in no position to speak for everyone else, but personally would feel offended.

(Not meaning to insult op or artists, just my two cents from a dabbler's viewpoint)

Mazeburn
2012-01-27, 06:08 AM
I'd possibly check the forum rules on this actually, I'm pretty sure people aren't allowed to offer commissions over them. :) I don't know about offering for artists to commission, but from what I read it seems like financial stuff is generally a nono. Maybe browse one of the avatar forums then message an artist you like directly?

Still, I dare say you'll find plenty of people willing to do it for free, especially for OOTS style. xD People are nice like that here.

Gliz
2012-01-27, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the responses. It appears I am in bad form. Apologies for that. I glanced through a few threads and liked a lot of the art, but did not see that anybody else was making similar requests. Asking for seven separate images with a fair amount of detail (and not wanting to wait a long time for it) seemed a bit much to ask for free. But yeah, if it's not allowed, of course I'll pull it.

Gliz
2012-01-27, 11:10 AM
Alright, I re-read the thread rules and saw this line:

"Even for works of art online, posters are not permitted to sell goods or services on this forum."

I'm not convinced that this covers what I'm doing here, as it appears to be aimed at those coming here to sell things. But I get that my request is probably not in the spirit of what occurs here.

I'm going to edit the title of the thread and my previous posts to conform to the culture.

Thanks to all who posted. This thread can now RIP.