PDA

View Full Version : Who is the divine caster?

Cybertoy00
2012-01-31, 08:38 PM
When Nale left Sapphire City during the invasion, his Linear Guild was missing a divine caster, an arcane caster, and a kobold. When he showed up at the Empire of Blood's castle, we saw his arcane caster and kobold.
But where was the divine caster?
Okay, sure, Tarquin 'volunteered' Malack as the Guild's new divine caster, but did Nale have a new divine caster when he re-entered the story? Or did he just come in with that position open?
Your thoughts, and if this line of thought has already been addressed in a different thread, please state which.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-01-31, 08:44 PM
Considering the whole ambush was planned in what seems to be less than 2 days, there is a good chance it wasn't filled yet. Tarquin hit the nail on the head saying that Nale wouldn't leave town till he had his team filled out and thats at least partially why Nale was still in town when Oots arrived.

Blisstake
2012-01-31, 08:44 PM
He didn't have one.

NerfTW
2012-02-01, 12:19 AM
Agreed. He simply didn't have one at the moment, as he didn't realize the Order was going to show up at the time.

In fact, it was only sheer chance that Roy ran into Thog. Had he not, Thog likely would have been left out of any attack as well.

LordRahl6
2012-02-03, 02:41 PM
He didn't appear to have one at that moment, which is partly why in my opinion that Tarquin appointed Malack as such. However I think I liked it best when Tarquin himself intruded himself into the party so he could fight Roy one one. That being saaid the next encounter with the Linear Guild will be several dozen strips down the line.

Ancalagon
2012-02-03, 02:55 PM
Actually... hum... does Nale even know he needs an Arcane and a Divine Caster? So far he only knows about the gates and has no idea what he would do with them or what anyone could do with them?

Or am I missing something and he learned about Xykon's and Redcloak's plan somehow? Nale only knows what he learned from Shojo and the Order and even they have no real idea what Team Evil is going on about with the gates.

And I strongly doubt the IFCC told Sabine Off Panel what they are up to (of which no one has any idea).

I might be missing something, though and Nale does know he even needs one.

---

If we are not talking about the gates: It is unclear how far Nale was going with the Evil Opposites Thing and if he even tried to get a divine caster to mirror Durkon or to replace the one he had lost.
Doing that in his Father's City and not anywhere else would be a pretty stupid move as well, so it's possible he was not even looking for one right now.

Dark Matter
2012-02-03, 03:21 PM
In fact, it was only sheer chance that Roy ran into Thog. Had he not, Thog likely would have been left out of any attack as well.Chance and Tarquin.

He was assuming Roy and Elan were working together before he scheduled the fight. He apparently didn't step in and micro-managed Roy into the #1 spot, but it's not a big assumption to think Elan's fighter equiv would stand out.

Still further it's quite a coincidence that the two lizards were somehow matched against each other.

Steward
2012-02-03, 03:25 PM
It is unclear how far Nale was going with the Evil Opposites Thing and if he even tried to get a divine caster to mirror Durkon or to replace the one he had lost.
Doing that in his Father's City and not anywhere else would be a pretty stupid move as well, so it's possible he was not even looking for one right now.

It was a stupid move, but that doesn't seem to stop Nale all that often. I think it's safe to assume that he was looking for a counterparts for Belkar, Durkon, and Vaarsuvius. He managed to get the drow and the kobold, but he didn't have a successor to Hilgya or Leeky yet and he's pretty intent on vanquishing the OOTS with one. (Besides, divine casters are pretty handy. Leeky managed to beat V with his treants and stymie Haley with a class feature, and even went toe-to-toe with Durkon a few rounds thanks to his wildshape. It would be silly for Nale to think that he could beat the entire Order without something that powerful.)

Ancalagon
2012-02-03, 03:27 PM
I know all that, but on the other hand: If he did not organise a new divine caster before going to the Empire of Blood, why should it be likely he was looking for one there?
Would he not "prepare first, do plan then"? Where "his plan" would be to find out about Girard in the Empire.

We cannot say, fear.