PDA

View Full Version : When blood is spilled...(Warlock PrC, PEACH)

PersonMan
2012-01-28, 09:17 AM
The Sanguine Master

Entry Requirements:
Eldritch Blast: 3d6
Skills: Heal 2 ranks
Invocations: Must know 3 invocations.

(Those with abilities similar to Eldritch Blast in function who also possess invocations may also enter this class.)

Hit Die: d8

Skill points per level: 2 + Int modifier
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise
(Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana)
(Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int),
and Use Magic Device (Cha).

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invocations

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Sanguine Blast, Blood Pool |+1 level of existing class

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Bleeding Strength |+1 level of existing class

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Splashing Blast |+1 level of existing class

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Blood in the Air |+1 level of existing class

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Blood Blades |+1 level of existing class

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Red Mist |+1 level of existing class

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Double Blast|+1 level of existing class

8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Sanguine Flow|+1 level of existing class

9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Clotting Blast |+1 level of existing class

10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Sanguine Control |+1 level of existing class
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A sanguine master gains no new proficiency with weapons or armor.

Invocations: A sanguine master's class levels stack with their warlock levels for determining how many invocations they know, their caster level for invocations as well as for the grade of invocations they have access to.

Blood Pool (Ex): At level 1 a sanguine master's body begins to produce more blood. This blood is used to power the new abilities that the sanguine master learns and masters. A sanguine master has a pool of blood points equal to their class level x their Constitution modifier(minimum 1) + 3. Blood points regenerate at a rate of 1 per class level per hour, or 1 per point of Constitution bonus, whichever is less, triple that while resting.

Sanguine Blast (Su): A sanguine master can, starting at level 1, choose to use their blood to form a powerful projectile to imbue with eldritch energy. A Sanguine Blast costs one blood point and deals damage equal to that of the sanguine master's eldritch blast +1d6. A Sanguine Blast has the same range, effective spell level, caster level and the like of the sanguine master's Eldritch Blast.

A sanguine master can improve the damage of their Sanguine Blast by 1d6 per additional blood point they spend, up to 1d6 extra damage per two class levels they have.

Sanguine Blasts can be modified by eldritch essence invocations and blast shapes, although doing so increases the blood point cost by 1 per effective level of the invocation. A Sanguine Blast cannot be modified by both an eldritch essence or blast shape invocation and a Blood Augment (see below).

Sanguine Blasts can also be modified in different ways as the sanguine master gains levels. These modifications are referred to as Blood Augments. Applying a Blood Augment is part of the action of using a Sanguine Blast, and every Blood Augment has a separate blood point cost, which is added to that of the Sanguine Blast.

Unless otherwise stated, a sanguine master can only spend a number of blood points equal to their class level + 2 on a single Blood Augment.

Splashing Blast: At level 3, a sanguine master can modify their Sanguine Blast so that, while it does less damage, it soaks the target in magically altered blood. A Splashing Blast does 1d6 less damage than a normal Sanguine Blast, but it reduces the target's AC by 1 point and gives them a -1 penalty to Reflex saves for 1 round.

A Splashing Blast costs 1 additional blood point. A sanguine master can increase the AC decrease and penalty to Reflex saves by 1 point per 2 blood points they spend.

Blood Blades (Su): At level 5 a sanguine master learns how to carefully form and strengthen their blood into a weapon. The Blood Blade deals damage equal to that of the sanguine master's Sanguine Blast and has the same reach as a non-reach weapon of the sanguine master's size category (so a Large sanguine master's Blood Blade will have 10' reach, but a Medium one's will have only 5' reach).

Blood Blades cost 3 additional blood points to create and can be kept formed for up to 1 minute per class level before the cost must be paid again. For an additional 2 blood points the sanguine master spends, the reach of the Blood Blades increases by 5'.

Double Blast (Su): At level 7 a sanguine master can fire two blasts instead of one, using a smaller, more concentrated amount of blood. A Double Blast deals 1.5x the damage of a normal Sanguine Blast. The damage dice can be divided between the two blasts however the sanguine master wishes, but each blast must deal at least 2d6 damage.

A Double Blast costs 5 additional points.

Clotting Blast (Su): At level 9 a sanguine master can sent an orb of rapidly congealing blood at an enemy, making it incredibly difficult for them to move quickly or fight. A Clotting Blast deals normal damage and, upon being hit, the target must make a Reflex save (DC = 15 + the sanguine master's Constitution modifier) or be slowed, as the spell, for 4 rounds.

A Clotting Blast costs 4 additional points. A sanguine master can lengthen the duration of the slow for 1 round per 2 extra blood points they pay or increase the save DC by 1 per 2 extra blood points they pay.

Bleeding Strength (Su): At level 2 a sanguine master knows how to use the blood they shed to defend themselves. For every 10% (rounded down) of their HP they are missing, they gain a +1 bonus to AC.

For 1 blood point per AC bonus, a sanguine master can temporarily harden their blood to extreme levels, gaining DR /adamantine equal to their AC bonus gained from Bleeding Strength for 1 round as an immediate action. This duration can be increased by 1 round per additional 2 blood points spent.

Blood in the Air (Su): At level 4 a sanguine master can draw in a small amount of the blood being shed in combat. As a standard action, a sanguine master can regain a number of blood points equal to their class level, if a creature possessing a circulatory system within 30' has taken an equal or greater amount of damage within the past 2 rounds.

At levels 6, 8 and 10 the range of this ability increases by 10'.

Red Mist (Su): At level 6 a sanguine master causes the blood lost by his enemies to float into the air, creating a fine red mist rather than clotting normally. Every time a creature possessing a circulatory system takes damage within the range of a sanguine master's Blood in the Air ability, they take 1 additional point of damage. After a total of 10 points of extra damage have been dealt by this ability, the sanguine master's allies gain a degree of concealment from the mist. Attacks against the sanguine master's allies within the mist have 5% miss chance.

At level 8, this miss chance increases to 10% after 15 points of extra damage have been dealt by Red Mist.

Sanguine Flow (Su): At level 8 a sanguine master can attempt to force a copious amount of blood from an already injured enemy. As a standard action, the sanguine master can force blood from an enemy with a circulatory system within 80'. The target receives a Fortitude save (DC = 16 + the sanguine master's Constitution modifier) or they take 1d8 damage per the sanguine master's class level and are surrounded by slippery blood, the equivalent of a Grease spell centered on them for 2 rounds.

Sanguine Control (Su): At level 10 a sanguine's master control over their blood reaches a new level, and they can use the blood they produce to speed up their natural healing. By spending three blood points, a sanguine master can speed up their natural so that, in one hour of normal activity, they are healed as if they had spent a full night resting.

Kane0
2012-01-28, 09:35 AM
Im a rather large fan of Warlocks and Invokers in general, and I can safely say i love this PrC. It reminds me of a Warlock version of the Blood Magus

Now unfortunately I do have to say the Blood Point Pool is pretty confusing and if you manage to get around it also more than a little tedious. I'd hazard a guess that part of the charm of invokers is that resource management is downplayed, and inserting blood points points away from that. Given that they seem to recharge fairly quickly and the relative cost in those points in most abilities, i dont think i want to say you may want to consider other options, but i guess ill have to be the bearer of bad news here and say i tried a class ability point system too and it failed pretty bad. Sorry to be the pain about that.

That said i dont want to leave you with that. If i may, would you think it reasonable to change blood points into giving most of your abilities cool-downs while your blood builds up again? Or possibly follow the example of the Blood Magus and use blood in the form of HP to power your abilities, and make it nonlethal damage that is healed by your rapid blood generation ability?

Other than that i see that double blast arrives one level before your BAB allows a second iterative. Is that intentional?
Can i also suggest you make some kind of addition to the requirement of eldritch blast 3d6 to allow other kinds of blasts from invoking classes throghout the forums? Eldritch Blast, Netherchannel, Fervid Blast, etc are all pretty much the same and probably should be uniform, but since they arent can you allow for those to count?

Amechra
2012-01-29, 01:55 PM
I will make one named Igarashi Ganta, I will!

[Seriously, the first thing I thought of when seeing this was Deadman Wonderland, which makes this uber-badass.]

