PDA

View Full Version : Preorder Book 8 (volume 5) on Kickstarter

ClothSword
2012-01-29, 09:30 AM
Idea: Ask the giant to add the next book on kickstarter

Why not message him?: If every 10th person thinks of something he'll spend his life in his inbox

Pros: Reliable estimate of number of book 8s needed to be printed generated, which is important for printing profit margins, and not becoming a crazy old cat lady but with boxes of unsold books rather than cats. Fans don't get disappointed by it being sold out.

Cons: To keep things simple with shipping and the rewards interactions, a second drive would need to be created for the preorders, to account for shipping (Otherwise every pledge would need a duplicate which costs a little more and has "plus preorder", and for internationals, shipping would need to be paid twice). The graphs drawn would then show the amount on the reprint drive, plus the amount on the preorder drive. Complexity is not so good.

And so then: If you think a second, separate drive for preorders would benefit you, the giant (print estimates) and the reprint drive (hit higher targets such as the split) post your approval here! Or perhaps criticisms.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-01-29, 09:56 AM
Why not message him?: If every 10th person thinks of something he'll spend his life in his inbox

I just want to say this sound incredibly rude. Why make him waste his time slogging through constant messages?

Palthera
2012-01-29, 10:10 AM
I just want to say this sound incredibly rude. Why make him waste his time slogging through constant messages?

That's what the OP is saying, he's not emailing this idea to the Giant because he doesn't want to make him spend days in his inbox on the same thing... whereas one thread with a lot of replies shows demand without clogging the inbox.

Also, WANT THIS! I've every book so far and I fully intend to buy the whole set. :)

Ancalagon
2012-01-29, 10:35 AM
Actually, he seems smart enough to come up with that idea on his own.

When the next book is ready, he'll soon enough announce something to his liking, wether that is a kickstarter or not is going to be his thing.

He usually also reacts very thin-skinned in regard to proposals how to do/improve/change his business, so those threads usually get locked (sometimes with a rant).

And why do you want to preorder a book now that does not yet exist? If it exists (which might even be a year or two by now!), you'll be able to get it anyway.

The last time something that was pre-ordered that did not exist it was not very much to anyone's liking. So I doubt that will happen again and if it happens, it will be very shortly before the book appears.

Yendor
2012-01-29, 12:38 PM
Ten gold says he already knows exactly how he's funding the next book.

NerfTW
2012-01-29, 01:00 PM
Any chance you can edit the thread title so it isn't so misleading? It's just going to spread misinformation.

guguma
2012-01-29, 02:16 PM
I do not understand why everyone reacts in such an aggressive manner towards this suggestion.

ClothSword makes a nice proposal, there is no need to be aggressive in your opposition, ClothSword does not imply that Mr. Burlew cannot think of good ideas to fund his work.

I think that it would be great if we could preorder the books thus we would be funding the prints before they get printed and everyone would be happy.

Amarsir
2012-01-29, 02:40 PM
This is a very smart idea and while it's likely The Giant already thought of it, if not he should appreciate the suggestion.

The Giant
2012-01-29, 03:32 PM
Any chance you can edit the thread title so it isn't so misleading? It's just going to spread misinformation.

Yeah, this.

Book 5 is not happening right now. If it was happening, it would have been the very first thing I put up as a reward. I'm not going to take money for a book for which I don't know the exact length, the price, the date of delivery, what the cover looks like, or even if it will be printed this year. I am not willing to take that much risk that things will happen between now and whatever distant date that Book 5 is ready, and I guarantee you, it is not as close to being done as you think it is.

Please, everyone has to stop trying to petition this from me, whether it's here or on Kickstarter or in my email. This is a non-starter. It is not happening right now, under any circumstances.

Thread locked before more people think that the thread title is an announcement.