PDA

View Full Version : LGBTAI+ LGBTAitP - Part 20: Critical Hit!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

The Succubus
2012-02-20, 04:11 AM
A man with a hat collection is still more than the sum of the movements needed to change hats.

I also find It odd you corellate 'complex' with 'lacking depth'.

Really should see about getting a nifty hat of some sort. My hair is thinning a little on top and I need something to keep my head warm. Trouble is I'm not sure what sort of hat would suit me or where I could get one in the UK.

Nix Nihila
2012-02-20, 04:21 AM
Really should see about getting a nifty hat of some sort. My hair is thinning a little on top and I need something to keep my head warm. Trouble is I'm not sure what sort of hat would suit me or where I could get one in the UK.

Take up millinery! Or you could buy one if that sounds like too much work, but make sure to get the opinion of a fashionable friend. There are a lot of hats which people think they would good in, but they really wouldn't. At all.

Unfortunately, I don't have suggestions for where to get a good hat, not living in the UK and all...

Coidzor
2012-02-20, 04:47 AM

:smallconfused: I imagine that the UK would have a fair amount of haberdashers, hatters, and milliners in various states of sanity lurking about in businesses that have been passed down for generations. Finding one here in the States is annoying and the non-dedicated shops that peddle them are very much at the mercy of the general lack of fashion in what passes for general tastes and trends. And I say that with a straight face.

My city didn't have a single one for a period of about 4 or 5 years after one that had been like an institution of the downtown business community folded under questionable and shady circumstances, just found out there's a new place that opened up within the past 5 months.

Worst comes to worst though, I imagine there's resources for how to get your size online and ways to size up what would look good on you and then order such a hat in your size using the powers of internet vendors.

Oops! In my defence, I was responding to a direct question. Of course I find long, queer hair even better! :smallwink::smallsigh:

Heliomance
2012-02-20, 06:34 AM
Ok, lass, I've spent two days trying to think of a response other than 'dayum'. It hasn't really worked.

The difference is amazing. You're right, the subtle shift of body does wonders; so does your attitude.

:smallredface: I can't really think of any response to this other than shyly happy squeeing. Thanks everyone for your kind compliments (even if they are unfounded flattery :smalltongue:)

I've been thinking about androgyny and such, and as far as I can see there's a problem. If you start presenting as the opposite sex, it's obvious what you're doing. But androgyny, by its very nature, is more subtle. It's all very well to try and avoid giving off gender cues, but people that know you already know what sex you are and are going to see that no matter what. If you swap completely, then eventually the new gender cues will override the old and perceptions will change. But if you're not giving off any, then there's no new input to override the old perceptions.

KenderWizard
2012-02-20, 07:01 AM

Do ye not have hats in the UK? If I was looking for a hat, I would go to a Hat Emporium of some description, or perhaps a general Clothes Emporium which might provide hats in the accessories section.

So now we're on about straight people having bad hair, of all things? :smallconfused:

If not, why is this even a sub-tangent? :smallsigh: Knew that extra scrutiny was going to lead to silliness, but didn't think it'd start so soon.

[SARCASM]
Yes, Coid, I think straight people have terrible hair. I have always been baffled by the awfulness of the heteronormative community's hair, especially when contrasted with the lusciousness of the queers' hair. Makes me wonder how anyone ever stays in the closet; they must have to deliberately damage their own hair to remain undercover.
[/SARCASM!!!]

Someday I'll say something and Coidzor will understand roughly what I mean. In this case, I used the word "straight" to mean "not curly". Glass Mouse then pretended, using humour, that I used the word "straight" to mean "heteronormative", and hilarity ensued, as it is impossible for hair to have a sexuality! Because it's hair! And not people! Furthermore, the word "straight" has multiple meanings, and interpreting the unintended meaning in a sentence often leads to amusing absurdities. Oh, the laughter we did have. I replied, and in my reply, I pretended that I, also, believed that hair could have a sexuality, and, furthermore, that I preferred hair to have non-heteronormative sexuality. What a jape! #dontexplainthejoke

Coidzor
2012-02-20, 07:11 AM
I've been thinking about androgyny and such, and as far as I can see there's a problem. If you start presenting as the opposite sex, it's obvious what you're doing. But androgyny, by it's very nature, is more subtle. It's all very well totry and avoid giving off gender cues, but people that know you already know what sex you are and are going to see that no matter what. If you swap completely, then eventually the new gender cues will override the old and perceptions will change. But if you're not giving off any, then there's no new input to override the old perceptions.

Indeed, you'll notice that I am not one of the voices that compliments you on looking more feminine than most ciswomen, because while I can see that you have achieved greater androgyny than where you were before, the memory of you and your beard is still relatively fresh and a strong association.

Heliomance
2012-02-20, 07:29 AM
Indeed, you'll notice that I am not one of the voices that compliments you on looking more feminine than most ciswomen, because while I can see that you have achieved greater androgyny than where you were before, the memory of you and your beard is still relatively fresh and a strong association.

Indeed. And while the adulation and compliments are very nice, and what I needed on Friday, what I'd prefer now that I'm not melting down is honest critique. I don't want to be told that I'm perfect and pass without comment when I don't, I want to know where I'm failing, what I need to work on. I don't want to be deluded into thinking I pass better than I do, because the real world isn't as friendly as here.

The Succubus
2012-02-20, 07:47 AM
The long hair does a lot to help with the feminine look and the choice of jeans gives a very feminine curve to your waist. The T-shirt is good but your arms have a more masculine appearence to them. Might be worth experimenting with different tops?

Sorry, I'm not very good at this stuff. >.>

Astrella
2012-02-20, 08:30 AM
Is there a special cootie incolation procedure for trans women?

And we're mentioned on Natalie's blog. (freethoughtblogs.com/nataliereed/2012/02/19/lazy-sunday/)

I can now die a happy man. :smallbiggrin:

Awesome. :D

*snip*

They look lovely~ (Maybe a bit too textury, but that might be the picture.)

Indeed. And while the adulation and compliments are very nice, and what I needed on Friday, what I'd prefer now that I'm not melting down is honest critique. I don't want to be told that I'm perfect and pass without comment when I don't, I want to know where I'm failing, what I need to work on. I don't want to be deluded into thinking I pass better than I do, because the real world isn't as friendly as here.

Oh, hmm, you might wanna check out r/transpassing on Reddit, they have a ton more experience with this.

Androgyny:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/268/1/6/_androgyny__by_papershibuya-d4awur0.jpg

supernerd
2012-02-20, 08:52 AM
Where did the whole discussion of where cultural taboos about sexual practices start? I can't seem to find the start of the thread

I'm not sure, but it was only a few pages ago, when someone (sorry to he and/or she who posted it) that LGBTness wasn't ever listed a sin. But sodomy was one of the major roadblocks in accepting my homosexuality. But I believe Leviticus 18:22 has something to say about that.

Serpentine
2012-02-20, 09:17 AM
Take up millinery! Or you could buy one if that sounds like too much work, but make sure to get the opinion of a fashionable friend. There are a lot of hats which people think they would good in, but they really wouldn't. At all.My sister looks good in all hats - to the point where she was vaguely considering getting into hat modelling.
I look good in no hats.
:frown:

I'm no good at picking hats for people, although after seeing a couple over the last few days I really must throw in a vote for top hats.

noparlpf
2012-02-20, 10:20 AM
Oh yay, I remember that. I read the bible when I was 12. You have any idea how awkward it was for my parents to explain that passage to me?

I do not have any idea because we did that whole discussion when I was two.

Do ye not have hats in the UK? If I was looking for a hat, I would go to a Hat Emporium of some description, or perhaps a general Clothes Emporium which might provide hats in the accessories section.

[SARCASM]
Yes, Coid, I think straight people have terrible hair. I have always been baffled by the awfulness of the heteronormative community's hair, especially when contrasted with the lusciousness of the queers' hair. Makes me wonder how anyone ever stays in the closet; they must have to deliberately damage their own hair to remain undercover.
[/SARCASM!!!]

Someday I'll say something and Coidzor will understand roughly what I mean. In this case, I used the word "straight" to mean "not curly". Glass Mouse then pretended, using humour, that I used the word "straight" to mean "heteronormative", and hilarity ensued, as it is impossible for hair to have a sexuality! Because it's hair! And not people! Furthermore, the word "straight" has multiple meanings, and interpreting the unintended meaning in a sentence often leads to amusing absurdities. Oh, the laughter we did have. I replied, and in my reply, I pretended that I, also, believed that hair could have a sexuality, and, furthermore, that I preferred hair to have non-heteronormative sexuality. What a jape! #dontexplainthejoke

Reading this was an excellent way to begin my day.

Nix Nihila
2012-02-20, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure, but it was only a few pages ago, when someone (sorry to he and/or she who posted it) that LGBTness wasn't ever listed a sin. But sodomy was one of the major roadblocks in accepting my homosexuality. But I believe Leviticus 18:22 has something to say about that.

There is that thing where different sects (and I'm not trying to use that word in the pejorative sense) interpret things differently, but we shouldn't even be talking about theology on this forum, so if we could stop bringing up religious issues, that would be for the best.

My sister looks good in all hats - to the point where she was vaguely considering getting into hat modelling.
I look good in no hats.
:frown:

I'm no good at picking hats for people, although after seeing a couple over the last few days I really must throw in a vote for top hats.

Put me down on the list of people jealous of your sister. I haven't found a hat that actually looks nice on me either.

Top hats can be nice, as long as you don't overdo it (although I suppose if you do it thoughtfully enough it might still look good).

Asta Kask
2012-02-20, 10:50 AM

Clothes, general attitude and long hair are all good. I would probably have guessed (?clocked?) if I had some time to study you, but for a casual contact you'll do fine. There's the chin... and there's really not much we can do about that without breaking out the bone drill. Unless some clever make-up can help disguise it - I know buggerall about make-up. Boobs would be nice.

We learned about complimenting with cissexism last week on THE BLOG... so I really don't know what's safe to say about you. What is your goal here?

Heliomance
2012-02-20, 11:15 AM
Clothes, general attitude and long hair are all good. I would probably have guessed (?clocked?) if I had some time to study you, but for a casual contact you'll do fine. There's the chin... and there's really not much we can do about that without breaking out the bone drill. Unless some clever make-up can help disguise it - I know buggerall about make-up. Boobs would be nice.

We learned about complimenting with cissexism last week on THE BLOG... so I really don't know what's safe to say about you. What is your goal here?

Hmm, just went and read that blog post, and it made me think, as well.

There are boobs there, slightly. The angle doesn't really show them, but I had a (slightly) stuffed bra on.

When I took those pictures, my driving need was to get as far away from male as possible. On a more normal day, my overall, eventual goal is, I think, honest-to-goodness can't-make-the-call androgyny. If I have to have any gender cues, I think I'd prefer them to be feminine, but I'd rather not have any. I like the idea of three different people looking at me, and having one think I'm male, one think I'm female, and the third have absolutely no idea.

Asta Kask
2012-02-20, 11:19 AM
You do androgyny well. If your goal is to sow confusion, then you are ready.

Heliomance
2012-02-20, 11:27 AM
But... hmm. It's an odd distinction, but I think what I'm currently doing is putting out conflicting gender cues, rather than none. And that seems, to me, like the kind of thing that gets you read not as "not sure if guy or girl", but as "freak". And I think that the masculine cues (especially facial shape and beard shadow, not to mention voice) are currently the stronger ones.

Lix Lorn
2012-02-20, 11:36 AM
I only wear things other then pants when I'm at a formal occasion, and then only begrudgingly.
I love skirts. And dresses. A lot.

That said I'd do my best not to flash my undies at anyone. O_o

Asta Kask
2012-02-20, 11:58 AM
But... hmm. It's an odd distinction, but I think what I'm currently doing is putting out conflicting gender cues, rather than none. And that seems, to me, like the kind of thing that gets you read not as "not sure if guy or girl", but as "freak". And I think that the masculine cues (especially facial shape and beard shadow, not to mention voice) are currently the stronger ones.

Well, it's not like you have a full beard and F-cups... everyone has a few 'cross-gender' characteristics, but as long as they add up pretty evenly you should be ok.

Mystic Muse
2012-02-20, 12:20 PM
I love skirts. And dresses. A lot.

That said I'd do my best not to flash my undies at anyone. O_o

Yeah, that's just...rude and tasteless really. Can't see why anybody wouldn't have the basic tact to avoid doing that, unless they were doing it intentionally.

Kindablue
2012-02-20, 12:33 PM
Boobs would be nice.

There are few more widely applicable sentences.

Lix Lorn
2012-02-20, 12:36 PM
I am glad you quoted that cause I missed it. xD

Nix Nihila
2012-02-20, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't really be offended if someone inadvertently showed me their undergarments. I would be uncomfortable if they were doing it to try and garner my attention, and my eyes might be offended since panties are not usually very nice looking. Mostly I might be embarrassed for them.

KenderWizard
2012-02-20, 12:55 PM
Reading this was an excellent way to begin my day.

:smallredface: Well, at least it made someone happy! I felt bad about it afterwards, so sorry I lost patience, Coid. My excuse is stress and a lack of patience at the way we never seem to be able to communicate with each other properly.

Hmm, just went and read that blog post, and it made me think, as well.

There are boobs there, slightly. The angle doesn't really show them, but I had a (slightly) stuffed bra on.

When I took those pictures, my driving need was to get as far away from male as possible. On a more normal day, my overall, eventual goal is, I think, honest-to-goodness can't-make-the-call androgyny. If I have to have any gender cues, I think I'd prefer them to be feminine, but I'd rather not have any. I like the idea of three different people looking at me, and having one think I'm male, one think I'm female, and the third have absolutely no idea.

I think you're doing well! I suppose what you want to do is accentuate your natural feminine cues and mask your natural masculine cues. Plenty of women have small breasts and strong jaws, so don't lose hope, and don't underestimate the power of clothes and make-up. For a subtle androgyny, starting from male, I'd probably experiment with some concealer foundation things in your exact skin tone (you can try them out in the shop on your hand) and maybe a thin dark brown or dark grey application of eyeliner on your lower lid.

I wouldn't really be offended if someone inadvertently showed me their undergarments. I would be uncomfortable if they were doing it to try and garner my attention, and my eyes might be offended since panties are not usually very nice looking. Mostly I might be embarrassed for them.

Edit: I quoted Nix and forgot to actually say anything! I just wanted to say that, having actually had people accidentally flash panties my way, I agree. It's not like it causes your eyes to bleed or anything, it's just people-parts in slightly embarrassing garments, that you don't usually see!

Heliomance
2012-02-20, 01:01 PM
Heh, I'm wearing both foundation and eyeliner in that picture :P

supernerd
2012-02-20, 01:06 PM
Nearly a week late, but I had just about the best Valentine's Day ever this year!

