PDA

View Full Version : Booze

Traab
2012-01-29, 09:42 PM
Im an equal opportunity drinker. I like anything that makes me drunk. I dont mind getting mixed drinks at the bar, but when im home id rather just take straight shots. What can you guys recommend that will get me hammered with minimal effort, and not make me practice my poker face when I taste it? Out of curiosity I tried some flavored vodka. Citrus, if it matters. It SMELLED like citrus, but didnt taste anything like it at all. Mixed with some hard lemonade it wasnt bad, but id rather avoid mixes if i can. What do the drinkers in the playground recommend for tasty straight alcohol that will get me plastered? By the way, im typing this after finishing off the last 8 shots of the crappy vodka. Marvel at my coherency, even as I fail to see my keyboard clearly. Keep in mind my tolerance is way high. I could walk a straight line and speak clearly right now. My vision is just a little swimmy.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-29, 09:57 PM
I still hold by the fact that GOOD vodka is really good.
Skyy vodka is very smooth, and very inexpensive for it's taste.
Other than that, spiced rum? I've heard really good things about Kraken rum, but I've never had it.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-29, 10:05 PM
My favorite booze recipe: 1 part vodka, 2 parts cranberry juice, 2 parts peach schnapps, 3 parts ginger-ale. This punch is delicious, and because of that can get you drunker than 4:00.
Standard warnings about alcohol apply.

Accompanying drinking game: **** it, drink til yer done.

OH, and Nocello. It's a black walnut liqueur for sipping. It's quite tasty, though it's probably a bit rich to get drunk on by itself.

Goosefeather
2012-01-29, 10:05 PM
Whiskeeeey (but not JD. Never again)

You can get very nice vodkas, though the only time I've actually really enjoyed a non-flavoured vodka was in Poland, and I can't remember what it was called.

Being a student, I don't really have the money to experiment with nice things, so when I do shots I'm usually forced to drink tequila/Jägermeister if I don't want to claw my face off because of cheap vodka. Sambuca is the work of the devil, but absinthe is fun.

You could always make a shot or two of mini-Long Island Iced Teas (iced tea optional) and try to ignore the flavour, then drink something a bit nicer while they kick in.

Meh, I'm far too indiscriminate a drinker to give advice relating to actual quality of drinks! :smalltongue:

Edit: +1 to spiced rum. For future reference, if you have the preparation time, skittles vodka (http://mixthatdrink.com/skittles-vodka-tutorial/) is sweet and delicious, and deceptively yet dreadfully strong. Jelly shots are their weaker cousin.

RabbitHoleLost
2012-01-29, 10:07 PM
For something just straight that tastes good, I drink Midori.

Others may say its really girly, but its melon, it tastes like melon, and...well, I don't know if it will get YOU plastered very quickly, but it certainly does so for me.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-01-29, 10:19 PM
That Skittles Vodka is the first thing I'm drinking when I turn 21.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-01-29, 10:25 PM
That Skittles Vodka is the first thing I'm drinking when I turn 21.

A good friend assures me it's to die for.

The Unborne
2012-01-29, 10:43 PM
Vodka infusions were amazing in Eastern Europe. They tasted just like blueberry, mint, honey, what-have-you.

Other than that. Crown Royal is a staple in the family.

arguskos
2012-01-29, 10:46 PM
A good friend assures me it's to die for.
Turns out, that friend is lying. It's terrible. I wish it were otherwise, but it's really not worth the money.

Now, good vodkas can definitely be had. I like me some Tedoz, personally. Highly recommended. Bit of a burn, but damn if it isn't fine.

Traab
2012-01-29, 10:56 PM
Yeah, maybe its the fact that I was drinking smirnoff which is midrange in my neck of the woods, but good god damn does grey goose cost alot. Maybe ill try sky instead. Ill look for that midori, what type of alcohol is it so I dont feel like a total moron when i go to the booze supermarkets? Ill give crown royal a shot. Im kinda burnt on tequilla though, I overdid it one night. 24 shots and now I cant even look at the stuff without feeling ill. Im not a big fan of jaeger, though Goldschläger is pretty tasty. Not sure if I could handle getting drunk off it though, the cinnamon is pretty strong. I just got done scanning the vodka section of my store, didnt see any skittles vodka, so no clue on that.

Joe the Rat
2012-01-29, 11:44 PM
Midori is a melon liqueur, so it should be with the other fruity cordials. The whole class has less punch than vodka, but is a lot less... astringent. Another one to look for is Chambourd - it's a black raspberry liqueur. It's a good mixer for when you want one, but is very tasty on its own, if a bit sweet. You could pour it on your pancakes.

Crown Royal should be a staple. Ridiculously smooth, and every bottle comes with a dice bag!

The Extinguisher
2012-01-29, 11:47 PM
Spiced Rum is my favourite way to go. Your mileage my vary on how strong you can handle it before it tastes like garbage, but I'm a big fan of 100-proof straight. 151 proof just makes me dizzy.

Xyk
2012-01-30, 12:03 AM
I like straight vodka, personally. Grape flavored can be good, but can taste pretty cheap. I think as far as straight liquor goes, vodka is going to be the least pungent option. I also don't have a ton of experience.

Also, I think this is pretty much a matter of personal taste.

Weezer
2012-01-30, 12:48 AM
For straight liquor I go the whiskey route pretty much exclisively. When I want cheaper stuff for the prime purpose of getting drunk, I generally drink Jameson (yeah, I know, it's not exactly cheap liquor, but I prefer to enjoy my alcohol, thank-you-very-much). When I want to just sit back and sip on a glass or two, scotch is the only thing for me. I tend to buy Glenfiddich, either 12 or 15, I really like the 15, it's excellent.

When I'm not in the mood for liquor, I either drink good beer, porters, stouts and double IPAs are my usual fare, or red wine, I like a good, robust Italian wine.

The Extinguisher
2012-01-30, 12:58 AM
Honestly, If I'm looking to get drunk cheap and quick I don't care what I'm drinking. And actually fruity coolers seem to do it the fastest for me. I think it must be all the sugar. I can drink 4 little weak things, get trashed and wake up the next morning feeling like a downed a forty of tequila in half and hour.

TheThan
2012-01-30, 01:26 AM
I'm interested in trying Cider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider) sure its got a low alcohol content but its old timey, and I like old timey things.

Feytalist
2012-01-30, 01:31 AM
I've acquired a taste for good whiskey. It's something you can sit and drink all night long, without getting over the taste.

Other than that, a good microbrew is a godly thing. A guy near me makes a pretty good ale, which I'm partial to. Good quality tequila, served ice cold, is something for once in a blue moon.

I'm not a huge fan of flavoured drinks or infusions.

Of course, I live in a part of the country known for its red wines, brandy and port, so I guess it goes without saying that I enjoy those too. Red wine in particular, we usually have a glass or two each night with dinner. But I'm a bit of a wine snob, I guess; a bad red wine is bad, but a good red wine is exquisite.

Kneenibble
2012-01-30, 02:46 AM
When I need to get destroyed I turn to gin. It makes me feel like a washed-up Victorian hooker, which is what a man needs sometimes. You will notice a theme of GOOD among most recommendations; besides the fact that quality liquor is an aesthetically superior experience, it won't rot your guts come morning nearly so hard.

There are three particularly delicious gins I can recommend, but I can only remember the name of one of them right now. i.e. Darnley's View.

Other than that, spiced rum? I've heard really good things about Kraken rum, but I've never had it.

Kraken is delicious, and hot as Satan's hoof; but it's as deadly as its namesake. It will draw you down into its blind depths and fill your body with tentacles.

stevenboats
2012-01-30, 02:52 AM
Rum drowned in ice, you can't go wrong. As for vodka does anyone else like Stolichnaya? That's my favorite vodka and it's quite cheap although I'm pretty sure it's not made in Russia anymore so the taste might have changed.

Kneenibble
2012-01-30, 03:01 AM
Rum drowned in ice, you can't go wrong. As for vodka does anyone else like Stolichnaya? That's my favorite vodka and it's quite cheap although I'm pretty sure it's not made in Russia anymore so the taste might have changed.

I'm pretty sure Russian Prince is the only vodka worth drinking.tee hee hee.

The Extinguisher
2012-01-30, 03:19 AM
Kraken is delicious, and hot as Satan's hoof; but it's as deadly as its namesake. It will draw you down into its blind depths and fill your body with tentacles.

I love this stuff. But you're description is completely accurate.

Rakmakallan
2012-01-30, 03:48 AM
While I'm straight-edge and never ever drink, I have one suggestion from back in the day: Absinthe.
There are also better drinks that will get you hammered but depending on your locale they might be difficult to obtain, such as tsipouro, raki or zivania (essentially greek and cyprus variations of the same recipe).

KenderWizard
2012-01-30, 03:48 AM
I'm going to play the role of the mammy here and point out that drinking to get drunk is generally a fairly bad decision. Not that I haven't been there! And not that I'm against alcohol (straight Irish whiskey, usually Jameson, is my choice)! But, y'know, if you're drinking all the time, or not able to have a good time without getting totally sloshed, or starting to drink way early, or drinking alone a lot, or just regularly exceeding 21 units of alcohol a week, it's time to think about drinking less or having a chat with a non-judgmental doctor to be sure. (Moderate drinkers are the healthiest people! :smallsmile:)

stevenboats
2012-01-30, 05:04 AM
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. -Dorothy Parker

Stadge
2012-01-30, 05:16 AM
A drink that will get you plastered you say?
Have you tried Poitín? Its once-outlawed Irish moonshine that two companies can legally make. If you try it, get the Knockeen Hills 90% ABV/ 180% proof. Sure, at first instance it does smell and taste a little like paintstripper, but if you let it linger for a moment it does have a surprisingly nice flavour.

Otherwise I'd always go for a nice single malt Scotch Whisky. Balvenie Doublewood is a favourite of mine.
Gin is also a good go to drink I find, though I tend to prefer it with tonic or bitter lemon.
Oh and brandy! I'm afraid I can't really remember a brandy to suggest, as teh only one I can remember is Henessey XO, and If i recall rightly, that's on the very expensive side of things.

Someone mentioned cider earlier, I tend to find that whilst you can get some good stuff in the shops, generally the pricier stuff, but that stands to reason, your best bet is heading to a farm if you can. This way you generally get still cider, which to me is far superior to the fizzing stuff, the alcohol volume is generally a little bit of an unknown factor til you drink it, and lastly it goes down like your drinking apple juice so your often taken unawares of how much you've had until it hits you.

I'll touch on liquers briefly. Cream based there's obviously Bailey's, heavenly though it can be a bit sweet to drink lots of. I've got friends who have it with milk and this seems to make it easier to drink more of it.
Since visiting South Africa and trying it there, I've taken to drinking Amarula back home as it makes a nice alternative to Bailey's.

Non-cream liquers quickly;my first choice would probably be a nice Amaretto. I know its not particularly strong but that almond/marzipan taste and flavour are divine. Frangellico is supposed to be nice if you're a nut fan, so its not my thing and I've got a friend who absolutely adores Limoncello in all its lemony goodness.

And I know this is drfting a bit, but I'll end with two in the 'wine' category. Port is lovely! I don't really have much to say there except that a good port is full of flavour, and generally being a fortified wine is pretty strong.
And then there's mead. Nectar of the gods. Seriously slightly fortified honey wine, what could go wrong. And from personal experience, if you drink it from a horn, not only are you drinking around a pint in every vessel, but because you can't put it down, you tend to drink it quickly.

Looking back, that's quite a ramble, so I'll shut up now.

Dallas-Dakota
2012-01-30, 05:32 AM
Absinthe. Real absinthe, made with Wormwood, and is either from France or Eastern Europe.

I'm pretty sure Russian Prince is the only vodka worth drinking.tee hee hee.
100.000 Scovilles Naga Chili Vodka.:smallamused:

stevenboats
2012-01-30, 05:35 AM
They put naga chillies in vodka...christ.

Octopus Jack
2012-01-30, 05:43 AM
I second real absinthe, some of the stuff I had in Prague was possibly the best drink I've had. Also I am very partial to Whiskey of any sort and it is probably what I drink most.

For less strong drinks I prefer any decent ales and local ciders are always good.

Deth Muncher
2012-01-30, 05:52 AM
Step one: Take a bottle of Everclear.
Step two: Take a large vat of fruit juices of assorted flavors.
Step three: Combine, and stir well.
Step four: ????
Step five: Drunk!

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-30, 06:01 AM
Coffee vodka. Drop of chocolate syrup. Shot after shot after shot.

Dallas-Dakota
2012-01-30, 06:05 AM
I second real absinthe, some of the stuff I had in Prague was possibly the best drink I've had. Also I am very partial to Whiskey of any sort and it is probably what I drink most.

For less strong drinks I prefer any decent ales and local ciders are always good.

There are a good amount of good whisky's, but I drink to enjoy and am partial to whisky's myself, so that's why I don't recommend them. Drinking good whisky when drunk is just a waste.

If you really want to get drunk, just drink Pisang Ambong (A very sweet liqueur), proper shots of Tequila, beer, more Pisang Ambong, vodka(Put it in the freezer a couple of hours, so that it's extremely cold but not frozen), some more beer and then Pisang Ambong.Worked for me. :smalltongue::smalleek:

Caesar
2012-01-30, 06:13 AM
Buy good vodka. Put in shaker with ice. Add vermouth if you want, and shake like hell until your hands freeze. Pour. Enjoy your smooth, smooth martini that will go straight to your brain.

Mauve Shirt
2012-01-30, 06:25 AM
Buy good vodka. Put in shaker with ice. Add vermouth if you want, and shake like hell until your hands freeze. Pour. Enjoy your smooth, smooth martini that will go straight to your brain.

If you're like my father, add 3 olives.

H Birchgrove
2012-01-30, 08:11 AM
Drink Absolut Vodka or Explorer; I need the money.

polity4life
2012-01-30, 08:19 AM
If you want vodka, look no further than Valentine Vodka (http://www.valentinevodka.com/home.html). This is the best stuff on the market and I frankly don't care what anyone else has to say on the matter. I've tried all forms of domestically available vodka and some Polish stuff a few years back. Although the Polish vodka was very good, Valentine's is like drinking water.

If you can find this stuff, get it. It's made in Michigan by a smaller distiller so I'm not sure about how their distribution. It's about the same price as Belvedere or Grey Goose but honestly superior.

No, I don't have any stake in this company. This stuff is just the best, objectively speaking.

Of course, I always go for scotch when I'm not imbibing the local flavors. I used to be a pretentious beer snob but beer just doesn't agree with me anymore, which makes me wonder if I broke something.

noparlpf
2012-01-30, 08:41 AM
There's some kind of American vodka that's very sweet. Aside from that ciders are easy to drink because they're low in alcohol and taste like juice. And the wine I had last Passover was good.
But I don't really drink because 1. I'm underage and 2. I don't enjoy being drunk.

Gravitron5000
2012-01-30, 09:55 AM
I quite enjoy guaro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaro_%28drink%29). I've only tried Cacique Guaro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacique_Guaro), so I might just like that brand of guaro. It's like vodka, but sweeter, and it goes down quite smooth.

Traab
2012-01-30, 09:58 AM
I like straight vodka, personally. Grape flavored can be good, but can taste pretty cheap. I think as far as straight liquor goes, vodka is going to be the least pungent option. I also don't have a ton of experience.

Also, I think this is pretty much a matter of personal taste.

Yeah i know, im just trying to get a nice list of booze to try out. I figure with enough people giving me their list of personal favorites, ill find the right one for me.

And Kender, its always a good idea to throw that kind of statement out there, but if i drink more than once or twice a month its unusual in the extreme. I just like to have the booze i want on hand for when I do feel the urge to enjoy that swimmy head feeling and test my fps skills with 6-8 shots in me. Going to a bar is expensive as hell, and complicated unless you bring a friend who doesnt mind not drinking at all. I can buy a bottle for the cost of a couple shots at a bar, (varies on booze quality of course) and drink in the safety and privacy of my own, (or my friends) home. No driving, no bar brawls, no risk of picking up skanky last call girls when im too drunk to remember thats a bad idea. Just good times, with a decibel level below jet engine of crappy music.

Tyndmyr
2012-01-30, 10:00 AM

I'm sorry, but Skyy vodka is terrible.

Kraken's pretty solid, however, if you like spiced rum. In vodkas, Luksusowa is pretty awesome for the price, and I use that as a mixing vodka. Russian standard is a good shooting vodka, but isn't so expensive that using it as a mixer is a terrible idea. Additionally, I enjoy Pink vodka...it's occasionally hard to find though, and a bit more expensive.

Honestly, I rarely do shots anymore...get good at mixing tasty drinks, and it's much more enjoyable to sample mixed drinks. I highly recommend getting coconut and pineapple rum, but I usually avoid flavored vodkas, relying on the mixers for flavor instead. Effin black cherry is pretty good(and an exception to my usual rule), but realize that if you use it with a cherry mixer, the cherry can be a bit overpowering.

Moff Chumley
2012-01-30, 10:21 AM
My theory for getting sloshed is pretty simple: pour yourself a glass of whatever vile drain-cleaner you're abusing at the moment, over ice, watered down, mixed, chased, whatever you have to do to make it tolerable. Drink all of it. Then, wait about ten minutes, and you should be able to palate pretty much anything.

Speaking of which, Everclear 190 is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Shame it's illegal in California. :smallfrown:

And the wine I had last Passover was good.

