PDA

View Full Version : Warewolf fight...

undead hero
2012-01-29, 10:28 PM
I need to ask .. Does hold person (pathfinder) work on a d&d3.5 warewolf? During a fight today one of the players turned and the sorceress casted hold person on the warewolf and my warblade... Annihilated the helpless creature (mountain hammer and insightful strike) -_-;;;.

Mystify
2012-01-29, 10:35 PM
I need to ask .. Does hold person (pathfinder) work on a d&d3.5 warewolf? During a fight today one of the players turned and the sorceress casted hold person on the warewolf and my warblade... Annihilated the helpless creature (mountain hammer and insightful strike) -_-;;;.

Assuming it was a humanoid base creature, yes. Lycanthrope adds the shapechanger subtype, but does not change the base type. Change shape is based on polymorph which is based on beast shape, none of which changes your type. A werewolf would be humanoid(shapechanger), and hence hold person works.

A 3.5 werewolf is even more clear-cut. It has alternate form, which specifically states "The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form". Hence, it is still a humanoid, albeit with the shapechanger subtype, and hold person works.

Jeraa
2012-01-29, 10:36 PM
A creatures type does not change when it becomes a lycanthrope. If Hold Person would work on the base creature, it would still work on the werewolf.

undead hero
2012-01-29, 10:37 PM
Well i'll be... Wow 3 rounds and the warewolf (level 5 base character) was taken out -_-;;;

Everyone made a bigger deal about the fight leading up to it.

Also if you kill the person then resurrect them (raise dead, pathfinder) then does the warewolf leave the base character or do we need to find a cure?

RaggedAngel
2012-01-29, 10:38 PM
Please.

Werewolf. It isn't a difficult word to spell.

Mystify
2012-01-29, 10:40 PM
Well i'll be... Wow 3 rounds and the warewolf (level 5 base character) was taken out -_-;;;

Also if you kill the person then resurrect them (raise dead, pathfinder) then does the warewolf leave the base character or do we need to find a cure?
hold person is essentially a save or die.
You would need to find a cure. You don't lose templates when you are raised.

Jeraa
2012-01-29, 10:50 PM

Don't use a single werewolf next time. Single creatures don't do well against a party of 4.

Lycanthropy is a curse in Pathfinder (page 557 Core Rulebook). Raise Dead doesn't remove curses.

undead hero
2012-01-29, 11:03 PM
Well it was a party of 3, the 4th turned so I decided to off the character -_-;;; the warforged is a bit naive on how normal people "turn on and off".