PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Code All Over Again

Aron Times
2012-01-28, 08:06 PM
Hello Friendly Banter!

I rarely visit this part of the Playground, spending most of my time in the various gaming forums, but this topic doesn't fit into any of those, so i have come here to ask for help.

In 2001, I enrolled into the Computer Science program in a local university in my hometown, which is somewhere in the Philippines. We studied C primarily in the first and second years, but I would drop out due to my illness, which is a minor condition known as Paranoid Schizophrenia.

Four years later, in 2005, I would move to the USA. It was here that I was diagnosed with my illness. It took me a good six years to recover, though I have to take my meds for the rest of my life. One side effect of my meds is that my memories from the onset of my illness (around 12 to 13 years old) to the time I started treatment (2005, when I was 21) are a bit hazy. This includes my knowledge of computer programming.

So, I think I have recovered enough to be able to try again, so I was wondering... What is a good way for me to learn how to code all over again? Which programming languages should I start with? Which sites should I go to?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Istari
2012-01-28, 08:30 PM
This (http://codingbat.com/) is a pretty nice site for practicing java if you have a little bit of backround in code.

Niezck
2012-01-28, 08:41 PM
I used this (http://cplusplus.com) site for learning C++ by myself, it's really quite good and has a full reference library of (I think) all standard commands.

Grinner
2012-01-28, 09:13 PM
If you want to get a job as a programmer, I'd recommend attending classes at a local college.

However, if you simply want to study for the sake of edification, I'd recommend this site (http://www.cprogramming.com). This site covers the fundamentals of C and C++.

From there on, it really depends on what you want to do. Write back, and I can make some recommendations.

factotum
2012-01-29, 02:09 AM
Do you remember which language you studied back then? Seems logical to start with the same one, because even if your memories of it are hazy, you'll surely have an easier time of it than starting fresh with a completely unknown language!

Eloel
2012-01-29, 11:30 AM
Do you remember which language you studied back then? Seems logical to start with the same one, because even if your memories of it are hazy, you'll surely have an easier time of it than starting fresh with a completely unknown language!

We studied C primarily in the first and second years,

White text

blackfox
2012-01-29, 12:19 PM
Once you've got the basics of whatever language you've picked down, this (http://projecteuler.net/) is a good website to get into the mindset of programming. Basically just a bunch of computationally intensive mathematical problems that can be (fairly) easily solved with code.

shawnhcorey
2012-01-30, 09:26 AM
For novice programmers, I usually recommend starting with one of the scripting languages, Perl, Python, Ruby, or even PHP. If you're going to be doing C or any of its variants, I recommend Perl or Python. If Java, start with Ruby.

polity4life
2012-01-30, 09:32 AM
I bought a couple books on SQL and Python to kick start my (re)education into programming. I also use a bunch of online resources for VBA, many of which I can't link as I'm at work.

Tyndmyr
2012-01-30, 09:45 AM
I'd honestly start with visual basic. The syntax/IDE seems really easy for newcomers to coding to grasp. Then, probably C#, with the XNA package. Good stuff. Then, branch out into Java, and possibly C/C++ after that. Best to walk before you run.

shawnhcorey
2012-01-30, 10:11 AM
I bought a couple books on SQL and Python to kick start my (re)education into programming. I also use a bunch of online resources for VBA, many of which I can't link as I'm at work.

SQL is a whole different kettle of fish form Python. Start by concentrating on Python and when you're comfortable with it, add in SQL. Python is a general-purpose programming language designed for simple tasks but can be used for large projects. SQL is designed for interactions with a RDBMS. Many databases add extra commands to SQL to make it easier to work with. It is designed for a specific job, so it's not as useful outside its area of expertise.

polity4life
2012-01-30, 10:50 AM
SQL is a whole different kettle of fish form Python. Start by concentrating on Python and when you're comfortable with it, add in SQL. Python is a general-purpose programming language designed for simple tasks but can be used for large projects. SQL is designed for interactions with a RDBMS. Many databases add extra commands to SQL to make it easier to work with. It is designed for a specific job, so it's not as useful outside its area of expertise.

Well, I need to use SQL for my job so that explains why I have that in my toolbox. Python and VBA are just for fun and hopefully feathers in my resume cap.