PDA

View Full Version : Disc drive not reading any discs

GM.Casper
2012-01-30, 12:51 PM
My computer is no reading any discs. Its not mechanical fault with the device, because I tried several drives. Mechanically its working, but it always shows as empty. I tried clearing registries, reloaded all the drivers, even tried booting straight from a Windows installation disc. That should bypass any software faults that my current Vista might have. Still no result. So whats left? A mechanical fault in the motherboard or something?

DeadManSleeping
2012-01-30, 01:03 PM
CD drives are, compared to many computer parts, inexpensive and VERY easy to replace. Unless you have a laptop. Then you're stuck.

GM.Casper
2012-01-30, 01:30 PM
I tried several spare drives. None of them are working.

Brother Oni
2012-01-30, 04:10 PM
Is the CD drive detecting/set as one in BIOS?

Generic Archer
2012-01-30, 06:39 PM
Change the SATA/IDE header and see what happens... if it's not that, and it's not being recognised in bios then I think it is time for a new MoBo...

Dane

Jack Squat
2012-01-30, 06:40 PM
Is the CD drive detecting/set as one in BIOS?

Another question or two to add onto this: Is it showing up fine in the Device Manager? What kind of computer/drives are they?

CD drives are, compared to many computer parts, inexpensive and VERY easy to replace. Unless you have a laptop. Then you're stuck.

Laptop optical drives are really easy to replace too - at least the ones I've run across.

thubby
2012-01-30, 10:14 PM
stupid question, but have you checked all the connections?

Gnoman
2012-01-31, 08:52 PM
Check your master/slave jumpers (they're usually set to Cable Select nowadays, but can still be a problem.) I've had problems in the past where this sort of problem was caused by a jumper falling off.