PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Crafting Wands (Help Required Asap)

Gandolfi Feesh
2012-01-28, 11:46 AM
RAW*
While item creation costs are handled in detail below, note that normally the two primary factors are the caster level of the creator and the level of the spell or spells put into the item. A creator can create an item at a lower caster level than her own, but never lower than the minimum level needed to cast the needed spell. Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal.

RAW*
Regardless of the time needed for construction, a caster can create no more than one magic item per day. This process can be accelerated to 4 hours of work per 1,000 gp in the item's base price (or fraction thereof) by increasing the DC to create the item by 5.

The caster can work for up to 8 hours each day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Wiz 8 Cohort is going to craft me an Empowered Magic Missile [CL7] wand amongst other things. I have him tucked up in a Portable Hole with a Neckace of Adaption, a Ring of Sustenance, a portable Alchemist's Lab and a couple of everburning torches for some ambiance. He has Craft Wand, Arcane Builder [Wand] and Empower feats. He also has the Hedge Magician trait and the max skill ranks in Spellcraft and Craft (Wand related skills)

Couple of Questions on the subject:

a) Since Empowered Magic Missile is technically a third level spell slot, will it cost me half the base price of a third level wand or a first??

b) Since we know my Wizards Int score, will the DC be set according to his respective stat or will it be the minimum required to cast the spell as normal?
(This is not for Magic Missile, but for things like Lightning Bolt)
i.e The Wizard's Int is 20 (+5), so what would the DC of a Lightning Bolt wand created by him and used by my character be?
[10 + spell level 3 + Int Mod 5] or
[10 + spell level 3 + Int Mod 1 (Int 13)] ?

c) If you accelerate the process to get 1,000gp worth of work done in four hours, can you effectively get 2,000gp worth of work done in 8 hours by increasing the Crafting DC by 5?

d) It says you can only create one magic item in a day, can I brew potions after working on the item for eight hours?

e i) Can I (Cleric) cast spells into wands that he is creating? i.e can I aid him in crafting Cure Light Wounds wands by expending a cure lights every day that is required to craft the wand?

e ii) If so, the Healing Domain allows all my spells to be empowered for free, so would the wands effectively be Empowered Cure Light Wounds?

e iii) Since they're Empowered for free, would the wand count as a first level spell or third with regards to base price?

I just want all these details ironed out before my DM starts the campaign, as I've never looked into crafting before. All help is much appreciated.

Gandolfi Feesh
2012-01-28, 01:32 PM
Thanks man, I really appreciate that.

JoeYounger
2012-01-28, 03:10 PM
Ye old bump

be careful with the bumps! Double posting is against forum rules!

A) yes, empowered magic missile is a 3rd level spell, so it will cost half of a third level spell to make.
b) It will be the minimum, there is a feat / ACF if memory serves which allows you to treat spells from wands like staffs where you can use your stats, but I cant think of where its at
c) Yes, 2000gp in one day is the most you can get done on one item.
d) Talk to your DM, but RAW says no, one item per day, reguardless of what it is. And also, you have to finish whatever item you're working on before starting a new one. Like if you're making a wand of fireball, and start a potion of invis before you finish the wand, the wand is now gone.
e i) yes, you can
e ii) yes, if you're casting empowered spells into the wands, the wand will be empowered. also, if you DMM a spell to get it down to level 4 or lower, you can have it in the wand.
e iii) if they're empowered for free, it doesnt increase the spell level of the wand. they will be first level spells with first level spell DCs.

Also, if you're playing 3.p you should google the "total cost reduction handbook"

That will show you feats that let you craft stuff for less gold, xp and time.

But the best thing you can do is get a dedicated write. google it to find specifics of what book its in, but im pretty sure its forgotten realms campaign setting. Its a construct you craft yourself for like 2000gp, then it takes one hour of you "setting it up" then it will craft non-stop to finish any item for you, so if you have one, you can craft an item, your cohort can craft one, and your write can craft one. Its pretty legit.

*Edited for clarification and more accurate info.