PDA

View Full Version : Weilding a bow and arrows- but not like that.

Mystify
2012-01-27, 11:33 AM
Become dragonblooded(dragonborn would be the ideal choice)
take the dragon tail feat
take the prehensile tail feat.
get an elvencraft longbow
take two weapon fighting, then multiweapon fighting.
get quickdraw(debatable if needed)

You now use a longbow as a quarterstaff, while drawing arrows with your tail and using them as 1-shot daggers. You are now wielding a bow and arrows as melee weapons.

You can then enchant the arrows with spell-storing, and get a collection of spells to stab into people. While you can use the bow as a ranged weapon if you find yourself in need of a ranged weapon, the primary combat style is multiweilding in melee. Since you can interchange melee and ranged attacks in the same round, you could theoretically use rapid shot to get an extra ranged attack(you would want to go after an ability to fire in melee without attack ops, but that is not hard to get), then get a full triple weilding attack progression.

This is intended more for the irony than actual optimizations, but it does have some perks.

Gullintanni
2012-01-27, 12:06 PM
I'm reasonably sure that using a bow and an arrow as melee weapons does not actually change their designation to melee weapon. They're still ranged weapons and ammunition. They're just being used in Melee. At the moment you enchant the items, they're ranged weapons.

And, didn't we go through this not long ago?

Yep...here it is (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12519864#post12519864).

Mystify
2012-01-27, 12:37 PM
I'm reasonably sure that using a bow and an arrow as melee weapons does not actually change their designation to melee weapon. They're still ranged weapons and ammunition. They're just being used in Melee. At the moment you enchant the items, they're ranged weapons.

And, didn't we go through this not long ago?

Yep...here it is (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12519864#post12519864).
You can enchant the bow as a melee weapon at least, it says so on the elvencraft section. It says you have to enchant it for melee seperately from ranged.

I've always viewed the enchantments for ranged/melee not so much as what you can put on an item, but what you can use on an item. Spell storing doesn't normally work on arrows because you are not weilding it when it hits, so you can't trigger it. Weilding it in melee allows the enchantment to function, even if it won't when fired from the bow. Nonetheless, the spell storing arrows are a bit cheesy, but they are not the point. That was just an attempt to justify doing that instead of just using a dagger.

This character would need GMW support. 1 for each end of the bow, and 1 for their 50 arrows for the day. This would enchant their ranged attacks as well as their arrow stabbing.

The biggest advantage with this style would be confusing the enemy. "Oh look, an enemy archer, I should stand next to them!" *whack whack whack whack whack whack thud stab stab stab*

Gullintanni
2012-01-27, 01:07 PM
The biggest advantage with this style would be confusing the enemy. "Oh look, an enemy archer, I should stand next to them!" *whack whack whack whack whack whack thud stab stab stab*

Eh...not much of an advantage really. A character fighting this way is using two improvised weapons and takes penalties for two-weapon fighting. So you're taking a sub-par fighting style and making it more sub-par.

If you really want to pull this off, the easiest, most RAW defensible way to do it is to use Reach + Chained Glyphs of Warding on arrows//bolts//javelins et al.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-27, 01:10 PM
Eh...not much of an advantage really. A character fighting this way is using two improvised weapons and takes penalties for two-weapon fighting. So you're taking a sub-par fighting style and making it more sub-par.

If you really want to pull this off, the easiest, most RAW defensible way to do it is to use Reach + Chained Glyphs of Warding on arrows//bolts//javelins et al.

Er, he's using an Elvencraft bow.

Although he really should just get a short sword instead of wasting arrows and taking the improvised weapon penalty.

Gullintanni
2012-01-27, 01:11 PM
Er, he's using an Elvencraft bow.

Although he really should just get a short sword instead of wasting arrows and taking the improvised weapon penalty.

I'm guessing Elvencraft bows are specifically useable in melee? I've never seen them before.

Mystify
2012-01-27, 01:16 PM
I'm guessing Elvencraft bows are specifically useable in melee? I've never seen them before.

Races of the wild. An elvencraft shortbow is used as a club, the longbow is a quarterstaff. So basically this character has a quarterstaff that can shoot arrows.

And this is not meant to be an optimal build. Its meant to be an ironic build.

Gullintanni
2012-01-27, 01:32 PM
Races of the wild. An elvencraft shortbow is used as a club, the longbow is a quarterstaff. So basically this character has a quarterstaff that can shoot arrows.

And this is not meant to be an optimal build. Its meant to be an ironic build.

I know, there are just more practical ways (and RAW conclusive) ways to achieve the same sort of silliness.