PDA

View Full Version : Toughness = Maximized HD?

Maquise
2012-01-30, 07:24 PM
I was wondering how useful it would be to make it so that Toughness actually maximized the Hit Dice of the character instead of a static bonus. Would that be OP? UP? Just right?

Mystify
2012-01-30, 07:28 PM
toughness granting an hp/level works out pretty well. It makes it worth a +2 con.
Maximizing HD would be kinda overpowered. thats effectively 5.5 hp/level for a d12 character, and 4.4 for a d10. It would be an amazing feat.

Curious
2012-01-30, 07:29 PM
Everyone would take it, which is generally the sign that a feat is too good.

FMArthur
2012-01-30, 07:30 PM
On average it would yield 0.5 HP less than doubling their hit dice.

If you want to run a less lethal game, just do it for everyone and don't do a feat tax. Otherwise, this amounts to an inconsistent increase in hit points ranging from 1.5-5.5 per level depending on die size, which I think is a bit much.

Adrayll
2012-01-30, 07:39 PM
Well, the common opinion is that Toughness should be about 1HP/HD. Perhaps:

TOUGHNESS, IMPROVED
Prerequisite(s): Toughness
Benefit: The recipient of this feat receives at each level (effective retroactively) hitpoints equal to their Hit Die size as opposed to rolling the appropriate die. This effect replaces that granted by the Toughness feat.

I think there should be additional prerequisites, I just can't think of appropriate ones at the moment.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-30, 07:41 PM
How about this feat:

Toughness
You gain an extra 2 hp + 1 hp per level.

There. The best parts of Toughness and Improved Toughness combined.

Dumbledore lives
2012-01-30, 07:42 PM
How about this feat:

Toughness
You gain an extra 2 hp + 1 hp per level.

There. The best parts of Toughness and Improved Toughness combined.

That's what I do, though I make it 3 just because it really is just smashing the two toughness feats together. Also make it have 13+ con as prerequisite, and can only be gained once.

Gavinfoxx
2012-01-30, 07:44 PM
Well, mine is the same as normal Toughness for all of those Wizards that will never be more than level 1... ;)

I specifically do NOT have a constitution or fort save requirement; to me, that is an important aspect of Toughness. And I would let some version of Toughness be taken multiple times; remember there are several toughness type feats in the game, many of which add more hit points the more feats you take.

There's Dauntless in PgtF, Draconic Toughness in RotD, Dwarf's Toughness, Giant's Toughness, and Dragon's toughness in Masters of the Wild, Arcane Toughness in PHB II, Azure Toughness in MoI...