PDA

View Full Version : New look for the Arcane Archer [3.5 PrC]

Darkweave31
2012-01-31, 12:20 AM
I always loved the idea of an arcane archer, but, like many, disliked the prestige class. I didn't feel like it captured the flavor of a wizard channeling magic through his bow. To me it was more like a ranger that dabbled in magic a little. That's fine as a concept, just not what I was looking for in the arcane archer. This was an idea I had last night that I decided to throw together, so it will need some work for balancing. I was looking at the swiftblade and really liked it. So I wondered if it would work as a template for an arcane archer. So instead of using haste as the basis for a class I looked at flame arrow. Anyway, I think I't a bit different, let me know what you think... good, bad, winding up your ban-hammer, etc.

Picture
http://www.freewebs.com/arcane-legion/ArcaneArcher.jpg

Entry Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast flame arrow.
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Weapon Proficiency: Must be proficient with at least one type of bow (not including crossbows).
Special: Must be an elf, half-elf, or have been approved for training by the elves.

Arcane Archer
Hit Die: D6
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Class Features|Spells per day
1|+1|+0|+2|+2|Arcane Arrow +1, Graceful Mind|
2|+2|+0|+3|+3|Bonus Feat, Elemental Arrow|+1 arcane spellcasting
3|+3|+1|+3|+3|Seamless Cast, Arcane Arrow +2|+1 arcane spellcasting
4|+4|+1|+4|+4|Seeking Arrow, Potent Flame 2d6|
5|+5|+1|+4|+4|Imbue Arrow, Arcane Arrow +3|+1 arcane spellcasting
6|+6|+2|+5|+5|Spirit Bow, Arrow of Force|+1 arcane spellcasting
7|+7|+2|+5|+5|Bonus Feat, Arcane Arrow +4, Potent Flame 3d6|
8|+8|+2|+6|+6|Luck of the Fairy, Veil of Four Winds|+1 arcane spellcasting
9|+9|+3|+6|+6|Deep Imbuing, Arcane Arrow +5|+1 arcane spellcasting
10|+10|+3|+7|+7|Arrow of the Elven Gods, Potent Flame Uncapped|[/table]
Class Skills: (4 + int modifier per level) -- Craft, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Spot, Survival, Use Rope, Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Balance, Tumble

Class Features
Graceful Mind (Ex): At level 1, you may use your casting ability modifier instead of your dexterity modifier for ranged attack rolls if it is higher.

Arcane Arrow (Su): Starting at level 1, you may produce an arrow of pure arcane energy which can be fired like a normal arrow. Producing the arrow does not take an action and the arrow disappears 1 round after it leaves your possession. The arrow has a +1 enhancement bonus which increases by one every two levels (+2 at 3rd, +3 at 5th, etc.). You may produce arcane arrows in an antimagic field or similar effect if you take a move action to make a DC 20 will save. On a successful save you may freely produce arcane arrows for a number of rounds equal to your class level. You do lose the enhancement bonus as well as any other magical effects as normal. When you cast Flame Arrow you may replace the normal target with the next 50 arcane arrows you produce.

Bonus Feats: At level 2 and 7 you may choose a feat from the following list. You may use your intelligence or charisma modifier in place of your dexterity to qualify for prerequisites. Far Shot, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Greater Manyshot, Improved Precise Shot

Elemental Arrow (Su): Starting at level 2, when you cast flame arrow you may choose to replace fire damage with shock, cold, acid, or sonic. This choice applies to all projectiles targeted by the spell.

Seamless Cast (Ex): At level 3, you may cast Flame Arrow as a free action once per round, as if augmented by the Quicken Spell metamagic feat, but without using up higher-level spell slots.

Seeking Arrow (Su): At level 4, when you cast Flame Arrow and target your arcane arrows they gain the seeking property as well as the normal effect of Flame Arrow.