When I woke up, I saw that after one day, my first submission on a writer's forum received a favorite. Then at school I got a carnation leftover from the school sale(yellow=thank you) for being there for a friend that was going through a tough break up, and still is. Then came the only down side, the guy with who we have established the having of feelings of mutual attraction was looking for poetry to romance a girl, but the day was going pretty well and I noted it on, he's a 5 and our parents don't approve of us having a romantic relationship.

But anyway then I got the bonus point on my math test after explaining how I got the proof to work. Then I got three carnations(two white=friendship, one pink=secret admirer) one of the white ones was from the friend that gave me the yellow one and had a simple card. The pink one is from my best friend, and she signed it "the Succubus." No not that one, but because of an inside joke. Her note made me smile the entire time. The other white one was from my other best friend, he wrote an amazing note, reminding me to finish a charachter sheet and make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But what really got to me was what came with the note. It was a question sheet(we used them last year to figure out things like who he was dating and such) with the sentence "for old time's sake, you know what to do." on the side margin perpendicular to the lines. I d*** near cried. then my speech and IPR classes went well

At the end of the day, when I was saying goodbye to the guy mentioned before that with whom I am in a state of mutual attraction, I kissed him on the cheek. He was startled but he said he was okay with it. He's not the biggest on certain forms of physical intimacy, but his arm does find it's way around my shoulders quite often. But yeah, so it was a great day. Several things went very well, and the problems were all fixed.

So yeah.

Arachu
2012-02-20, 01:18 PM
All I've really seen from this blog in the last thre threads has been tumult and negativity. This is a thanks for folks here bein so swell. That is immediate pay off.

Folks focus on the negativity, because a good portion o this thread is, even if indirectly, about combating that negativity. It's all right here because most o these folks don't want to find a happy ending, they want to make one. Wonder if Coidzor or Lix will make the joke first...
There is beauty in the world. There is also sorry and terror and hatred. Leaving the world alone and just looking at the pretty stuff is meaningless. Shifting the balance is the entire point!

Every negative story posted prompts a response, and action.
Every positive story prompts 'dawwww~' and that's it.

As a system, things run best with just enough D'awww that no one burns out.

I've been thinking that all year, but I couldn't quite work it into words. *thumbs-up* :smallsmile:

I'm nowhere near able to ... make brain work good. To make talking about things. So I'm just going to... not much. Major problem with conference: no work got done over the weekend and I've got two deadlines and a practical exam tomorrow morning at 9am. :smalleek:

:smallsigh: I know way more about brain not working good than I care to. *hugs*

I'd recommend taking a short break, but that tends to result in falling asleep for a couple of hours...

Anisotropy means the texture is different depending on which direction you're looking at. We would say it "has a fabric". So there's a fast direction (the direction the components - in this case, mineral grains - have lined up in) and a slow direction (where the wave is trying to go through perpendicular to the preferred direction). Anisotropy is a marker of flow. If you've got fast in the north-south direction and slow in the east-west direction, the rocks are probably flowing from north to south or south to north. This is hot, ductile rock at depth. When the rock is brittle, it breaks instead.

You can also use seismic velocities (and we did) to look at how hot the rocks are. Waves can pass through cold, strong rocks much faster than warm ones.

Also, all of these rocks are solid. It seems to be a common misconception that the mantle is liquid. Only the inner core and pockets of actual magma are liquid, and even then, the magma is very viscous.

That makes sense... It also contains more information than the sum of geological lessons I underwent in school. :smallbiggrin:

I may work in a bit of geology with my Wikipedia studies... I mean, I'm already brushing up on chemistry and... What do they call the study of radio waves again? I wanna say radiology, but I think that's radiation in general... Well, it should fit in nicely with what I'm already figuring out. :smalltongue:

:smallredface: I can't really think of any response to this other than shyly happy squeeing. Thanks everyone for your kind compliments (even if they are unfounded flattery :smalltongue:)

They aren't flattery. You're damn pretty. :smallsmile:

(... And uh, I'm not just saying that for being part of the group. :smalltongue:)

I've been thinking about androgyny and such, and as far as I can see there's a problem. If you start presenting as the opposite sex, it's obvious what you're doing. But androgyny, by its very nature, is more subtle. It's all very well to try and avoid giving off gender cues, but people that know you already know what sex you are and are going to see that no matter what. If you swap completely, then eventually the new gender cues will override the old and perceptions will change. But if you're not giving off any, then there's no new input to override the old perceptions.

It's also something of a role, I'd imagine. Just presenting as a given sex implies using the cues, so they become a sort of 'gauge' to measure how well you're doing - of course, this leads to others reacting more dramatically...

Sorry if that was incoherent - I just realized that all of the grumpy-looking people who've been staring at me were probably wondering whether I was female. :smallbiggrin:

Succubus made a good point (maybe longer sleeves would help?)... Your facial structure is vaguely masculine, but I have really good scrutiny so that's probably even subtler to most people. There's probably a way to style your hair that can offset it, but the only ones I can think of are for shorter hair...

I was able to notice the stuffing, though my memory's a bit hazy... You found a nice size balance, if I may be so bold. :haley:

They look lovely~ (Maybe a bit too textury, but that might be the picture.)

:smallbiggrin:

The texture was that Crackle stuff - when it dries, it leaves those neat cracks everywhere. I'm not too fond of it over blue, but I bet it looks awesome on white. :smallsmile:

By the way, how are things? It seems like you've been posting less lately (though that my just be my terrible lack of time perception :smalltongue:).

Androgyny:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/268/1/6/_androgyny__by_papershibuya-d4awur0.jpg

Ooh... S/he's handsome-pretty. :smalltongue:

Put me down on the list of people jealous of your sister. I haven't found a hat that actually looks nice on me either.

Top hats can be nice, as long as you don't overdo it (although I suppose if you do it thoughtfully enough it might still look good).

I can't even find a hat that fits (my hair even keeps the stretchy ones from staying). :smallfrown:

Maybe I should make one when I can finally make that skirt...

Heliomance
2012-02-20, 01:41 PM
I'm surprised people are singling out my arms as tells. That's not something I'd thought of aside from shaving my forearms. What is it about them that gives it away?

Addendum to Asta: despite my goal being androgyny, you're not going to offend me by saying I look female or anything. Just as long as it's true! What I'm looking for most is honesty.

Al'izh'dheg
2012-02-20, 01:45 PM
True, but humans are weird like that. And I, for one, am totally in favor of long hair.

Now, if only I could convince my boyfriend of this..........

I love long hair! It's sometimes a pain, but I much prefer myself with long hair than not.

I am glad you quoted that cause I missed it. xD

Boobs would be nice.

Quoted it again so Lix doesn't miss it again. :)

I'm surprised people are singling out my arms as tells. That's not something I'd thought of aside from shaving my forearms. What is it about them that gives it away?

Addendum to Asta: despite my goal being androgyny, you're not going to offend me by saying I look female or anything. Just as long as it's true! What I'm looking for most is honesty.

Heliomance, I haven't commented because I'm horrible about fashion and what makes somebody pass and what not. What I can tell you is that, from a simple gut instinct blind-test... you passed better with your changes that the picture I'd seen before.

I can tell you that I still read you as male, but not particularly masculine. I think that's what I mean at least. Your appearance would be enough that, in passing, I would definitely have to take a second look to check for gender.

I will also say that I am SO GLAD that you did this. The hints and tips you are getting are wonderful, and this community is full of amazing people. Maybe one day I'll get the gumption to go shopping, put on makeup and see what suggestions people have for fixing it so I pass better. :)

Heliomance
2012-02-20, 01:53 PM
Heliomance, I haven't commented because I'm horrible about fashion and what makes somebody pass and what not. What I can tell you is that, from a simple gut instinct blind-test... you passed better with your changes that the picture I'd seen before.

I can tell you that I still read you as male, but not particularly masculine.
See, that's the worst of all possible worlds. That means I'm being read as "cissy boy", "******", and other such terms.
The auto-censored term is a word for a bundle of sticks.

Asta Kask
2012-02-20, 02:11 PM
And that might attract violence. Hmm... we don't want to lose our Heliomance. :smallfrown:

Lanaya
2012-02-20, 02:42 PM
Turning 18? Pretty cool.
Your father proudly telling you that you've finally become a man? Uhhh, yeah...

Closets are fun!

Asta Kask
2012-02-20, 02:51 PM
Just tell him he hasn't lost a son, rather he has gained a daughter. :smalltongue:

*hugs*

Arachu
2012-02-20, 02:59 PM
Turning 18? Pretty cool.
Your father proudly telling you that you've finally become a man? Uhhh, yeah...

Closets are fun!

*Hugs* Better than being reminded that you're still thought of as a baby boy... :/

Al'izh'dheg
2012-02-20, 03:40 PM
See, that's the worst of all possible worlds. That means I'm being read as "cissy boy", "******", and other such terms.
The auto-censored term is a word for a bundle of sticks.

No... nononoo.. Okay, see, this is why I shouldn't be allowed to post. :)

You do *not* look like a "cissy boy" At least not what I *think* a cissy boy is in my world view. *ponders some more* Okay, I'll try again.

I think the best way to put it is that if you're looking to be androgynous but not feminine, then you took a giant leap in that direction. You do not look like a "sissy" or anything like that (at least not in my opinion). I would not go so far as to say you look completely like a girl yet. But I would not say you look like a biker lumberjack ready to grab some power tools and "get a job with a drill" (to butcher an Eddie Izzard quote).

You do not strike me at all as somebody who is a bundle of sticks, or a British cigarette or umm... umm... I'm running out of things to say. I'd like to say that my ability to sense that sort of thing is pretty good, and I don't get that kind of vibe from you at all.

Mina Kobold
2012-02-20, 04:17 PM
Because you're talking about the possibility of an entity which actually lacks depth and only has the window dressing if we're still following the same line of thought that started all of this.

Keveak asserted that maybe being shallow and lacking depth and just being nothing more than a collection of masks was actually a good thing and was a valid answer as to someone's "real self."

I replied that I rather doubted that such a person could truly exist, as even the most consummate skin-changer has something underneath it all. If you want to start to try to psychoanalyze me, I suppose I could share that I also find the idea rather demeaning to the human spirit and cold comfort as something said to reassure someone who is re-examining their entire persona and life.

And then you jumped in and here we are.

So it's more that I find your usage of the word complex to be inappropriate.

Can't for the life of me figure out how you think your first point runs counter to my stance when it pretty much just re-encapsulates my initial assertion from the standpoint that having a lot of hats leads to depth rather than going with the original stance that lacking depth is OK because one has a lot of hats to make up for it or my response to the original stance which was that I rather doubted any human being could truly exist without something more than just a bunch of lousy hats to their personality and self.

My apologies if I worded myself in a confuddling manner, but that was not my intention. m(_ _)m

I didn't intend to come off as saying that it was good to lack depth, in fact I believe I mention that there could be reasons behind it other than being shallow. Not wishing to cause others unneeded annoyance, for example. Also said that it could be a part of a person's self, not the entire thing. Just as what one wears can be a big part of a person's self while being seemingly just aesthetical at first glance.

In short, I was musing whether the masks might be products of a personality rather than nemesi of it. :smallsmile:

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nearly a week late, but I had just about the best Valentine's Day ever this year!

When I woke up, I saw that after one day, my first submission on a writer's forum received a favorite. Then at school I got a carnation leftover from the school sale(yellow=thank you) for being there for a friend that was going through a tough break up, and still is. Then came the only down side, the guy with who we have established the having of feelings of mutual attraction was looking for poetry to romance a girl, but the day was going pretty well and I noted it on, he's a 5 and our parents don't approve of us having a romantic relationship.

But anyway then I got the bonus point on my math test after explaining how I got the proof to work. Then I got three carnations(two white=friendship, one pink=secret admirer) one of the white ones was from the friend that gave me the yellow one and had a simple card. The pink one is from my best friend, and she signed it "the Succubus." No not that one, but because of an inside joke. Her note made me smile the entire time. The other white one was from my other best friend, he wrote an amazing note, reminding me to finish a charachter sheet and make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But what really got to me was what came with the note. It was a question sheet(we used them last year to figure out things like who he was dating and such) with the sentence "for old time's sake, you know what to do." on the side margin perpendicular to the lines. I d*** near cried. then my speech and IPR classes went well

At the end of the day, when I was saying goodbye to the guy mentioned before that with whom I am in a state of mutual attraction, I kissed him on the cheek. He was startled but he said he was okay with it. He's not the biggest on certain forms of physical intimacy, but his arm does find it's way around my shoulders quite often. But yeah, so it was a great day. Several things went very well, and the problems were all fixed.

That is adorable. Glad to see someone having fun at Valentine's Day. :3

Not that I weren't having fun, but it wasn't exactly related to the holiday. Unless you count Raiden and Rose's relationship as Valentiny. :smalltongue:

@Lanaya: That sounds pretty unfortunate. You could try replying that you are glad to be an adult? That would probably not confuse anyone and be more accurate. :smallsmile:

Lix Lorn
2012-02-20, 04:21 PM
I think the kind of androgyny is such that if you were presenting as a girl, you wouldn't get stopped and questioned about it, but equally neither would you as a boy. The qualifier is that if your presentation was equally androgynous, they would guess male.

I think.

KenderWizard
2012-02-20, 05:42 PM
If I had a good figure I think I would go for the androgynous look. I don't like to think about it too much, though. Hating my blobbiness is the closest I come to understanding dysmorphia, I think. Although, the other day I tried on some trousers and actually liked the look of my fat bottom. :smallredface:

That sounds awesome!

We went to have dinner and see the Muppets, it was fantastic! (For some reason it came out much later here than Stateside. :smallannoyed:)

Women are supposed to have curvy arms, kind of soft and not muscular or angular. I'm not sure I would have picked it out myself, but there are definitely ways of softening your arms using the cut of your sleeves. Three-quarter length sleeves are exclusively feminine, as far as I can tell. And, again, plenty of women have angular and/or muscular arms, so it's not going to doom you to failure.

supernerd
2012-02-20, 06:30 PM
That sounds awesome!

We went to have dinner and see the Muppets, it was fantastic! (For some reason it came out much later here than Stateside. :smallannoyed:)
I loved that day. And that sounds like you two had fun, I'm probably the kind of person who would take my boyfriend to just about any movie.

Women are supposed to have curvy arms, kind of soft and not muscular or angular. I'm not sure I would have picked it out myself, but there are definitely ways of softening your arms using the cut of your sleeves. Three-quarter length sleeves are exclusively feminine, as far as I can tell. And, again, plenty of women have angular and/or muscular arms, so it's not going to doom you to failure.

Hey! I enjoy my sleeves three quarters! Oh, yeah... Flaming...

Triscuitable
2012-02-20, 06:49 PM
I do not have any idea because we did that whole discussion when I was two.

I picked the wrong time to be eating hard candy. :smalltongue:

noparlpf
2012-02-20, 07:55 PM
Hey, Kender, as the resident period expert, is there such a thing as a "safe day"?

pffh
2012-02-20, 08:06 PM
I can see the strength of "hir" over the x or z versions, but does "hir" cover enough ground?

I've seen "hir" used as an object, in place of "him" and "her", but as the subject of a sentence, what takes the place of "he" or "she"?

So this came up in the "quick note" thread and I didn't find anything satisfactory with a quick googling so now I'm wondering if anyone here uses hir and if you do what do you prefer to use instead of she or he? Or is Hir just used instead of him, her, she and he?

Kneenibble
2012-02-20, 10:14 PM
I feel even more driven to drink than usual after a crummy dating experience this week. I could use some gay Internet hugs. :smallfrown:

Nix Nihila
2012-02-20, 10:16 PM
I feel even more driven to drink than usual after a crummy dating experience this week. I could use some gay Internet hugs. :smallfrown:

:smallfrown:

I've got plenty of internet hugs for you. And cuddles, chocolate, tea, and some photos of hot men looking quite fashionable, should you want any of them.

*commences with the hugging*

Cobra_Ikari
2012-02-20, 10:21 PM

*snuggles for Kneen*

Boo crummy dates. :smallfrown:

supernerd
2012-02-20, 10:38 PM

The guy with whom I have affirmed a state of mutual attraction(it's complicated stuff involving parents) says that I act like a 7 on the Kinsley scale(which 6 is exclusively homosexual). Is that gay enough?
*hugs really tightly*

Triscuitable
2012-02-20, 10:51 PM

I'm afraid I must respectfully decline.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/12/121367/2115716-47e.jpg
Or at least, issues with contact.
Here's a digital hug instead.

*HUGGINGNESS*

Kneenibble
2012-02-20, 10:52 PM

I've got plenty of internet hugs for you. And cuddles, chocolate, tea, and some photos of hot men looking quite fashionable, should you want any of them.

*commences with the hugging*

These things you offer are the highest medicines, mademoiselle. Thank you. *hugs*

*snuggles for Kneen*

Boo indeed.
Hello by the way, scarce but fine person.
*hugs*

The guy with whom I have affirmed a state of mutual attraction(it's complicated stuff involving parents) says that I act like a 7 on the Kinsley scale(which 6 is exclusively homosexual). Is that gay enough?
*hugs really tightly*

Too gay is not nearly gay enough, in my book!
*hugs*

*HUGGINGNESS*

Heh.
I appreciate the spirit of hug at least. Thank you.

Urge to drink... falling.
not that I could it's a holyday and the stores are closed early, but never mind
lousy Louis Riel

turkishproverb
2012-02-20, 11:00 PM

*HUGS* sorry for the bad date. Hopefully it'll get better. *hugs*

*snuggles for Kneen*

Hi cobra! *hugs*

*HUGGINGNESS*

...I think I know what that's from...

Triscuitable
2012-02-20, 11:03 PM
...I think I know what that's from...

Good. It's a shame so few know of it. I'm not even a romantic, and I loved it!

Cobra_Ikari
2012-02-20, 11:11 PM
Hi cobra! *hugs*

Hey, Turkish. =3 *snuggles*

EDIT: I know what it's from, and I've never cried so much in my life.

Also, possibly best/second best soundtrack ever.

Serpentine
2012-02-20, 11:13 PM
Hey, Kender, as the resident period expert, is there such a thing as a "safe day"?Seeing as no one's answered you yet...
There are peaks and troughs in female fertility. You're more likely to get pregnant on some days than others. However, using them as contraception is extremely tricky and unreliable at best, and completely useless at worst, and close enough to completely useless to make it an extremely bad idea to try on average.
Women may be completely infertile during their periods, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if even that's not true.

Arachu
2012-02-20, 11:18 PM

Technically I qualify as a bi/lesbian... Still male-bodied, though. *hugs*

Oh, how tempted I am to draft up some blueprints for an electrolytic thingy... Like, in case I ever get parts that would actually work... [/sing-song]

Kindablue
2012-02-21, 12:38 AM
Happy birthday, Soft Serve!

That's no fun. :smallfrown: *gay internet hug*

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 01:31 AM

I'm straight. Can I hug you anyway?

Deth Muncher
2012-02-21, 01:43 AM
Man, this is weird. I never thought I'd actually be posting here for "for me, for realsies" advice. But uh, here it goes.

So, I...hm. How to put this...okay. I am physically a man. I have a sexual and romantic preference for women, and not for men. I have no desire to lose my penis via surgery. And yet...I just don't really feel like a guy? If that makes sense? This is something I've been bouncing around in my head for a while, and I'm trying to figure out what this is. Personally, I find myself at odds with many gender conventions for guys - I'm just...kinda...neutral? Is that a thing? But before you say yes or no, I guess my main point here is I'm not sure if I'm actually [insert PC term for whatever that is] or if I'm just an "enlightened individual" - as in, I can look past gender conventions because I see them for what they are - societal constructs. Or maybe they aren't mutually exclusive?

I'm sorry, this whole post is just a big jumble, but that's where my head is at too and I'm afraid it's difficult to make any sense of things. If this sounds like anything that makes sense to any of you, I'd greatly enjoy your input.

EDIT:

Also,

It's not a gay internet hug, but you can have one from me none the less. And a promise of precisely one drink, should you ever visit my locale.

Arachu
2012-02-21, 02:16 AM
Man, this is weird. I never thought I'd actually be posting here for "for me, for realsies" advice. But uh, here it goes.

So, I...hm. How to put this...okay. I am physically a man. I have a sexual and romantic preference for women, and not for men. I have no desire to lose my penis via surgery. And yet...I just don't really feel like a guy? If that makes sense? This is something I've been bouncing around in my head for a while, and I'm trying to figure out what this is. Personally, I find myself at odds with many gender conventions for guys - I'm just...kinda...neutral? Is that a thing? But before you say yes or no, I guess my main point here is I'm not sure if I'm actually [insert PC term for whatever that is] or if I'm just an "enlightened individual" - as in, I can look past gender conventions because I see them for what they are - societal constructs. Or maybe they aren't mutually exclusive?

I'm sorry, this whole post is just a big jumble, but that's where my head is at too and I'm afraid it's difficult to make any sense of things. If this sounds like anything that makes sense to any of you, I'd greatly enjoy your input.

There are a couple of things that could be - agender (the total lack of a gender), genderqueer (having both masculine and feminine aspects), androgyne (somewhere... Between genders? Need to learn more about that one)... There's a list of terms on the first page of every thread (it's quite useful). :smallsmile:

Technically you wouldn't "lose" your penis through SRS (Sexual Reassignment Surgery) so much as you would have it reconfigured into another shape. Preferring one set of genitals over the other doesn't define gender so much, though (which may or may not prove convenient to me if/when I ever decide how I feel about mine... :/).

In any case, *hugs* - I hope you figure it out eventually.

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 02:21 AM
Deth Muncher, see if you can find something here:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/nataliereed/files/2012/02/transgenderumbrella.jpg

Triscuitable
2012-02-21, 02:58 AM

I've always felt like that. Gender neutral. I honestly wouldn't care if I had gender reassignment, but then again, that's not cheap. I'll stick with what I have because that's how the cards were drawn.

... That's an excellent metaphor. I'll have to save that.

The Succubus
2012-02-21, 03:16 AM
Seeing as no one's answered you yet...
There are peaks and troughs in female fertility. You're more likely to get pregnant on some days than others. However, using them as contraception is extremely tricky and unreliable at best, and completely useless at worst, and close enough to completely useless to make it an extremely bad idea to try on average.
Women may be completely infertile during their periods, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if even that's not true.

Its partly down to this but also due to the fact that sperm cells can survive for up to a week after leaving the male. As Serpy said, its not a good idea.

KenderWizard
2012-02-21, 03:41 AM

*hugs*

Hey, Kender, as the resident period expert, is there such a thing as a "safe day"?

Seeing as no one's answered you yet...

Sorry; I was asleep!

As Serps said, there's a cycle of fertility. Trying to not make babies by only having sex during the less fertile parts is called the "rhythm method", here at least, and is way popular among strict Catholics and presumably other groups who don't go in for contraception. But it's not very effective, is never completely "safe", and the only way to do it properly at all is to constantly monitor your temperature, bodily fluids, periods, etc, which most people don't bother with. Like Succubus said, the sperm can last quite a long time as well. In theory, the "safest" time is right before the period. But obviously if you go too soon, the egg might still be viable and if you go too late, the sperm might last until the new egg is released.

So no, not really, is the answer!

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-21, 05:06 AM
Aaaand today, I learnt!
Thanks for the small lesson on fertility, guys. :smallsmile:

Heliomance
2012-02-21, 05:35 AM
Currently doing something simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying. For the first time ever (discounting crossdressing themed parties) I'm out in public en femme. I know I don't look male at first glance, and I havent noticed many -or indeed any - double takes, so I can't help but think I might actually be passing!

turkishproverb
2012-02-21, 05:42 AM
Aaaand today, I learnt!
Thanks for the small lesson on fertility, guys. :smallsmile:

And now you know.:smallbiggrin:

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-21, 06:00 AM
Currently doing something simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying. For the first time ever (discounting crossdressing themed parties) I'm out in public en femme. I know I don't look male at first glance, and I havent noticed many -or indeed any - double takes, so I can't help but think I might actually be passing!
Go you!
You're pretty, and I believe it's going to go well. :smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 06:02 AM

Big step. Here's hoping everything goes well.

Heliomance
2012-02-21, 07:19 AM
Current confused stare count: 1.

I have bumped into several people I know, though, and they all recognised me. Wonder what they thought?

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 07:48 AM
As long as that's the worst that happened, I'd count it as a win. I've heard stories of brutal beatings and even murder... :smalleek:

Heliomance
2012-02-21, 09:08 AM
Aye, though I imagine that's unlikely walking around university campus during the day.

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 10:28 AM
Read the new blog post about coming out here. (http://freethoughtblogs.com/nataliereed/2012/02/21/coming-out-part-two-of-four-spooking-disclosure-and-the-revolving-closet-doors/)

H Birchgrove
2012-02-21, 11:10 AM
I've submitted my own OC's The Purple Avenger and The Purple Pimpernel, and took the liberty of submitting QuerrKitty and a few Kobolds by Keveak, Dr Androgynous by A-Thousand-Words, and Geomancer by Astrella to the #Heroes-of-GiantitP (http://heroes-of-giantitp.deviantart.com/). :smallsmile:

I'll try to write a journal entry ASAP.

Still want more co-founders, contributors and members! (It *should* be possible to join now.) :smallsmile:

*offers bi-hugs*

Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2012-02-21, 12:32 PM

*Hugs and seductions*

KenderWizard
2012-02-21, 12:40 PM

Eeee! Exciting!! :smallbiggrin:

Also, that's really cool, Birchgrove. I'll try to remember to check it out when I'm not trying to do everything at once while asleep.

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 12:50 PM
If I had a good figure I think I would go for the androgynous look. I don't like to think about it too much, though. Hating my blobbiness is the closest I come to understanding dysmorphia, I think. Although, the other day I tried on some trousers and actually liked the look of my fat bottom. :smallredface:

Obligatory Musical Reference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0)

Lix Lorn
2012-02-21, 01:11 PM
I can't. :(
I can give bi Lixie internet hugs? Will they do?

Wow.
Congratulations!
And now I feel slow xD

Edit:

...yep. she's pretty good.

Arachu
2012-02-21, 01:15 PM

... Okay, I admit, I'm a little jealous right now. :smalltongue: *hugs*

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 01:25 PM
Maybe we should ask Natalie for a 'guide to passing as a woman'. She should know a thing or two about it.

Mina Kobold
2012-02-21, 01:26 PM
Good. It's a shame so few know of it. I'm not even a romantic, and I loved it!

I would be delighted to know it, but you need to say something's name before people can check it out! :3

On other tangents:

@Helio: Hope they thought that you looked groovy, or possibly that they missed something fun. Certainly what I would think if someone were suddenly dressing differently than normal. :smallsmile:

@H. Birchgrove: Yay! My chickenskratches that I call art have been useful! I would join as a co-founder or contributor, but I am not sure what co-founders do or how to do either one. ^_^'

@Nibbler of Knees, I am quite gay at the moment, so you shall get a big hug!

*GLOMP*

Might not be the way of gay you meant, but I am sure you don't mind. :smallwink::smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 01:27 PM
@Helio: Hope they thought that you looked groovy, or possibly that they missed something fun. Certainly what I would think if someone were suddenly dressing differently than normal. :smallsmile:

It was at college. They probably thought she had lost a bet... :smallsigh:

KenderWizard
2012-02-21, 01:43 PM

:smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 01:58 PM
I'm just sayin' there's a lot of people out there who like voluptuous women. Your boyfriend, for instance.

Al'izh'dheg
2012-02-21, 02:05 PM

Check your PMs hon. :)

H Birchgrove
2012-02-21, 02:06 PM
Also, that's really cool, Birchgrove. I'll try to remember to check it out when I'm not trying to do everything at once while asleep.

(I know that feeling...)

Thanks! The Purple Avenger needs Kenderwoman's help!

@H. Birchgrove: Yay! My chickenskratches that I call art have been useful! I would join as a co-founder or contributor, but I am not sure what co-founders do or how to do either one. ^_^'

I think it's a bit like being moderator. You get to vote in new members, new art and stories (favourites get approved automatically), write journals (if you want to), edit folders and other stuff, etc. :smallsmile:

KenderWizard
2012-02-21, 02:44 PM
I'm just sayin' there's a lot of people out there who like voluptuous women. Your boyfriend, for instance.

Spoilered for being an off-topic moan!

It's easy to know that in theory, and even know it's true, and yet, still very hard to feel good about myself. I used to be a better shape, like, curvy rather than chubby, but illness struck again. I know it's awful, but sometimes I think, since I'm sick anyway, why can't I have an illness that makes me lose my appetite, instead of preventing me from exercising while making me hungry all the time? I could be one of those stylishly waifish invalides, instead of being overweight and sick! The depressing part is, I'm actually the size of the average Irish woman, and a shade smaller than the size of the average American woman. But I've been taught very strictly that I'm far too fat and it's basically disgusting. I'm trying to be more like "Actually, I'm fine the size I am. I need to get my fitness back up to improve my health as I recover from this bout of illness, but my shape is fine." rather than "Why am I so incredibly fat and ugly? No wonder everyone hates me!" but, y'know, old habits and all that.

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I know all about those thoughts. When I was finishing school I weighed about 105 lbs. (I'm 6'). Now I weigh closer to 240 lbs. And my medicines make it even harder to lose weight... Ah, well. At least they keep me from killing myself.

Arachu
2012-02-21, 03:06 PM

It's easy to know that in theory, and even know it's true, and yet, still very hard to feel good about myself. I used to be a better shape, like, curvy rather than chubby, but illness struck again. I know it's awful, but sometimes I think, since I'm sick anyway, why can't I have an illness that makes me lose my appetite, instead of preventing me from exercising while making me hungry all the time? I could be one of those stylishly waifish invalides, instead of being overweight and sick! The depressing part is, I'm actually the size of the average Irish woman, and a shade smaller than the size of the average American woman. But I've been taught very strictly that I'm far too fat and it's basically disgusting. I'm trying to be more like "Actually, I'm fine the size I am. I need to get my fitness back up to improve my health as I recover from this bout of illness, but my shape is fine." rather than "Why am I so incredibly fat and ugly? No wonder everyone hates me!" but, y'know, old habits and all that.

*Hugs*

I've always been overweight... Even after all of the weight I lost last year, there's still a lot to go... I suppose there's a bright-ish side, though - I look considerably lighter than I am, and apparently the only part of me that isn't losing weight is my chest (which reminds me; it seems that I have breasts now :smallconfused: :smallsmile:).

Gah, I just made that about me didn't I... Feel better? *More hugs*

noparlpf
2012-02-21, 03:09 PM
Sorry; I was asleep!

As Serps said, there's a cycle of fertility. Trying to not make babies by only having sex during the less fertile parts is called the "rhythm method", here at least, and is way popular among strict Catholics and presumably other groups who don't go in for contraception. But it's not very effective, is never completely "safe", and the only way to do it properly at all is to constantly monitor your temperature, bodily fluids, periods, etc, which most people don't bother with. Like Succubus said, the sperm can last quite a long time as well. In theory, the "safest" time is right before the period. But obviously if you go too soon, the egg might still be viable and if you go too late, the sperm might last until the new egg is released.

So no, not really, is the answer!

That's what I thought. But I've run across the idea several times and I just wanted to check.

:<
I know that feeling. I am in pretty good shape, but I keep not managing to lose the little bit of a belly I put on over any break when I sit on my bum all day, and it bothers me.
And I have a Chinese friend who looks great, but she's convinced that she's overweight because she put on a coupe of pounds when she came to school here.

I can't feel my face! Well at least not my chin and lower lip. Feeling just came back in the edges of my jaw where there are these huge holes and the pain is mildly bothersome. I got my wisdom teeth out today!
Conclusions:
1. I don't like Valium. When they put that in the IV, I immediately had a wave of nausea and some weird itching in my crotch.
2. Local anesthesia feels weird.
3. Teeth look neat. (I got to keep mine, even though that's apparently illegal here. I was so persistent in asking that the guy said I could keep them.)

Triscuitable
2012-02-21, 03:14 PM
I would be delighted to know it, but you need to say something's name before people can check it out! :3

WAHAHAHA! I forgot to add that part. And you'll see why I did the laugh too.

The game is called Katawa Shoujo. (http://katawa-shoujo.com/) It's got an interesting story, on how a single sketch was able to actually able to inspire some members of 4chan to create a visual novel.

This is said sketch. WARNING: ABSOLUTELY ENOURMOUS
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8109/92527603.jpg

Anyways, the game is about a man named Hisao Nakai, who suffers a heart attack right as his girlfriend asks him out. Tough luck. Anyways, he's diagnosed with Arrhythmia, and recommended to go to a school that could help manage his condition, as every day of his life will involve managing 12+ medications.

And that's where the social medium of the game comes into play. The "katawa shoujo" of the game, or disability girls (though the literal translation is a bit more extreme), are introduced at this new school. Each one is affected by a different kind of emotional trauma, which is generally because of their disability, or how they became disabled.

The best part? They never treat the disabilities as a bad thing. Each of these characters has lived most of their lives with these conditions, and thus couldn't care less. No, really. That's fantastic, because, unlike the oh-so-many movies on Autism these days, this game actually doesn't even bother focusing on the disabilities of the characters. It's because, while they're integral to the plot, they're not traits the characters wish to, or need to be defined by.

For example: Shizune was born Deaf and mute (I capitalize Deaf for many reasons, notably because of the pride the community takes in that word). She grew up with a very arrogant, very stupid, and very ignorant father, who's convinced his daughter is "normal", and just playing coy (and yes, you will grow to hate her father). However, Shizune learned Japanese Sign Language, and has progressed phenomenally in school. She has an interpreter named Misha, who is the medium through which Shizune communicates through to others. Don't worry, if you pursue Shizune's "route" (as they're called), then you won't have to deal with Misha for long). Shizune doesn't even treat her disability as anything more than a trait. Her personality, which is commanding and powerful, is very quick to show itself, and shows that even with a mouth, she can be very, very scary. She's even managed to become the head of the student council! Oh, but she's only the first out of five routes!

There's a hidden route too, but it's spoilered for a reason!

Anyways, I managed to sympathize with the characters because I realized that's how I want to be treated, as someone on the Autism Spectrum.

I should note that it's generally rated 18+, as it does have some explicit scenes. It's barely an H-game, but for the love of God, don't discount it. You can disable the Adult Content in the options menu. The scenes don't even pop up until you've spent about 2 hours in a route, anyways.

As I posted above, it can be downloaded here. (http://katawa-shoujo.com/) It's freeware, but you'll need BitTorrent. They never accepted a dime for the project, so P2P is the only way it could be downloaded.

Coidzor
2012-02-21, 03:37 PM
Maybe we should ask Natalie for a 'guide to passing as a woman'. She should know a thing or two about it.

Oh dear. I just had the most horribly amusing and tasteless thought ever.

You may know how there's handbooks (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/)for (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830)D&D (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God), yes? Might've even found some on these boards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002) if you went to the wrong sub-forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156350) accidentally.

I'm now picturing this guide you postulated in Handbook format and tone.

It's... It's something alright.

Triscuitable
2012-02-21, 03:50 PM

You may know how there's handbooks (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/)for (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830)D&D (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God), yes? Might've even found some on these boards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002) if you went to the wrong sub-forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156350) accidentally.

And the thread's title makes even more sense than it ever did. Either that, or I didn't pick up on your sarcasm-to-text.

Mina Kobold
2012-02-21, 04:01 PM
Seems interesting enough, but I tend to avoid routed harem games because they tend to follow a "ONE true love" mentality. Does it do that? Because that tends to be anathema to me, as I would chose* to be friends with everybody who needs or could use a friend. :smallsmile:

Also can't install a game at the moment, which is sad. ;_;

On the note of the Autistic Spectrum, I am constantly scared that people will treat that as my sole defining trait. So maybe I should give the game a try when I can just for that angle. :smallsmile:

*Actually implementing this choice is quite difficult, though. No successes so far, although that will surely change!

Triscuitable
2012-02-21, 04:53 PM
Seems interesting enough, but I tend to avoid routed harem games because they tend to follow a "ONE true love" mentality. Does it do that? Because that tends to be anathema to me, as I would chose* to be friends with everybody who needs or could use a friend. :smallsmile:

NO! Oh god no, it's not in any way a harem game. H-game is the equivalent on an eroge. In other words, explicit sexual content. However, it only turns up late in the game, and as mentioned before, can be disabled.

As for the one-true-love idea, that's not present either. Each girl is on a seperate route. While some are friends (Emi and Rin, Lilly and Hanako), and there is a rivalry (Lilly and Shizune), they never swarm you. In fact, you never explicitly "date" until it becomes evident that both Hisao and the girl really do understand each other. Until then, it's a friendship.

As for going for a route with someone who could use a friend, two characters, Lilly and Hanako, are excellent choices. Lilly's route actually develops Hanako as a gradually more sociable person, and Hanako's route is more of a growing relationship between the two.

Both are fantastic. So is Rin's route, which is just amazing.

The Succubus
2012-02-21, 05:52 PM
Few bits and pieces:

@Mr Birchgrove - if you want to chuck any of the stuff I've done up on Deviantart, feel free. I don't have an account myself.

@Kneenibble: *pounce hugs* >:)

@Helio - This is a bold step forward for you! :smallsmile: I know it will work out well for you.

Jokasti
2012-02-21, 06:33 PM
D'awwwwwww...:smallredface:

I remembered when I announced my love for Jokasti here. That was a joke though.

A-a joke...!?
:small tongue:

Asta Kask
2012-02-21, 06:43 PM

Natalie's Guide to Passing. 3 new prestige classes - Drag Queen, Genderbender, Transitioner! Over twenty new spells including Grow Breasts and Momentary Distraction! New feats! New weapons! Your D&D game will never be the same!

pffh
2012-02-21, 07:00 PM
Natalie's Guide to Passing. 3 new prestige classes - Drag Queen, Genderbender, Transitioner! Over twenty new spells including Grow Breasts and Momentary Distraction! New feats! New weapons! Your D&D game will never be the same!

Eugh the genderqueer is so broken I mean what other prestige class combines all the best features of two base classes. Except of course the bisexual (Double sexuality progression!? Were the designers mad?)

Lix Lorn
2012-02-21, 07:06 PM
Eugh the genderqueer is so broken I mean what other prestige class combines all the best features of two base classes. Except of course the bisexual (TWO sexuality progression!? Were the designers mad?)
Best reply. xD

Astrella
2012-02-21, 07:27 PM
can we not have fetish porn in lgbta thread please

Have you actually played the game? Because it does a really great way of portraying characters without disabilities without making them just about their disabilities or treating them as people to be coddled. (And considering there is a KS thread on GitP and it hasn't been gotten rid of shows that it is an appropriate topic on these boards. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but have you played the actual game?)

Blisstake
2012-02-21, 08:16 PM
Eugh the genderqueer is so broken I mean what other prestige class combines all the best features of two base classes. Except of course the bisexual (Double sexuality progression!? Were the designers mad?)

Wait, how do you progress in sexuality in the first place?

Actually, don't answer that.

noparlpf
2012-02-21, 08:18 PM
Have you actually played the game? Because it does a really great way of portraying characters without disabilities without making them just about their disabilities or treating them as people to be coddled. (And considering there is a KS thread on GitP and it hasn't been gotten rid of shows that it is an appropriate topic on these boards. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but have you played the actual game?)

And because I'm bored and need something to distract me from my aching mouth, I think I'll make this my first galge. (I wanted to play Amagami, but I couldn't find it in English.)

Mindfreak
2012-02-21, 08:21 PM
Um, hello all!(haven't been here for a while...)

I have a bit of a question that has been bothering me...

I can't understand exactly why a boy would wish he was a girl and a girl would wish she was a boy...:smallconfused:
So if someone could explain it, it'd be appreciated.
To make things clearer, I'm talking about why would a person want to become the opposite gender, both through surgery and drag, if you will.

Triscuitable
2012-02-21, 08:26 PM

My hero! My savior! And also, that thread is dead. It last a while, but I guess everyone there completed it before I got there. :smallannoyed: It can live on in spirit here, though. It's a nice topic to talk about, love interests who are disabled, dealing with how that will affect a relationship.

noparlpf
2012-02-21, 08:27 PM

I can't understand exactly why a boy would wish he was a girl and a girl would wish she was a boy...:smallconfused:
To make things clearer, I'm talking about why would a person want to become the opposite gender, both through surgery and drag, if you will.

Well, I'm cissexual, so I have some trouble understanding the feelings myself. It's difficult to imagine how gender dysphoria feels the same way it's difficult to imagine how it would feel to be a woman. (If you're male.)
Let me start with your terminology. It's not exactly a boy wishing he were a girl or vice versa; it's a male-bodied woman wishing she had a female body, or vice versa. "Gender" or "gender identity" is like "mental" sex. "Gender expression" is how you act; there are transwomen who are tomboyish. So these people don't want to become the opposite gender. They want to alter their body to better match their gender or "mental" sex.
Hopefully this makes sense so far.

Serpentine
2012-02-21, 08:28 PM

To make things clearer, I'm talking about why would a person want to become the opposite gender, both through surgery and drag, if you will.Hoo-boy... You're really plunging into the deep end, huh? Good luck.

Mindfreak
2012-02-21, 08:32 PM
What's cissexual mean, exactly?:smallconfused:
No, it only makes a little bit of sense now.
I mean, I guess I can't really understand why someone wouldn't love their body the way it is, I guess.
I mean, I myself love my body, and I wouldn't trade my he for a she, if you get my drift.

Blisstake
2012-02-21, 08:32 PM

Well, you feel like you're male, right? Imagine you felt the exact same way, but you had a woman's body. Your mind and body are expressing two different genders, and one way to get them in harmony is by altering how you dress or altering your body through surgery so that the two are closer together.

I am not transexual myself, however, and I imagine someone who is could give a much better answer.

noparlpf
2012-02-21, 08:39 PM
What's cissexual mean, exactly?:smallconfused:
No, it only makes a little bit of sense now.
I mean, I guess I can't really understand why someone wouldn't love their body the way it is, I guess.
I mean, I myself love my body, and I wouldn't trade my he for a she, if you get my drift.

Cissexual is the opposite of transsexual. Transsexual means one's gender does not match one's sex. Cissexual means one's gender does match one's sex. Most people are cissexual.
As for the why? There's some evidence that it has to do with neurology; transsexual women's brains are more similar to cissexual women's brains than to cissexual men's brains, and vice versa. Or something like that.
Why should it matter why it happens anyway? Just the fact that there are people who feel that their body doesn't match their gender and that this causes a great deal of discomfort for them should be enough reason to believe that it does happen and to support them.

Mindfreak
2012-02-21, 08:44 PM
Blisstake, that's a very helpful point.

And noparlpf, it matters to me because I just don't really understand it. And if it were to happen to someone close to me I would of course support them fully, and I do believe it happens.

noparlpf
2012-02-21, 08:54 PM

And noparlpf, it matters to me because I just don't really understand it. And if it were to happen to someone close to me I would of course support them fully, and I do believe it happens.

Hmm. Do you have any neuroses? For me the descriptions I've heard sound kind of like how I get when I have a mysophobic episode. (Basically "germophobia".) Even if I'm in the shower or whatever everything feels dirty and weird and wrong and my skin feels like it's the wrong size and stuff. So I imagine gender dysphoria is like that, just all the time and because the brain's "map" of the body doesn't match what the body is like.

Mindfreak
2012-02-21, 09:01 PM
I have no idea what neuroses are. :I

But, what you get sounds kinda like what happens to me. Sometimes I just have to go clean up everything because everything HAS to be clean...

Rappy
2012-02-21, 09:07 PM
Oh, wow. I stop reading this thread for a little while and everyone goes gaga for Natalie Reed. I was reading Natalie Reed before it was cool to read her blog. :smallcool:*

*Not: Hipster sarcasm is not meant to be taken as real feelings on readership. Hipster sarcasm is not legal in the state of Kentucky, and your personal results may vary.

But going to echo Lix here, a lot of my coping is done by internets. :c
Same. I live in a region where transitioning is simply not feasible, so I exist in the "meatspace stealth identity" route.

It's not that a boy would wish to be a girl or vice versa. It's that a boy is in a girl's body, or vice versa. The brain and the body simply don't match.

