PDA

View Full Version : Play-by-post tips

Johanz
2012-01-31, 03:16 PM
Hey!
I'm currently trying to join into a play-by-post game dm'd by a friend of mine. I have done a bit of it before, but wanted to ask if there are any common mistakes people tend to make on their early posts. Right now my knowledge extends to no godmodding, metagaming, write well. Since I haven't really done too many pbp games, any input from more experienced gamers would be appreciated :smallsmile:

Blisstake
2012-01-31, 04:21 PM
Right now my knowledge extends to no godmodding, metagaming, write well.

Honestly, if you've got that down you should be fine.

In addition, always let the players know when you might be unavailable for some time, and if it's okay for the DM to take control of your character in the mean-time. Also, always make sure someone is keeping track of loot, and keep your sheet updated with your new gear.

Eldest
2012-01-31, 04:38 PM
Post fairly often, don't be shocked if the game dies.

Strawberries
2012-01-31, 04:40 PM
Also, could I point you in the direction of the guide to play by post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181299)? It has some useful info and advice. :smallsmile:

The Dark Fiddler
2012-01-31, 07:22 PM
Something that's more from experience than anything, and a bit of advice I can't remember ever seeing mentioned, is this: do not, if you can help it, apply to a game where the recruitment wasn't started by the GM. That is, any game that is started by a player looking for a GM is something to avoid; the GM, if one is ever found (because in many cases nobody will step up to run the game) will almost always be less motivated and attached to the game than if they'd started recruiting for a concept they started up. I give this advice with experience on both sides here.

Blisstake
2012-01-31, 08:46 PM
Something that's more from experience than anything, and a bit of advice I can't remember ever seeing mentioned, is this: do not, if you can help it, apply to a game where the recruitment wasn't started by the GM. That is, any game that is started by a player looking for a GM is something to avoid; the GM, if one is ever found (because in many cases nobody will step up to run the game) will almost always be less motivated and attached to the game than if they'd started recruiting for a concept they started up. I give this advice with experience on both sides here.

I don't know, my Kingmaker game has been going strong for over 6 months now even though it was originally a request by one of the players.

Edit: Which I'm incredibly attached to :smallsmile:

I haven't been in enough games to know if this is generally the case though. So maybe your opinion is more founded.

Savannah
2012-01-31, 10:54 PM
Also, could I point you in the direction of the guide to play by post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181299)? It has some useful info and advice. :smallsmile:

Make absolutely sure you read this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10161017#post10161017), which for some reason doesn't seem to be included in the opening post (or else I'm just blind...). It does an amazing job of describing all the most common reasons games die and giving advice on how to avoid that.

I disagree. My favorite game ever, which I've been playing in for over a year, started at the request of a player. The game I've been DMing for over a year also started at a player's request. I've seen games fold before they even got out of recruitment when a DM started the thread. It really depends on the exact situation in question.

Johanz
2012-02-01, 02:12 AM
Thank you so much! I'll go take a look at these guides right now!