PDA

View Full Version : Mass Spell (3.5 metamagic feat, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-31, 01:14 AM
I honestly tried to make this make sense going by the preexisting spells out there, but WotC apparently just went "Eh, !@#$ it, we can make this a Mass spell, and it feels like it should be this level as a Mass spell", so I created a rough formula based off the spells in the SRD as best I could. Enjoy!

Mass Spell (Metamagic)
Prerequisite: Any 2 other metamagic feats
Benefit: Mass Spell may be applied to any spell with a range of touch or that effects a single target with a range of close. A spell with a range of touch has its range increased to close, and effects up to one target per caster level. A spell with a range of close has no change in range, and affects up to one target per caster level. All targets of the spell must be within 30 feet of each other. A Mass spell uses a spell slot three slots higher than the original spell.

Ernir
2012-01-31, 08:25 AM
Are you aware of the Chain Spell metamagic feat, from Complete Arcane? The feat there is not precisely the same as what you have here, but the intent does seem to be.

Yitzi
2012-01-31, 10:27 AM
You misspelled "affects" and "feet", but other than that looks good.

Seerow
2012-01-31, 11:08 AM
Personally I'd go for a 3 spell level adjustment as opposed to 4. While a lot of spells have an increase of 4, the Heal Spell gets it with only 3. And I'm honestly not offended by mass buffing spells (ie the caster helping the whole group not just himself) a little cheaper than default after spending a feat.

Yitzi
2012-01-31, 11:18 AM
Personally I'd go for a 3 spell level adjustment as opposed to 4. While a lot of spells have an increase of 4, the Heal Spell gets it with only 3. And I'm honestly not offended by mass buffing spells (ie the caster helping the whole group not just himself) a little cheaper than default after spending a feat.

Heal gets it at 3 because otherwise it would be level 10. Perhaps say that it can be applied to 6th level spells only for only a +3 level increase.

Seerow
2012-01-31, 11:20 AM
Heal gets it at 3 because otherwise it would be level 10. Perhaps say that it can be applied to 6th level spells only for only a +3 level increase.

I don't really see what's broken about mass bull's strength at level 5 instead of 6, or mass cure light wounds at 4 instead of 5.

I understand why Heal gets it cheaper, I'm pointing out if it's okay for Heal, which is a far better spell than any of the others that typically gets mass applied, then it's good enough for the general rule.

Noctis Vigil
2012-01-31, 02:06 PM
Fixed the spelling and made it a flat +3 spell level adjustment.

Cieyrin
2012-02-01, 11:24 AM
I'd put a 1-2 metamagic prereq on it, maybe a Spellcraft requirement. Otherwise, this looks spot on, just not something someone new to metamagic would be able to just throw on their spells.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-01, 11:54 AM
Prereq added. Look good now?

Cieyrin
2012-02-01, 01:53 PM
Prereq added. Look good now?

Perfect, like how well Delay Spell works after getting ripped off of Delayed Blast Fireball. :smallsmile: