PDA

View Full Version : Laugh if you must..

Vattic
2012-01-30, 07:19 PM
..but i'm creating a pathfinder witch with prehensile hair. i love the image of this, especially combined with burning gaze and a rocking intimidate check. my question for the playground is can you think of anyway to optimize this?

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/sen/synopsis/HakuAndYubaba.jpg

it seems like if you have 10 foot reach with it, and it is as dexterous and your own hands, then it should be easy enough to use it to strangle fools, climb, etc. any fun ideas that are just plain cool even if they aren't optimal choices?

thanks in advance, folks.

Elboxo
2012-01-30, 07:44 PM
..but i'm creating a pathfinder witch with prehensile hair. i love the image of this, especially combined with burning gaze and a rocking intimidate check. my question for the playground is can you think of anyway to optimize this?

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/sen/synopsis/HakuAndYubaba.jpg

it seems like if you have 10 foot reach with it, and it is as dexterous and your own hands, then it should be easy enough to use it to strangle fools, climb, etc. any fun ideas that are just plain cool even if they aren't optimal choices?

thanks in advance, folks.

Very, very long, braided hair + animate rope.

Lateral
2012-01-30, 08:52 PM
Get a bazillion braidblades.
Get Scorpion's Grasp.
???
Profit!

jmelesky
2012-01-30, 11:11 PM
Touch spells from a distance. Heck, grapple someone with it, then cast a touch spell on them while they're grappled.

Elboxo
2012-01-31, 12:44 AM
Polymorph into something with tentacles, disguise self, Ocular Spell.

Now I'm a huge Tentace monster! Now the Tentacles are hair!
Now I have scorching-ray lasers firing from my eyes!

Vattic
2012-01-31, 08:04 AM
Touch spells from a distance. Heck, grapple someone with it, then cast a touch spell on them while they're grappled.

yeah, definitely planning on that. i'm just wondering how to boost my grapple as a low strength witch. using my intelligence bonus (+5) certainly helps. i'm not seeing braid blades, or scorpion's grasp on d20pfsrd though, unfortunately. what was that feat in pathfinder that lets you make a grapple attempt after connecting with a melee attack? does that apply to natural attacks or just unarmed strikes?

Ernir
2012-01-31, 08:28 AM
i'm not seeing braid blades, or scorpion's grasp on d20pfsrd though, unfortunately.

Those are not from PF. Google tells me braid blades are from Dungeon magazine #120, and Scorpion's Grasp is from Sandstorm (3.5 book).

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-31, 08:34 AM
..but i'm creating a pathfinder witch with prehensile hair
Unarmed strikes, Lunge Feat and (maybe) Whirlwind attack.
Just refluff your unarmed attacks to be hair attacks.

Vattic
2012-01-31, 10:04 AM
Unarmed strikes, Lunge Feat and (maybe) Whirlwind attack.
Just refluff your unarmed attacks to be hair attacks.

that's crazy feat intensive just to get a d3 hit on everyone within reach. i don't want to sacrifice utility in my main class abilities (hex and spells) just to be able to smack people with my hair. good idea, but just too much investment imho.

what else, playgrounders?

Vattic
2012-01-31, 10:06 AM
Those are not from PF. Google tells me braid blades are from Dungeon magazine #120, and Scorpion's Grasp is from Sandstorm (3.5 book).

ok, thanks Ernir. i'm limited to pathfinder only, unfortunately, no 3.5 as awesome as it may be :(

jmelesky
2012-01-31, 10:12 AM
what was that feat in pathfinder that lets you make a grapple attempt after connecting with a melee attack? does that apply to natural attacks or just unarmed strikes?

I don't know any such feat, but you might be thinking of the 'grab' ability that a bunch of monsters have.

Dimers
2012-01-31, 10:22 AM
"Laugh if you must"? So you're trying to get your witch Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter? :smallsmile:

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-01-31, 10:37 AM
that's crazy feat intensive just to get a d3 hit on everyone within reach. [...] good idea, but just too much investment imho.
How 'bout 1 level dip in Monk and the Lunge feat? So that you can flurry with your hair within 10 feet?
It's just 1 level and 1 feat (a useful one, actually) should be more affordable.
More importantly, you can now grapple with hair.

Vattic
2012-01-31, 11:01 AM
How 'bout 1 level dip in Monk and the Lunge feat? So that you can flurry with your hair within 10 feet?
It's just 1 level and 1 feat (a useful one, actually) should be more affordable.
More importantly, you can now grapple with hair.

if i thought that i'd be able to hit anything, i probably would do that. i've been schooled pretty hard with several monk characters over the years as to just how much flurry sucks without a very high base attack progression. my to hit as a witch isn't all that great to begin with, dipping monk and flurrying is just going to make it worse. it would be great on a bunch of school children, but otherwise, not so much :)

The Succubus
2012-01-31, 11:08 AM
Kind of a ridiculous idea, to be honest. Next you'll be suggesting that your hair can form some kind of skin-tight body suit and then transform into demonic entities from hell while you stand there stark nekkid.

Vattic
2012-01-31, 11:21 AM
Kind of a ridiculous idea, to be honest. Next you'll be suggesting that your hair can form some kind of skin-tight body suit and then transform into demonic entities from hell while you stand there stark nekkid.

oh yeah, well, well, you're kind of a ridiculous idea, or something!

but yeah, it is a super silly idea. but one that i'm willing to take..

TO THE EXTREME.

Drathmar
2012-01-31, 11:48 AM
oh yeah, well, well, you're kind of a ridiculous idea, or something!

but yeah, it is a super silly idea. but one that i'm willing to take..

TO THE EXTREME*.

*As long as 'to the extreme' doesn't mean I have to actually sacrifice anything from the rest of my character to do so :P

CTrees
2012-01-31, 02:21 PM
Polymorph into something with tentacles, disguise self, Ocular Spell.

Now I'm a huge Tentace monster! Now the Tentacles are hair!
Now I have scorching-ray lasers firing from my eyes!

Man, this would've been the best Old Spice guy commercial EVER!

Vattic
2012-01-31, 03:13 PM
*As long as 'to the extreme' doesn't mean I have to actually sacrifice anything from the rest of my character to do so :P

Hey! what do you think you are doing? that's a totally valid and entirely deserved critique! well, sort of. i just don't want to dip monk because my base attack is already utter poop and flurrying only connects about as much as two highschool girls slap boxing.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-01-31, 04:06 PM
I suggest houseruling more hexes.

And improved natural attack.

Igneel
2012-01-31, 04:21 PM
..but i'm creating a pathfinder witch with prehensile hair.
You think that's bad, my first PF character was a Witch that specialized in healing going for a Pagan-style Healer since we lacked a Cleric. Did next to nothing compared to the Summoner and the Alchemist for half of the game.

Braid hair with several Ropes of Entanglement, or Ropes of Stone? Find a way to make your hair spiky ex: a Brambles spell [Spell Compendium 3.5] on bits of wood in your hair?

Dr. Yes
2012-01-31, 04:33 PM
Optimizing this is kind of an uphill battle, since you have 1/2 BAB progression and have to use an Amulet of Mighty Fists (or a friendly caster with Greater Magic Fang) to keep up with enhancement bonuses. You could still take Power Attack to dish out pretty respectable damage on hits, and use Combat Reflexes or Whirlwind Attack to take full advantage of your reach. The only problem with all of this is that you'll still have a really hard time hitting unless you find a way to get ahead of the curve on your INT bonus.

A decent option would be to dip fighter at 6th (or 7th, since level 6 is a BAB increase and gets you another hex) and then go Eldritch Knight. Your attack bonus will end up pretty respectable if you do that, and while you lose out on two caster levels and the witch's major hexes, you will be a pretty fearsome hair flinger if you invest feats in it.

Also, depending on how your DM handles item creation, Craft Wondrous Items could make your budgeting a lot easier.

Vattic
2012-01-31, 06:03 PM
i think that i'd be happy to reliably grapple and strangle folks. it's too bad that pathfinder rules only allow for suffocation and not strangulation. suffocation takes way way too long.

jmelesky
2012-01-31, 06:08 PM
i think that i'd be happy to reliably grapple and strangle folks. it's too bad that pathfinder rules only allow for suffocation and not strangulation. suffocation takes way way too long.

Actually, there is a Strangler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/strangler-combat) feat...

Though i doubt it would fit well with your character concept.

Vattic
2012-01-31, 06:16 PM
I don't know any such feat, but you might be thinking of the 'grab' ability that a bunch of monsters have.

sorry, i missed this post! yes, that is exactly what i was thinking of. i don't even know if it makes sense in the action economy, but i'd like to make a touch attack with my hair, then start a grapple. next round cast a touch attack spell and maintain the grapple. maybe poke at the enemy with a long spear, but that's probably pushing it, just like casting a hex would be.

Yora
2012-01-31, 07:04 PM
Everyone who has read Uzumaki knows that prehensile hair is no laughing matter!

It's a sign of the apocalypse!
http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/images/movies/uzumaki/pic_uzumaki49_M.jpg

Lifeson
2012-01-31, 07:21 PM
Take a level in Assassin. (http://guilty-gear.wikia.com/wiki/Millia_Rage)

Elboxo
2012-01-31, 07:32 PM
Man, this would've been the best Old Spice guy commercial EVER!

Bahahahahaha! Never thought of that, but yes I must admit it would be.....exciting xD Oldspice tentacle-hair laser man.

Yora
2012-01-31, 07:55 PM
Take a level in Assassin. (http://guilty-gear.wikia.com/wiki/Millia_Rage)
Speaking of gear:
http://www.total-manga.com/images/Artwork/FR-11-3213-B/laughing-octopus.jpg
Which brings us back to laughing. :smallbiggrin: