shaga
2012-01-29, 12:54 PM
“To determine whether your target has cover from your
ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line
from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes
through a square or border that blocks line of effect or
provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature,
the target has cover.”

The way I understand this means that if the ‘line’ runs along the edge of an obstacle or wall, then it DOES NOT provide cover. I found this for 4 th edition as well “A line isn’t blocked if it runs along the edge of an obstacle’s or an enemy’s square” that seems to support my theory but it might be that they changed it in 4 th edition. What do you think?

I also considered that if the ‘line’ running along the edge of the wall is considered giving cover. Then two opponents in a 5 feet corridor will give each other cover (+4AC) and if you have cover you could even be hidden. So imagine a rogue hiding in a well led, unobstructed 5 feet corridor and the guard patrolling the corridor. The guard could come right in front of the rogue and just because he didn’t roll your hide check, an easy thing to do for a 1st lvl rogue vs a 1st lvl fighter guard, he wouldn’t see you…

Keneth
2012-01-29, 12:59 PM
Yes, if it runs along the edge, then it doesn't pass through a square that would obstruct it. How else could you have read it? :smallconfused:

shaga
2012-01-29, 01:39 PM
Line of sight rule (3.5) seems to imply that if the line from your square to the square of the opponent touches the walls edge, then it is effectively blocked… If LOS is blocked the cover is given… that’s how my DM interprets the rules.. but English is not our first language so I think he is wrong.

From my DM: "If 2 chars are in a 5ft corridor, then from every possible corner of your square 2 lines from that corner to the opponents corners always go through the border of the walls, blocking LoS thus giving cover"

Keneth
2012-01-29, 03:17 PM
Actually the line of sight rule says:

Two creatures can see each other if they can trace at least one clear straight line from any part of one creature's space to any part of the other creature's space. It doesn't have to be a corner, so using that as a basis is wrong to begin with. Your DM is wrong, feel free to rub it in his face. :smallwink:

shaga
2012-01-30, 10:54 AM
OIIO
OIIY
OIIO
OIIO
OTO

O= Emptt space, I = wall, T= Target, Y= You

This is how i see this example: “T” can choose at list two of his corners (he only needs to choose one) and trace it to all the corners of “Y” without going through the wall but going along the wall, when he tries to trace a line to the back corner of “Y”. So “T” can range attack “Y” without any problem but if “Y” tries to return range attacks, he will have to deal with “T”s cover because no matter what corner he chooses from his square, when he tries to connect it with all the corners of “T”, he will go through the wall.

What do you think??

Jack Zander
2012-01-30, 10:58 AM
OIIO
OIIY
OIIO
OIIO
OTO

O= Emptt space, I = wall, T= Target, Y= You

This is how i see this example: “T” can choose at list two of his corners (he only needs to choose one) and trace it to all the corners of “Y” without going through the wall but going along the wall, when he tries to trace a line to the back corner of “Y”. So “T” can range attack “Y” without any problem but if “Y” tries to return range attacks, he will have to deal with “T”s cover because no matter what corner he chooses from his square, when he tries to connect it with all the corners of “T”, he will go through the wall.

What do you think??

This is correct.

Keneth
2012-01-30, 11:02 AM
Yes, that is effectively how cover works and you will see it in every action movie and modern shooting game. You can take cover around the corner and shoot normally at a target in the hallway whereas they'll have to get all the way to the corner if they want to shoot normally at you.

shaga
2012-01-30, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. I wasn’t sure I had it right in the beginning but now I am sure. Now I just need to convince my DM.