Imagine, to use a D&D analogy, that you are a centaur, and a Wizard polymorphed you into a cow. I'd imagine you'd feel rather out of place, no?

Well, imagine that you were polymorphed into a calf right after your centaur mother gave birth to you. And you knew so. You always felt so. And you can't get a dispell.

It's sort of like that.

Arachu
2012-02-21, 09:23 PM

:smallsmile: It's more relieving to hear that than you may think.

I'd contribute, but I'm too slow today and my points have been made for me. :smalltongue:

My own dysphoria (mind/body dissonance) feels sort of like how it does to stand in the sun all day... On a good day. I don't know if the bad ones can even be described, and I'm good at describing disturbing things. :/

Imagine, to use a D&D analogy, that you are a centaur, and a Wizard polymorphed you into a cow. I'd imagine you'd feel rather out of place, no?

I'd compare it more to getting polymorphed from human to dog - instead of just wondering why you don't have arms, you'd wonder why you have so many legs. Everything would be 'there', it'd just... Not fit together right.

Coidzor
2012-02-21, 09:45 PM
Is there a reason there wasn't a link to the obvious series of OotS strips or am I just being unobservant again? I seem to recall that Roy was rather annoyed by the experience and eager to get it rectified as soon as possible. Seems like a fairly ready example to apply the thought of feeling like, or worse(one can even find examples, what, 2 pages back in this thread?), that for one's entire life and not having a dwarf around to magic it away.

H Birchgrove
2012-02-21, 11:38 PM
I must remember to ask a moderator if I can (continue to) post in the Superheroes in the Playground thread, considering the time since anyone posted there. (I was a bit worried last time I posted there, actually.)

Few bits and pieces:

@Mr Birchgrove - if you want to chuck any of the stuff I've done up on Deviantart, feel free. I don't have an account myself.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Do I also have your permission to use The Goddess Legabitp in stories? :smallsmile:

List me as another one has been overweight since childhood; it has become something of a part of my identity... I *want* to be strong and muscular, or at least without this blobby belly, but when I imagine myself that, it seems so ridiculous...

Cobra_Ikari
2012-02-21, 11:40 PM
So it's an eroge about "crippled girls" where they are introduced by their disabilities
Yeah
Crippled girl eroge = fetish porn

okay great except all the characters so far are disabled so your point doesn't really make sense.
If theres a ks thread it should stay there, I don't see how making fun of an armless girl trying to hug is related to queers

Eh. It has excellent storytelling, I enjoy that it's one of the few places I've seen addressed that if you treat people like invalids they will hate you for it, the sex scenes are optional, not very erotic, and contain plot, and honestly, I have a hard time calling something where you have to play for about 4 hours to see a 5 minute sex scene "porn". I mean, most movies these days have a higher ratio of sex:plot than that.

The Rin inability to hug thing is a little tasteless, though.

Lady Tialait
2012-02-21, 11:58 PM
*eyeroll* If I had a nickle for everytime someone did something tasteless, I'd be richer then Bill Gates.

Chillax, tis cool. Now, sense I've seen it. Kneenibbler *throws a hug* I'm rather happy, so that is a gay hug. Enjoy.

Arachu
2012-02-22, 12:12 AM
So it's an eroge about "crippled girls" where they are introduced by their disabilities
Yeah
Crippled girl eroge = fetish porn

So, being attracted to girls with disabilities is a fetish? Even when the appeal isn't their disability?

And all it takes for a game to qualify as porn is a couple of late-in sex scenes?

I don't get your point. :smallconfused:

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 12:39 AM
I'm playing it now because I'm bored. And I'm not even into girls, crippled or not.

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 12:48 AM
...and now you have me imagining a Y version of that game...

Nix Nihila
2012-02-22, 01:20 AM
do people masturbate to this? yes? Ok.
I'm not going to Dignify that with a response

Well, if that's all it takes for something to be considered porn... :smalltongue:

In queer news I may be part of a IGB video do any of you have experience with that

Cool. I haven't (partially due to a grudge against Dan Savage, although that is a bit petty), but it'd be interesting to see it when it's done.

Also, welcome!

Cobra_Ikari
2012-02-22, 01:35 AM
I appreciate a good story as much as the next person but one that exploits handicapped people for their disabilities disgusts me. The characters aren't Sasuka or Kim or whatever, they're girl-with-one-arm-and-an-eyepatch or girl-who-is-emotionally-traumatized-but-will-sleep-with-protagonist.

I didn't really see it as exploitative at all. Unless you feel there's something inherently wrong with people with disabilities being sexual beings. *shrugs*

From my experience, the story was more about the player character learning to accept the recent changes in his life and accepting that his disability didn't invalidate him as a human being. And yes, pretty much everyone in the story is emotionally traumatized, but it's things like learning to deal with the loss of a loved one or growing up with an abusive parent or feeling unable to express themself in a manner that lets them be understood. The only disability angst that goes on at all is in the protagonist's self reflection.

I really doubt you've played it/want to play it, but I really feel this is one subject where people judge by their initial impressions about how a dating sim centered around people with disabilities written by 4chan must be.

And people will masturbate to anything. ANYTHING. That said, I first tried the game after hearing about it and looking it up and seeing nothing but reviews by people who had gone into it with the attempt to treat it like fetish porn and got so caught up in the story that they couldn't masturbate to it. So...YMMV? *shrugs*

*coughs*...sorry, everyone, now back to your regularly scheduled LBGTAitP. >.>

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 01:37 AM
Also assuming male in a tbgl thread that's cool

I use "dude" to anybody. I opened an IM to a female friend earlier with "Dude, I got my wisdom teeth pulled today." "Dude" isn't necessarily a male label.

This reminds me, though: Even though I've been trying to change it, when reading, I often assume somebody is male if gender is unspecified. Like something about a lawyer, I caught myself assuming they were male, and they turned out to be female.
This makes me feel bad.
Bluh.

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 01:46 AM
And I have Asperger's Syndrome, I'm not a paraplegic. Cut the ****.

An update: My friend says that his mother is one of two people on the DSM-V committee who voted against folding Asperger's into "Autism Spectrum Disorder". He says that she very much doubts that they'll keep Asperger's, despite the public outcry against folding it all into one thing.

*coughs*...sorry, everyone, now back to your regularly scheduled LBGTAitP. >.>

This is our regularly scheduled LGBTAitP. It's pretty rare for us to be on-topic.

Cobra_Ikari
2012-02-22, 01:52 AM
This is our regularly scheduled LGBTAitP. It's pretty rare for us to be on-topic.

Ah, well...as someone who doesn't really have a concept of gender and who is uncomfortable with the idea of sex with men (as a biological male), I really don't feel comfortable hijacking the topic of conversation in here, y'know? >.>

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 01:54 AM
Ah, well...as someone who doesn't really have a concept of gender and who is uncomfortable with the idea of sex with men (as a biological male), I really don't feel comfortable hijacking the topic of conversation in here, y'know? >.>

I'm a cisman and I'm asexual. And I hijack conversations sometimes. Asta is one of the most frequent posters and he's a cisman and straight. (Though admittedly he's on-topic more than most of us.)
So go for it!

Arachu
2012-02-22, 01:55 AM
I appreciate a good story as much as the next person but one that exploits handicapped people for their disabilities disgusts me. The characters aren't Sasuka or Kim or whatever, they're girl-with-one-arm-and-an-eyepatch or girl-who-is-emotionally-traumatized-but-will-sleep-with-protagonist.

The fact that you hate it but don't try to disprove it
You can PM a mod and reopen it patience is a virtue "dude"
"I dont hug people like Rin" ah sorry about losing your arms my condolences
If the artist for the porno made it it's ok? That just solidifies everything I think about this
This book lacks a cover how could you remind it of its horrible handicap geez

do people masturbate to this? yes? Ok.
I'm not going to Dignify that with a response

Sorry for lurking , nice to see a welcoming community and it takes a while to type with no arms
Also assuming male in a tbgl thread that's cool

In queer news I may be part of a IGB video do any of you have experience with that

I get what you're getting at, but you're being kind of assumptive. I mean, people masturbate to everything (fully-clothed people, trees, everything) - that people are turned on by something does not imply that it's pornographic in nature.

Besides, if it was just porn then why would it include an option to disable the scenes? A porno with no sex scenes would be sort of... Well, it'd just end up being a poorly-written sketch.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Tri's asexual. I'm not trying to sound confrontational (sorry if I have), but it's obviously important enough to him to defend, and I don't think erotic appeal rates very high on his priorities.

What's IGB?

Sun, before you judge the game again based on an image, please play it. The fact that WE can joke about disabilities shows how little we think of them. That's not a bad thing. The less you consider disabilities a negative trait, then the more you'll get it.

Also, turn off the goddamn h-content, and play it.

It you think that the game is an h-game, you are dead-freaking-wrong.

Also, cut the trolling. I just realized you're doing nothing productive, and jumped in because we're not talking "queer". We go on tangents, and talk about what we want to. Deal with it.

And I have Asperger's Syndrome, I'm not a paraplegic. Cut the ****.

*Hugs* Calm down, Sun has a point... Fetishization gets taken to unfortunate places pretty often, and some of those places make even innocent examples look bad. Just look at "chasers". >:/

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 02:08 AM

which is a shame given how huggable you are. :smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
2012-02-22, 02:15 AM
which is a shame given how huggable you are. :smallsmile:

*hugs Turkish* It's a shame that I don't hijack topics? :smallconfused:

Arachu
2012-02-22, 02:20 AM

These topics need drivers, and sometimes those drivers need breaks.

... Or something, I dunno. :smalltongue:

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 03:07 AM

It'd keep you around more. *hugs*

golentan
2012-02-22, 03:09 AM
And so soon we will crash my pretty new thread over the edge of a cliff because we tried to drive by committee. *sniff* I will miss you thread.

In other news... Raaagh so angry over news stories lately. I can't believe what it's socially acceptable for people to say about long term loving relationships in this day and age. And then there's the trial for the guy who videoed his roommate and may have shamed him into suicide a year or two back.

I need a hug.

On the plus side, planet of gay psychics. A well reversed story showing prejudice for how messed up it can be put a nice note on my day yesterday.

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 03:12 AM
*hugs Golentan*

Arachu
2012-02-22, 03:17 AM
Stories have been messing with my head, too. :/ *Hugs Golentan*

Cobra_Ikari
2012-02-22, 03:22 AM
It'd keep you around more. *hugs*

Murr...why are you so nice to me? I still feel awful about being basically the worst date ever. *hugs*

*snuggles Golentan* People are jerks. =\

Asta Kask
2012-02-22, 03:31 AM
I've been feeling pretty crappy lately as well. I'll hug the two of you if you'll hug me back.

Mystic Muse
2012-02-22, 03:32 AM
*Hugs all who need hugs*

Why yes, I should be in bed, but I assure you I have a good reason for being up! No. No I do not.

Arachu
2012-02-22, 03:34 AM
I've been feeling pretty crappy lately as well. I'll hug the two of you if you'll hug me back.

I reject your *hug* and substitute a *glomp*. :smalltongue:

EDIT:

*Hugs all who need hugs*

Why yes, I should be in bed, but I assure you I have a good reason for being up! No. No I do not.

As do I!

... That rudimentary graphing calculator isn't going to simulate itself. :smalltongue:

Nix Nihila
2012-02-22, 03:37 AM
I'm in one of those weird moods where I'm half depressed, and half content. But hugs to you all!

And happy belated birthday, Soft Serve!

Heliomance
2012-02-22, 04:56 AM
I've worked out why hearing "she" from you guys feels so weird. Despite the fact that I don't like my male body, that dressing and presenting en femme or androgynous feels comfortable and right, my image of myself is still male. I think of myself as male. I may not like the fact that I'm male, but it still feels like who I am. Does that make any sense at all?

As for pronoun preference, I think I'll say go on using whichever pronouns you prefer. If you think of me as female, feel free to use "she". If you think of me as male, feel free to use "he". If for whatever reason, you don't think of me as either, feel free to use singular "they", mix and match, or just pick one at random!

Just don't use "it", or any of the artificially constructed gender neutral ones. I don't like them much :p

pffh
2012-02-22, 05:37 AM
I use "dude" to anybody. I opened an IM to a female friend earlier with "Dude, I got my wisdom teeth pulled today." "Dude" isn't necessarily a male label.

This reminds me, though: Even though I've been trying to change it, when reading, I often assume somebody is male if gender is unspecified. Like something about a lawyer, I caught myself assuming they were male, and they turned out to be female.
This makes me feel bad.
Bluh.

I think that's just because you automatically think of something similar to yourself when the gender is unspecified. I know I think of males and so do my male friends and my female friends think of females except in certain cases where the word contains a gender (fireman, policeman etc). Which makes me wonder what do transpeople think of and if it matters if they are post or per op...

Asta Kask
2012-02-22, 05:56 AM
Transitioner

Requirements
Skills: Diplomacy 4 ranks, Disguise 4 ranks, Heal 4 ranks
Feats: Strong Will
Special: Must make a Diplomacy DC 20 check against a doctor, to make him agree to start the process

Game Rule Information
Base Attack Bonus: +3/4 – while not warriors, trans people learn a little about self defense to ward off creeps and transphobes
Hit Dice: d8 – same reasoning as for BAB
Saving Throws: Will – as the transitioner progresses in the prestige class hir confidence soars
Skills: Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Knowledge (local), Move Silently, Profession, Sense Motive and may choose two skills freely from the list on p.63 of the PHB.
Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the transitioner.
Hormone Replacement Therapy: At 1st level, the transitioner gets access to hormones that make hir more passable. This gives a +4 (quality) to Disguise checks when trying to pass as the preferred sex.
Bottom Surgery: At 7th level, the transitioner can choose to undergo bottom surgery. This costs 20 000 gp, but the extra confidence this grants gives a +3 modifier to Will saves. Not all transitioners choose to undergo surgery and this does not hamper their progression in the prestige class.
Legal Sex Change: At 10th level, the transitioner can have their official sex changed. Ze is no longer subject to outing when having hir official papers checked.

There should be more class features of course, but I don't know enough about the process to do them justice.

Astrella
2012-02-22, 06:01 AM
[COLOR="Navy"]*Hugs* Calm down, Sun has a point... Fetishization gets taken to unfortunate places pretty often, and some of those places make even innocent examples look bad. Just look at "chasers". >:/

I can understand why Tris is so annoyed, because I've heard this uninformed opinion thrown around a lot whenever the topic of KS comes up. The main character deals with how to treat the other people himself, and choices that don't treat other characters as actual people (Like being overly protective) actually result in bad endings.

And yes, it takes place in a school for disabled people but that is because a large theme of the game is the main character learning to deal with his; and what helps him with this is seeing how others do it. The main message of the game is that people are screwed up, regardless of ability (and in the theme of the thread extending that to gender, sexuality, ... ) and that you just have to try to make the best of it.

I was rather critical of the game myself before I tried it, but I don't regret it and actually really like it. (Hanako's path affected me so much that I felt down and sad for several days after.) (And you can draw lines to the way trans* people are treated as well.) But you know, give the game a try, it's worth the effort.

Also, while on the topic of VN's, has anyone here tried out Digital: Love or Don't Take It Personally Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story? They both have queer content and I really enjoyed both. Digital is set in the early days of the internet, and it's basically a hackerish game, but the story is very interesting. There's romance, but a bit different from what you'd expect. The queer content is very subtle, it's mostly the fact that your character's gender is left unkown. Don't take it personally is a spiritual sequel (there are some references and easter eggs to Digital) set in the future and uses social media as a story element. It's set in a highschool with you as a teacher, and there are various queer relationships between students without them being singled out as weird. Both games (well, as much as Visual Novels are games) are worth trying out.

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 06:05 AM
Murr...why are you so nice to me? I still feel awful about being basically the worst date ever. *hugs*

You weren't that bad. And you are fun to have around

*snuggles Golentan* People are jerks. =\

Plus you're so huggy, and we need that here. :smallsmile:

pffh
2012-02-22, 06:09 AM
*Hugs* Calm down, Sun has a point... Fetishization gets taken to unfortunate places pretty often, and some of those places make even examples look bad. Just look at "chasers". >:/

Google gives me nothing. What is a chaser?

Mono Vertigo
2012-02-22, 06:19 AM
Okay, just downloaded Katawa Shoujo to see what it's like, the good things I'm hearing here make me very curious. Might play it later today...

Note to Sun: if a game gives you the possibility to not see/play erotic parts AND the rest of the story doesn't suffer from it... then no, the game isn't focused on porn, no, just no.
"People touch themselves to it, therefore it's pornographic or fetishistic" is also an extremely poor argument. People do that with erotic imagery, but also innocent kids' cartoons, documentaries, animate objects, inanimate objects, and human beings with no sexuality. That doesn't inherently make any of them fetish material. If it does, then everything is potential fetish material, therefore nothing is.
[Insert "your mom" joke here. If it amuses you. If it doesn't, then don't.]
It's not whether someone touches themselves over something that makes it a fetish, it is the way it's treated. If sexy qualities are added to it when it didn't have any, in detriment of its personality, story or dignity, then it has fetishistic purpose. Proposing the possibility of a healthy relationship with someone who has a handicap, where said relationship may result in a activity generally well-liked and desired, not just by most people, but by all participants of that relationship... NOT A FETISH.

Side note: [EXPLETIVE] people who fetishize real persons and don't respect their dignity.
EDIT: chasers, to my knowledge, are people who fetishize certain qualities, and actively seek them out in other people for their sexual enjoyment. They don't possess said qualities, and have trouble treating the object of their desire as, you know, human beings with dreams, dignity, a personality, and all these pesky things.

Coidzor
2012-02-22, 07:56 AM

Indeed, when this comes up, I'm always surprised that this hasn't been covered abundantly out in the wilds, or at least the seedy underbelly of urban dictionary. :smallconfused:

bluewind95
2012-02-22, 07:59 AM
Re: Assumption of male when gender is unspecified

Personally, I do that a lot. The reason, though, is because in my native language, the gender-neutral pronoun *is* the same as the male one. Ergo, I'll default to male when it's unspecified.

Re: Disabled girl dating sim

I'd heard about this game before. No, I haven't played it. I have heard good things about it, but dating sims are not my cup of tea.

However, there is one thing I rather think is off and I find it kind of annoying. It's the fact that they seem to treat all the disabilities as the same. All under one umbrella label of "disabled".

I've been disabled by illness, and I don't want people to just label me as plain "disabled" and just treat me like that. Every disability has its own needs and its own characteristics. And here, they place all the disabled people into the same class. You can't teach a deaf person the same way as you would a blind person. And, really, a person missing limbs has very different needs from a person with a heart problem, or a person with terrible scarring, or aforementioned deaf or blind people. So yeah, I find it kind of irritating that they lump all the "disabled" people into one broad category.

H Birchgrove
2012-02-22, 08:18 AM
Hugs golentan and Asta Kask, and anyone else who'd like a hug or a glomp.

Re: Disabled girl dating sim

I'd heard about this game before. No, I haven't played it. I have heard good things about it, but dating sims are not my cup of tea.

However, there is one thing I rather think is off and I find it kind of annoying. It's the fact that they seem to treat all the disabilities as the same. All under one umbrella label of "disabled".

I've been disabled by illness, and I don't want people to just label me as plain "disabled" and just treat me like that. Every disability has its own needs and its own characteristics. And here, they place all the disabled people into the same class. You can't teach a deaf person the same way as you would a blind person. And, really, a person missing limbs has very different needs from a person with a heart problem, or a person with terrible scarring, or aforementioned deaf or blind people. So yeah, I find it kind of irritating that they lump all the "disabled" people into one broad category.

I don't think the game does that. The game carefully explains the different challenges the characters have to face.

Tangent: When is it "okay" to claim to have disability? Most people agree that being blind is a disability, but what about being near- or farsighted? Is having, lets say, asthma, a disability?

THAC0
2012-02-22, 08:19 AM
Indeed, when this comes up, I'm always surprised that this hasn't been covered abundantly out in the wilds, or at least the seedy underbelly of urban dictionary. :smallconfused:

Well, given that the quoted text used to complain about being referred to as male didn't include the word "dude," but rather the word "his," I'm not sure why this is an issue?

Mindfreak
2012-02-22, 08:23 AM
I basically call a person's gender by whatever their avatar is, really.

And I still do this even when their gender indicator says different >.<

Astrella
2012-02-22, 08:23 AM

Well, I can't say anything about the lumping in the same category; but they do handle how every character deals with it in different ways and has different needs.

Coidzor
2012-02-22, 08:31 AM
Well, given that the quoted text used to complain about being referred to as male didn't include the word "dude," but rather the word "his," I'm not sure why this is an issue?

Because people flipping out over the use of the word "dude" is a thing that has happened in this thread before, on multiple occasions. And the post I was replying to used "dude," so I'm not sure why this is an issue for you.

THAC0
2012-02-22, 08:48 AM
Because people flipping out over the use of the word "dude" is a thing that has happened in this thread before, on multiple occasions. And the post I was replying to used "dude," so I'm not sure why this is an issue for you.

Well I was confused with the initial post about the word dude, given that it had nothing to do with the original complaint. I was going to ignore it, but then it continued so I wanted to know if I was missing something, because as far as I could see it went like this:

Poster uses "him."
Another poster: "hey don't assume I'm male"
A third poster: "dude is for everyone!"
Someone else: "Yeah why don't people get that dude is for everyone!"

So I was confused.

Coidzor
2012-02-22, 08:53 AM
Well I was confused with the initial post about the word dude, given that it had nothing to do with the original complaint. I was going to ignore it, but then it continued so I wanted to know if I was missing something, because as far as I could see it went like this:

Poster uses "him."

So I was confused.

Yeah, we Someone elses usually don't really care what's upthread from us when we jump in on a single point, sorry.

Asta Kask
2012-02-22, 10:49 AM
No one liked my prestige class? :smallfrown:

Heliomance
2012-02-22, 10:53 AM
So I just came out to the entirety of my gamesoc by turning up in girl mode. There was a resounding lack of anyone giving a crap :p

Castaras
2012-02-22, 10:56 AM
So I just came out to the entirety of my gamesoc by turning up in girl mode. There was a resounding lack of anyone giving a crap :p

Congratulations. :smallbiggrin: Probably the best reaction that you could get, I'm guessing. :smalltongue:

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 10:56 AM

Poster uses "him."

So I was confused.

The only potentially gendered word I saw in Triscuitable's (?) post was "dude", and then I saw Sun complain about the assumption that Sun is male. If I missed something as obvious as "him", then I plead "I'm practically blind, plus I had my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday."

I think it's cute! I'm sure there are some more class features, but I also don't know much about the process.

Congrats!

THAC0
2012-02-22, 11:07 AM
The only potentially gendered word I saw in Triscuitable's (?) post was "dude", and then I saw Sun complain about the assumption that Sun is male. If I missed something as obvious as "him", then I plead "I'm practically blind, plus I had my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday."

I suck at multi-quoting, but the complaint was in response to the following quote:

Originally Posted by Triscuitable
I just looked at his post history. If it's correct, his very first post was to start this pathetic argument.

I really didn't mean to start a big thing over this, I was just really confused.

THAC0
2012-02-22, 11:08 AM

Awesome! Way to go!

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 11:19 AM
I suck at multi-quoting, but the complaint was in response to the following quote:

Originally Posted by Triscuitable
I just looked at his post history. If it's correct, his very first post was to start this pathetic argument.

I really didn't mean to start a big thing over this, I was just really confused.

Oh yeah, I remember now. My bad. I think I thought "dude" was the offending word because I think I remember Sun calling Tris " "dude" " in quotes in the same post in which Sun complained that Tris assumed Sun is male.

By the bye, Triscuitable, what abbreviations for your username do you like?

I wonder if you would be okay with the disabiled girls being switched out with say transsexual girls? I doubt it would be okay

If it were handled as well as this game has handled disabilities so far, then that would be great. If the PC were a cisman coming to terms with a crush on a transwoman and whatever, or something like that, that would be fine.

Dude, are you really just here to complain about a game you've never even played? You're kind of overreacting at this point. Sure, it might be in bad taste to joke about how a chick with no arms can't hug. But you don't have to get this worked up over it. You've made your opinion clear already.

The Bandicoot
2012-02-22, 11:19 AM
Now I'm nothing but an impartial lurker/observer in this thread but to me it seems to me that Sun is just trolling and trolling hard. Anyone else get that feeling?

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 11:23 AM
Now I'm nothing but an impartial lurker/observer in this thread but to me it seems to me that Sun is just trolling and trolling hard. Anyone else get that feeling?

I got that feeling, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Asta Kask
2012-02-22, 11:29 AM

I got that feeling, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

He's too insignificant. I think he's merely goblining.

That's wonderful! I've had a bad day but things like this make me think there's hope after all.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-22, 11:50 AM
Just chipping in my two cents about the dude conversation. I consider it suitable for everyone...hell, I call my gf dude all the time.

I suppose there was that early 90s attempt to make a "female" version of it, "dudette", but thankfully, that died a fairly swift death. Doesn't roll off the tongue nearly as easy.

Serpentine
2012-02-22, 11:50 AM
Re. assumptions of sex on the internet: I just recently met someone I'd previously talked to on here. I thought they were female. Turns out they're very much male. He just didn't bother to correct me :smalltongue:
Now, given that our main interaction was on the same side of a discussion on the role of using masculine gendered pronouns as neuter in broader "male as default" context, it seems pretty appropriate :smallwink:

Tangent: When is it "okay" to claim to have disability? Most people agree that being blind is a disability, but what about being near- or farsighted? Is having, lets say, asthma, a disability?It's my very general, not-actually-checked understanding that a feature is a disability when it has long-term negative* impact on your normal every-day functioning. So I'd say poor vision is a disability but a very mild and often curable one, and asthma is a more seriously but relatively easily managed disability.
I'm not sure how I'd distinguish between disability and "medical condition", though.

*or inconvenient, or "requiring some sort of work-around or special assistance type thing"

Nix Nihila
2012-02-22, 11:51 AM

Yay! Yes, that's pretty much how I came out to some of the people who I knew decently well, but not well enough to tell them beforehand. Anyways, that sounds like good news!

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 11:59 AM
Just chipping in my two cents about the dude conversation. I consider it suitable for everyone...hell, I call my gf dude all the time.

I suppose there was that early 90s attempt to make a "female" version of it, "dudette", but thankfully, that died a fairly swift death. Doesn't roll off the tongue nearly as easy.

I picked up "dude" from my ex, and called her "dude". I have called my mother "dude".
"Dudette" was terrible.

Tangent: When is it "okay" to claim to have disability? Most people agree that being blind is a disability, but what about being near- or farsighted? Is having, lets say, asthma, a disability?

I think something's a disability when it impairs one's ability to function day-to-day, forcing one to accept help from others or to find some workaround. In my case, I consider my asthma and nearsightedness to not count because my vision is still (mostly) correctable, and my asthma is pretty mild and gets slightly better when I exercise more often. If, in the future, my eyesight becomes bad enough that it won't be correctable, I'll consider it a disability.
Likewise, I don't consider my Asperger's diagnosis a disability because it hardly affects my day-to-day life at this point; I've learned most of the social skills that don't come naturally to us. I have a pretty good social life and I bet if I told my friends it would come as a huge, seeing as they were pretty surprised when another guy mentioned that he has Asperger's when we were talking about the DSM-V thing.

Kneenibble
2012-02-22, 11:59 AM
My humble thanks for the gay hugs I have received. To clarify, the hugger need not be gay: merely the spirit of the hug.

As I now prepare to brave the blowing snows and seek the wicked magic of coffee as dark as a black steer's tuchas on a moonless Prairie night, I shall carry with me the bright and warm memory of these gay hugs as an abjurant lamp.

I have only this to say, to Mr. Deth Muncher: I am grateful for your promise of hospitality; but fairy-like, hold you mortal bound to the letter of your contract that you did not specify the volume of that precisely one drink. :smallwink:

& not the wolf whistles and penguin pebbles you deserved? :smalltongue:

Astrella
2012-02-22, 12:00 PM
I wonder if you would be okay with the disabiled girls being switched out with say transsexual girls? I doubt it would be okay

If it was handled with the same level of respect as KS did? Wouldn't mind it at all. I would love more positive trans* media portrayals myself. (Especially portrayals where the character's transness isn't their only defining character trait.)

bluewind95
2012-02-22, 12:03 PM

I think it depends. Aside from what Serpentine said, there are levels. If I feel ill, but there is practically no impact in my life, then I can hardly claim a disability. Being nearsighted is a disability if for some reason you don't get treatment for it. Once it's corrected with glasses or surgery or whatever, it ceases to be a disability. Asthma is a potentially disabling medical condition. If it's mild or well-controlled or whatnot, it won't be a disability. But if you start getting severe attacks often that keep making it impossible for you to get your normal life done, then I daresay it turned into a disability.

All (I think?) disabilities are medical conditions, but not all medical conditions (even sometimes under the same label) are disabilities. It really depends on the impact the medical condition has. If it is negligible, then it's not a disability. If not, well... it probably is. However, one must also take into account the duration of said medical condition. If it is chronic by nature, I think that's when it can be a disability. When it's, by nature, not chronic, then it doesn't get that label. A cold, for example, is by nature temporary, so no matter how much impact it has while it's there, it's not a disability. But, say, something like lupus can indeed become a disability.

