PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence Score and Monster Actions

gibbo88
2012-01-27, 06:50 PM
So, at what intelligence level, generally, would a creature analyse which creatures are a threat?

Eg: I'm planning on using an undead with an Int of 8 and Wis of 13, would it have the nonce to attack first those that looking like they can actually hurt them?

Curmudgeon
2012-01-27, 07:04 PM
Intelligence is a factor, but the real answer is that there are 6 (INT-based) Knowledge skills which identify creatures. Making the minimum associated Knowledge check (10 + HD) means you know whether something is a likely threat or not. Failing means you're clueless.

tensai_oni
2012-01-27, 07:07 PM
^
It's not about identifying monsters. It's the monster that does the identifying, most likely on the PCs. Assessing who looks like a dangerous warrior, who is a harmless-looking peasant guy, etc.

Everything above int 3 is sapient, like humans as opposed to animal-like intelligence. Okay, with int 4-6 the creature may act like it's mildly retarded or at least slow in the head. But 8? Definitely capable of the same thinking processes as an ordinary human.

Diskhotep
2012-01-27, 07:08 PM
Assuming the undead is free-willed and therefore able to act on its own initiative, I'd say a creature with those stats would definitely be able to assess a threat and react accordingly.

As a rough rule of thumb, your Int 8 undead is the equivalent of someone on the slower, uneducated end of normal human intelligence. As long as the undead can draw on personal knowledge or experience (i.e., remembers from his living days that white robes and a sun-mace equal undead-hating clerics), or is otherwise able to react to the situation, it would take appropriate actions.

I wouldn't bother trying to quantify when a creature is smart enough. If it is (or was) a member of an intelligent humanoid race, it should have a basic knowledge of what humanoids are capable of.

gibbo88
2012-01-27, 07:10 PM
Ok, cool, thanks. Considering it was likely executed by magic, I'd say it would be pretty anti-those bastards.

Curmudgeon
2012-01-27, 10:38 PM
It's not about identifying monsters. It's the monster that does the identifying, most likely on the PCs. Assessing who looks like a dangerous warrior, who is a harmless-looking peasant guy, etc.
It's the same rules both ways. You need Knowledge (local) to know about Humanoid creatures, regardless of your own type. A party of PCs categorizing the threat level of some Orcs, and a party of Fey categorizing the threat level of some Humanoid PCs use identical rules. (The PCs trying to assess the Fey would need Knowledge (nature) instead.)

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-27, 11:14 PM
Anything with an INT score, especially above 3 will have basic survival instincts, and once the INT score gets to low for it to be proper, intelligent reasoning I'd revert to the WIS score (since that deals more with instincts and gut feelings.), either way your undead may be a bit uneducated but he's not stupid, and he certainly has a decent WIS score, so yes he'd be able to recognize danger perfectly fine.

And just strictly by the rules, RAW wise knowledge checks goes both ways, just remember an untrained knowledge check will never be above 10. :p

Mystify
2012-01-28, 01:13 AM
8 should be plenty int for identifying threats, but there wouldn't be high-level tactics involved.

Thurbane
2012-01-28, 08:31 PM
It's the same rules both ways. You need Knowledge (local) to know about Humanoid creatures, regardless of your own type. A party of PCs categorizing the threat level of some Orcs, and a party of Fey categorizing the threat level of some Humanoid PCs use identical rules. (The PCs trying to assess the Fey would need Knowledge (nature) instead.)
I disagree somewhat - Knowledge checks on creatures is to identify them and special powers and vulnerabilities. I think it fair to assume that most creatures with a reasonable INT score could identify the hulking guy in full plate with the greatsword, or the guy chucking Fireballs as a threat, regardless of race related features.

Besides, what is a a Knowledge check on a human adventurer likely to reveal to a monster? "Oh hey, this guy has an extra feat and skill points, but no low-light vision or special resistances".