PDA

View Full Version : Highest Dominate DC Ever

SowZ
2012-01-27, 06:01 PM
I am trying to create a level 20 character with a Dominate ability that has a DC that is ludicrously high.

No super cheese. No infinite loops for example or serious exploits. But OP feats, classes, powers that work together well, items with powerful side effects, etc. are all fair game. Except for no orange ioun stones.

I do not intend to use this as a PC, but as an enemy for a realm where everyone and everything is subject to him. So far, Psion 10/Thrallherd 10 looks as good as anything. However, I've considered dipping into something for two to get some essentia but not sure what I should do.

Race: Old Gray Elf

Feats: Vow of Peace for +4 to your save
Overchannel for a possible +3
Psionic Endowment for a +1
Greater Psionic Endowment for a +1
Inquisitor (Pre-req Thrallherd)
Craft Wondrous Item
Practiced Manifester to not lose out on two ML levels for Thrallherd and possible dips to get more essentia

Assuming I only go eight levels of Psion that is two extra feats I have available, but one of them is going to be used to take advantage of the essentia so should I get a Psicrystal?

Items: Torque of Power Preservation for -1 PP cost
+10 Int Headband
+5 Int Tome

Total Int: 42

Standard Save for Psionic Dominate is 14, standard cost in PP is 7
ML 20 means I can cat 20 PP and I get -10 to my PP cost from Thrallherd 10. That means a total of -12 cost, so -5. I can spend 24 PP to augment the Dominate for a +12 DC. That's 26. My Int. gives me a +16. That's a DC of 42. +9 from feats means 52. How do I get this higher?

This has sort of become a thought experiment as well.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Okay. So we'll make the Int Headband +6, which drops the save to 50. We will take 3 levels in wizard, two levels in Psion, 5 levels in Thrallherd. With practiced Manifester, we lose no manifester levels. But we lose the minus 5 to dominate cost form 5 Thrallherd levels. This drops the save to 48. But then we go 10 levels in Cerebremancer. Our spare feat is used to increase our ML by our CL. This gives us +13 ML which allows us to increase the save by 6. We also have one floating PP we can spend so if we can increase our CL by one, we are looking at another +1.

Right now we are sitting at 54. We have some extra cash, though, for extra items. Since I didn't want to get into the ML/CL transparency debate earlier, I nixed orange ioun stones. Also, more than one seems cheesy a bit. So if we give him one stone... The save is now 55. Or 53 if we want the spell to last for 30 days. How else can we increase the CL? It is far easier than increasing ML. Also, we have a bunch of spells now. We are a 13 lvl. wizards, after all.

Hey, why don't we take the Practiced Caster feat instead of craft wondrous item to give us a +4 CL and so possible +2 DC. 56...

FMArthur
2012-01-27, 06:10 PM
+10 Int Headband? Is that really a thing you can buy? I thought they only went up to +6.

Dazed&Confused
2012-01-27, 06:10 PM
I'm not familiar with psionics, but Veil of Allure(MiC, pg 145) should increase the DC of enchantment spells and spell-like abilities by +2.

Btw, I think an arcane caster could be better increasing that DC and the effectiveness of the spells, due to Shadow Weave Magic stuff, the "cold focus" combo(if Dragon Magic is allowed). You should check enchanters handbook if you go this way http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867266/Enchanter_Handbook

Other things I would add if you went for an arcane caster: 4 lvls in Fatespinner, or Incantatrix levels/Incantatrix cohort for things like Heighten Spell.

NichG
2012-01-27, 06:13 PM
More Int is generally the easy answer, though if you could key off of Wisdom it'd be easier. Why? Because of Owl's Insight, a ridiculously broken stat-buff spell that gives you a scaling uncapped Insight bonus to Wis that you could dominate a friendly cleric or druid into providing.

