PDA

View Full Version : Mindrape "traps"

DoughGuy
2012-01-30, 05:58 PM
Looking at the mindrape spells, while it already has a lot of cheese I couldn't help but think of the potential it still could have. If you're delving into someones mind to rearrange their thoughts it seems theres a lot more you could do. Putting blocks and traps inside the minds of higher level officers in charge of an evil army should be possible. Things like making it harder to dominate/charm by altering the subjects mind workings. Or placing traps that stun people who attempt to read the thoughts of the mindraped person.

E.g. Mindrape 2.0
In addition to the normal effects of mindrape you may choose to do one of the following -
1. Instead of altering the subject's memories you may impose a mind block on the victim. If a caster attempts to control the subject (such as through the dominate person spell) the mindraped subject they gain a +5 bonus to their will save. This represents the extra work the caster of the spell must do to work around the imposed mindblock. In addition by spending an additional hour casting the spell you can ensure that the subject gets a new saving throw each day (regardless of whether the caster concentrates on the spell or not) with a +5 bonus against being dominated.

1. Instead of altering the subject's memories you may leave a magical fragment in the mind of the subject. If a caster attempts to read the thoughts of the subject (such as through the read thoughts power) this fragment activates. The fragment does one of two things, which you choose when implanting it in the subject. Either the reader makes a fort save (DC equal to the DC of the mindrape spell) or becomes stunned for 5 rounds and becomes exhausted. Or you learn the name and location of the caster. The fragment stays in the persons mind until it has activated 5 times.

Would this be too powerful? Also is there anyway to improve the wording of the spell?

Psyren
2012-01-30, 07:24 PM
In addition to the normal effects of mindrape you may choose to do one of the following -
1. Instead of altering the subject's memories you may instead instill impose a mind block mental "block" in the victim's mind. If a caster attempts to affect control the subject with a charm or compulsion effect (such as through the dominate person spell), the mindraped subject they gains a +5 bonus to their will save. This represents the extra work the caster of the spell must do to work around the imposed mindblock. In addition, by spending an additional hour casting the spell, you can ensure that the subject gets a new saving throw each day (regardless of whether the caster concentrates on the spell or not) at the same +5 bonus. with a +5 bonus against being dominated.

1. Instead of altering the subject's memories you may instead leave a magical fragment psychic trap in the mind of the subject. Any If a caster attempt to read the thoughts of the subject (such as through the read thoughts power) this fragment activates the trap.

The fragment mental trap does one of two things, which you choose when implanting it in the subject: Either the reader makes a fort save (DC equal to the DC of the mindrape spell at the time you originally cast it) or become stunned for 5 rounds and exhausted, or you learn the name, location and alignment of the caster (no saving throw applies to this effect.) The fragment trap stays in the persons mind until it has been activated 5 times.

Rewordings in bold above

Slipperychicken
2012-01-30, 07:41 PM
For normal mindrape purposes, you could change the target's "nature" to be totally and completely opposed to following orders from anyone other than you, rendering Dominate almost useless, and forcing diplomacy checks on Charm too.

Why would you hand out your name and location to any jackass who can cast Detect Thoughts? In a world with teleportation/plane shift magic, you're pretty much asking for assassins.

There's also a spell For what I think you're going for: Infallible Servant, BoVD EoE. Turns the target into goop upon capture by enemies, so they can't interrogate him.

EDIT: Thanks, Venger.

Venger
2012-01-30, 09:34 PM
There's also a spell For what I think you're going for: Infallible Servant, BoVD. Turns the target into goop upon capture by enemies, so they can't interrogate him.

infallible servant is great, but it's on p27 of EoE, not BoVD

DoughGuy
2012-01-30, 09:35 PM
Rewordings in bold above

Thank you very much.

Why would you hand out your name and location to any jackass who can cast Detect Thoughts? In a world with teleportation/plane shift magic, you're pretty much asking for assassins.

There's also a spell For what I think you're going for: Infallible Servant, BoVD. Turns the target into goop upon capture by enemies, so they can't interrogate him.

It was the caster of the mindrape learning who was using detect thoughts not vice versa.
I will look a the spell.

Jack_Simth
2012-01-30, 09:45 PM
It was the caster of the mindrape learning who was using detect thoughts not vice versa.Question:
Given that you're using an Instant spell prior to the Detect Thoughts, what is the in-character justification for this? I can kinda see the others... but why this one?

SaintRidley
2012-01-30, 10:05 PM
Question:
Given that you're using an Instant spell prior to the Detect Thoughts, what is the in-character justification for this? I can kinda see the others... but why this one?

Gotta get to know who it is mucking around in the heads of your mindslaves so you can come in and kill them before they get unstunned.

DoughGuy
2012-01-31, 12:22 AM
Question:

Gotta get to know who it is mucking around in the heads of your mindslaves so you can come in and kill them before they get unstunned.

Basically what SaintRidley said. The idea is you use this on higher level officers in your evil army. If people are trying to spy on your top men you want to know who they are so you can put a stop to it.

Slipperychicken
2012-01-31, 12:14 PM
It was the caster of the mindrape learning who was using detect thoughts not vice versa.
I will look a the spell.

The term "the caster", in the context of a spell description, generally refers to the one casting the spell described.

"Know the name/location of the caster" means "The one who meddles in the targets thoughts knows the name/location of one who cast Mindrape". I would suggest a wording like "the caster is notified of the name and location of those who use charm or compulsion effects on the target".