Manischewitz is top-tier. :smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2012-01-30, 12:24 PM
Grey Goose vodka is very very very nice. Cold as you can get it, it's actually refreshing to me.

Peppermint Schnapps + Cola is incredible. It's like drinking the best candy cane you ever had, but with a bit of the cola flavor to take the edge off.

3 measures of gordons, 1 measure vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Since you can't get Kina Lillet anymore, pick a pear wine of your choice. Twist of lemon.
Extremely good martini. If you need more lemon in it, use some fresh lemon juice or a lemon liquor.

Acai Berry wine and liquor are both very very good, having tried both just last night. I find serving either one in a shot glass with a single ice cube makes it into an excellent sipper. And trust me, you want this stuff cold.

Mead is a tricky one. Not a lot of liquor stores carry it, and what they do carry tends to be hit and miss. It's made from Honey, it's easy to sip, it's easy to chug. I highly recommend it hot, but cold is awesome as well. Room temp and it either tastes like flat pop or it tastes kind of ... off. So stick with hot or cold.

Hot Mead with a cinnamon stick and the tiniest splash of lemon juice is amazingly good on a cold winters day. If you're going to heat up mead, I recommend either a ceramic tea pot in the microwave, or in a pot on the stove. If you are going to use a pot on the stove, a tiny tiny pinch of nutmeg or a few cloves tend to round out the flavor incredibly. Never microwave it in just a cup, it seems to get crazy hot that way.

Beer. There is one beer I universally recommend that everyone try. Innis and Gunn. It's beer that is aged slighly in old scotch/whiskey casks. Yes, they properly clean the casks out first, this isn't screech we're talking about.
Anyway, the oak from the casks gives the beer some excellent body, and aging in the casks also adds a kind of peatiness to it, much like a good scotch. It's a 4.5% alcohol content, it's not mellow, but it's not overpowering. I know ladies who enjoy light beers who greatly enjoy this stuff.

EDIT: Spiritus and Everclear. I have a friend who drinks that stuff to excess. He claims to enjoy the taste.
If he's trying to get drunk, a whole bottle or two tends to disappear.
Mind you, this fellow also started his own Drinking Team known as Team Spiritus.

KenderWizard
2012-01-30, 01:00 PM
And Kender, its always a good idea to throw that kind of statement out there, but if i drink more than once or twice a month its unusual in the extreme. I just like to have the booze i want on hand for when I do feel the urge to enjoy that swimmy head feeling and test my fps skills with 6-8 shots in me. Going to a bar is expensive as hell, and complicated unless you bring a friend who doesnt mind not drinking at all. I can buy a bottle for the cost of a couple shots at a bar, (varies on booze quality of course) and drink in the safety and privacy of my own, (or my friends) home. No driving, no bar brawls, no risk of picking up skanky last call girls when im too drunk to remember thats a bad idea. Just good times, with a decibel level below jet engine of crappy music.

That's cool! As the saying goes; better safe than encouraging someone's slow descent into crippling alcoholism! :smallwink:

Karoht
2012-01-30, 01:06 PM
I should point out that the drinking team my friends are on promote responsible drinking. They recommend support options to everyone, they set up DD systems for all of their outings, etc. They also arbitrate drinking contests, as an attempt to bring some level of safety to the activity.

Traab
2012-01-30, 02:48 PM
I should point out that the drinking team my friends are on promote responsible drinking. They recommend support options to everyone, they set up DD systems for all of their outings, etc. They also arbitrate drinking contests, as an attempt to bring some level of safety to the activity.

Screw that, stick to the drinking game from that chick in raiders of the lost ark. THATS a drinking game! First person to down 20 shots and not puke/die wins!

Brother Oni
2012-01-30, 03:02 PM
Industrial Ethanol (http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?catalogId=-1&productId=10476297&distype=0&fromSearch=&storeId=10652&langId=-1)? :smalltongue:

thorgrim29
2012-01-30, 03:05 PM
I'm partial to liquid cocaine shots myself (half jager half cinnamon schnapps), but really I'll drink almost anything in shot form (as long as there's no tabasco in it and I don't exceed 1 tequila shot per evening out). For mixed drinks I love me a Long Island (well, my version of it anyway, I have it with sprite/7up rather then coke) or a Southern Comfort 7up.

polity4life
2012-01-30, 03:25 PM
My friends and I made a drinking game to the show "Yan Can Cook", featuring Martin Yan. I'll explain the game.

This is a cooking show where half of the show is dedicated to two locations in China where he briefly describes the food and culture of that town, city, or region. One of these segments always precedes a segment in a studio kitchen where he prepares and cooks a dish from that area. So the flow of the show is location, kitchen, location, then kitchen.

A few things:

1) He almost always wears the same outfit in his on-location segments in China, which is a red button-up dress shirt and black slacks. A drink is allocated if he's wearing this outfit.
2) When on-location, he likes to grab things from local vendors to describe them, show off fine workmanship, or simply to expose the regional culture. We argued that since he never puts these items back, he is in fact stealing. A drink is allocated for every incident of larceny.
3) He likes to repeat things, a lot. Sometimes he gets so excited that he will say something like, "Look at these chilies! Look at these chilies! Look at these chilies!" We only drank if he said something at least three times in a row. Once a series has completed, we count out how many times he said the same thing in a row and allocate a drink for each instance. For example, if he says something two times in a row, no drinks are required, but if he says something five times in a row, five drinks are required.
4) He has three distinct catch phrases: "Look at this", "Like this", and "It's beautiful". He loves to say these repeatedly as well. Each stand-alone phrase uttered is a drink. If he does it more than three times in a row, the running count is taken and multiplied by two. So if he says, "Like this" six times, that's twelve drinks.

The episodes are only a half-hour long. Three grown men went through a case of beer. One was left marching in place for reasons beyond me, the other had to visit the restroom, and the third (me) fell asleep.

I don't advise anyone to play this game, ever. It's pretty unhealthy and can become dangerous quickly. We tried it twice and swore off it.

