PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Prize #3

Ancalagon
2012-01-29, 04:14 AM
Let's throw out specualtions what #3 might be. In contrast to the other speculations I find it more interesting because... the solution is actually unkown by anyone.

I would like to see a story:

Xykon does Good
We all know Xykon is reckless and causes a lot of damage due to that. We also all know he has no intention of doing good or helping others. But I found it funny if he did go on some errand, do reckless stuff and all of that has unforeseen and unintended consequences that are very and clearly positive for all kinds of people around.

Instead of the usual "He so much wants good and does bad", I found it funny to see that twisted into "He wants todo bad (or at least does what he always does) and does good".

Our favourite Lich has a very special adventure (and he might or might not find out about the outcomes).

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-29, 07:20 AM
Post Mortem Tales

A series of short comics showing the shenanigans of various characters in their respective afterlives. Roy's assorted family members, Tsukiko, Therkla, the residents of Azure City, Miko (if the Giant's feeling brave), the Kobolds killed by Belkar, maybe even throw in Right-Eye.

That'd be fun I think.

The Succubus
2012-01-29, 08:29 AM
If I were the Giant, I wouldn't touch the Miko story with a very very long pole.

Ancalagon
2012-01-29, 08:31 AM
If I were the Giant, I wouldn't touch the Miko story with a very very long pole.

You are not, but I agree. But what's your suggestion?

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-29, 08:34 AM

She's been dead for God knows how long. Surely enough time has passed by now.

Kish
2012-01-29, 08:43 AM
Miko will never have been dead long enough for officially depicting her in any specific afterlife plane not to be explosive.

Subzero008
2012-01-29, 08:48 AM
Tarquin's tips on becoming an evil overlord: do's and don'ts

A brief look at Tarquin's rise to power, with him narrating on the mistakes he made and his greatest triumphs.

Ancalagon
2012-01-29, 08:49 AM
Actually, we see it's not long enough: Even mentioning her as possibility is enough explosive to blow any thread from its rails.

blackjack217
2012-01-29, 08:50 AM
OOTS world campaign setting.

Morty
2012-01-29, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a short story of Horace Greenhilt's exploits or a gallery of Oracle's customers.

ella ventic
2012-01-29, 09:02 AM
I'd like to see the OOTS deal with the unstoppable runaway monster that is... a Kickstarter campaign!

Topus
2012-01-29, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing [...] a gallery of Oracle's customers.

this sounds very interesting and funny :)

ORione
2012-01-29, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a short story of Horace Greenhilt's exploits...

Ooh, it could be narrated by Sarah Greenhilt, telling the stories to little Roy.

The Succubus
2012-01-29, 01:55 PM

A brief look at Tarquin's rise to power, with him narrating on the mistakes he made and his greatest triumphs.

Actually I really like this idea. Being an evil overlord isn't easy and I'm sure many rookies have fallen at the first hurdle through not being prepared:

Hell, even *Xykon* was thrown in the slammer when he first went independent with the good guys making lame wisecracks about him.

zimmerwald1915
2012-01-29, 03:00 PM
This. A thousand times, this. Preferably including lots of lovely maps.

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-29, 06:38 PM
I was thinking a realistic drawing of the OOTS (including Blackwing, Mr. Scruffy, and Banjo), a la strip #339 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0339.html). Premium rewards would be signed copies and the original (signed) drawing. And more drawings are added the higher it goes, so something like:

$300k: OOTS
$310k: Team Evil
$325k: Linear Guild
And so on.

This. A thousand times, this. Preferably including lots of lovely maps.And a million times this. Probably best for something like this to come out when the main story's over, though. :smallfrown:

sparkyinbozo
2012-01-30, 12:18 AM
I'd love to see a raffle for the backers of a cool swag prize; something like one of the premium rewards, like a full set of the books or crayon drawing of our party.

It seems like it'd be a cool way to reward all of the backers.

fibonacciseries
2012-01-30, 12:41 AM
Miko stories from before she met the Order.

Xianthe
2012-01-30, 12:50 AM

It's OOTS meets Evil Overlord's List. I approve.

slayerx
2012-01-30, 02:09 AM
Bizarro/mirror universe

The order of the stick as band of evil adventurers in one of their many adventures against the good sorcerer Xykon and his team of do-gooders

Ancalagon
2012-01-30, 02:57 AM
Bizarro/mirror universe

The order of the stick as band of evil adventurers in one of their many adventures against the good sorcerer Xykon and his team of good-doers

I do like this one as well. Vaarsuvius as the evil Lich and Xykon as some sort of half-celestial. :)

ti'esar
2012-01-30, 03:20 AM

Full-scale? Probably way, way too much work for Rich to do, except maybe after the comic's over. But a guide to the "World of OOTS", along the lines of the guide to Azure City in one of the books, would be both really cool and actually plausible.

Although that would probably have to wait until after the comic's done too, because of spoilers.

And the mirror universe idea is a cliche, but for a good reason - I'd like that too. I doubt Mystery Prize 3 will be another mini-story, though. There's already six.

DemonRoach
2012-01-30, 09:58 AM
I have faith in the Giant, it will be more awesome than my feeble imagination :smallsmile:

That said...

I concur with Miko not being touched with the longest pole imaginable.

The adventures of the Order of the Scribble would be interesting, but as I expect there is a reveal at some point in the normal plot ark that would be avoided.

The rise of Tarquin's various empires would likely be a similar situation.

Ah hah! I've got something!

The rocky story of Tarquin and Elan/Nale's mother, their meeting under such circumstances that, initially, the opposing alignments was no concern. Then Tarquin's chafing under a mundane Chaotic Good life, constantly haunted by the rise and attacks of old foes, until at last he flees into the night with Nale (Well, actually he walks from the court, but whatever).

k_bukie
2012-01-30, 10:52 AM
I'd enjoy a story about "Haley's Tramps", a brief view of the afterlives of all the former Haley adversaries that have since shuffled off their mortal coil: Samantha, Leeky's hawk, Miko, Crystal, Therkla and Tsukiko.

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-01-30, 04:36 PM
Oh so many ideas;

1) As mentioned on the back of Snips 'Fruit Pie Sorceror: A Life' ; an epic tale of heroism, villany, and baked goods. Lest we forget. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0091.html)

2) Maybe a short Tarquin background story, from when he was an adventurer, provided of course this didn't have main-plot backstory issues.

3) Enor and Ganjii; bounty hunting tale?

4) Some Hinjo backstory (avoiding any mention of Miko, of course)

I do like the Tarquin/Evil Overlord mashup concept.

Anarion
2012-01-30, 06:02 PM

This would be great.

Another one that would be interesting is a series of Xykon's adventures from the middle of his life
SoD spoilers
How did he get from just foiled and released from jail to flying in and attacking a paladin fort where he met Redcloak?

OPM
2012-01-30, 06:04 PM
It should be a box of Tsukiko Flakes.

*crunch* *crunch* *crunch*
:redcloak: Stays crunchy, even in milk!

Lord_Jadawin
2012-01-30, 08:11 PM
The OP's idea deserved a lot more attention than it got, IMO (the ridiculous Miko derail might have had something to do with that). I think this is an awesome idea.

Let's throw out specualtions what #3 might be. In contrast to the other speculations I find it more interesting because... the solution is actually unkown by anyone.

I would like to see a story:

Xykon does Good
We all know Xykon is reckless and causes a lot of damage due to that. We also all know he has no intention of doing good or helping others. But I found it funny if he did go on some errand, do reckless stuff and all of that has unforeseen and unintended consequences that are very and clearly positive for all kinds of people around.

Instead of the usual "He so much wants good and does bad", I found it funny to see that twisted into "He wants todo bad (or at least does what he always does) and does good".

Our favourite Lich has a very special adventure (and he might or might not find out about the outcomes).

ti'esar
2012-01-30, 08:13 PM
4) Some Hinjo backstory (avoiding any mention of Miko, of course)

The Giant doesn't intend to avoid ever mentioning Miko again - she's been confirmed to appear in How The Paladin Got His Scar in a supporting role. And I'm not sure why he'd really need to, anyway. The problem with the suggestion from before was the idea of seeing Miko in the afterlife, and thereby making some sort of conclusion moral statement on her. That is the kind of thing that would really stir up a firestorm.

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-01-30, 09:04 PM
The Giant doesn't intend to avoid ever mentioning Miko again - she's been confirmed to appear in How The Paladin Got His Scar in a supporting role. And I'm not sure why he'd really need to, anyway. The problem with the suggestion from before was the idea of seeing Miko in the afterlife, and thereby making some sort of conclusion moral statement on her. That is the kind of thing that would really stir up a firestorm.

When I lurked back in the Miko days, anything related to her seemed to spark madness; but yeah, an afterlife scene would really put the cat among the pigeons. While wearing a jet-pack.

SaintRidley
2012-01-30, 09:11 PM
When I lurked back in the Miko days, anything related to her seemed to spark madness; but yeah, an afterlife scene would really put the cat among the pigeons. While wearing a jet-pack.

Okay. Scratch all previous ideas. This has to be it. Mystery Prize three is a cat-sized jetpack so we can put a cat among the pigeons with a jetpack. That's why it wasn't viable as mystery prize two.

And this would be the greatest thing.

Although I do like the campaign setting and Xykon doing Good ideas, too.

rewinn
2012-01-30, 10:08 PM
Bizarro/mirror universe

The order of the stick as band of evil adventurers in one of their many adventures against the good sorcerer Xykon and his team of do-gooders
In BizarroOOTSverse, humanoid heads are hexagons and the limbs are ovals.

And Bizarro Oracle speaks clear and unambigous truths, which no-one understands.

bluewurm
2012-01-30, 10:39 PM
And Bizarro Oracle speaks clear and unambigous truths, which no-one understands.

Or, you remember your entire visit to the Oracle... except his answer to your question!

ThePhantasm
2012-01-31, 09:38 PM
Sir Francois and the Dragon, it ended up being. Pretty cool sounding.

Umbra
2012-02-01, 07:29 AM

This actually happens in SoD.

He imprisons Dorukan and Lirian in the same soul gem, letting them be together forever.

"No... not a prison anymore."