PersonMan
2012-01-30, 05:22 AM
Now unfortunately I do have to say the Blood Point Pool is pretty confusing and if you manage to get around it also more than a little tedious. I'd hazard a guess that part of the charm of invokers is that resource management is downplayed, and inserting blood points points away from that. Given that they seem to recharge fairly quickly and the relative cost in those points in most abilities, i dont think i want to say you may want to consider other options, but i guess ill have to be the bearer of bad news here and say i tried a class ability point system too and it failed pretty bad. Sorry to be the pain about that.

Well, for the most part the system is set up purely on extra abilities - as long as you don't bleed yourself dry, so to speak, you should have enough blood points for Sanguine Blasts during every fight. You have full invoking, so it's really just a question of 'do I use my abilities a bit more conservatively, or go all-out and hope we don't have a fight in the next few hours?' Once you get Blood in the Air, you can regen during fights (especially if it's basically over and you're in mop-up, or if it's right afterwards and you spend 2 rounds regaining blood points from the bleeding out/dead enemies) pretty well.

That said i dont want to leave you with that. If i may, would you think it reasonable to change blood points into giving most of your abilities cool-downs while your blood builds up again? Or possibly follow the example of the Blood Magus and use blood in the form of HP to power your abilities, and make it nonlethal damage that is healed by your rapid blood generation ability?

I sort of considered both, but I think it'd be difficult to balance HP-for-blasting stuff, as one could just lock down the enemy, blast away half your HP and be fine because they can't get to you.

Other than that i see that double blast arrives one level before your BAB allows a second iterative. Is that intentional?

I didn't actually take that into account. The main use, I imagine, is going to be using it as a damage boost and targeting a main enemy and a mook with it, although an even .75 split could work if you aren't focus firing.

Can i also suggest you make some kind of addition to the requirement of eldritch blast 3d6 to allow other kinds of blasts from invoking classes throghout the forums? Eldritch Blast, Netherchannel, Fervid Blast, etc are all pretty much the same and probably should be uniform, but since they arent can you allow for those to count?

To be honest, it's probably not strictly necessary since anyone allowing homebrew will probably be open to someone asking for a slight change in PrC requirements, but I'll add in a similar ability clause.

I will make one named Igarashi Ganta, I will!

[Seriously, the first thing I thought of when seeing this was Deadman Wonderland, which makes this uber-badass.]

It's kind of the inspiration, actually. I've been toying with the idea of a blood-based/blood-using caster PrC for a while, but the ideas never really fully materialized.

Kane0
2012-01-30, 06:23 AM
Well, for the most part the system is set up purely on extra abilities - as long as you don't bleed yourself dry, so to speak, you should have enough blood points for Sanguine Blasts during every fight. You have full invoking, so it's really just a question of 'do I use my abilities a bit more conservatively, or go all-out and hope we don't have a fight in the next few hours?' Once you get Blood in the Air, you can regen during fights (especially if it's basically over and you're in mop-up, or if it's right afterwards and you spend 2 rounds regaining blood points from the bleeding out/dead enemies) pretty well.

Well, if im reading this right your saying that since you regen blood points fairly quickly and there are ways to avoid expending too many points to seriously worry about rationing, wouldnt it be more efficient to do away with the point system and move towards something else? Plenty of other options allow the choice between letting them have it all then and there or conserving and staying relatively threatening for a longer time.

PersonMan
2012-01-30, 08:56 AM
Well, if im reading this right your saying that since you regen blood points fairly quickly and there are ways to avoid expending too many points to seriously worry about rationing, wouldnt it be more efficient to do away with the point system and move towards something else? Plenty of other options allow the choice between letting them have it all then and there or conserving and staying relatively threatening for a longer time.

Such as...? I'm open to suggestions, but for now at least I think that the current system works the best for what I want.

Kane0
2012-01-30, 03:27 PM
Hmm, off the top of my head:

- splitting your abilities into at will (with a caveat) and use per day or use per hour abilities. Your sanguine blast might only effect blooded opponents if it is at will, for example.

- a pool of uses per day instead of points that most abilities draw from. These may or may not replenish over time, depending on how you want to work it

- having some abilities that are at will but take a few rounds before you can use them again, like a dragons breath weapon.

Theres more options out there, but im sure you can tweak one of these, or a comination of them if you like, into an efficient mechanic.