PDA

View Full Version : Feat that adds a spell to your list [3.5]

Aemoh87
2012-01-27, 07:55 AM
Is there one, a friend of mine claims there is but I did not find it after an hour of digging, help me? I wanna add a Wu Jen spell to my sorcerer list. Thanks playground.

Morcleon
2012-01-27, 08:28 AM
Extra Spell (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/extra-spell--1044/)

It lets you learn any spell of at least one level lower than the highest spell level you can cast. For example, if you can cast 5th level spells, you can learn spells of 4th level or down with this feat.

FearlessGnome
2012-01-27, 08:36 AM
Extra Spell, by RAW, will only add a spell known from your spell list. So it won't get you a Wu Jen spell if it's not on the Sorc/Wiz list.

For Sorcerers, obvious recommendation is a Bloodline feat, from Dragon Magazine. Adds one spell known per spell level. Not all great, but they tend to give you two or three spells you would otherwise have spent a Spell Known on.

Likely doesn't help you get a particular spell, though.

Corlindale
2012-01-27, 08:41 AM
Note that it is somewhat debateable whether Extra Spell allows you to pick a spell outside your normal list.

It's a little difficult to do otherwise, and I guess it will usually involve PRCs. I know the Wyrm Wizard gets to add a number of spells from any list to his class list - a sorceror could qualify for that with the Arcane Preparation feat. But that might be a bit too elaborate for your needs.

Aemoh87
2012-01-27, 09:21 AM
Note that it is somewhat debateable whether Extra Spell allows you to pick a spell outside your normal list.

It's a little difficult to do otherwise, and I guess it will usually involve PRCs. I know the Wyrm Wizard gets to add a number of spells from any list to his class list - a sorceror could qualify for that with the Arcane Preparation feat. But that might be a bit too elaborate for your needs.

Where is Wyrm Wizard from and what kind of cheese are we talking?

Corlindale
2012-01-27, 09:38 AM
I think it's dragon magic.
It's not really cheesy, the main attraction is that you get to pick five spells from any list over the course of the class. As I recall the other stuff is pretty minor, but I don't really have the book with me at present.

Talionis
2012-01-27, 04:50 PM
Wyrm Wizard is in Dragon Magic. The problem with it is you loose a caster level.

If the spell is a Divination Spell you can do it with the Unseen Seer Prestige Class its in one of the Complete Books.

The other option is research spell. In the DMG1, there is a process to research a spell. Any spell on the Wu Jen list would be a good candidate since it should already be balanced for its level. But I'd say if you put the resources into it required in the DMG then it would most likely be appropriate.

Fable Wright
2012-01-27, 05:14 PM
Extra Spell, by RAW, will only add a spell known from your spell list. So it won't get you a Wu Jen spell if it's not on the Sorc/Wiz list.

For Sorcerers, obvious recommendation is a Bloodline feat, from Dragon Magazine. Adds one spell known per spell level. Not all great, but they tend to give you two or three spells you would otherwise have spent a Spell Known on.

Likely doesn't help you get a particular spell, though.

Also by RAW, sorcerers are not constrained to any spell list for their spells known.

A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

Bolded for emphasis. It is actively implying, as well, that you are not constrained to the sorcerer/wizard spell list. If you're going strictly by RAW, next spell he learns/retrains could be Wu Jen. The feat would be more than enough.

Chronos
2012-01-27, 05:18 PM
There's also a PrC somewhere (either Libris Mortis or Heroes of Horror) that lets you add necromancy spells from other classes.

What's the specific spell you're trying to get? Knowing that might help us find something.