PDA

View Full Version : Too many attacks of opportunity [PF]

Karthas077
2012-01-27, 01:50 PM
Situation:
You have an Unarmed barbarian with "Come and Get Me" and "Unexpected Strike" rage powers.
The barbarian then takes the feat trees to get "Combat Reflexes", "Step up and strike", and "Snake Fang"

For the purposes of this experiment we're going to assume this barbarian is going to dodge everything thrown at it, and has an infinite number of attacks of opportunity.

Enemy 1 Attacks the barbarian ONCE while he's using "Come and get me" and misses.

Does this provoke two attacks of opportunity? One from come and get me, and one from Snake Fang for missing?

Enemy 1 then takes a five foot step from one square the barbarian threatens to another the barbarian threatens.

Does this also provoke two attacks of opportunity? One from Unexpected Strike, and one from "Step up and Strike"?

I'm fairly certain it's Yes to the first case, and "I don't know" in the second.

Reasoning: In the first case, one is for making the attack, the other is for missing, technically two different sources for the AOOs, therefore both apply.

But in the second case it's just one five foot step provoking both for the same reason... : /

Thoughts?

Xerinous
2012-01-27, 02:14 PM
Yes, I believe the first scenario would provoke two attacks of opportunity, but the second would not by my interpretation. Step Up and Strike says you can make the step and take the attack of opportunity when an opponent moves away from you. The way I read it, since he's not leaving the threatened area, just out of one of the squares and into another, I'd say he's not moving away, so it doesn't provoke.

Actually, you might get two attacks in the situation, but it would be one from him leaving a threatened square and one from Unexpected Strike, not one from Step Up and Strike.

Karthas077
2012-01-30, 10:19 AM
Actually, you might get two attacks in the situation, but it would be one from him leaving a threatened square and one from Unexpected Strike, not one from Step Up and Strike.

Five foot steps don't provoke attacks of opportunity without something like Unexpected Strike or Step Up and Strike coming into play.

I believe you are right about the Step up and Strike requiring the opponent to be moving AWAY from you, which is something I overlooked.

I think I have this satisfactorily resolved, but if anyone has new information it'd be appreciated.