PDA

View Full Version : Need some BBEG Ideas

Kaveman26
2012-01-31, 01:43 PM
I am putting together a campaign that will either take place in Pathfinder or 3.5 with some limits. It will start at 14-16th level and go to 20 or just above. As it stands right now I am developing a BBEG that is a lich/wizard. His phylactery will be locked within a special casket that can only be opened with five keys. The lich has five captains that all hold a single key. His end game is control multiple planes and groups of creatures. Each captain is responsible for a different task or group and the PC's must eliminate the captains, destroy the phylactery and draw out the lich. so far I have the following concepts.

Sabbin Imh: Monk/Assassin. His domain will be a mountain stronghold where he trains various assassins and agents whose mission is to eliminate as many high ranking clerics as possible. He is tasked with eliminating those that can destroy or turn undead. His stronghold will be designed to take advantage of monk's mobility and will be meant to constantly test those who seek to train under his guidance. Lots of pit traps and akward passages with traps. Reflex saves will be critical.

Malorn: Vampire Ranger. He is tasked with controlling or driving humanoids to attacking and drawing attention of major nations to engage their forces and cause as much unrest as possible. Meant to harry PC's and constantly be nipping at their heels to limit their rest and expend resources. Has forces of trolls, ogres and goblins along with some giants and a his own cadre of gnoll archers as bodyguards.

Galbrix: Advanced Fiendish Shaitan with fighter levels. his desert palace will be little a fiendish earth playground with golems, advanced mimics and mischevious Shaitans under his control. I want this to be the gaming session that brings them to borderline violence against me for the amount of aggravating tactics I bring to bear.

Fayora:A Vampire Nymph Druid. She is responsible for corrupting nature and twisting it to her lord's whims. She has several black dragons completely enthralled to her service. She will be the intro encounter for this group and I mostly just like concept of an underground grotto covered in moss and lichen with this unholy seductive abonimation and her pet dragons.

Demonic General: Need ideas

I am looking for potential advice in terms of creative encounters and possible builds or ideas for captains. Also any feedback in terms of these captains sounding cliched or "overdone"

Alexander1996
2012-01-31, 01:48 PM
Just an idea for the demonic general, since he, as far as you said, will probably be a demon. Being chaotic evil, he could try to take over for himself, maybe becoming a potential (if dangerous and unstable) ally so that he can gain power over his master. Give him some kind of bargaining chip over the PCs, and force them to deal with the ramifications and suspicions of others because of their alliance (a church of paladins believing the PCs have become corrupted and going after them, etc.

An Enemy Spy
2012-01-31, 01:51 PM
Just channel Jeremy Irons from Dungeons and Dragons.
Let their blood rain from the SKY!!!hisshisshiss...

Kaveman26
2012-01-31, 02:07 PM
Just an idea for the demonic general, since he, as far as you said, will probably be a demon. Being chaotic evil, he could try to take over for himself, maybe becoming a potential (if dangerous and unstable) ally so that he can gain power over his master. Give him some kind of bargaining chip over the PCs, and force them to deal with the ramifications and suspicions of others because of their alliance (a church of paladins believing the PCs have become corrupted and going after them, etc.

Maybe a Succubus that masquerades as an ally and ultimately is luring them to weaken the BBEG so she can take her shot to come out on top. Would facilitate the means to have "good guys" incorrectly identifying the party as villians if they don't realize their ally is in fact evil. Of course then detection of her true nature becomes a great big obstacle. But then that feels somewhat cliche. Could have her be saved from her own demons, make her the maiden in distress and the PC's have to rescue her. Have her claim that the lich bound her in chains that can only be released with his demise, and that the chains are responsible for the errors in things like detect evil and true sight.

JonRG
2012-01-31, 02:32 PM
Yeah, the damsel in distress will be the first person the players suspect. When I went down the list, glabrezu (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/demon/glabrezu) caught my eye. A little less carnally-motivated while still very tricksy, plus the :smalleek: factor when some random humanoid turns into a three ton powerhouse with crab claws. :smallamused:

For Malorn, maybe you could look into an item/spell that lets him be in the sun (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cloak_of_Dark_Power). It'll be beneficial to his longevity and add to his intimidation factor if the players don't immediately identify him as a vampire.

Grelna the Blue
2012-01-31, 07:33 PM
A couple random ideas that came to mind for two of your captains:

Sabbin Imh: Monk/Assassin. Have you considered giving him the Pathfinder Dimensional (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats#D) feats?

Fayora:A Vampire Nymph Druid. First, be sure to have some means of casting Greater Dispel Magic to get rid of the Energy Resistance vs. acid the party will probably have loaded up on if they know anything about her. Regarding her dragon allies, perhaps in place of pure vanilla black dragons they could have some special abilities. As an example, if they all had the ability to take human or elven form they could be a nasty surprise for a party that doesn't know how many dragon allies she actually has and does not realize that the cavern seemingly containing only 2 dragons, her, and 3 prettyboy servants actually contains five dragons. Alternatively (or in addition), is it possible in your game for dragons to contract vampirism? That could be fun. Finally, I recall that in 3.5 there were feats that allowed wild shaping into dragon form. If the druid had such a feat and wild shaped into shadow dragon form, would the party immediately realize that she wasn't a common black? Are all her allies, in fact, truly black dragons? Or are they all just black in color?

Kaveman26
2012-01-31, 07:54 PM
A couple random ideas that came to mind for two of your captains:

Sabbin Imh: Monk/Assassin. Have you considered giving him the Pathfinder Dimensional (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats#D) feats?

Yes I have.

Fayora:A Vampire Nymph Druid. First, be sure to have some means of casting Greater Dispel Magic to get rid of the Energy Resistance vs. acid the party will probably have loaded up on if they know anything about her. Regarding her dragon allies, perhaps in place of pure vanilla black dragons they could have some special abilities. As an example, if they all had the ability to take human or elven form they could be a nasty surprise for a party that doesn't know how many dragon allies she actually has and does not realize that the cavern seemingly containing only 2 dragons, her, and 3 prettyboy servants actually contains five dragons. Alternatively (or in addition), is it possible in your game for dragons to contract vampirism? That could be fun. Finally, I recall that in 3.5 there were feats that allowed wild shaping into dragon form. If the druid had such a feat and wild shaped into shadow dragon form, would the party immediately realize that she wasn't a common black? Are all her allies, in fact, truly black dragons? Or are they all just black in color?

So far they were going to be What You See is What you Get Black Dragons. I like the idea of making them pretty boy servants. That would be a fun surprise to suddenly have more dragons than expected.

Mastikator
2012-02-01, 08:25 AM
You should totally go with a Balor for the demonic general ;)

Or maybe a Marilith (considering that Mariliths ARE generals).

Alexander1996
2012-02-01, 01:49 PM
Maybe a Succubus that masquerades as an ally and ultimately is luring them to weaken the BBEG so she can take her shot to come out on top. Would facilitate the means to have "good guys" incorrectly identifying the party as villians if they don't realize their ally is in fact evil. Of course then detection of her true nature becomes a great big obstacle. But then that feels somewhat cliche. Could have her be saved from her own demons, make her the maiden in distress and the PC's have to rescue her. Have her claim that the lich bound her in chains that can only be released with his demise, and that the chains are responsible for the errors in things like detect evil and true sight.

True but here is another idea. The general notices the PCs generally making a mess out of things, and quietly shifts events so that they succeed more readily than they otherwise could have. Maybe the lich decides that the PCs are a threat and tries to kill them, when the general out and out rebels, helps the PCs to temporarily defeat the lich, and try to make their way to the phylactery and get the remaining key before it gets a chance to regenerate.

SowZ
2012-02-01, 02:24 PM

If you go for this, make sure it is only presented as an option and that it is possible to refuse without most likely death.

Golden Ladybug
2012-02-02, 06:48 AM
For the Demonic General turning traitor idea...well, the PCs have to go deal with him/her/it at some point anyway, so just have them run through his themed defenses (Lots of Lesser Demons, Fiendish Creatures, etc). Find our Demon lounging on a throne made of skulls, sipping a glass of wine with a sly grin.

And then have him/her/it calmly offer an Allegiance. Both sides want to see the Lich's downfall, although for different reasons; the Demon offers the Key to the PCs, as well as his/her/it's help to put the Lich down in the end. But in return, the PCs have to help him/her/it to defeat the lich.

And then, if they accept, actually have the Demon do just that. If they refuse, the Demon gives them the Key anyway and bamfs out of there. When the PCs defeat the Lich, well, isn't that a perfect time for our Demon to re-enter the equation?

And I'd second Succubus for this purpose. Because it is so deliciously in character for a Succubus.

Crafty Cultist
2012-02-02, 12:37 PM
If you want the demon general to stand out from the pack, I think a standard demon is to generic. your players will be able to tell its abilities just by seeing it's true form. I'd suggest applying the half-fiend template to something big and intelligent(ogre mage, cloud giant, ect).

If you have your intelligent demon heneral act like a brute, it could be a good way of fooling your players. Make any actions he takes to hasten the lich's defeat look like bumbling stupidity or the result of his temper. Then when the lich is at the end of it's rope, the demon gets serious.

INDYSTAR188
2012-02-02, 01:18 PM
I know you said your BBEG was a Lich so I was going to suggest maybe a Death Knight General or something like that in place of the Demon General. Or maybe it could be a Death Knight Demon General, strictly because you mentioned a Lich I thought a it might put a lot of 'trust' in another very powerful undead creature. Probably because he could influence/command it if he needed/wanted to.