PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft Fluffing

Sjlver
2012-01-30, 12:44 AM
I am attempting to make a Starcraft campaign and was wondering if anyone had ideas on the subject.
Zergling - Monk
Zealot - Crusader, Fighter, Barbarian, Warblade
Dark Templar - Duckblade, Rogue, Swordsage
Templar - Beguiler, Bard
Ghost -
I would like some help on refluffing and more/new class ideas.

Psyren
2012-01-30, 12:53 AM
No Psionics? It seems like a big part of the setting to me...

Sjlver
2012-01-30, 12:55 AM
I forgot to mention that it is just going to be tier 3 and 4 classes, but psionic warrior is in there so that might fall under zealot of dark templar

nyarlathotep
2012-01-30, 01:17 AM
zergling is a monster not a character class.

Mystify
2012-01-30, 01:22 AM
zergling is a monster not a character class.

Yeah, I'm not sure how else you would do it.Besides, they don't even match up with monk, they use natural weapons, not unarmed strikes.

nyarlathotep
2012-01-30, 01:28 AM
If you really wanted zergling to be a player class dromite psychic warrior going into warshaper to get a lot of natural weapons could work. Ultralisks being the same class/race combo but built as a king of smack.

shortround
2012-01-30, 01:40 AM
I can't stop laughing at Duckblades. Invisible Protoss wielding ducks.

In all seriousness, Ghosts can be neat as Spellwarp Snipers? Ranged SA with utility.

Heatwizard
2012-01-30, 01:47 AM
I can't stop laughing at Duckblades. Invisible Protoss wielding ducks.

http://i.imgur.com/BjqcX.png

Sjlver
2012-01-30, 07:25 AM
Did I really write Duckblade? Man well that's suppose to be duskblade.

Hanuman
2012-01-30, 07:32 AM
Starcraft has a few core concepts.

Psionics is huge, cerebrants, ghosts, templar, ect. SC has HUGE usage of psionics.

Because of this, ectoplasmic energy is prevalent in protoss, as is mindblades.

In addition, the zerg present both a horror and a concept of evolution, this is very obvious to be Ozodrin, the base race could be custom as an egg or such, or you could pull a kerrigan where you have base human and pick up abberant feats and slowly gain the assimilated look over time.

Honestly, I wouldn't use DnD to run SC otherwise, I'd probably use shadowrun 4.0 or something similar.

Drathmar
2012-01-30, 08:37 AM
I am attempting to make a Starcraft campaign and was wondering if anyone had ideas on the subject.
Zergling - Monk
Templar - Beguiler, Bard
Ghost -

Best zealots are chargelots... this should tell everyone how to build a zealot in this campaign >> :P

Awesome idea by the way.

Also... Templar I don't think would be beguiler or bard... kind of hard to use only tier 3/4 classes for Templar though... they really should be a psion...

Ghosts should be a psychic warrior who focuses on ranged feats most likely.

Could add in Specters as well (psychic warrior focusing on melee basically), if you are including SC 2 stuff.

Also soulknife should be added to zealot and dark templar as they use mindblades or a close equivalent.

Marines = Ranger (refluffed obviously) or fighters focusing on ranged feats

Firebats = Ranged Gish of some type

Medic = Cleric who doesn't fight

P.S.

Is this some kind of sword wielding hero from ducktales :P?

SilverLeaf167
2012-01-30, 08:47 AM
I kind of thought the Monk thing was just a joke about the textbook example of disposable troops being Monks.
:smalltongue:
Zerg Rushing ftw (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZergRush)

Rising Phoenix
2012-01-30, 08:55 AM
zerg= Kythons from the Book of Vile Darkness...

Drathmar
2012-01-30, 08:59 AM
Also, another reason for templars needing to be a Psion (maybe a nerfed psion) the egoist power... fusion... to make archons.

FMArthur
2012-01-30, 09:00 AM
Kythons from BoVD (pages 178-181) should be a critical piece of Zerg infrastructure. They take pretty much the same inspiration from the Alien movies and adjust the idea to lean toward 'insectoid' like the Zerg. They have multiple stages of metamorphosis and possess a random assortment of organic weapons, making them capable of representing broodlings, zerglings, hydralisks, lurkers, ultralisks and probably others if SCII added more ground units.

Rising Phoenix
2012-01-30, 09:40 AM
Kythons from BoVD (pages 178-181) should be a critical piece of Zerg infrastructure. They take pretty much the same inspiration from the Alien movies and adjust the idea to lean toward 'insectoid' like the Zerg. They have multiple stages of metamorphosis and possess a random assortment of organic weapons, making them capable of representing broodlings, zerglings, hydralisks, lurkers, ultralisks and probably others if SCII added more ground units.

That's how I ran them in my last campaign... The winged, fiendish, draconic (+ draconic breath feat from RotD), umbral and shadow templates are a lot of fun when applied to them...:smallamused:

Urpriest
2012-01-30, 09:44 AM
If you're one of those people who consider Wilders or Ardents to be Tier 3, either would make sense as a Templar.

