PDA

View Full Version : Simple Flavor for a Pyrokineticist

zoobob9
2012-01-28, 07:57 PM
Short and sweet version: looking to make a pyromancer soon, and need a class that has concentration as a skill that I'll only take for 5 levels. The ECL has to be 9, and the character has to be non evil. Any stories about experiences with the Pyromancer would be appreciated.

Long version:
My current guy is dying soon, and the Pyromancer seems cool. For flavor, My guy is going to be a middle aged Elan. This takes care of the power points that he needs, and works with the campaign. I've considered a plethora of classes, from ranger to favored soul to wilder, and none of them seem right. I'm still unsure on how I'll play him, and a lot of the other details such as feats, etc. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

GreenSerpent
2012-01-28, 07:59 PM
Soulknife. Concentration as a skill and so on.

*actually, making a Pyrokineticist myself right now...*

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-28, 08:23 PM
Short and sweet version: looking to make a pyromancer soon, and need a class that has concentration as a skill that I'll only take for 5 levels. The ECL has to be 9, and the character has to be non evil. Any stories about experiences with the Pyromancer would be appreciated.

Long version:
My current guy is dying soon, and the Pyromancer seems cool. For flavor, My guy is going to be a middle aged Elan. This takes care of the power points that he needs, and works with the campaign. I've considered a plethora of classes, from ranger to favored soul to wilder, and none of them seem right. I'm still unsure on how I'll play him, and a lot of the other details such as feats, etc. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

PsyWar is great to combo with Pyrokeneticist. Soulknife... sucks. Hardcore. PsyWar does everything a Soulknife wishes it could... and then some.

Psywar into Slayer and Pyrokeneticist is a bog-standard build.

zoobob9
2012-01-28, 08:33 PM
PsyWar is great to combo with Pyrokeneticist. Soulknife... sucks. Hardcore. PsyWar does everything a Soulknife wishes it could... and then some.

Psywar into Slayer and Pyrokeneticist is a bog-standard build.

Which book is that in?

Manateee
2012-01-28, 08:38 PM
Spending a feat on Martial Study: Moment of Perfect Mind isn't exactly a waste, no matter what lead-in you take.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-28, 08:38 PM
Which book is that in?

All three are found on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/psionicRacesClassesSkillsSpells.htm)

RaggedAngel
2012-01-28, 08:40 PM
A Desert Wind and Diamond Mind-focused Swordsage goes quite well with Pyrokineticist, though you have the problem of using a lot of a single element and needing both Wis and Cha.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-28, 09:14 PM
I'll agree with Swordsage and use a lot of Desert Wind because... fire.

Pyrokineticist is a bit of a liability, considering that fire is the most often resisted/immune energy type. You could try a different energy type (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a), though that wouldn't really mesh with Desert Wind so well.

Any feat that can be applied to a standard whip can be used with the Fire Lash. That means you can Power Attack with it, even two-handed, since it's making touch attacks anyway. Note that any bonus damage such as from Power Attack, Sneak Attack, etc. is the same type as the weapon's base damage, so in this case it would be more fire damage. Also be sure to get Point-Blank Shot for a permanent +1 attack and damage, and Precise Shot should be useful as well.

You'd probably be better off going Swordsage 5/ Pyrokineticist 1/ Swordsage 14, since the later levels of Pyrokineticist are extremely lacking and you can get the same flavor from higher level Desert Wind maneuvers and stances.

Psyren
2012-01-29, 12:54 AM
3.5 or Pathfinder? Both Soulknife and Pyrokineticist are drastically different between the two systems.