PDA

View Full Version : Campaign where you work for (not kill) a dragon?

danzibr
2012-01-31, 04:28 PM
I just read this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11513821&postcount=26) and found it very funny/interesting, even thinking to have it be a major part in the next campaign I run.

Has anyone done such a thing?

kardar233
2012-01-31, 04:35 PM
I believe it's called high-level Eberron. Though you usually don't know you're working for a dragon until years afterwards.

Shadowrun is a similar idea in a different system and setting.

Namfuak
2012-01-31, 05:43 PM
One of my characters once hired a whore who turned out to be a dragon in disguise, who tipped my character off as to who the bad guy was. Mind, I didn't find out she was a dragon until after we did the deed.

Icestorm245
2012-01-31, 06:00 PM
One of my characters once hired a whore who turned out to be a dragon in disguise, who tipped my character off as to who the bad guy was. Mind, I didn't find out she was a dragon until after we did the deed.

Best way to get bastard half-dragon children. Ever.

Psyren
2012-01-31, 06:11 PM
I think there's a story about a very long-winded gold dragon in Draconomicon, who swats the PCs with her tail if their attention wanders while she talks, or if they use foul language in her presence. That would be a fun boss to work for.

Ormur
2012-01-31, 06:12 PM
My players have done a mini-quest for a dragon and he's pretty much pulling all the strings in the setting, or so they think. He has given them aid and been pretty polite but he's a neutral party in the larger plot of the campaign.

Not that they haven't expressed a desire to kill him, but that's just how adventurers are.

hydraa
2012-01-31, 06:13 PM
In a campaign I am in one of the NPCs we work for is a Dragon librarian, who's hoard is not in treasure but in books.

Galathir
2012-02-01, 09:13 AM
I'm currently running a PbP game (The Gavisoria Games) that follows that almost exactly. There are of course some more nuanced differences, but nothing the players need to know about just yet.

mcv
2012-02-01, 07:42 PM
We did a number of quests for a major dragon in Earthdawn (prehistoric Shadowrun). We didn't want to, but you just don't say "no" to a dragon. After reporting back from each mission, we immediately got a new one, so after a particularly long mission we decided to just not report back. Something important had come up, and dragons can take care of themselves, right? We preferred staying on friendly terms from a safe distance.

danzibr
2012-02-01, 07:53 PM
We did a number of quests for a major dragon in Earthdawn (prehistoric Shadowrun). We didn't want to, but you just don't say "no" to a dragon. After reporting back from each mission, we immediately got a new one, so after a particularly long mission we decided to just not report back. Something important had come up, and dragons can take care of themselves, right? We preferred staying on friendly terms from a safe distance.
How did that end up?

danzibr
2012-02-01, 07:56 PM
Whoops, double post.

LibrarianHuntar
2012-02-01, 08:24 PM
In my last campaign, the major political events last 900 years had all been done by dragons or dragons in disguise. One of my players, who for this shall be called George, corroborated with me so that his character would, after he returned form his summer vacation with the other players levels higher, that he was actually a dragon.