PDA

View Full Version : Buying templates?

Flickerdart
2012-01-29, 02:06 PM
I know you can get Dark off the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. Are there any other templates that can be bought with cash? Wishing for a template doesn't count - Savage Species basically says "DM can feel free to adjudicate this however" and then moves on.

Akal Saris
2012-01-29, 02:18 PM
Unapproachable East has the Shadow-walker template (very similar to dark), which costs 2K gold for members of a thieves' guild; other pay 10K and must do a service. It's used to enter Telflammar Shadowlord.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-01-29, 03:54 PM
Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) is obtained via the spell Mineralize Warrior from that same book. It's fairly cheap for a low HD creature, but the target of the spell is obligated to serve the caster for a year.

Flickerdart
2012-01-29, 04:17 PM
You still get the LA with that, though. The idea is that you use money to bypass LA.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-01-29, 04:26 PM
There's necropolitan in the Libris Mortis. It costs you some cash and xp but is an LA 0 and you do regain your xp.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-29, 06:33 PM
I remember that existed, somewhere, a ring that allowed you to become an half-dragon once a week.
I read about it once and never found it again. Wonder if its real or I imagined it...

EDIT
@Mistyfy
Thank you! You made my day. I searched for it so long!

Urpriest
2012-01-29, 06:37 PM
It's not a template, but Mantle of the Icy Soul (pre-SpellCompendium) and its Sandstorm-based Fire brother (which wasn't changed, that's WotC for you) give subtypes with no LA attached.

Mystify
2012-01-29, 07:01 PM
I remember that existed, somewhere, a ring that allowed you to become an half-dragon once a week.
I read about it once and never found it again. Wonder if its real or I imagined it...
Ring of the white wyrm. Its in frostburn. You get icewalking at will(spiderclimb on ice), freezing fog 2/day, wall of ice 1/day.
The main feature is to turn into a half white dragon 1 hour/day.
It then specifically states that rings keyed to other dragons can exist.