Feralventas
2012-01-30, 02:55 PM
Zergling - Monk
Templar - Beguiler, Bard
Ghost -

Kythons and various demons work well as Zerg. I'm using the Formians from MM1 and Fiend Folio as an insectoid group in one of my games.

Zealots, I would say a few levels in Soul Knife for their blades, followed by Scout for mobility-based melee damage and a Phrenic Template for their shields, though I agree that Barbarian or Warblade (Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind focus) would also work quite well.
Dark Templar, Lurk or Rogue/Psion multi-class to prevent them from achieving T2 status. Rogue Beguiler mix into Unseen Seer might also work nicely.
Templars as Wilders sounds fine; relatively few powers, but lots of firepower behind each one while maintaining the 'casterish feel to them.

Ghosts (Stealthy, lockdown, and call in Nukes?)
I'd mix Pathfinder in here for a Scout3, Ranger ? for Vital Strike and Skirmish and a suit that functions as a Collar of Umbral Metamorphisis to grant them the Dark Creature template (bonuses to Hide, Move Silently, and Hide in Plain Sight). Maybe a delayed Maximized, Enlarged Delayed Blast Fireball staff with a round cast time for the Nuke ability.

And now my internet has DC'd for the time being, but I still have this page, so I'll put a few more together while I wait for the Wi-Fi to come out and play again.

Marines, fighters with some damn good armor and automatic weapons, maybe use D20 Modern or Future for arms and armor.
Firebats, same armor but with Experts and UMD for Burning Hands.
Marauders, Pathfinder Gun Tank gunslinger archetype.
Medics, Warlock3/Cleric3/Eldritch Disciple for Healing Eldritch Blasts.

Goliaths, Iron Golems with Fireball wands (AOE reduced to 10ft radius instead of 20).
Tanks...there's something in the Fiend Folio, but I don't recall what it's called. Probably better to avoid this one as a foe unless your party has some serious firepower available or you want to hand out Reflex Save or Die a lot.
Thors, Greater Earth Elementals with Construct Traits applied.

Stalkers, Warforged Chargers with Etherial Side-step from Ghostwalk (standard action 30ft Dimension Door) and a couple levels of Warlock for Eldritch Blast. This can also work for the older Dragoons.
Sentries, Warforged Scout into Psion focusing on Wall of Energy and Energy Ray powers.

Immortals, See Stalkers, no Etherial Side-step, add +10 natural armor bonus and DR10, Concussion Blast as the power, ML=HD.
Observers, Astral Construct with permanent invisibility and a slow flight speed.
Colossus, Advanced Astral Construct, Energy powers at will, lots of natural armor and at least Gargantuan Size.

Feralventas
2012-01-30, 03:10 PM
Now then, air-units for 'Toss and Terran are going to be more difficult. There are actual ship schematics and stats in both Pathfinder's Ultimate Combat and Stormwrack, but those will need to be altered significantly to fit as a flying ship as well as for the damage dealing capabilities. It might even be easier to grab a coppy of the Spell-Jammer or Hack-Jammer and revise them for 3.x.

Looking at MM3, the Mind Shreders might work as a variant of Zerg, perhaps a group specifically aimed at dealing with Protoss, or the odd Zerg/'Toss hybrids that came up in SC2.

Medium or Large Dragons with earth types for acid damage could work as Mutalisks; take away the Melee attacks, and reduce the breath weapon to a Ray or Line. Alternatively, Warlock levels on an Astral Construct to give it's Eldritch Blast the ability to bounce to multiple targets and convert EB's damage to acid.

Hanuman
2012-01-31, 06:11 AM
Firebats use breath weapons silly, fire breath weapons.

Ossian
2012-01-31, 07:57 AM
Zergling - Monk
Templar - Beguiler, Bard
Ghost -

That guy will go far, as long as that blade does not connect....

Psions are a must for Protoss though. Thing is, the psi-blade is basically a crystal powered soul-knife weapon, so you have to blend those (be them for Zealots, Templars, Dark Templars). Archons are just off the chart powerful, if a bit physically brittle (that is, IF you go pass their psi-shield).

Zergs, no matter how you stat, are in constant berserk stage :smallsmile:

arguskos
2012-01-31, 12:55 PM
In this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10188001&postcount=17) post, you can find a good amount of SC2-themed gear (check under the Items of Intolar tab; the list contains Marine, Firebat, Marauder, Medic, Reaper, and Ghost/Spectre armor, along with the Gauss Rifle, Perdition-class Flamethrower, Concussive Grenade Launcher, and C-4 Canister Rifle, along with Spider Mines).

I also have a number of Zerg creatures statted up in Word documents under the name Toizera (I changed the name for setting relevance, nothing else). I have the Zergling, Hydra, Roach, Lurker, Ultra, Corruptor, and Changeling. I can provide these to anyone who wants them via email, if they wish. I made 'em fairly scary, so keep that in mind.

Draz74
2012-01-31, 06:05 PM
Also... Templar I don't think would be beguiler or bard... kind of hard to use only tier 3/4 classes for Templar though... they really should be a psion...
Psion is pretty easy to nerf down to T3, for what it's worth ... just ban their handful of broken powers, and voila.

Ghosts should be a psychic warrior who focuses on ranged feats most likely.
No, no, no -- Psychic Rogue!! :smallcool:

zerg= Kythons from the Book of Vile Darkness...
I'm sure these work well (I don't have BoVD), but Kruthiks (MM2 or MM3, can't remember which) are PERFECT for Zerglings. I'm 99% sure the authors had copying Zerglings in mind when they wrote them.

Also, another reason for templars needing to be a Psion (maybe a nerfed psion) the egoist power... fusion... to make archons.
Win.

Psions are a must for Protoss though. Thing is, the psi-blade is basically a crystal powered soul-knife weapon, so you have to blend those (be them for Zealots, Templars, Dark Templars).

Eh, unless you were planning on writing a Soulknife fix anyway (or maybe using the Pathfinder version -- it's a solid T4), you'd do better to go with Psychic Warrior with the Soulbound Weapon ACF for Zealots.

Mystify
2012-01-31, 06:30 PM
My group has some kruthik minis. Everytime I see them I think of zerglings.

Hanuman
2012-01-31, 06:49 PM
My group has some kruthik minis. Everytime I see them I think of zerglings.
Have any friends who play tyranid? =P

Mystify
2012-01-31, 06:50 PM
Have any friends who play tyranid? =P
My brother, actually. They do have a distinctly zerg feel the them as well.

Yora
2012-01-31, 06:53 PM
Let me be the one to say the three magic words: Star Wars Saga!

I think that game works perfectly for a setting like Starcraft. You'd really only have to come up with racial traits for Protoss, but I admit that the whole Zerg thing might get a bit work heavy.

gorfnab
2012-02-01, 01:56 AM
Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=107.0) is a decent attempt at Starcraft stats for D20 Modern.

Ravens_cry
2012-02-01, 04:48 AM
My brother, actually. They do have a distinctly zerg feel the them as well.
As Games Workshop doth steal from Aliens, so too Blizzard doth pinch from Games Workshop.
So it hath been, so it is, and so shall it ever be.

NNescio
2012-02-01, 05:21 AM
As Games Workshop doth steal from Aliens, so too Blizzard doth pinch from Games Workshop.

FTFY.

Shakespearean/KJV Bible Grammar
{table=head] |
1st Person|
2nd Person|
3rd Person

Do |
I do|
Thou dost/Ye do*|
He doth

Shall |
I shall|
Thou shalt/Ye shall|
He shall
[/table]

*Thou is informal/familiar, ye is formal. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%E2%80%93V_distinction)

NineThePuma
2012-02-01, 08:12 AM
I did some stuff for statting SC2 Zerg, with some SC1 thrown in for good measure. I'd have to dig them up, but it wouldn't be hard. (It's one of my latest topics started, and in theory I should be working on an essay right now)

Ravens_cry
2012-02-01, 10:59 AM
@NNescio:
Thank you. I know my Old Modern English language skills are rather crummy, so thanks for the corrections. :smallsmile:

nyarlathotep
2012-02-01, 11:47 AM

Do I have to pull out the 2nd edition tyranid codex to show you how wrong you are. The zerg were very clearly stealing directly from aliens and starship troopers for the final product rather than warhammer. Before starcraft came out tyranids were all rainbow colored and had distinctly humanoid faces and wielded equipment like a normal army would (holding non-symbiotic weapons etc). It wasn't until after starcraft came out that tyranids received new models that were consciously closer to Zerg in overall appearance.

Ravens_cry
2012-02-01, 12:14 PM
You might have to because, different colours or not, this (http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/12/10/68917_md-2nd%20Edition,%20Copyright%20Games%20Workshop,%20T yranids.jpg) with the elongated skull, external ribcage look with a surprisingly humanoid mouth and jaw very much reminds me of this (http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/aliens-alien-warrior.jpg).
There has been certainly some back-pollination over the years, but I see definite similarities
Edit: Oh I see what you are saying. Well, going beyond the zerg, the space marines in Starcraft much more resemble their Games Workshop counterparts than any thing in Aliens or even the best known visual interpretation of Starship Troopers.

nyarlathotep
2012-02-01, 12:54 PM
But back then the space marines in 40k were still the beakies (http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/images/rogue-trader/weathered-space-marines-2.jpg). You know the guys who look so ridiculous now that they're only acknowledged in retro stuff.

Now the starcraft alpha (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080113172214/starcraft/images/e/e0/Zergalpha.jpg)was just warhammer 40k the computer game, but by the time they actually released almost everything had bypassed 40k to take inspiration from the original sources that 40k took from.

Ravens_cry
2012-02-01, 03:28 PM
In other words, exactly what I was saying until the lawyers got twitchy.

nyarlathotep
2012-02-01, 04:45 PM
I could have sworn they were originally making an actual licensed 40k game, then the license got yanked.

Ravens_cry
2012-02-01, 05:01 PM
I could have sworn they were originally making an actual licensed 40k game, then the license got yanked.
Perhaps they were, but elements certainly remained after said yanking.
Though I think that might have been Warcraft. You know, the old RTS? No, not that one, or that one, the older one.
With DOS and 320*200 VGA graphics.