Potent Flame (Su): Starting at level 4, if you cast Flame Arrow in a level 4 spell slot the bonus damage is increased to 2d6 fire damage. At level 7, if you cast Flame Arrow in a level 5 spell slot the bonus damage is increased to 3d6 fire damage. At level 10, if you cast flame arrow in a spell slot above 5th. Each spell level above 5th adds an additional d6 to the bonus damage provided by flame arrow.

Imbue Arrow (Sp): At 5th level, an arcane archer gains the ability to place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell’s area is centered on where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the caster to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted. (SRD)

Arrow of Force (Su): At level 6, when you cast Flame Arrow and target your arcane arrows they gain the force property as well as the normal effect of Flame Arrow. This is in addition to the seeking property from the Seeking Arrow ability.

Spirit Bow (Su): At level 6, you gain a greater control of your arcane arrows. You no longer need a bow to fire an arcane arrow. You may simply hurl the arrow as if you fired it from a composite longbow of your size. You must have one hand free to project the arrow. An arcane arrow fired in this manner deals 1d8 damage (crit x3) plus the arcane archer's casting ability modifier. Arcane arrows may still be fired normally from any bow.

Luck of the Fairy (Su): At level 8, when you cast Flame Arrow and target your arcane arrows they gain the lucky property as well as the normal effect of Flame Arrow. This is in addition to the benefits from the Seeking Arrow and Arrow of Force abilities.

Veil of Four Winds (Sp): At level 8, a gentle breeze begins to swirl around you. When you cast Flame Arrow and target your arcane arrows you may choose to activate this effect as part of the same action. While under this effect you can move and attack normally, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, as the freedom of movement spell. In addition, you do not provoke opportunity attacks when you make a ranged attack while under this effect. This effect lasts 10 minutes/ arcane caster level.

Deep Imbuing (Sp): At level 9, when you place a spell upon an arrow with the imbue arrow ability, you may choose to keep that arrow for up to 8 hours before firing it. This allows you to fire the imbued arrow as part of an attack action later. If it is not fired in 8 hours the spell is wasted. You may do this 3 times per day.

Arrow of the Elven Gods (Su): At level 10, an Arcane Archer may create a single powerful arrow of arcane energy. It takes 5 minutes to create the arrow and you may only have one at a time. If you create a new one the old one crumbles to dust. Only you may use the arrow, if anyone else attempts to fire it crumbles the instant after it is shot, wasting the attack. You may use the arrow as you would any other arrow. When you make an attack with the arrow its effects ignore magical resistances and immunities granted by type, but not spells or magic items. If the attack hits you deal damage normally and the target must make a fortitude save (DC = 10 + arcane archer level + casting ability modifier). If the target fails it is killed instantly or paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to your casting ability modifier. If the target succeeds it is instead stunned for one round. The arrow is destroyed after it hits. If the attack misses the arrow instantly returns to you ready to be fired again.

Edit [2/10/12]: Reworked Spirit Bow, Potent Flame, and Arrow of the Elven Gods, formatting, added image (source: http://www.freewebs.com/arcane-legion/ArcaneArcher.jpg)

TuggyNE
2012-01-31, 02:14 AM
This was an idea I had last night that I decided to throw together, so it will need some work for balancing. I was looking at the swiftblade and really liked it. So I wondered if it would work as a template for an arcane archer. So instead of using haste as the basis for a class I looked at flame arrow. Anyway, I think I't a bit different, let me know what you think... good, bad, winding up your ban-hammer, etc.

I really like the idea of the arcane archer, but the implementation has always bugged me; basing it on the swiftblade seems like an ingenious solution, at once specific and capable. Most fixes are basically "we cranked up the DCs on arrow of death and gave it spellcasting", but this is more of a new idea. Props for that!

Entry Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast flame arrow.
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Weapon Proficiency: Must be proficient with at least one type of bow (not including crossbows).
Special: Must be an elf, half-elf, or have been approved for training by the elves.

Seems reasonable enough; a nod to the legacy elvish connection there.

Arcane Archer
Hit Die: D6
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Class Features|Spells per day
1|+1|+0|+2|+2|Arcane Arrow +1, Graceful Mind|
2|+2|+0|+3|+3|Bonus Feat, Elemental Arrow|+1 arcane spellcasting
3|+3|+1|+3|+3|Seamless Cast, Arcane Arrow +2|+1 arcane spellcasting
4|+4|+1|+4|+4|Seeking Arrow, Potent Flame 2d6|
5|+5|+1|+4|+4|Imbue Arrow, Arcane Arrow +3|+1 arcane spellcasting
6|+6|+2|+5|+5|Spirit Bow, Arrow of Force|+1 arcane spellcasting
7|+7|+2|+5|+5|Bonus Feat, Arcane Arrow +4, Potent Flame 3d6|
8|+8|+2|+6|+6|Luck of the Fairy, Veil of Four Winds|+1 arcane spellcasting
9|+9|+3|+6|+6|Deep Imbuing, Arcane Arrow +5|+1 arcane spellcasting
10|+10|+3|+7|+7|Arrow of the Elven Gods, Potent Flame 4d6|[/table]
Class Skills: (4 + int modifier per level) -- Craft, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Spot, Survival, Use Rope, Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Balance, Tumble

Nice solid skill list, nothing gamebreaking, but some good stuff in here. 6/10 casting is not the greatest, but at least it's not 0/10. (And full casting progression is unnecessary, I'd think.)

Class Features
Graceful Mind (Ex): At level 1, you may use your intelligence modifier instead of your dexterity modifier for ranged attack rolls. (I made this assuming a wizard base, substitute charisma instead for sorcerer)

I'd rephrase something like "You may use your casting ability modifier instead of your dexterity modifier..." and so on. Perhaps include provisions for choosing between multiple ability modifiers in case you for some reason have multiple spellcasting classes.

Arcane Arrow (Su): Starting at level 1, you may produce an arrow of pure arcane energy which can be fired like a normal arrow. Producing the arrow does not take an action and the arrow disappears 1 round after it leaves your possession. The arrow has a +1 enhancement bonus which increases by one every two levels (+2 at 3rd, +3 at 5th, etc.). You may produce arcane arrows in an antimagic field or similar effect if you take a move action to make a DC 20 will save. On a successful save you may freely produce arcane arrows for a number of rounds equal to your class level. You do loose the enhancement bonus as well as any other magical effects as normal. When you cast Flame Arrow you may replace the normal target with the next 50 arcane arrows you produce.

Bonus Feats: At level 2 and 7 you may choose a feat from the following list. You may use your intelligence modifier in place of your dexterity to qualify for prerequisites. Far Shot, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Greater Manyshot, Improved Precise Shot

And pretty much the same here. For some reason I was thinking there should be more in the list, but I don't know which. Ah well.

(snipped lots of very handy abilities)

Arrow of the Elven Gods (Su): At level 10, as a full-round action an arcane archer may fire one arrow that has been augmented by the flame arrow spell at a target within range. If the arrow hits, the target takes damage normally and must make a fortitude save (DC = 10 + Arcane Archer class level + intelligence modifier). If the save fails the target either dies or is paralyzed for 1d6+10 rounds at the choice of the Arcane Archer. This ability affects all creatures regardless of type or immunity.

May want to include a times/day provision or some such? I'd also rephrase and alter the DC, perhaps like this: "DC = 10 + 1/2 class level + casting ability modifier"; I seem to remember that most abilities are keyed off half the class level, although depending on how many times/day you could put it at full.

Oh, and there's a few places where loose is used instead of lose. Might want to fix those too.

All in all, looks pretty solid.

Kane0
2012-01-31, 03:32 AM
And pretty much the same here. For some reason I was thinking there should be more in the list, but I don't know which. Ah well.

Shot on the run?

Kane0
2012-01-31, 03:33 AM
*Double message Sorry*

Hmm, i cant fault anything about this really, it all seems very well thought out, balanced, intuitive and flowing. I could add more superlatives but you get the idea :smallwink:

The only thing that is striking me as odd is that you have two good saves. Normally that wouldn't bother me but when you have 4 skills/level, 6/10 casting and some pretty good abilities id say a second good save isnt really necessary since theres nothing to make up for. Then again i might just be one of those 'only one good save' believers

TuggyNE
2012-01-31, 05:51 AM
The only thing that is striking me as odd is that you have two good saves. Normally that wouldn't bother me but when you have 4 skills/level, 6/10 casting and some pretty good abilities id say a second good save isnt really necessary since theres nothing to make up for. Then again i might just be one of those 'only one good save' believers

Well, good will save makes sense since it's a casting prestige class; good reflex save is borrowed from the more agile martial classes, which also makes sense IMO... honestly, I don't really see any reason not to include both of those. Now, a good fort save might be a bit much, yes.

Darkweave31
2012-01-31, 11:47 AM
May want to include a times/day provision or some such? I'd also rephrase and alter the DC, perhaps like this: "DC = 10 + 1/2 class level + casting ability modifier"; I seem to remember that most abilities are keyed off half the class level, although depending on how many times/day you could put it at full.

I was unsure about this ability, but here's how I'm justifying it. First this is the ability you get instead of 9th level spells. Now there's no way it is on that level (if it were it would be overpowered) but like the swiftblade's innervated speed I at least want it to make the 10th level worth thinking about. Compare it to Wail of the Banshee where you can target up to 20 creatures at once with a standard action. So I think a times per day restriction wouldn't be worth it since you could instead imbue wail of the banshee on an arrow and get a stronger effect... that actually sounds pretty cool now that I'm saying it lol

Though I thought about casting Flame Arrow from a 6th level slot to create a number of death arrows equal to your level instead of the normal effect. The problem with that (though it may not actually be a problem) is the archer firing off 5 death arrows in a round. To me it was a decision between sniper shot or more arrow volley.

As for the save I based it off of the assassin's death attack which does use the full class level. It makes the DC just a touch higher than a 9th level spell, which like I said is what you are trading for this ability.

Basically I want the capstone ability to be cool and worthwhile.

As for the two saves, the original arcane archer and the swiftblade both have two saves and reflex and will made more sense to me than the original's fortitude and reflex. I guess the original was more ranger with a dash of arcane whereas this is more a wizard that channels magic through his bow.

Thanks for the input, let me know if you disagree with any of my justifications and I'll see how I can rework it :smallbiggrin:

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-31, 12:12 PM

The 1/2 level usually goes with base classes, so the bonus caps out a +10, on a par with 9th level spells. Prestige classes only get 10 levels, so using +class level works out about the same way.

TuggyNE
2012-01-31, 06:05 PM
I was unsure about this ability, but here's how I'm justifying it. First this is the ability you get instead of 9th level spells. Now there's no way it is on that level (if it were it would be overpowered) but like the swiftblade's innervated speed I at least want it to make the 10th level worth thinking about. Compare it to Wail of the Banshee where you can target up to 20 creatures at once with a standard action. So I think a times per day restriction wouldn't be worth it since you could instead imbue wail of the banshee on an arrow and get a stronger effect... that actually sounds pretty cool now that I'm saying it lol

Though I thought about casting Flame Arrow from a 6th level slot to create a number of death arrows equal to your level instead of the normal effect. The problem with that (though it may not actually be a problem) is the archer firing off 5 death arrows in a round. To me it was a decision between sniper shot or more arrow volley.

I guess the question is whether the arcane archer should just be arrow of deathing everything; without times/day, it basically comes down to "once a round, make a save-or-die attack". Which... I dunno, it just seems like as soon as you get the capstone, that's about all you'd ever use, really. I'm not enough of an expert on balance to be sure, though.

As for the save I based it off of the assassin's death attack which does use the full class level. It makes the DC just a touch higher than a 9th level spell, which like I said is what you are trading for this ability.

That makes sense, yeah.

The 1/2 level usually goes with base classes, so the bonus caps out a +10, on a par with 9th level spells. Prestige classes only get 10 levels, so using +class level works out about the same way.

Ah, fair enough.

Darkweave31
2012-02-01, 10:47 AM
I guess the question is whether the arcane archer should just be arrow of deathing everything; without times/day, it basically comes down to "once a round, make a save-or-die attack". Which... I dunno, it just seems like as soon as you get the capstone, that's about all you'd ever use, really. I'm not enough of an expert on balance to be sure, though.

The problem is finding limit that will make losing 9th level spells worth thinking about. How about something like this...

Arrow of the Elven Gods (Su): At level 10, an Arcane Archer may create a single powerful arrow of arcane energy. It takes 5 minutes to create the arrow and you may only have one at a time. If you create a new one the old one crumbles to dust. Only you may use the arrow, if anyone else attempts to fire it crumbles the instant after it is shot, wasting the attack. You may use the arrow as you would any other arrow. When you make an attack with the arrow its damage and effects ignore magical resistances and immunities. If the attack hits you deal damage normally and the target must make a fortitude save (DC = 10 + arcane archer level + intelligence or charisma modifier). If the target fails it is killed instantly or paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to your intelligence or charisma modifier. If the target succeeds it is instead stunned for one round. The arrow is destroyed after it hits. If the attack misses the arrow instantly returns to you ready to be fired again.

This makes it more once per encounter, adds a bit of the original Arrow of Death's flavor, you aren't totally screwed if you roll a 1 on your attack, and guarantees that when you hit they will feel it no matter how high their fortitude save.

TuggyNE
2012-02-01, 06:52 PM
Arrow of the Elven Gods (Su): At level 10, an Arcane Archer may create a single powerful arrow of arcane energy. It takes 5 minutes to create the arrow and you may only have one at a time. If you create a new one the old one crumbles to dust. Only you may use the arrow, if anyone else attempts to fire it crumbles the instant after it is shot, wasting the attack. You may use the arrow as you would any other arrow. When you make an attack with the arrow its damage and effects ignore magical resistances and immunities. If the attack hits you deal damage normally and the target must make a fortitude save (DC = 10 + arcane archer level + intelligence or charisma modifier). If the target fails it is killed instantly or paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to your intelligence or charisma modifier. If the target succeeds it is instead stunned for one round. The arrow is destroyed after it hits. If the attack misses the arrow instantly returns to you ready to be fired again.

Ah, that does indeed seem more reasonable. Might add in something about creating the arrow "from an arrow affected by the flame arrow spell", to keep the theme of the class going.

Its interactions with immunities are still a little wonky; it makes sense to be able to insta-kill undead/constructs, of course, and even paralyze/stun them, but automatically ignoring any class- or spell-derived immunities seems a bit much. Not too sure exactly how to deal with that. Maybe someone else has suggestions?

Darkweave31
2012-02-04, 08:04 PM
Perhaps I should somehow reword it so that it only ignores immunity granted by type? That way the BBEG's death ward will still be effective. I can see it becoming frustrating for the DM if the PC is able to one-shot the main villain. That way it would be effective against all foes, but still has a check to prevent abuse.

TuggyNE
2012-02-04, 08:58 PM
Perhaps I should somehow reword it so that it only ignores immunity granted by type? That way the BBEG's death ward will still be effective. I can see it becoming frustrating for the DM if the PC is able to one-shot the main villain. That way it would be effective against all foes, but still has a check to prevent abuse.

Yeah, that might be good; allowing a character to immediately bypass any and all protections against instant death is kinda difficult to deal with, because, as you say, there's no checks and balances.

Darkweave31
2012-02-10, 11:57 AM
Changed a few abilities. Potent Flame can now be improved past the former cap of 4d6 by preparing it in higher spell slots. Now it will continue to improve even after the class has run its course. Spirit bow has been reworked so instead of creating a bow to use it acts more like the Soulbow's ability while still allowing the arrows to be fired normally from a real bow. Biggest change was to Arrow of the Elven Gods. It brings back some of the original Arrow of Death flavor, but is more potent and hopefully still worthwhile. Once per encounter you can basically make sure they feel the pain.

Please let me know if you see any balance issues with the new abilities.