Well, I can't say anything about the lumping in the same category; but they do handle how every character deals with it in different ways and has different needs.
Yes, they do so in the story, from what I read. But by design... they're all lumped in the same class. That's kind of just conveniently classing them as "disabled" and requiring equal things. You can't really meet the needs of so many diverse disabilities in the same classroom. Just accomodating *one* disability (as I know because I have volunteered for translation services in summer camps about deaf children getting oral education and cochlear implants) is work enough. THAT many in *one* classroom? That's missing the point they're trying to make entirely. Kind of hypocritical, really.

Thufir
2012-02-22, 12:10 PM
And so soon we will crash my pretty new thread over the edge of a cliff because we tried to drive by committee. *sniff* I will miss you thread.

Man, when did the LGBT thread become a committee? I'm sure some of the earlier threads were closer to driving by orgy. Or at least driving by drunken, flirtatious party.

There are many worse ways for a date to go than hugs and snuggles.

Yayness. :smallsmile:

Mindfreak
2012-02-22, 12:11 PM
This game was made to be sexual

I dunno about that. I myself have not played it but from what I've gathered from the people who have played it and have talked about it, it wasn't made to be sexual. I mean, if it allows you to turn off the h-content so you only get the story, doesn't that prove that it was made to be more of an emotional piece than a sexual one?

Astrella
2012-02-22, 12:11 PM
Yes, they do so in the story, from what I read. But by design... they're all lumped in the same class. That's kind of just conveniently classing them as "disabled" and requiring equal things. You can't really meet the needs of so many diverse disabilities in the same classroom. Just accomodating *one* disability (as I know because I have volunteered for translation services in summer camps about deaf children getting oral education and cochlear implants) is work enough. THAT many in *one* classroom? That's missing the point they're trying to make entirely. Kind of hypocritical, really.

Oh, they aren't all in the same classroom. (As far as we can see the characters are spread out over at least three different classes.) If I recall correctly it's not even a school specifically for people with disabilities (One of the "main" characters is there to study teaching sign language for example.), just the school has accomodation and a permanent medical staff but it is sorta isolated I guess.

The whole setup is a bit iffy though, I agree with you on that; but I was really pleasantly suprised upon playing it.

Serpentine
2012-02-22, 12:12 PM
I think it depends. Aside from what Serpentine said, there are levels. If I feel ill, but there is practically no impact in my life, then I can hardly claim a disability. Being nearsighted is a disability if for some reason you don't get treatment for it. Once it's corrected with glasses or surgery or whatever, it ceases to be a disability. Asthma is a potentially disabling medical condition. If it's mild or well-controlled or whatnot, it won't be a disability. But if you start getting severe attacks often that keep making it impossible for you to get your normal life done, then I daresay it turned into a disability.

All (I think?) disabilities are medical conditions, but not all medical conditions (even sometimes under the same label) are disabilities. It really depends on the impact the medical condition has. If it is negligible, then it's not a disability. If not, well... it probably is. However, one must also take into account the duration of said medical condition. If it is chronic by nature, I think that's when it can be a disability. When it's, by nature, not chronic, then it doesn't get that label. A cold, for example, is by nature temporary, so no matter how much impact it has while it's there, it's not a disability. But, say, something like lupus can indeed become a disability.Ah, yes, I think that works. My near-sightedness is a medical condition. If I didn't have my glasses, my poor vision would be disabling. As I do have glasses, and they fix my vision adequately, I'm not disabled. Conversely, someone with vision so extremely bad that it can't be corrected is always in need of extra assistance/workarounds/some term I can't think of to function normally, and thus their lack of vision is a disability.
Yeah, I reckon that works.

Kneenibble
2012-02-22, 12:16 PM
Man, when did the LGBT thread become a committee? I'm sure some of the earlier threads were closer to driving by orgy. Or at least driving by drunken, flirtatious party.

*hugs*

My imagination is doing some delightful things with the prompt "driving by orgy." Thank you.

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 12:18 PM
Oh, they aren't all in the same classroom. (As far as we can see the characters are spread out over at least three different classes.) If I recall correctly it's not even a school specifically for people with disabilities (One of the "main" characters is there to study teaching sign language for example.), just the school has accomodation and a permanent medical staff but it is sorta isolated I guess.

The whole setup is a bit iffy though, I agree with you on that; but I was really pleasantly suprised upon playing it.

I think there are four classes in the third year; I think I heard a mention of 3-4. And they're sorted out a bit. Class 3-2 is for the students with vision problems; most of them are blind or legally blind. 3-3 seems to have a variety of students, including one deaf girl. Most of the students seem to have physical disabilities of some sort (missing limbs, bad burns, heart condition, etc.), and the school has a 24-hour medical staff for them.

Ah, yes, I think that works. My near-sightedness is a medical condition. If I didn't have my glasses, my poor vision would be disabling. As I do have glasses, and they fix my vision adequately, I'm not disabled. Conversely, someone with vision so extremely bad that it can't be corrected is always in need of extra assistance/workarounds/some term I can't think of to function normally, and thus their lack of vision is a disability.
Yeah, I reckon that works.

I had to go for five days or so without glasses last semester while mine were being replaced. It was miserable. And my sight is only -4 or so.
My old science teacher is legally blind; he can hardly see even with glasses. But he doesn't really need much help; he just looks at things really closely.

KenderWizard
2012-02-22, 12:20 PM
Too much talking while I was gone!

Re: Disability game, since that's the off-topic-topic of the day: if it's done thoughtfully, it's fine by me. I mean, you can find awful porn of just about any group, especially groups with privilege deficits (disabled, trans, "exotic" :smallyuk:, etc) so even thoughtful porn is a good step and thoughtful slightly erotic stories are even better. If Sun is unhappy about it that's a valid thing to think, maybe it walks too close of a line for them (and their post count is one thing, but they created their account in 2010 apparently, so they didn't just make their account to argue this. Just using it for this is another story!). If Tris and Astrella think it's fine, that's also legit. I suspect this discussion would be possible to have without being rude and it's a bit sharp in tone for a support thread for LGBT+ issues. If it's important to people to keep talking about it, could you take it to spoilers?

Yeah, I know all about those thoughts. When I was finishing school I weighed about 105 lbs. (I'm 6'). Now I weigh closer to 240 lbs. And my medicines make it even harder to lose weight... Ah, well. At least they keep me from killing myself.

*Hugs*

I've always been overweight... Even after all of the weight I lost last year, there's still a lot to go... I suppose there's a bright-ish side, though - I look considerably lighter than I am, and apparently the only part of me that isn't losing weight is my chest (which reminds me; it seems that I have breasts now :smallconfused: :smallsmile:).

Gah, I just made that about me didn't I... Feel better? *More hugs*

That's what I thought. But I've run across the idea several times and I just wanted to check.

:<
I know that feeling. I am in pretty good shape, but I keep not managing to lose the little bit of a belly I put on over any break when I sit on my bum all day, and it bothers me.
And I have a Chinese friend who looks great, but she's convinced that she's overweight because she put on a coupe of pounds when she came to school here.

I can't feel my face! Well at least not my chin and lower lip. Feeling just came back in the edges of my jaw where there are these huge holes and the pain is mildly bothersome. I got my wisdom teeth out today!
Conclusions:
1. I don't like Valium. When they put that in the IV, I immediately had a wave of nausea and some weird itching in my crotch.
2. Local anesthesia feels weird.
3. Teeth look neat. (I got to keep mine, even though that's apparently illegal here. I was so persistent in asking that the guy said I could keep them.)

Body weight issues hugs for you three! And wisdom teeth removal hugs for Nope! I remember getting mine out; total pain! I had to have full anaesthetic and it was all complicated because apparently I have a very narrow jaw (the teeth were growing to be longer than my jaw is wide, and were going to break my jaw and also damage the nerves to my lower lip, :smallsigh:). Then my face swelled up like a hamster and everything tasted of blood for ages. Then my stupid immune system wasn't able to dissolve the soluble thread they used, panicked, and made everything swell up again.

*Actually implementing this choice is quite difficult, though. No successes so far, although that will surely change!

We're your friends! :smallsmile:

This makes me feel bad.
Bluh.

Easily done.

I'm one of those fussy people that doesn't 100% approve of "dude" and "guys" being claimed as gender neutral. I'd be fine with it if they just shifted to being gender neutral (maybe they're on the way), so if you said "There was this guy giving out stickers, and I asked the dude if I could have one" people wouldn't know if the sticker-giver was a female or a male. But they're still male as default, which means that they just make women folded into a group of "guys" invisible, like in French.

This is something I wonder a lot about. Because, really, it's a spectrum, not a binary (who's heard that before?! :smalltongue:). I mean, someone with no problems at all is clearly not disabled. Then you have, say, someone who finds it hard to hear everything properly in noisy restaurants, people with mild near-sightedness, people with weak arches whose feet get sore easily. Then you've got someone who gets cramps in their hands, or someone who has asthma. I've got fatigue; I get tired really easily and find it hard to climb stairs or run without fainting. Some people need really thick glasses or have bad asthma and need a nebuliser at home. Then there are people who have bad back problems, people who are nearly completely deaf, people who have a bad limp. Then people who need wheelchairs or, say, dialysis. And there are degrees of needing a wheelchair - some people need them part-time, some people need the smart motorised ones. There are people who can only blink, or only move one finger. I'm not "disabled" compared with someone who needs a motorised wheelchair and a home nurse, and I don't qualify for any help, and I can get by independently, if sleepily. But I am "disabled" compared with someone who can function totally normally.

I thought it was awesome!

He's too insignificant. I think he's merely goblining.

Btw I love you! :smallwink:

pffh
2012-02-22, 12:20 PM
*hugs*

My imagination is doing some delightful things with the prompt "driving by orgy." Thank you.

Driving stick. :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2012-02-22, 12:32 PM

Sorry, was asleep so I couldn't comment.

It shouldn't really be a Prestige class, let alone a 10 level one. Most Prestige Classes you can't enter until Sixth level, so you won't be able to totally transition until 16th level. Given that most characters are pretty much gods by that point, it seems odd that they've only transitioned then. It would make much more sense as a base class.

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 12:37 PM
Body weight issues hugs for you three! And wisdom teeth removal hugs for Nope! I remember getting mine out; total pain! I had to have full anaesthetic and it was all complicated because apparently I have a very narrow jaw (the teeth were growing to be longer than my jaw is wide, and were going to break my jaw and also damage the nerves to my lower lip, :smallsigh:). Then my face swelled up like a hamster and everything tasted of blood for ages. Then my stupid immune system wasn't able to dissolve the soluble thread they used, panicked, and made everything swell up again.

My body weight isn't even unhealthy or particularly noticeable. It's just bothersome to me.
Ooh, your surgery sounds worse than mine. I was awake and aware for the whole thing because I fought against the drugs a bit, but of course I couldn't feel much because of the anesthesia in my face. I even helped him pull out two of them by bracing my neck when I felt him pulling.
My mouth doesn't taste like blood anymore; I think it stopped bleeding last night. But swallowing still hurts a bit so I'm even having trouble with juice and applesauce yet. And it's oddly shivering--or maybe it's just cold in here, I can't tell. I hope my body deals with the sutures properly. A nice plus of the antibiotics they pumped into me is that my cold vanished completely over the course of the surgery.

Yup! n.n

[QUOTE]Easily done.

I'm one of those fussy people that doesn't 100% approve of "dude" and "guys" being claimed as gender neutral. I'd be fine with it if they just shifted to being gender neutral (maybe they're on the way), so if you said "There was this guy giving out stickers, and I asked the dude if I could have one" people wouldn't know if the sticker-giver was a female or a male. But they're still male as default, which means that they just make women folded into a group of "guys" invisible, like in French.

I will admit to usually meaning a male when I refer to somebody not present as "dude", and I usually say "chick" for a female not present. But I address both males and females as "dude".
I should change that.

This is something I wonder a lot about. Because, really, it's a spectrum, not a binary (who's heard that before?! :smalltongue:). I mean, someone with no problems at all is clearly not disabled. Then you have, say, someone who finds it hard to hear everything properly in noisy restaurants, people with mild near-sightedness, people with weak arches whose feet get sore easily. Then you've got someone who gets cramps in their hands, or someone who has asthma. I've got fatigue; I get tired really easily and find it hard to climb stairs or run without fainting. Some people need really thick glasses or have bad asthma and need a nebuliser at home. Then there are people who have bad back problems, people who are nearly completely deaf, people who have a bad limp. Then people who need wheelchairs or, say, dialysis. And there are degrees of needing a wheelchair - some people need them part-time, some people need the smart motorised ones. There are people who can only blink, or only move one finger. I'm not "disabled" compared with someone who needs a motorised wheelchair and a home nurse, and I don't qualify for any help, and I can get by independently, if sleepily. But I am "disabled" compared with someone who can function totally normally.

Probably the best answer yet, in my opinion. I forgot I could just wait and let you express my thoughts more eloquently.

Heliomance
2012-02-22, 12:55 PM
To elaborate, one (gay) guy complimented me on sprouting "a fine pair of jugs" and lamented that his own were not nearly so good. And one girl walked in and went
"Hi, To-
Fair enough."

No-one else even commented.

Mina Kobold
2012-02-22, 01:38 PM
NO! Oh god no, it's not in any way a harem game. H-game is the equivalent on an eroge. In other words, explicit sexual content. However, it only turns up late in the game, and as mentioned before, can be disabled.

As for the one-true-love idea, that's not present either. Each girl is on a seperate route. While some are friends (Emi and Rin, Lilly and Hanako), and there is a rivalry (Lilly and Shizune), they never swarm you. In fact, you never explicitly "date" until it becomes evident that both Hisao and the girl really do understand each other. Until then, it's a friendship.

As for going for a route with someone who could use a friend, two characters, Lilly and Hanako, are excellent choices. Lilly's route actually develops Hanako as a gradually more sociable person, and Hanako's route is more of a growing relationship between the two.

Both are fantastic. So is Rin's route, which is just amazing.

Ack, sorry. I do know what H-game means, I was just using the manga genre terminology since I barely ever play sim games. Sorry! m(_ _)m

It's just that it sounded like the typical harem scenario; Someone gets put in a situation where several people compatible with said person strives for their attention and they juggle the shenanigans until finally choosing one.

Not that I mind those stories in manga, anime or other drawn or animated works where it is driven by personality. But I don't like having such a choice as a goal in a game, feels mean to the other possible friends or loved ones that the character could pick. I'm weird like that. ^_^'

This game sounds like it is much more about the story and possible relations that arise from what places the main character is in at what times, though. So sorry for that! :smallsmile:

Now, if only I could remember the name when I get a new computer... I must find a notation device! :3

We're your friends! :smallsmile:

Yup! n.n

Aww, thanks. :smallredface:

On other notes:

@Helio: You go by To-something in not-digital life? That is surely glomp-worthy! :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

*Glomps*

@Prestige Class: Looks neat, although I am now wondering if there could be a spellcaster variant. :3

@Disabilities: Would impairments fit as in between inbetween term? I have a hearing impairment myself, but it merely makes me ask people to repeat themselves too much. Not a disability at all, although perfectly fine for light-hearted jokes and potentially the acquirement of super-groovy hearing aids. :smallsmile:

THAC0
2012-02-22, 01:58 PM
@Disabilities: Would impairments fit as in between inbetween term? I have a hearing impairment myself, but it merely makes me ask people to repeat themselves too much. Not a disability at all, although perfectly fine for light-hearted jokes and potentially the acquirement of super-groovy hearing aids. :smallsmile:

That makes sense to me!