If you really want to see how high it can go, Team Solars milks pretty much everything in the system for its boosts. I don't know what their Int was like, but they had multiple 100s in their stats. Not advised for actual play.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-27, 06:18 PM
Not exactly an improvement to the DC, but you can dip bard 1, grab Doomspeaker (Champions of Ruin) and Extra Music (Eberron Campaign Setting) if you have the feats, and then blast your target with a DC 30+Cha Will save or take a -10 penalty to all saves for one round. Then you drop your Dominate ability. The Extra Music feat gives you 5 uses per day, if you don't want to take it, you have 1 per day instead.

gkathellar
2012-01-27, 06:24 PM
Psiotheurgy from Dragon 349 is the easiest way to boost your manifester level sky-high, which will in turn make your Dominate DC insane.

SowZ
2012-01-27, 06:38 PM
I'm not familiar with psionics, but Veil of Allure(MiC, pg 145) should increase the DC of enchantment spells and spell-like abilities by +2.

Btw, I think an arcane caster could be better increasing that DC and the effectiveness of the spells, due to Shadow Weave Magic stuff, the "cold focus" combo(if Dragon Magazine is allowed). You should check enchanters handbook if you go this way http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867266/Enchanter_Handbook

Other things I would add if you went for an arcane caster: 4 lvls in Fatespinner, or Incantatrix levels/Incantatrix cohort for things like Heighten Spell.

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Not exactly an improvement to the DC, but you can dip bard 1, grab Doomspeaker (Champions of Ruin) and Extra Music (Eberron Campaign Setting) if you have the feats, and then blast your target with a DC 30+Cha Will save or take a -10 penalty to all saves for one round. Then you drop your Dominate ability. The Extra Music feat gives you 5 uses per day, if you don't want to take it, you have 1 per day instead.

Of course, the save for the music attack would have to be higher than teh potential Dominate DC to be worthwhile.

Psiotheurgy from Dragon 349 is the easiest way to boost your manifester level sky-high, which will in turn make your Dominate DC insane.

So with three levels of wizard, two levels of psion, 5 levels of Thrallherd, and ten levels of Cerebremancer I could really take advantage of that...

+10 Int Headband? Is that really a thing you can buy? I thought they only went up to +6.

It would be an epic item yeah, so it couldn't be crafted without an epic item creation feat. My mistake.

More Int is generally the easy answer, though if you could key off of Wisdom it'd be easier. Why? Because of Owl's Insight, a ridiculously broken stat-buff spell that gives you a scaling uncapped Insight bonus to Wis that you could dominate a friendly cleric or druid into providing.

If you really want to see how high it can go, Team Solars milks pretty much everything in the system for its boosts. I don't know what their Int was like, but they had multiple 100s in their stats. Not advised for actual play.

Yeah, the Solar's are an interesting idea but not something I would actually do.

As for the first part, the Cohort could be a Cleric... But how would you go about keying Dominate off of wisdom?

Infernalbargain
2012-01-27, 06:50 PM
If you do a 3.P mix, you can do an empyreal sorcerer for that wis arcane casting (kobold it up to make up for the delay)

Elboxo
2012-01-27, 08:40 PM
I don't think getting the DC absurdly high is your problem. ( Tainted Scholar/Tainted Sorcerer can achieve this by merely being evil, which could still be under you vow of peace. ) Your main problem is going to be dominating those who are immune, though if you are using this as an NPC who is controlling the commoner masses, maybe this can be ignored.

One of the coolest methods of domination is via the Mother Cyst feat.

Give people cysts, they get a save and SR applies, but after that you get dominate person as a 4th level spell with no save, and as a 7th level spell you get Necrotic Tumor: If they pass their save it counts as dominate person, if they fail, they are permanently under your control as a braindead minion.

Also lets you scry on anyone with a Necrotic Tumor, and other stuff.
Mother Cyst is in Libris Mortis.

So how do you dish out the necrotic cysts to everyone? Get a potion brewer, you cast a heightened Necrotic Tumor into the potions they make.

When it's done, prestidigitation for taste/smell (The taste of necromantic cysts isn't too appealing.) and start shipping out, or pour it into the water supply.

KillianHawkeye
2012-01-27, 08:58 PM
So how do you dish out the necrotic cysts to everyone? Get a potion brewer, you cast a heightened Necrotic Tumor into the potions they make.

When it's done, prestidigitation for taste/smell (The taste of necromantic cysts isn't too appealing.) and start shipping out, or pour it into the water supply.

Potions can only go up to 3rd level spells.