PDA

View Full Version : What the heck just happened with Mythweavers? [Disaster averted]

HeadlessMermaid
2012-01-29, 06:40 AM
Myth-Weavers was down for a while, and it just went up again. So far so good, nothing out of the ordinary.

But there's something horribly wrong with the character sheets. All fields have been erased, up to and including Spells & Powers. Only the fluff boxes (etc), and Other Notes are intact.

So, ummm, (deep breath), did we lose all our character sheets? :smalleek:

Is it just me? Is it temporary or permanent? Has anything like that happened before, and were the databases restored eventually? If this hasn't happened before, do you reckon that they CAN be restored?

Please please PLEASE tell me that they can be restored. :smallfrown:

Dimers
2012-01-29, 06:50 AM
You're just not looking at this the right way. It's not a "disastrous crash", it's a "opportunity to rewrite everything, get rid of that one skill the DM refuses to allow to work, and give yourself a couple more magic items". :smallwink:

I'm sorry, but I don't know more than you do. Interestingly, the text inside my Powers boxes (4e sheet) is still there, just not the names. I don't feel worried about stuff coming back, partly because the list of skill names is also gone, and that's not anything I entered myself. Way I figure it, if their servers had crashed so hard even the hard-coded stuff was eliminated, then we wouldn't be able to see anything. Since we can see some of it, it's probably not a serious, unrecoverable problem.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-29, 06:56 AM
:furious:

Please let there be a way to fix this. I spent actual days building some of those characters, I really don't want to have to do it again.

TuggyNE
2012-01-29, 07:10 AM
:eek:

Well, let's hope MW made daily+ backups like they should have.... (And that those were properly secured etc.)

(Also, there's at least one discussion (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=157771) on MW itself about this.)

HeadlessMermaid
2012-01-29, 07:11 AM
Here's the relevant MW thread (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=157771). No official word, yet. (And stoic reactions so far, though not necessarily optimistic....)

EDIT: Damn ninjas.

EDIT2: An official word!

"Earlier today the site was unavailable whilst we optimized the sheets database. It seems that the contents of all sheets have gone missing. I'm looking into it but as I don't know exactly what was done it may be necessary to wait until the person who did the job wakes up. "

...and a comment that broke my heart:

But there were errors in the past and sheets didn't reset themselves.

Circle of Life
2012-01-29, 07:13 AM
You know, given the track record of Mythweavers over the past few years, I'm surprised people still use it to keep sheets.

I'm guilty of it myself, but I'm seriously considering switching to a more reliable hosting site right now.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-29, 07:15 AM

EDIT2: An official word!

That isn't the most comforting thing I've ever read.

You know, given the track record of Mythweavers over the past few years, I'm surprised people still use it to keep sheets.

I'm guilty of it myself, but I'm seriously considering switching to a more reliable hosting site right now.

I don't recall ever having any issues with them, maybe I've just been lucky. This has happened before I take it?

TuggyNE
2012-01-29, 07:19 AM
EDIT: Damn ninjas.

Hurray I ninja'd someone...?

But yeah, it doesn't sound too great. Guess we'll need to wait and see.

PersonMan
2012-01-29, 08:32 AM
I'm getting a 'spending some time doing a system clean and repair.' message now. I must have been asleep while the sheets were up, as last I checked it was all down.

shaddy_24
2012-01-29, 09:59 AM
When did this happen? I checked several of my sheets less than an hour ago and they were still filled out.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-29, 11:11 AM
THE SHEETS!! THEY LIVE!! :biggrin:

Now to go make duplicates on a bunch of other sites :smallannoyed:

Cieyrin
2012-01-29, 11:56 AM
THE SHEETS!! THEY LIVE!! :biggrin:

Now to go make duplicates on a bunch of other sites :smallannoyed:

I noticed the site being down this morning and now, reading this thread, went to check all my sheets and, far as I can tell, it's all there. I haven't done any PbPs lately, so I'm not terribly worried about it and it looks like regular backups were in place, so I don't see a need to migrate somewhere else.

HeadlessMermaid
2012-01-29, 01:36 PM
Phew, okay, disaster averted.

*backs up everything*

Hazzardevil
2012-01-29, 03:00 PM
I hardly ever use Mythweavers now, due to how the site seems to go down on semi-regular basis, so I use DNDSheets and The Tangled web, which hardly ever go down and have sheets which work better.

Sith_Happens
2012-01-30, 02:55 AM
So what's a good non-Mythweavers site for nWoD sheets then?

Kalirren
2012-01-30, 08:56 PM
So what's a good non-Mythweavers site for nWoD sheets then?

Calenestel on these forums recommended this site to me once. It's never failed me before, and has sheets for nWoD and oWoD.

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiStart