PDA

View Full Version : ways to know more spells as a sorc [3.5]

Aemoh87
2012-01-28, 06:05 AM
I am starting to see how limited my sorc spell's known is becoming and I was wondering if there was an easy way to add more spells. I have looked at the bloodlines already and they are decent but rarely contain more than 1 spell you actually need.

NNescio
2012-01-28, 06:25 AM
I am starting to see how limited my sorc spell's known is becoming and I was wondering if there was an easy way to add more spells. I have looked at the bloodlines already and they are decent but rarely contain more than 1 spell you actually need.

Well, you combine that with the Apprentice (Spellcaster) feat from DMG II, letting you swap out the spells you don't need for the ones you want. Works better with Mother Cyst (LM) though. Also, fluff-wise, you'll need to find an NPC mentor.

Item-wise, you can use Knowstones (Dragon Magazine 333) or Runestaves (MIC). The latter's option is a bit more... kosher, considering that the former is from Dragon Magazine (and Knowstones are also freaking expensive).

On a side note, are you amendable to taking certain PrCs? Some effectively give you more spells known (or straight up adds to your spell list directly.)

Aemoh87
2012-01-28, 06:57 AM
Well, you combine that with the Apprentice (Spellcaster) feat from DMG II, letting you swap out the spells you don't need for the ones you want. Works better with Mother Cyst (LM) though. Also, fluff-wise, you'll need to find an NPC mentor.

That is sweet, granted it isn't the quickest way to do things, but I can see some really interesting uses for it!

Alleran
2012-01-28, 07:29 AM
The cyst-based spells also mean that you can dominate somebody without it being a mind-affecting effect. Quite useful.

You may also want to look into taking a level of Sand Shaper (Sandstorm). Just one level will get you Desert Magic, which adds something on the order of forty or more spells (and at levels at or lower than what they would normally be, too).

Ernir
2012-01-28, 10:55 AM
Drakehelms (Eberron Explorer's Handbook) and Rings of Theurgy (Complete Arcane) are a few kinds of fun.

Grim Reader
2012-01-28, 12:03 PM
Sand Shaper is really good for extra spell, it is true. It does lose you a caster level though, which is harsh for a Sorcerer. Other options include Heroes of Horrors Fiend-blooded, fewer spells added but full progression.

Also, Dragon Compendiums bloodline feats.

Finally, Mage of the Arcane Order, the most fun thing your Sorcerer can do with his pants on.

Thurbane
2012-01-28, 07:01 PM
The Celestial Sorcerer Lore (PHB2) feat adds three spells to your repertoire, but has some heavy reqs.

As well as the PrCs mentioned above, Wild Soul (CM) adds the ability to swap out spell slots for a list of spells from 1st to 9th, although they are not actually added to your "spells known" list as such. It also adds some creature options to your Summon Monster spells.

Manateee
2012-01-28, 09:51 PM
Finally, Mage of the Arcane Order, the most fun thing your Sorcerer can do with his pants on.
Wait. Pants? I thought there was a reason mages wear robes. :smallredface:

dextercorvia
2012-01-28, 11:13 PM
Someone has already mentioned my Necrotic Apprentice, although I would like to mention that you can do both a Bloodline and Mother Cyst together with Apprentice Spellcaster. That gets you 2 spells of every level except 1st and 2nd, where you get 3. Apprentice Spellcaster also makes UMD a class skill forever (along with a knowledge of your choice), which is nice when you want to pull out a random divine scroll some time.

If you are playing near the shallow end of the alignment table, you can pick up Arcane Preparation, which will allow you to prepare Sanctified spells.

Chronos
2012-01-29, 01:42 AM
If you are playing near the shallow end of the alignment table, you can pick up Arcane Preparation, which will allow you to prepare Sanctified spells.And Arcane Preparation also opens up Mage of the Arcane Order, which is amazing for utility spells. Always have the right spell for the job, no matter what the job is.

sreservoir
2012-01-29, 01:11 PM
arcane preparation should also, alternatively, allow you to prepare corrupt spells.

dextercorvia
2012-01-29, 01:12 PM
arcane preparation should also, alternatively, allow you to prepare corrupt spells.

I wasn't sure about that. I don't have BoVD, and I thought I remembered that they behaved slightly differently.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-29, 01:21 PM
Get a cheap Runestaff (MIC), get either Ancestral Relic (BoED) or Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), and upgrade it to contain whatever spells you want without having to meet any crafting prerequisites.

Navigator
2012-01-29, 04:15 PM
Arcane Disciple will give you every spell of a domain, but only be able to cast each once a day. For example, the Trade and Luck domains are very good when taken like this.

dextercorvia
2012-01-29, 04:25 PM
Arcane Disciple will give you every spell of a domain, but only be able to cast each once a day. For example, the Trade and Luck domains are very good when taken like this.

It only adds them to your list. As a Sorcerer, you still have to learn them, and then (unlike an ordinary domain spell that a sorcerer learns -- say from Divine Oracle) you still can only use them once per day, and are based on Wisdom. This is an awful deal for a Sorcerer.