PDA

View Full Version : Improving Racial Poison attacks

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-31, 05:19 PM
I'll hopefully be playing an Imp soon. Is there any way to improve it's poison attack? Damage dealt, Save DC, the stat it effect, bonus effects, anything you can think of.

Thanks,
K-B

NNescio
2012-01-31, 05:35 PM
I'll hopefully be playing an Imp soon. Is there any way to improve it's poison attack? Damage dealt, Save DC, the stat it effect, bonus effects, anything you can think of.

Thanks,
K-B

Ability Focus. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm) Kinda sucky though.

There's also the Druid (and Cleric/Ranger) spell Venomfire, which is infamous for use with Fleshrakers, but can work with other poison attacks as well.

Elboxo
2012-01-31, 07:43 PM
Your best bet is Ability Focus, as well as druid spells, though Savage Species has Virulent Poison: If you have poison as an Ex ability, add 2 to the DC, it also has the next part of the chainl Deadly Poison: If the target fails their save against the secondary damage, the secondary damage does DOUBLE poison damage.

Good 3 feats there, boost your save by 4, double the secondary damage.

tyckspoon
2012-01-31, 08:07 PM
double the secondary damage.

This is actually pretty nice, but it takes a lot of work to make it useful for a PC. That one-minute delay between first hit and the secondary save means you typically won't see any benefit from it in a standard fight scenario; your enemies will be dead or otherwise defeated long before that extra damage comes into play. It mostly applies if you can get the whole party to participate in a hit-and-run fight, or if you can safely scout ahead and jab a target of choice a couple of times before you engage them in open combat.

For other poison things.. eh.. there's some stuff I know of for poisoned weapons, but not terribly much for natural-attack poisons. *shrug* Get Ability Focus, pump your Con for the save DC (probably your major advantage in a natural ability- your save DC can be scaled, while most weapon poisons have fixed DCs), and be/be friends with a Druid for Venomfire and maybe Breath of the Jungle (1st level spell, so easy Quicken if you invest in it a bit, effectively increases the DCs of poisons and Diseases in the area by another 2.)

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-01-31, 09:03 PM
I recall seeing something recently that decreases the time for secondary poison down to five rounds. I can't for the life of me remember what it is, though.

Alleine
2012-01-31, 09:36 PM
Poison! (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0) Handbook for all your poisonous needs. Unfortunately natural poisons aren't all that well supported. Applying poisons to a tricked out weapon is capable of much more, such as the aforementioned reduction in time between the primary and secondary effects.

On the upside you could probably 'milk' your own poison for use on weapons.

Cieyrin
2012-02-01, 01:39 PM
I recall seeing something recently that decreases the time for secondary poison down to five rounds. I can't for the life of me remember what it is, though.

Virulent, it's a weapon special ability from Drow of the Underdark.

hex0
2012-02-01, 05:08 PM
Boost your CON of course, as well.