Tono
2012-01-30, 03:36 PM
Personally, I like different beers. And I have to drink cheap, so for a night with some friends I just stop and grab a few fourties. Colt 45 being my favorite. Micky's if your buying in 24 oz.
Woodchucks are reeealy smooth as well. Goes down easy and taste good.
With 'drinks' though, Jack is my calm drink. Tito's Vodka I love doing shots of. red Label Schminoff isn't high class or expensive, but it works. But I'll drink anything in shots as long as it isn't Gin or Scotch. Really, unless you're looking for a high %, anything as long as you like it can get your head spinny if you take it in a short enough time.

Kneenibble
2012-01-30, 03:37 PM
That "Yan Can Cook" game is just too funny for words.

Do you watch re-runs, or is he actually still doing the show? It's been around for ages if so.

Aedilred
2012-01-30, 07:19 PM
I used to like absinthe, until I drank too much of it one evening and now can't face the thought of ever eating or drinking anything aniseed-flavoured again. I'd recommend it, though, if you're just looking for something to knock you over, and it's surprisingly bearable in terms of flavour considering it tops 65% at minimum (130 proof). You can turn it into a long drink with water and sugar which is still about as strong as a fortified wine.

Single malt whisky is obviously pretty much the king, but it's a shame to waste it with mindless chugging. The same goes for a quality Armagnac.

Long island ice teas are fun - they're surprisingly inoffensive taste-wise and pack a mean punch. Again, I can't drink them (or any of their ingredients combined) after an unfortunate incident in Nanjing (spot the pattern). There are a number of other cocktails with similar effects but none quite so potent.

Russian Standard Platinum vodka is really good, and after many years of getting my sister to bring me back tiny bottles of it hidden in her luggage, it's now widely available in the UK (I don't know about the USA).

A good Plymouth gin and tonic (with obligatory ice and lemon) is a work of wonder, too.

If you can find a proper scrumpy cider they can be deceptive. They look and taste and drink like beer, but they're 2-3 times the strength and you'll be left on the floor in no time.

I should mention that I never drink any more for the purpose of getting properly drunk - which doesn't mean I never get properly drunk, but I'm always annoyed with myself or whoever was responsible when I do. The above is based on past experience either personal or observational.

If you're just looking to get drunk for whatever reason and don't care about the social niceties, the best way to go about it is to drink quickly, and on an empty stomach (or at least a carb-free stomach). It's not usually much fun, though.

TheThan
2012-01-30, 07:42 PM
Screw that, stick to the drinking game from that chick in raiders of the lost ark. THATS a drinking game! First person to down 20 shots and not puke/die wins!
I thought they were just trying to drink each other under the table. Either way, it’s still quite manly.
Honestly I’m not much for booze, but I love Guinness on tap.

Traab
2012-01-30, 08:46 PM
I thought they were just trying to drink each other under the table. Either way, it’s still quite manly.
Honestly I’m not much for booze, but I love Guinness on tap.

They were, but it was in order to win a lot of cash. So therefore its a drinking game. And really, thats the way all good games should work. Both sides get drunk and have a good time, but the winner gets something extra... LIKE CASH! Meh, bragging rights are cool too though. :smallbiggrin:

Sturmcrow
2012-01-30, 09:06 PM
Rum

You are always more drunk than you think you are btw

Traab
2012-01-30, 09:31 PM
Hmph, I proved my sobriety by driving in between houses like a giant slalom event. I only clipped one building! But it shouldnt count as I was midair at the time. Its hard to steer while your wheels are all off the ground, you know?

TheThan
2012-01-30, 11:04 PM
They were, but it was in order to win a lot of cash. So therefore its a drinking game. And really, thats the way all good games should work. Both sides get drunk and have a good time, but the winner gets something extra... LIKE CASH! Meh, bragging rights are cool too though. :smallbiggrin:

that's what I mean, the last one standing wins the pot. Course by then you'd probably be too hammered to count out your cash right. HMM maybe you'd need a designated cash collector in that game (DCC?), to makes sure nobody's ripping you off.

Balain
2012-01-30, 11:09 PM
My drinks of choice, Crown Royal with Coke, Crown Royal with ginger ale, Single malt scotch on the rocks. I drink lots of other things but if I can I get one of those.

Vacant
2012-01-30, 11:40 PM
There's some surprisingly good bourbon at a cheap price tag, but bourbon comes down pretty heavily to an individual's taste, so just try 375s of some of the cheap stuff and see what you like. Personally, I'm partial to Evan Williams green label. Scotch is almost never cheap, but some brands are pretty reasonable and still delicious. Either of the above you can drink straight or mix with relatively simple mixers (cold water, soda water, ginger beer, simple syrup) with great results. I love Tequila, but it's so wildly YMMV that I don't feel I should really recommend it.

If you're willing to spend a little more, Green Chartreuse and brandy are your best bets to go down smooth and leave you crunk.

noparlpf
2012-01-31, 12:36 PM
Industrial Ethanol (http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/itemdetail?catalogId=-1&productId=10476297&distype=0&fromSearch=&storeId=10652&langId=-1)? :smalltongue:

Not for me, thanks. 200 proof is a bit high.

Brother Oni
2012-01-31, 12:50 PM
Not for me, thanks. 200 proof is a bit high.

That's what mixers are for. :smalltongue:

Traab
2012-01-31, 12:57 PM
That's what mixers are for. :smalltongue:

Yep, industrial ethanol, mixed with absinthe. Smooth. In an eye blinding, horribly pain filled way.

Keld Denar
2012-01-31, 01:20 PM
I dunno where you live, or what you have access to, but the best vodka I've ever tasted was actually Kirkland brand. That's right, CostCo wholesale vodka. A handle of it is like, $20, and its 5x filtered, unlike Grey Goose, which is only 3x filtered. Myth Busters pretty much proved that it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between expensive vodka and cheap vodka that has been extra filtered. There are probably a few other factors involved, but like I said, it is definately the smoothest vodka I've ever tasted.

polity4life
2012-01-31, 03:32 PM
That "Yan Can Cook" game is just too funny for words.

Do you watch re-runs, or is he actually still doing the show? It's been around for ages if so.

We played it while it was running on PBS. One of my friends, and co-founder of the game, bought a DVD set of his that is only the bits while he's in China. We gave one episode of that a go and I can tell you that a mere four years really makes a difference in terms of alcohol tolerance.

Anyway, we called the game Yan Can Drink with this newer version without the kitchen bits Yan Can Drink Lite.

Oindoth
2012-01-31, 03:47 PM
If you ask me, and you clearly are, there's nothing that tastes better, and feels classier, than a good, smokey Scotch Whiskey. Unfortunately, those're generally the really expensive ones, and therefore not worth drinking after you're already drunk.

Karoht
2012-01-31, 03:48 PM
If you ask me, and you clearly are, there's nothing that tastes better, and feels classier, than a good, smokey Scotch Whiskey. Unfortunately, those're generally the really expensive ones, and therefore not worth drinking after you're already drunk.
Yeah, but as far as ramp ups go, you could do much worse than a good Scotch that is worth drinking while sober.

SweetLikeLemons
2012-01-31, 08:02 PM
I dunno where you live, or what you have access to, but the best vodka I've ever tasted was actually Kirkland brand. That's right, CostCo wholesale vodka. A handle of it is like, $20, and its 5x filtered, unlike Grey Goose, which is only 3x filtered. Myth Busters pretty much proved that it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between expensive vodka and cheap vodka that has been extra filtered. There are probably a few other factors involved, but like I said, it is definately the smoothest vodka I've ever tasted.

I thought the vodka expert on that show could tell instantly which was the actual top shelf vodka (although I think he did put the rest pretty much in order of how many times they'd been filtered). The lesson I took away was that filtering will not make cheap vodka into good vodka, but it will make it better than it was.

Traab
2012-01-31, 10:09 PM
I thought the vodka expert on that show could tell instantly which was the actual top shelf vodka (although I think he did put the rest pretty much in order of how many times they'd been filtered). The lesson I took away was that filtering will not make cheap vodka into good vodka, but it will make it better than it was.

Yeah he was able to place them all perfectly from bottom of the barrel, to top shelf, to every level of filtration. While that means it DOESNT hit top shelf, refiltering vodka does improve it. So the more often its filtered, the better it will likely taste. Though you have to be an expert to be able to reliably notice the difference, as the mythbusters in general screwed up trying to label it all. I think jamie did fairly well, but he transposed a few here and there. The bottom line for the myth was, its really not worth it to buy all those filters to try and ramp up your rot gut to top shelf.

thubby
2012-01-31, 11:14 PM
short of injecting it into your blood, nothing will get you drunk faster than grain alcohol.

it'll also disinfect, start on fire (seriously, take it when you camp, SO USEFUL), and strip paint, but that's besides the point

Moff Chumley
2012-02-01, 02:02 AM
It's handy stuff, to be sure. I have a friend who carried around a flask of the stuff at all times, great fun at parties.

RabbitHoleLost
2012-02-01, 02:08 AM
Moff.
You know exactly what I'm going to say about you being in this thread.
Exactly

Moff Chumley
2012-02-01, 02:32 AM
GEEZE, MOM, ALL THE COOL PLAYGROUNDERS WERE POSTING HERE

:u

Raistlin1040
2012-02-01, 02:32 AM
YOU'RE NOT HIS MOM!
Jeez.

STsinderman
2012-02-01, 07:29 AM
If you enjoy your beer i can highly recommend giving tequila beers a try. My personal two favourites are Desperado's and Amigos. With a slightly sweetened ale taste to them with the light refreshing nature of a lager they are by far the best type of beer to drink for fast results (not that im into drinking to get drunk).

Conversely for those wishing to have a sustained drinking session without feeling like crap the next morning i highly recommend the White Russian (also the drink of the dude!). While containing vodka and tia maria to get you drunk it is also topped with milk to soften the blow of the next morning.

Though i have to leave with the conclusion that real men drink Guinness!

noparlpf
2012-02-01, 07:34 AM
Speaking of the next morning, the few times I've been drunk I've only had a hangover once. That was from four glasses of red wine, and the hangover came only two or three hours later, before I went to bed. Last time I drank I had five shots of vodka and didn't have any kind of hangover. Is that normal?

STsinderman
2012-02-01, 07:37 AM
Speaking of the next morning, the few times I've been drunk I've only had a hangover once. That was from four glasses of red wine, and the hangover came only two or three hours later, before I went to bed. Last time I drank I had five shots of vodka and didn't have any kind of hangover. Is that normal?

It is dependant on a few factors including age, metabolic rate and previous experience with alcohol.

noparlpf
2012-02-01, 07:46 AM
It is dependant on a few factors including age, metabolic rate and previous experience with alcohol.

I'm nearly eighteen. I've only drunk alcoholic things a couple of times. As for metabolism, I tend to put on muscle easily, but I also lose it fairly quickly when I've inactive. I don't eat all that much compared to how I ate during high school. When I am inactive for long periods I tend to put on a kilo or so of fat, but when I exercise regularly I lose that quickly and then end up four or five kilos heavier; and that's just from minimal exercise like running and climbing a few times a week. I'm also on an SSRI.

Brother Oni
2012-02-01, 07:50 AM
short of injecting it into your blood, nothing will get you drunk faster than grain alcohol.

Heating it then inhaling the vapour is almost as quick as injecting it but substantially safer.

It also depends on what the alcohol was contained in. Red wine has a whole bunch of stuff that when metabolised, all contribute to the hangover.

Vodka on the other hand is a much purer spirit, so can be better for getting drunk but avoiding the hangover.

H Birchgrove
2012-02-01, 09:14 AM

Due to product restrictions, we cannot sell this product online.
:smallbiggrin:

Traab
2012-02-01, 09:22 AM
I never get hangovers. But thats because I always drink a couple glasses of water before I pass out. The hangover is generally caused by dehydration.

