PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Faking a failed save?

The Glyphstone
2012-01-27, 12:39 PM
By RAW, a spellcaster always knows if a creature passed its saving throw or not. Is there any way to trick a caster into believing the opposite result?

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 12:43 PM
Personally I would potentially allow a Bluff check with a fairly steep, but doable, penalty to pretend to be under the influence, so to speak.
But by RAW? I don't know.

Tenno Seremel
2012-01-27, 12:54 PM
This only works for targeted spells. Effect and area spells do not provide this kind of info. So… if you can, maybe change your spell to a ray or something.

EDIT: eh… trick spellcaster… no idea then %)

Illven
2012-01-27, 12:56 PM
In unearthed arcana one of the spelltouched feats, False pretense makes it so even if you succeed against a charm or compulsion effect, the opponent believes you failed the save.

Alaris
2012-01-27, 12:57 PM
In unearthed arcana one of the spelltouched feats, False pretense makes it so even if you succeed against a charm or compulsion effect, the opponent believes you failed the save.

I have been ninja'd... but this is the only way I know of, Rules as Written.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-27, 01:10 PM
Bingo. Thanks all.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 01:11 PM
Neato! It's in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#falsePretenses) if anyone is interested in the particulars.

Bakkan
2012-01-27, 03:40 PM
The disobedience spell from Complete Scoundrel lasts hours/level, blocks (no save necessary) all ongoing magical control effects, and the enemy caster has to make a Will save or believe you are under the effects. Essentially it is like the False Pretenses feat except that it's a spell, works against a potentially larger set of effects, and you don't need to save.

Edit: Best of all it's a 3rd-level spell, so it can go into an eternal wand for 10 hours/day of protection.

Psyren
2012-01-27, 06:35 PM
How would that work with Dominate though? If they tried to use the sensory link function they'd get nothing, and start being suspicious.

Ravens_cry
2012-01-27, 09:33 PM
Another downside is that THEY get a Will save, and Will tends to be a casters good save.

The Glyphstone
2012-01-27, 11:07 PM
Disobedience actually wouldn't work for my purposes here, since I'm looking to guard against a [Compulsion] effect that doesn't give ongoing control. It'll have to be False Pretenses.

Elboxo
2012-01-28, 09:38 PM
For other spells that don't provide a visible change, like a curse or hold or something, personally I'd allow a spellcraft check to tell what the spell did, then a Bluff check against the caster's sense motive, though the caster would recieve a bonus (+5? 10 if they had spell focus) on the sense motive check.

Cieyrin
2012-01-28, 10:01 PM
For other spells that don't provide a visible change, like a curse or hold or something, personally I'd allow a spellcraft check to tell what the spell did, then a Bluff check against the caster's sense motive, though the caster would recieve a bonus (+5? 10 if they had spell focus) on the sense motive check.

Sounds like a skill trick to me. Like False Theurgy but coming at it from the other end, so you can seem like you failed the save as opposed to casting something else than what you seemed you were going to.

Thurbane
2012-01-28, 10:07 PM
I have been ninja'd... but this is the only way I know of, Rules as Written.
The Jaebrin (MM5) have a racial ability, Feign Enchantment, which achieves similar results (although they are immune to enchantments, so a saving throw isn't involved).