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 02:02 PM
Impairment is a good word, I think. My vision at this point isn't perfectly correctable; I often have trouble reading store signs, street signs, clocks, and the like. But it's not a significant impairment as long as I have my glasses. Without my glasses I'd consider it a disability because I can't even read a book without trouble. It doesn't help that my eyes are different.

Lix Lorn
2012-02-22, 02:13 PM
Congratulations! ^_^

No spellcasting? UP.

:smalltongue:

Triscuitable
2012-02-22, 02:13 PM
Impairment is a good word, I think. My vision at this point isn't perfectly correctable; I often have trouble reading store signs, street signs, clocks, and the like. But it's not a significant impairment as long as I have my glasses. Without my glasses I'd consider it a disability because I can't even read a book without trouble. It doesn't help that my eyes are different.

At my old school, where backgrounds ranged from school bullying to some seriously despicable parenting skills, we had a better word. It was chosen because it wasn't going to throw anyone off, or cause discomfort.

We called them Whoop-De-Doos. No, really.

Serpentine
2012-02-22, 02:15 PM
"I have a visual whoop-de-do."
It's silly and useless, but so hard not to like >.<

Kindablue
2012-02-22, 02:16 PM
What's IGB?[/COLOR]
It Gets Better.

I will admit to usually meaning a male when I refer to somebody not present as "dude", and I usually say "chick" for a female not present. But I address both males and females as "dude".
I should change that.
I call everyone I'm on roughly even ground with "dude" or "man." The latter is a little harder to rationalize as a gender neutral pronoun, admittedly.

Mina Kobold
2012-02-22, 02:51 PM
I call everyone I'm on roughly even ground with "dude" or "man." The latter is a little harder to rationalize as a gender neutral pronoun, admittedly.

If my Knowledge (Etymology) roll is successful, "man" meant "human" long before it meant "male human". Apparently male humans were "Weremen" and females were "Wifmen". And now you know! :smallsmile:

Which also means that female werewolf sounds like a FtM wolfman if you use those. That could be pretty fun to use in a LGBTA Fantasy story. :3

Triscuitable
2012-02-22, 03:14 PM

And there we have it, Katawa Shoujo: Whoop-Dee-Doo Girls.

KenderWizard
2012-02-22, 04:40 PM
Probably the best answer yet, in my opinion. I forgot I could just wait and let you express my thoughts more eloquently.

It's handy, right? :smallwink:

I agree! I have a long-term physical whoop-dee-doo.

The Succubus
2012-02-22, 05:43 PM
I also have a Whoop-De-Doo. It's pretty much the equivalent of rolling a d100 everytime I get out of bed as to whether it's going to screw up my day or not.

Arachu
2012-02-22, 06:05 PM
(At this rate, I'm going to have to start double-posting in a few weeks... :smallsigh: :smalltongue:)

@THAC0: I multi-quote by opening a tab for everything I want to respond to and copy-pasting it all into one post. Learned it from a poster whose name I regrettably forget. :/

Where was I for that? *Malcontent grumble* :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

I'm picturing a bunch of tow trucks having a drag race. :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

... Not sure if that came out right... :chin-scratch:

Side note: [EXPLETIVE] people who fetishize real persons and don't respect their dignity.
EDIT: chasers, to my knowledge, are people who fetishize certain qualities, and actively seek them out in other people for their sexual enjoyment. They don't possess said qualities, and have trouble treating the object of their desire as, you know, human beings with dreams, dignity, a personality, and all these pesky things.

I was referring specifically to people who chase transsexuals. *echoes side note*

I did, I was just asleep at the time. :smalltongue:

Reminds me of when I told my cousins about my sexuality. Strangely anticlimactic, isn't it? :smalltongue:

I don't know one way or the other, but I won't make any assumptions. Years of devil's advocacy taught me how to make arguments valid in all cases. :smalltongue:

I think s/he is just (rightfully) angry at fetishizers, but this just isn't that. :shrug:

I'm in one of those weird moods where I'm half depressed, and half content. But hugs to you all!

And happy belated birthday, Soft Serve!

Gah, those are my good days by now. *hugs*

Happy post-birthday, Soft Serve (sorry I forgot to say that this morning :P).

Regarding the game:

I can understand why Tris is so annoyed, because I've heard this uninformed opinion thrown around a lot whenever the topic of KS comes up. The main character deals with how to treat the other people himself, and choices that don't treat other characters as actual people (Like being overly protective) actually result in bad endings.

And yes, it takes place in a school for disabled people but that is because a large theme of the game is the main character learning to deal with his; and what helps him with this is seeing how others do it. The main message of the game is that people are screwed up, regardless of ability (and in the theme of the thread extending that to gender, sexuality, ... ) and that you just have to try to make the best of it.

I was rather critical of the game myself before I tried it, but I don't regret it and actually really like it. (Hanako's path affected me so much that I felt down and sad for several days after.) (And you can draw lines to the way trans* people are treated as well.) But you know, give the game a try, it's worth the effort.

Also, while on the topic of VN's, has anyone here tried out Digital: Love or Don't Take It Personally Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story? They both have queer content and I really enjoyed both. Digital is set in the early days of the internet, and it's basically a hackerish game, but the story is very interesting. There's romance, but a bit different from what you'd expect. The queer content is very subtle, it's mostly the fact that your character's gender is left unkown. Don't take it personally is a spiritual sequel (there are some references and easter eggs to Digital) set in the future and uses social media as a story element. It's set in a highschool with you as a teacher, and there are various queer relationships between students without them being singled out as weird. Both games (well, as much as Visual Novels are games) are worth trying out.

I figured that that was the point. Good to see my parallelism hasn't gone rusty. :smalltongue:

I'll probably download it after I lay down for a bit (apparently I got at least half of the questions on yesterday's homework wrong - at least we didn't turn it in...). I may look for the other two while I'm at it (I've had a lot of time on my hands lately :smalltongue:).

Joking about disabilities that's cool.
You can't say it's not an h-game and to turn off the h-content. I hope you realize how ironic that is
I don't think I should make a joke about your autism, it would be in poor taste oh wait that's exactly like making a joke about an armless girl trying to hug
Swearing at people is a great way to help them understand your side

Turning off the H-content turns off the H-content. In the worst-case scenario, that would just convert it to a non-H-game...

Not with people who happen to have disabilities happen to have sex but when they are created with the intent to provide h-content at the end they are just an incarnation of a disability an artist has fetishized to the point of dishumanizing

This is a null point if the aforementioned H-content has been disabled. I'm pretty sure that that's not the focus.

This game was made to be sexual

That's... Not necessarily the case. If that were true, why do asexuals enjoy it?

I've considered that, transsexual boys, cisgender boys and girls, and for the sake of having another thing to consider monstergirls (and boys). I trust Tri, Nope and Astrella to know what's tasteful, and they've repeatedly stated that the point is to illustrate the similarities between the disabled and the non-disabled.

With that in mind, it'd be better than okay - we aren't "transsexual people", we're people who happen to be transsexual. Even some H-scenes would be fine, if they continued to reinforce that (it's not like it's somehow 'wrong' to have sex with a consenting, long-term romantic partner, after all).

Also, I thought that that picture was adorable - it just makes you want to hug her enough for both of you. ;-;

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 06:12 PM
I also have a Whoop-De-Doo. It's pretty much the equivalent of rolling a d100 everytime I get out of bed as to whether it's going to screw up my day or not.

What's the chance of a bad day?

@THAC0: I multi-quote by opening a tab for everything I want to respond to and copy-pasting it all into one post. Learned it from a poster whose name I regrettably forget. :/

I quote multiple posts by clicking that handy little " "+ " sign next to where it says "Quote".

THAC0
2012-02-22, 06:23 PM
@THAC0: I multi-quote by opening a tab for everything I want to respond to and copy-pasting it all into one post. Learned it from a poster whose name I regrettably forget. :/[/COLOR]

I quote multiple posts by clicking that handy little " "+ " sign next to where it says "Quote".

omg my mind is blown! I never knew that's what the + meant!!

Triscuitable
2012-02-22, 06:24 PM
[COLOR="Navy"]That's... Not necessarily the case. If that were true, why do asexuals enjoy it?

Bingo, bango. You see, I could care less about the romance, the sex, everything. What the game explains is a budding friendship between two, that seems like it would be hindered by one another. It can, and the bad endings show that, but you don't have to let them.

Hey, who's the mod in the friendly banter section, so I can report Sun?

Astrella
2012-02-22, 06:25 PM
:smallbiggrin:

The texture was that Crackle stuff - when it dries, it leaves those neat cracks everywhere. I'm not too fond of it over blue, but I bet it looks awesome on white. :smallsmile:

By the way, how are things? It seems like you've been posting less lately (though that my just be my terrible lack of time perception :smalltongue:).

Tired and not feeling that awesome, but I'll manage.

*snip*

Hai, Rappy, haven't seen you in ages!

Mystic Muse
2012-02-22, 06:25 PM
Bingo, bango. You see, I could care less about the romance, the sex, everything. What the game explains is a budding friendship between two, that seems like it would be hindered by one another. It can, and the bad endings show that, but you don't have to let them.

If you want to report a poster's actions, look for the little red triangle on every post. PMing the mods personally is very much frowned upon, because then only one mod can act on things.

Astrella
2012-02-22, 06:29 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot this:

So therapist appointment, since it's half a country away quite some planning with train routes and such. Now, it seemed the train that was listed online as stopping at my stop, didn't actually stop at my stop. So I had to take a train back. And I apparently misjudged the distance I had to walk resulting in me being 40 minutes late and the next patient already there. Luckily I got a new appointment tomorrow, but still, that was a stressful and upsetting wasted four hours. :s

Triscuitable
2012-02-22, 06:34 PM
If you want to report a poster's actions, look for the little red triangle on every post. PMing the mods personally is very much frowned upon, because then only one mod can act on things.

Oi, thank you.

Arachu
2012-02-22, 06:41 PM

Yep - neutrality's good for judging things.

I really don't think that Sun's trolling... A lot of eroge games are pretty bad about that sort of thing. :shrug:

Oh, yeah, I forgot this:

So therapist appointment, since it's half a country away quite some planning with train routes and such. Now, it seemed the train that was listed online as stopping at my stop, didn't actually stop at my stop. So I had to take a train back. And I apparently misjudged the distance I had to walk resulting in me being 40 minutes late and the next patient already there. Luckily I got a new appointment tomorrow, but still, that was a stressful and upsetting wasted four hours. :s

*Holds tightly* You can still talk to me, if you'd like. :mitd:

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 07:08 PM
*notices page number*

Oooh. Almost time again. Maybe I should get to work on it before someone else can...

Astrella
2012-02-22, 07:14 PM

Fiddlesticks, completely read over this.

That's really awesome. :smallbiggrin:

H Birchgrove
2012-02-22, 07:22 PM
Sorry, Asta Kask, I'm not good enough at D & D to properly comment on the Transitioner Prestige Class! (I'll agree that it shouldn't be a Prestige Class.)

Thanks for the replies on my disability question. Maybe it's my current cough which is "talking", but I feel that my asthma is disabling even though I usually can medicate it. I feel pain at times even after having used the inhaler, and if I forget using it or if I'm suffering from my pollen allergy as well, it makes it very hard to breath and I get a terrible cough which takes some time to get rid off. :smallfrown:

My myopia is "only" truly disabling me when my glasses gets broken or needs to be replaced by stronger ones. :smallannoyed:

PS. Characters/art/intros by Asta Kask, The Succubus, KenderWizard, golentan, and Keveak added on the #Heroes-of-GiantitP group. Feel free to post here or PM me if corrections are needed. :smallsmile: (Or if I should take an entry away... *puppy eyes* please don't say so...)

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 09:17 PM
I'm qualified in D&D, but not other areas.

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 09:24 PM

I'm a closet romantic. I love a cute romance story.

In other news, Kender and I really are the same person. I lay down for a nap three hours ago, and I just woke up in incredible pain with the cheek I was sleeping on swollen like a hamster's. Except now I'm only half a hamster. So maybe we're only half the same person.

Asta Kask
2012-02-22, 09:25 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot this:

I think I've missed three or four appointments with my psychiatrist by taking the wrong tram. It sucks but it happens. *hugs*

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 09:29 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot this:

Ooh, that stinks. Sorry. :<

I think I've missed three or four appointments with my psychiatrist by taking the wrong tram. It sucks but it happens. *hugs*

Happened to me over the summer, except it was a poorly-written online bus schedule that made me miss my train. Turned out I was on the wrong side of the street because the bus wasn't going north to get to the town to our north, it was going south to sit in the bus station parking lot for half an hour before going north to get to the town to our north.
Oh how I wish there were a connecting train between my line and the next two over that didn't involve the forty-minute ride down to NYC and then back up.

Triscuitable
2012-02-22, 09:46 PM
I'm a closet romantic. I love a cute romance story.

In other news, Kender and I really are the same person. I lay down for a nap three hours ago, and I just woke up in incredible pain with the cheek I was sleeping on swollen like a hamster's. Except now I'm only half a hamster. So maybe we're only half the same person.

Or half the same, good ol' fashioned bad liar. :smallamused:

In other news, I've found that being a gentleman can have adverse affects. Namely girls start to use you.

Should I start acting ladylike to avoid this? I'm certainly capable.

Qaera
2012-02-22, 09:49 PM
Fiddlesticks, completely read over this.

That's really awesome. :smallbiggrin:

CAWCAWCAWCAWCAWCAWCAW-weers~ :smalltongue:

~ ♅

Asta Kask
2012-02-22, 10:00 PM
Should we start thinking about a new thread somewhere hereabouts?

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 10:02 PM
Probably somewhere around here. Who wants to make the new thread?

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 10:05 PM
Probably somewhere around here. Who wants to make the new thread?

I was working on it when my browser crashed. I'll get strait on it again.

Triscuitable
2012-02-22, 10:15 PM
I was working on it when my browser crashed. I'll get strait on it again.

We need a name for it...

LGBTAitp - Part 21: Luck of the Draw!

All in!

... Those are bad.

turkishproverb
2012-02-22, 10:21 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12772936

Triscuitable
2012-02-22, 10:47 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12772936

NEW THREAD OVER HERE GUYS!

C'mon, turk, you need to have ENTHUSIASM! :smallcool: