PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Elemental Warrior/Magus?

Amoren
2012-01-27, 03:33 AM
Alright, another thread for a friend I'm helping out make a Pathfinder character. This is what he told me he wanted the character to be;

He is a Magus, that I know off
He has only one sword and thats the only weapon he's good with, however, he is primalery an ice mage, but his real power is to control temperature, meaning both fire and ice.
What I want in the end is that he's damn good at what he trains in, which is his sword, ice and fire.

Game is fairly rules light and flexible, with elements of 3.5 dashed in where needed.

So what I've taken from this is: He wants to blend melee and spellcasting (thus the Magus, he's also taking bladebound), and wants to specialize in fire and ice spells. So far, my thoughts was to use the Cabalist archetype giving him spontaneous spellcasting (his temperature magic is a natural part of the character, not an exclusively scholarly/wizardry training), and also the elemental sorcerer bloodline. I had the idea of doing crossblooded with this, which isn't exactly koshier but would let him take Elementalist (Fire) and Elementalist (Cold), to choose to switch an energy spell to fire or cold.

I've also thought that the Energy Admixture metamagic from Complete Arcane would do quite well, but the +4 level adjustment will hurt what sort of spells he can turn into fiery ice.

Corlindale
2012-01-27, 04:54 AM
I don't think a crossblooded sorceror with Elemental as both bloodlines is legal. You could do an Efreeti/Marid crossblooded sorceror for similar effect, though.

You could also dip Evocation wizard with the Admixture subschool, that allows you to convert elements too.

Or you could skip all that entirely and simply take the Elemental Spell metamagic feat. You could take it twice for both Cold and Fire, though I think taking it for Cold would be sufficient, as there are already a huge number of good fire spells on the magus list. The feat even allows you to cast spells that are half ice, half fire, which might be thematically cool for his build. The +1 level is a little annoying, though.
For the same reason you might not actually need to give him crossblooded, you might be fine with just the Cold bloodline.

You say your game is rules-light, so if you want a really simple solution it wouldn't be that hard to homebrew a Magus discovery that allows elemental conversion. Might be a lot simpler than having to do all kinds of weird things with his build.

Amoren
2012-01-27, 06:41 AM
Well, originally I was going to go with Frost/Elemental (Fire), but the Arcane Power of Frost hurt the duality nature of the class hard (preparing fire spells in a slot higher, ouch). It does have nice abilities, though.

I just stumbled across the Broad Study, Arcana, however. Which gives me some... ideas. A bladebound Magus 6/Wizard X/Eldritch Knight, Spellsword, or Abjurant Champion gives the important spell and martial blending of the Magus (casting spells and full attacking with a one-handed weapon, channeling a spell) with 7th level wizard spells.