PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim: The Opera - worth persuing?

Dark_Stalion
2012-01-27, 09:05 AM
So I've been working lately on a project where I turn the main story of Skyrim into an opera. Currently I'm wondering if it's worth doing. Considering the number of views the average skyrim video gets and how many I am getting on Youtube, it seems that it may be utterly pointless, as demonstrated in the following picture (sorry for the size):

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/Darkstalion/Skyrimoperawbg.png

However, the people who have seen the videos are often overwhelmingly complimentary. Thus the question remains, is it purely neich appeal, or is it just because my videos are not reaching enough people that I am getting such low viewer numbers?

For reference the videos can be found at the following links:

Act 1 - Scene 1 - A Fresh Start (http://youtu.be/kVSQ7DDx2Yw)

Act 1 - Scene 2 - Saved by the Dragon (http://youtu.be/0XnIPobxkzU)

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts would be appreaciated :)

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-01-27, 10:14 AM
How does the saying go?

Oh right.

Please sir, may we have some more?

No really. I am infinitely entertained by the notion of Skyrim as an opera, and I must admit that the execution is much, much better than anything I could have hoped for. So yeah. Do more of 'em, I'll watch 'em.

I know virtually nothing of opera, singing or anything related classical music so I can't really comment on the technical aspects, other to say it's sounds good to me.

Starbuck_II
2012-01-27, 10:27 AM
I thought it was decent. I'd listen.

Radar
2012-01-27, 12:16 PM
I liked it so far. Will definately check it from time to time to see the progress.

Dark_Stalion
2012-01-27, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys :) So you don't think this just has neich appeal? Where do you think I should post it to get more views?

HFool
2012-01-27, 03:38 PM
I'm not going to watch it and I think you'll probably quit before the first act is written, bout yeah, go for it!

Coidzor
2012-01-27, 05:50 PM
Certainly seems like better fodder than Terminator 2: The Opera. (Not safe to link, has some expletives)

Do things well and word of mouth and people experiencing it for themselves will tell with time.

Plus, experience get.

Partysan
2012-01-27, 06:13 PM
The idea is glorious and the execution surprised and amazed me with its professional quality.

Two things to remark: Try to get some other Skyrim-loving singers on board. Polyphony is great, diversity is as well. Of course, rather stay alone than let bad contributions ruin your project. Mediocre perfomers can still make a usable choir and choirs are awesome.
Also, don't let Skyrim lead you into doing a lot of epic narration, it's often the arias rather than the recitative that are remembered of an opera. (Don't overdo that, but a few pieces just going for musically awesome are nice.)

Detail: I loved how you flinched at the execution and looked away for a few seconds. Gave the video some character.

I will be keeping and eye and ear on this.

Tengu_temp
2012-01-27, 10:24 PM
I approve of a Skyrim opera as long as there will be no songs about Fus Ro Dah. I can't think of a less funny internet meme.

DonutBoy12321
2012-01-27, 10:28 PM
I approve of a Skyrim opera as long as there will be no songs about Fus Ro Dah. I can't think of a less funny internet meme.

.... You know he can't keep that promise.
But seriously, no Arrow to the Knee song.

Tono
2012-01-27, 11:47 PM
I will watch it. I will spread it, do more. Its awesome.

And you know 2k views is not bad. Thats bigger then some small populations. If you enjoy it, do it.

IrnBruAddict
2012-01-28, 09:35 AM
Good idea and a very cool video. You must have some lungs on you. Liked, Faved, Subscribed.

The best part was the shift in the music after the dragon roared. The entire escape scene was awesome, fast paced but still fitting the mood you had already established. I don't listen to much opera so take my compliments as just a big fan of good video game music.

Scarlet Knight
2012-01-28, 01:55 PM
So much potential! I can't wait until we get duets.

Dragons, magic swords, dwarven rings...it's so Wagnerian! Just don't take twenty minutes to sing good-bye.

Partysan
2012-01-29, 05:51 AM
... I love the second scene. The "don't I get a second chance" is beautiful and the part after the dragon attack has great instrumentals - I'd use that for my DMing in a heartbeat.
By the way - is there any chance you'd offer the audio for download somewhere?