STsinderman
2012-02-01, 09:58 AM
It also depends on what the alcohol was contained in. Red wine has a whole bunch of stuff that when metabolised, all contribute to the hangover.

Vodka on the other hand is a much purer spirit, so can be better for getting drunk but avoiding the hangover.

Its not really red wine on the whole that has these things in it. It is the preservatives crap added that can often be worse for you than the alcohol in the wine, as how the vodka needs fewer preservatives dues to the high proof.

Karoht
2012-02-01, 10:41 AM

My mom works for Costco.
The Kirkland Brand (costco's no name brand that for some reason has a name) Vodka is basically second tier quality from the supplier.
To explain what that means, quality control is placed in tiers. First Tier is the stuff they sell us. Second Tier is the stuff that is within a few % of First Tier Quality. So if First Tier is 100% Quality, Second Tier is usually 97% quality of better.
Second Tier quality usually gets thrown away, or in the case of the no name brands, sold as off-label product.
Now I've heard some rumors regarding who the supplier is, but if it works like other no name brands, then it is likely a blend of Second Tier stuff from a few suppliers. It would stand to reason that before/after/during the blending process there would likely be a filtration process as well, for safety and quality assurance purposes.
The other rumor I've heard, is that Grey Goose supplies the Kirkland product. After sampling the Kirkland stuff, I would honestly believe that, based on texture. But I'm no expert.

Traab
2012-02-01, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, my local costco doesnt sell booze. Although the idea of kirkland brand vodka brought to mind the amusing mental picture of them rolling out a 50 gallon drum of the stuff, considering how most of their merchandise is packaged. :smallbiggrin: Ever do keg stand with vodka? Buy Kirkland vodka and give it a try!

Kneenibble
2012-02-01, 10:50 AM
Its not really red wine on the whole that has these things in it. It is the preservatives crap added that can often be worse for you than the alcohol in the wine, as how the vodka needs fewer preservatives dues to the high proof.

The preservatives crap added to wine is almost always sulphite, which occur naturally in the wine anyways. I understand cheap wine sometimes has sugar too which need not be mentioned on the label. Brother Oni, however, is right: certain substances that get pressed out of the grape skins, in particular, can be conducive to headaches and hangovers. - in addition to the booziness more generally. The preservatives have naught to do with it.

Preservative prejudice is real.

Karoht
2012-02-01, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, my local costco doesnt sell booze. Although the idea of kirkland brand vodka brought to mind the amusing mental picture of them rolling out a 50 gallon drum of the stuff, considering how most of their merchandise is packaged. :smallbiggrin: Ever do keg stand with vodka? Buy Kirkland vodka and give it a try!Costco is only now rolling out their liquor stores, and slowly, and quietly. Liquor licensing the way it is, they have to keep it quiet due to various laws regarding competition and whatnot.

Despite them building a building, and it saying Costco out front, next to and not attached to the Costco, and despite there being liquor trucks parked out front every morning, the staff were not allowed to confirm or deny that they were in fact building a Costco liquor store. For reals.

H Birchgrove
2012-02-01, 11:08 AM
Speaking of vodka and different qualities of it:

Why James Bond prefers his Vodka Martini "Shaken, not stirred". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaken,_not_stirred)

Through multiple letters in New Scientist's Last Word section (June 5–11, 2010), the mystery has been solved.[16] When Ian Fleming was writing, most vodka was produced from potatoes and potato vodka has an oily aftertaste. Today's grain vodka has no oily aftertaste. Experimenters found that potato vodka shaken with ice tasted less oily than did potato vodka stirred with ice.

The Vesper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesper_%28cocktail%29)

Karoht
2012-02-01, 11:17 AM
Yeah, but if I walk into a place and order a vodka martini, I get handed a list of drinks of various colors.
This turns into a rant very similar to Dennis Leary's rant about coffee flavored coffee.

Want a really awesome wobbly frappachino? Do you think instant coffee powder is useless? Check this out.

Martini Shaker
Ice
Milk (2% or higher is best, don't use Almond milk as it doesn't blend very well and tends to separate)
Half a teaspoon to a full teaspoon of instant coffee powder.
Use about 1.5-2 ounces of any of the following: Kaluha, Irish Cream, Frangelico (coffee liquor), Galliano (vanilla liquor), Creme de Cacao or any other chocolate liquor.
Shake vigorously.

You can also replace the instant coffee powder with hot chocolate mix.

Absolutely amazing on a hot day.

STsinderman
2012-02-01, 12:05 PM
The preservatives crap added to wine is almost always sulphite, which occur naturally in the wine anyways. I understand cheap wine sometimes has sugar too which need not be mentioned on the label. Brother Oni, however, is right: certain substances that get pressed out of the grape skins, in particular, can be conducive to headaches and hangovers. - in addition to the booziness more generally. The preservatives have naught to do with it.

Preservative prejudice is real.

Firstly, the sulphur levels naturally occurring in red wine are naturally high and as a result the sulphur based preservatives only manage to push these to unhealthy levels! Secondly, Sulphur dioxide and Potassium metabisulphite being the two primary preservatives used in red wine production are the main contributes to the hangover. Feel free to try some organic red wine at some point with the lack of additional sulphites there isnt much of a hangover to speak of. Additionally the reason for the sulphurs presence is because it is left to sit with the skins, where white is not.

Kneenibble
2012-02-01, 12:43 PM
Firstly, the sulphur levels naturally occurring in red wine are naturally high and as a result the sulphur based preservatives only manage to push these to unhealthy levels! Secondly, Sulphur dioxide and Potassium metabisulphite being the two primary preservatives used in red wine production are the main contributes to the hangover. Feel free to try some organic red wine at some point with the lack of additional sulphites there isnt much of a hangover to speak of. Additionally the reason for the sulphurs presence is because it is left to sit with the skins, where white is not.
Red wine, organic or not, doesn't ever give me a hangover unless I get into second bottle territory. :smallsmile:

It is a common misconception that sulphites in wine cause headaches and hangovers. Only a small number of people are actually allergic to them. So no, but really: it's histamines and phenols from the grape skins that give red wine its uniquely awful hangovers.

& not to down on organic wine -- it's a great idea -- but that label doesn't always mean there aren't added sulfites, either.

Ancano
2012-02-01, 04:54 PM
The B-52 is my absolute favorite way to get hammered quickly and thoroughly enjoy every shot. It's a shooter that uses 1 part Kahlua, 1 part Baileys, and 1 part Grand Marnier, layered in that order. Tastes like candy with a massive kick.

Keld Denar
2012-02-02, 12:42 AM
Unfortunately, my local costco doesnt sell booze. Although the idea of kirkland brand vodka brought to mind the amusing mental picture of them rolling out a 50 gallon drum of the stuff, considering how most of their merchandise is packaged. :smallbiggrin: Ever do keg stand with vodka? Buy Kirkland vodka and give it a try!

I know Washington state repealed their state controlled liquor laws, so CostCo and other stores will soon be open to sell liquor all across the state. Not too many states left that still regulate that, I'd imaging it'll probably get repealed whereever you are soon enough.

Gaelbert
2012-02-05, 12:54 PM
You guys. The only alcohol worth drinking is the stuff you make yourself.
(My eventual goal is to open up a distillery and make "Night Train" out of jet fuel)

Step one: Take a bottle of Everclear.
Step two: Take a large vat of fruit juices of assorted flavors.
Step three: Combine, and stir well.
Step four: ????
Step five: Drunk!

Strictly speaking, if your only goal is getting drunk then you can remove the second and third steps. If you want to enjoy the experience, then that's a different story.

Karoht
2012-02-06, 11:55 AM
1: Take bottle of white rum.
2: Soak fruit in rum for 48 hours in fridge.
3: Strain fruit. Reserve liquid.
4: Place strained fruit in blender with some non-alcoholized fruit, such as frozen berries. Add ice. Blend. If too thick, add some of the reserved liquid along with more ice.
5: Blend until proper consistancy is reached. If done correctly, no one will taste the booze through all the fruit.
6: Watch as an entire room full of people get hammered on what they think is a fruit smoothie.

For extra alcohol hiding properties, when you soak the fruit in rum, throw some mint tea bags into the booze. The light mint flavor will help hide the booze. When you blend the smoothie, add in a few mint leaves.

Super easy to do with just strawberries and make dacquiries. Or just pineapple/coconut and make extremely wobbly pina colada.

Traab
2012-02-06, 03:37 PM
I know Washington state repealed their state controlled liquor laws, so CostCo and other stores will soon be open to sell liquor all across the state. Not too many states left that still regulate that, I'd imaging it'll probably get repealed whereever you are soon enough.

Ct is BIG on the blue laws and other such things. People have been lobbying for years to get them repealed, but my best guess is there are enough businesses who like things the way they are making "donations" to the lawmakers to keep things status quo and the issue isnt important enough for voters to boot them out of office for refusing to change them. So no buying booze from stores after 9 pm for no real reason, and no booze on sundays at the stores either.

Thurbane
2012-02-10, 05:33 AM
My drink of choice is scotch, preferably Johnnie Walker Black or higher - usually with dry, but sometimes on the rocks. I'll drink more expensive scotch when the occasion arises, but Johnnie is my standby.

Also, very fond of beer - some favourites are Kilkenny, Sapporo, James Squire Amber and Carlton Draught. I'm not a beer snob, I'll drink pretty much any beer, but I'm not a fan of pilseners or a lot of Euro beers.

DaMidget
2012-02-10, 06:56 AM
Bought myself a bottle of 15 year Glenlivet today, going to sit back, relax and enjoy it for awhile :smallsmile: .

Once that's gone its back to my standard drinking diet of hefeweizen.

Thurbane
2012-02-10, 08:06 AM
Bought myself a bottle of 15 year Glenlivet today, going to sit back, relax and enjoy it for awhile :smallsmile:
I had some of that around at a friend's place a few weeks back. Very nice.

Weimann
2012-02-11, 08:30 AM
For something just straight that tastes good, I drink Midori.

Others may say its really girly, but its melon, it tastes like melon, and...well, I don't know if it will get YOU plastered very quickly, but it certainly does so for me.Brofist. Though I mix it about 25/75 with Sprite because I'm such a wuss.

Faceist
2012-02-11, 08:46 AM
If I'm drinking for pleasure, some good straight bourbon is sheer liquid heaven. (I've never really been into scotch; the price is certainly a factor - since a Glenfiddich-swilling pal of mine is virtually bankrupt every time we go out - but it also tends to go down less smooth, for me.) I'm not averse to swilling tequila beer in dive bars, though. Desperados is usually my discount brew.

Riverdance
2012-02-11, 09:46 AM
I don't drink personally, but a seasoned whiskey lover I know swears by Redbreast Irish Whiskey. It's an Irish "Pot Still" Whiskey whatever that means, and is supposedly very good. Unfortunately it is also very expensive.

Xyk
2012-02-15, 01:46 AM
Goldschlager. It is unusually strong and unusually tasty. If you're looking for something to get you drunk quickly that you will enjoy and won't take any work, go with goldschlager. It tastes surprisingly like cinnamon.

tyckspoon
2012-02-15, 02:08 PM
Goldschlager.... It tastes surprisingly like cinnamon.

That would be because it's a cinnamon liqueur, yes. Liqueurs in general are a pretty good option if you want to get drunk pleasantly; they're typically flavored with things that really help to hide the alcohol burn (fruits, butterscotch, other sweet/strong flavors) but have an ABV around that of many hard liquors, because that much alchohol really helps to extract the flavors of whatever it's supposed to taste like. (It's a lot like drinking vanilla extract, basically.)