PDA

View Full Version : A high to-hit healer?

Gwic
2012-01-31, 05:49 PM
I have a player whose enjoyment of a session is directly proportional to the frequency of her attacks hitting. Unfortunately, she also is playing a Dwarf Cleric (and we have basically no optimization in this group).

Any tips on how to optimize for to-hit for a Dwarf Cleric who is the primary healer? I'm not doing random item drops, so I'd be happy to swap out some of the items I have slotted for her with some healer-ish to-hit items.

Thanks for the help!

Tengu_temp
2012-01-31, 05:51 PM
Maximize strength or wisdom, get proficiency in a weapon with +3 to hit or an Accurate implement (PHB3), and get Expertise in that weapon or implement (PHB2). That's pretty much it.

Dimers
2012-01-31, 06:04 PM
Get her to try for combat advantage every round. There are lots of ways, including some feats ... I remember one that gives you CA when your allies are flanking a target, for example. If you feel like giving her a free ride, tell her which defense is lowest for a given target. Maybe custom-design a new Channel Divinity feat, something like "Move action: +3 to your next attack roll".

tcrudisi
2012-02-01, 02:24 AM
There's really not much that can be done with that race/class combination that hasn't already been said.

Now, if your player is willing to change races or classes, then we have something to work with. As an example, Sentinels get an inherent +1 bonus with daggers. Tieflings can get +1 with fire attacks. Combine the two with a flaming accurate dagger and you can get a really high to-hit bonus. Of course, then you're playing a Tiefling Sentinel. Three in one-hand, one-fourth of a dozen in the other.

DragonBaneDM
2012-02-02, 08:51 PM
Does she have Astral Seal yet?

Also, there's an encounter power called Sever the Source. It's later down the road, but it's an auto-hit, which are really rare.

Honestly picking from Pacifist powers makes you hella accurate.

theMycon
2012-02-03, 02:10 AM
While I barely know clerics, my Bard mocks up a high to-hit by being able to hit any and every defense as needed.

I know that Cleric abilities often hit Reflex & Will. See if you can take/retrain to a few encounters that will hit fort & AC (with the Weapon Proficiency Bonus); as you can usually gauge which defenses are lower by description/ally attacks.

Rotho
2012-02-19, 11:27 AM
Get her to try for combat advantage every round. There are lots of ways, including some feats ... I remember one that gives you CA when your allies are flanking a target, for example. If you feel like giving her a free ride, tell her which defense is lowest for a given target. Maybe custom-design a new Channel Divinity feat, something like "Move action: +3 to your next attack roll".Adding on to this, if you grab Nimble Blade and a light blade, that's an extra +1 to attack rolls while you have combat advantage.

Duos Greanleef
2012-02-19, 10:54 PM
There's really not much that can be done with that race/class combination that hasn't already been said.

Now, if your player is willing to change races or classes, then we have something to work with. As an example, Sentinels get an inherent +1 bonus with daggers. Tieflings can get +1 with fire attacks. Combine the two with a flaming accurate dagger and you can get a really high to-hit bonus. Of course, then you're playing a Tiefling Sentinel. Three in one-hand, one-fourth of a dozen in the other.

Are you referring to Sentinel Druids? Aren't druids controllers? I has a confused.