PDA

View Full Version : Order of metamagic feats

Jeraa
2012-01-28, 01:31 AM
What order are metamagic feats applied to a spell? Specifically Heighten spell.

Take a 1st level spell. Add Heighten spell first (+1 level, so 2nd level) Add Quicken Spell (+4 levels, so now 6th level), then add Maximize Spell (+3 levels, so 9th level). Result is a spell with the save DC of a 2nd level spell, but requiring a 9th level slot.

Now take a 1st level spell, add Quicken spell then Maximize spell, bringing it up to 8th level. Now add Heighten spell to bring it up to 9th level. Result is a spell with the save DC of a 9th level spell, in a 9th level slot.

Or is my second situation wrong? A quickened maximized 1st level spell may take up an 8th level slot, but it is still a 1st level spell for all other purposes. Does Heighten spell apply to the original spell level, or the metamagic modified one?

The rules seem to be silent on the issue, as is the 3.5 FAQ. So, what is the Playgrounds opinion?

Personally, I would rule that Heighten spell must be applied first, before all other metamagic feats.

Battleship789
2012-01-28, 01:39 AM
What order are metamagic feats applied to a spell? Specifically Heighten spell.

Take a 1st level spell. Add Heighten spell first (+1 level, so 2nd level) Add Quicken Spell (+4 levels, so now 6th level), then add Maximize Spell (+3 levels, so 9th level). Result is a spell with the save DC of a 2nd level spell, but requiring a 9th level slot.

Now take a 1st level spell, add Quicken spell then Maximize spell, bringing it up to 8th level. Now add Heighten spell to bring it up to 9th level. Result is a spell with the save DC of a 9th level spell, in a 9th level slot.

Or is my second situation wrong? A quickened maximized 1st level spell may take up an 8th level slot, but it is still a 1st level spell for all other purposes. Does Heighten spell apply to the original spell level, or the metamagic modified one?

The rules seem to be silent on the issue, as is the 3.5 FAQ. So, what is the Playgrounds opinion?

Personally, I would rule that Heighten spell must be applied first, before all other metamagic feats.

The second situation is incorrect. The other metamagic feats say that they increase the spell slot required to cast the spell but mention nothing as to the spell level, which is what the save DC's are keyed off of. However, Heighten mentions that it specifically increases the spell level and by association, the spell slot.

Mystify
2012-01-28, 03:25 AM
Battleship is right. adding heighten at the end of the chain doesn't magically make all the rest of the metamagic count for higher spell levels. No matter if you apply it first or second, heighten +1 will only raise the spell 1 level.

You can apply the metamagic in whatever order you prefer, if it would make a difference.