PDA

View Full Version : Given extra feats by GM, not sure what to take (TWF swordsage)

Natael
2012-01-30, 10:04 PM
I got myself into a new game, Eberron, nearly all books allowed.

GM is giving us:

2 bonus feats at first level
Effectively considers everyone to have Weapon Finesse for free (dx can be used to hit on any normally finessable weapons).
Multi-class penalties are also ignored.
Fractional BaB/Saves

He also added this feat:

Pounce - BaB +6
Can make a full attack on a charge.

Before knowing this, I decided to go with Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, as they ought to be interesting in Eberron (don't know the setting much, and they would be an outsider in the cities they are using, Sharn I think it is called). LA buy off is in effect, so we are ECL 4, but I start at 3rd level with my LA bought off.

Stats (32 point buy and including racial adjusts):

st - 10
Dx - 20
Cn - 12
Int - 10
Wis - 16
Cha - 6

Looking through the swordsage guide on this site and some builds on others, my beginning feats ought to be:

1 - Shadowblade, TWF, Adaptive Style
3 - ??
6 - ??
9 - Improved TWF
12 - Pounce*
15 - Greater TWF
18 - ??

I figure I ought to take Darkstalker and Extra Readied Maneuver somewhere.

Havent asked, but if I can get the alternate Fighter with sneak attack, I could take a 2 level dip and +2d6 sneak attack, which would of course persuade me to go with Craven (or one fighter one rogue to prevent skill point loss).

Maneuver wise, I am familiar enough with them to figure that Shadowhand and Tiger Claw are my best best for getting sneak attack and hitting multiple times.

I am familiar enough with the poison guide to be comfortable working with them without further help (since I have free poison use racially).

I hope I gave enough information and an interesting enough scenario to get some help.

Thank you for any help.

avr
2012-01-30, 11:35 PM
So, you've wandered over to Sharn to find out where these annoying mammals (there's a bunch of refugees in your swampy homeland) come from? Have fun.

About maneuvers, don't neglect Setting Sun entirely. Baffling Defence could be very useful to a slightly fragile TWF'er and Mighty Throw could be useful to you also. Aside from that, it sounds like you have it all planned out; did you have any specific questions?

Natael
2012-01-30, 11:42 PM
Most specifically more ideas for what feats to take (otherwise probably just picking up more stances and maneuvers), and perhaps where the rogue/fighter dips would hurt the least if I were to bother with them (since I need them to pick up craven if I wanted it).

As for plot, that's pretty much it, though to elaborate more, I shamed my tribe by running from a hopeless battle (though they are unaware), so I sent off to find out why the mammals are so successful, and maybe find a way to release Rhashaak, so that I can return in honor.

Snowbluff
2012-01-31, 12:48 AM
The feats needed to Qualify for Master of Nine, for Maves, or Revenant Blade (Player's Guide to Ebberon, this class is beast, but more of a fighter/WB/Crusader PrC) for better TWF. Dipping in Spirit Totem Barbarian is probably better than taking a feat for pounce.

avr
2012-01-31, 09:31 PM
I don't disagree with you re Darkstalker and Extra Readied Maneuver being good choices. I'd take Extra Readied Maneuver at 3rd if you're getting both, you'll feel the pinch at low levels more often than later IMO. If you can retrain it to Darkstalker later that would be the most efficient use, again IMO.

I'd wait til after Swordsage 5 for any dips, when you should pick up Assassin's Stance for another 2d6 sneak attack. That might be enough to qualify you for Craven without dips, arguably.

Greenish
2012-02-01, 10:09 AM
Sneak attack fighter gains sneak attack "as a rogue", so you'd need 3 levels for 2d6.

When in doubt, Imp. Initiative is pretty neat. An exotic weapon proficiency might be fun, if you can talk your DM into adding, say, kusari-gamas into the list of shadow hand weapons. Alternatively, IUS & Snap Kick gets you an extra attack that doesn't require full attacks (though works with them).

Later on, Underfoot Combat and Confound the Big Folk are pretty funny.

Natael
2012-02-01, 11:33 AM
I'd wait til after Swordsage 5 for any dips, when you should pick up Assassin's Stance for another 2d6 sneak attack. That might be enough to qualify you for Craven without dips, arguably.

Sadly will not be, so I'd have to dip to get Craven. Having a tough time working in Gloom Razor while still getting my extra TWF feats in at a reasonable level. Found out that Lion Totem Barbarian is banned as well, so the Pounce feat is the only way to get it, worth it?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-01, 12:03 PM
You only need 1d6 Sneak Attack to get Craven, so dip one level of Spellthief to be able to use a Wand of Wraithstrike. Make sure both your weapons have a Wand Chamber, put the Wand of Wraithstrike in one and an Eternal Wand (MIC) of Grease in the other. Opponents standing on Grease are considered Balancing (as per the Balance skill) and are flat-footed if they have less than 5 ranks in Balance, so you can still Sneak Attack + Craven if there's nobody to flank with.