PDA

View Full Version : Red Solo Cup = Greatest Slot on a CD EVER!!!!

Tokuhara
2012-01-29, 11:22 PM
Red Solo Cup by Toby Keith (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKZqGJONH68&ob=av2e)

This song is quite possibly the funniest song Toby Keith has ever written, and possibly one of his best, behind American Soldier and Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue.

What do you all think

ThePhantasm
2012-01-31, 03:52 PM
I dislike the song myself, but I suspect it will be sung over and over for many years to come at various frat parties and tailgating parties.

Deth Muncher
2012-01-31, 03:54 PM
I hate country music. I hate it with a burning passion. I'm from Virginia, and if you go two miles outside of a major city it's the only thing on the radio. My loathing for that musical genre knows no bounds -

And yet, when I heard this song a few months ago, I couldn't stop playing it. It's wonderful.

SaintRidley
2012-01-31, 03:56 PM
I hate country music. I hate it with a burning passion. I'm from Virginia, and if you go two miles outside of a major city it's the only thing on the radio. My loathing for that musical genre knows no bounds -

And yet, when I heard this song a few months ago, I couldn't stop playing it. It's wonderful.

This. Minus the being from Virginia part.

The song's funny. I like this sort of off-beat ode to a silly object.

Tokuhara
2012-01-31, 08:47 PM
It is funny and probably going to be at least 1 Fraternaty's "theme song" for a long, long, long time.

Helanna
2012-02-01, 12:50 AM
I listen to country music quite a lot, because it's the only decent radio station my car picks up. And oddly enough, the more I listen to it, the more I hate it. I find it boring and repetitive and most of the attitudes in the songs really irritate me.

But ohmygod I love Red Solo Cup. It's basically the best country song ever in my (incredibly limited) opinion. Come on, it's an ode to plastic cups, it's fantastic.

Also thanks to this thread I had this song stuck in my head during work all day. Luckily, it played on the way home, so . . . I still have it stuck in my head.

. . . Proceed to party! Proceed to party!

Emmerask
2012-02-01, 02:13 AM
The lyrics are kind of funny...
the rest is pretty darn unremarkable and bland.

Moff Chumley
2012-02-01, 02:40 AM
I enjoyed it. It's the kind of song I could write a pseudo-ironic dissertation on the brilliance of. :smalltongue:

Tokuhara
2012-02-01, 11:57 PM
I enjoyed it. It's the kind of song I could write a pseudo-ironic dissertation on the brilliance of. :smalltongue:

This is a thread about a country song. Big Words & Country Music don't mix

Moff Chumley
2012-02-02, 12:32 AM
I come from a long line of shifty ex-hippy rednecks. My great uncle hasn't been off the mountain in ten years and he's gone through Sartre's oeuvre multiple times, all while maintaining an average blood alcohol content that'd make yer head spin. :smalltongue:

Point is, y'ever hear two big old dudes in overalls and trucker caps carry on about existentialism while trying to drink each other under the table? It's a site to see.

But I dunno, we're Northwest rednecks, few generations removed from Southeast. I have to imagine the principal's fundamentally the same. Boys and girls love their banjos and slide guitars, is all I'm saying. :smallbiggrin:

PhantomFox
2012-02-02, 12:51 PM
Didn't I hear a story where this song was the result of a bet at a party that he could write a song about anything?

Traab
2012-02-02, 03:20 PM
Didn't I hear a story where this song was the result of a bet at a party that he could write a song about anything?

Heh, I wouldnt be surprised, but thats the thing about toby keith, he is a big enough star that he can get away with writing a silly song like that and make it work, if some random cowboy showed up at a record studio with this on a cd he would be booted out the door before the first verse ended. But I like this because its so silly. You can tell he likes to have fun with his music. Its not all about having to shoot your dog, or lose your wife, or how much you love america, its about fun and games and silly stuff too.

Raistlin1040
2012-02-02, 05:39 PM
Heh, I wouldnt be surprised, but thats the thing about toby keith, he is a big enough star that he can get away with writing a silly song like that and make it work, if some random cowboy showed up at a record studio with this on a cd he would be booted out the door before the first verse ended. But I like this because its so silly. You can tell he likes to have fun with his music. Its not all about having to shoot your dog, or lose your wife, or how much you love america, its about fun and games and silly stuff too. Toby Keith is known for being about those things all the time.

He also did not write this song, if you look at the credits.

Tokuhara
2012-02-03, 08:47 PM
Toby Keith is known for being about those things all the time.

He also did not write this song, if you look at the credits.

So? He's a patriot, a tough guy, a party animal, and has a gentle soul.

So????????? Who bloody cares that he didn't write it? I can answer that: NOBODY

Fan
2012-02-03, 09:44 PM
So? He's a patriot, a tough guy, a party animal, and has a gentle soul.

I've never heard someone talk so much **** about a person in an attempt to praise them. Except the Gentle Soul part.

Good job.

And I care that he didn't write it.

Tokuhara
2012-02-03, 09:57 PM
I've never heard someone talk so much **** about a person in an attempt to praise them.

Good job.

And I care that he didn't write it.

EXCUSE ME?! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qBxONi8GA)

First and foremost, I love America. I'm getting "Made in America" Tattooed on the inside of my left bicep, I have several flags in the front of my house, I'm a member of the military (Combat Engineer in the National Guard), and Toby Keith's music (Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue specifically) is my ringtone. Don't push your luck.

Second, Sarcasm irritates me to no end, so let's not pretend your farts don't stink. They do, and we don't want to share in the smell.

Thank you, and please don't ban me, because I'm simply speaking my mind and being honest

Fan
2012-02-03, 10:30 PM
And.. you act like I care.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

My farts are quite rank.

And assumptions are bad for everyone.

As are threats of implied violence!

I respect, and honor, your opinion and service to our country. But that doesn't mean I have like Toby Keith or America in it's current state.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-02-03, 11:08 PM
Oooookly dokely. So, how bout we not get this thread locked then?

I have requested that this song be played at every party I go to in the near future.

I, of course, will be drinking out of glass.

BECAUSE IRONY

Tokuhara
2012-02-03, 11:27 PM
Oooookly dokely. So, how bout we not get this thread locked then?

I have requested that this song be played at every party I go to in the near future.

I, of course, will be drinking out of glass.

BECAUSE IRONY

I fell out of my chair in laughter.

And thank you for being the voice of sanity. I just get worked up about patriotism

Scarlet Knight
2012-02-03, 11:31 PM

Well the guy getting royalties from it probably does...

I like Toby Keith alot, but Red Solo Cup is only a passable song. Still, the Video makes it much more enjoyable.

Moff Chumley
2012-02-04, 01:21 AM
http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/misc-got-a-badass-over-here.png

The guy who bet Toby Kieth vis a vis songwriting probably cares. :smallcool: