PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing Races for Rogues

koboldish
2012-01-27, 09:41 AM
I'm gonna play a rogue/assassin in the next campaign I join. The DM likes to stick to the rules, so he has not killed and buried the multiclassing penalties :smallfurious:. He likes to stick to the rules, but won't let me play a venerable dragonwrought kobold (so no sorcerer). I need a mediumm sized race with a dex bonus with favored class rogue. Please help!

Palthera
2012-01-27, 09:45 AM
Halfling? And I know it's not a favoured class but elves make excellent rogues...

koboldish
2012-01-27, 09:46 AM
Halflings are small sized, and Elves get xp penalties.

Torq
2012-01-27, 09:48 AM
I think Tiefling has favored class: Rogue.

EDIT: You can go Lesser Tiefling to get rid of the LA and still keep the DEX bonus.

hydraa
2012-01-27, 09:56 AM
MM3 - Kenku

With LA or HD adjusts

MM1 - Bugbear
MM3 - Witchknife

dextercorvia
2012-01-27, 10:00 AM
If Rogue is your only Base Class, why do you need a race with it as your Favored Class?

Darrin
2012-01-27, 10:02 AM
I need a mediumm sized race with a dex bonus with favored class rogue. Please help!

Kenku (MMIII)
Hadozee (Stormwrack) Note: they get Dodge as a bonus feat, check p. 151.
Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) Tiefling (online article)

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-27, 10:02 AM
If Rogue is your only Base Class, why do you need a race with it as your Favored Class?

Yeah, PrCs don't give xp penalties.

koboldish
2012-01-27, 10:12 AM
Prc's don't give xp penalties?

dextercorvia
2012-01-27, 10:20 AM
Prestige Classes

Prestige classes offer a new form of multiclassing. Unlike the basic classes, characters must meet Requirements before they can take their first level of a prestige class. The rules for level advancement apply to this system, meaning the first step of advancement is always choosing a class. If a character does not meet the Requirements for a prestige class before that first step, that character cannot take the first level of that prestige class. Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing.

No. They don't.

koboldish
2012-01-27, 10:28 AM
Epic! Any ideas for a single weapon assassin build?

Amoren
2012-01-27, 10:34 AM
Naztharune Rakshasa?

Edit: Single weapon..? Hmmm, I believe there is a two-handed finessable weapon from Complete Adventurer, probably your best bet if you want to go single weaponry and dex base, although I believe its an exotic weapon (could probably use the rule from Races of Stone to be proficient with it as an elf).

koboldish
2012-01-27, 10:35 AM
I want to get into assassin as soon as possible, so I have to nix level adjustment.

Pilo
2012-01-27, 11:31 AM
Great Axe. No rules forbide you to use SA with a great Axe.
Do a dwarf Rogue1/Fighther1/Rogue3/AssassinX in heavy armor and with a great axe.

Dump Cha and Wiz.
Stat: Str>Dex>Con>Int>Cha(no one want to be a ugly dwarf...)>Wiz.

28pts buy:
14+2 = 16

koboldish
2012-01-27, 11:45 AM
By the way, which book are the multiclassing rules about PRC's in? I couldn't find them.

dextercorvia
2012-01-27, 11:47 AM
Great Axe. No rules forbide you to use SA with a great Axe.

I prefer Glaive or Guisarme, because of the reach. Also, if the DM balks, you can show him the awesome picture of a Rogue using a Polearm to Sneak attack in the SpC. Honestly, if you are going to spend the feat either way, then Spiked Chain is your best bet, except the prereq's suck (with trying to get it and Weapon Finesse ASAP). Use a Longspear before you get the proficiency.

However, there is no rule that says Rogues have to dump Strength, either. You get a lot of skill points, and other forms of bonus to Hide, etc. You can afford to settle for a 16 in Dex. That frees up enough points that you can not worry about Weapon Finesse.

dextercorvia
2012-01-27, 11:48 AM
By the way, which book are the multiclassing rules about PRC's in? I couldn't find them.

Probably the DMG, I pulled it from D20sr.org from the Prestige Class section.

koboldish
2012-01-27, 11:59 AM
It is not in the DMG, but it is in the official wizards SRD. I will see if I can convince my DM.

dextercorvia
2012-01-27, 12:16 PM
It is not in the DMG, but it is in the official wizards SRD. I will see if I can convince my DM.

If it isn't there, then it is probably the PHB. I seem to remember seeing it, but I'm AFB.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-27, 12:33 PM
If it isn't there, then it is probably the PHB. I seem to remember seeing it, but I'm AFB.

Or in the DMG errata.

KoboldCleric
2012-01-27, 12:40 PM
It's in the FAQ: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a)

In the previous version of the D&D game, having levels in a
prestige class never caused you to pay the experience
penalty for being a multiclass character without uneven
class levels. (The prestige class levels didn’t count when
checking to see if you had a penalty.) The section on
prestige classes in the new DMG no longer mentions that
you don’t suffer an experience penalty for having levels in a
prestige class. Is this a change or an error?
It’s an error. Having levels in a prestige class won’t give
you an experience penalty.

koboldish
2012-01-27, 02:10 PM
My DM will probably let me have no xp penalties if it is in the FAQ on wizards.com. Thanks.

Curmudgeon
2012-01-27, 03:19 PM
While the FAQ answer is right (and despite not being official, most of their answers are correct), the reason why it's correct is that there simply aren't any special multiclassing rules that apply to prestige classes. That includes the Player's Handbook, because it isn't the primary source for prestige class rules: that's the Dungeon Master's Guide. The Player's Handbook is the primary source for base classes.
Errata Rule: Primary Sources

When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player's Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for playing PC races, and for using base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the Dungeon Master's Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player's Handbook, you should assume the Player's Handbook is the primary source. The Dungeon Master's Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities. The Uneven Levels rule imposing an XP penalty for multiclass characters is in the Player's Handbook on page 60, and applies to all base classes. The PH lacks authority to extend the rule past base classes, so it can't apply to prestige classes (Dungeon Master's Guide) or racial hit dice (Monster Manual).

Chronos
2012-01-27, 05:04 PM
Incidentally, why do you want to be Medium? Small is good for a rogue, in general.

Especially Whisper Gnomes.

Tvtyrant
2012-01-27, 05:08 PM
Or Muckdweller archers with a bat mount. Mmmm, AC bonus.

DementedFellow
2012-01-27, 05:39 PM
Multiclassing Races for Rogues

Maybe you should take a dip in Beholder. (http://rustyandco.com/comic/26/)

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-27, 05:54 PM
Go here:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0

And crtl-f (or command-f, whatever) for 'rogue'.

ORione
2012-01-27, 06:03 PM
While it seems that your problem has been resolved, I would like to submit goblin as a race with a Dex bonus that favors rogues.

NNescio
2012-01-27, 06:17 PM
While it seems that your problem has been resolved, I would like to submit goblin as a race with a Dex bonus that favors rogues.

They are also small (unlike OoTS goblins). And crappier than most other small races.