PDA

View Full Version : On your feet! Fight like a man! (PF race, PEACH)

Bearpunch
2012-01-31, 08:40 PM
Prest
An honorable and powerful race of warriors, the Prest is a brutal and surprisingly intelligent people. Their civilization thrives on conquest and in the land of Nitheria, they are the secondary caste, directly behind the Halflings in political standing. They stand anywhere from 5’5 to 6’8, and fighting is the number one thing on their minds. With dark purple skin and angry, stoic faces, many humanoid races are fearful of them, but for all of their negative demeanors, they are not nearly as dumb as they look and are actually very loyal once befriended. Prest are long-lived, with fables of venerable warriors living up to 500 years, though the average lifetime is about 250. They start to notice the ware of age at 200, but live to be strong until they die.

Prest racial traits
+2 str, +2 wis, -2 cha: The Prest are strong and mentally resilient, but a bit angry towards strangers
Medium
Low-light vision
Scary: Prest receive a +2 to intimidate checks
Armor training: Prest ignore 1 armor check penalty on jump and climb checks, for every 4 class levels.
Weapon familiarity: Prest are proficient with Battleaxes, Warhammers, Greatswords, and Bastard Swords.
Iron Mind: Prest get a +2 racial bonus to saving throws against mind-affecting effects and Fear effects
Languages: Common, Prest with a high Intelligence score can choose from either Dwarven or Halfling

A homebrew race I built for my campaign setting The Untamed Tundra, this is my first homebrew, so I really need someone to look it over and tear it apart. It seems like it might be a little overpowered, but I don't have any experience.

Cieyrin
2012-02-01, 11:10 AM
The first thing that struck me is they're 5'5" to 6'8", yet behind the stature of halflings? Are these the same halflings we're talking about, the ones that range from 2'-3' in height? :smallconfused:

There seems a bit too much going for them to line up with PF races. The stats and low-light vision are okay, Scary kind of overlaps with Half-Orcs and then it goes weird going down. Like Armor Training, what exactly is an 'Endurance check'? :smallconfused: Also seems weird they half the ACP for just climbing and not jumping, which is typical when you reduce penalties. What happens if you have a -1 penalty, do you divide down to 0 or any other odd penalty?

I was going to say something about weapon familiarity but it is actually in line with other races, so nevermind on that. +2 vs. mind affecting effects and immunity to fear are pretty big things, especially on how prevalent fear is. It sounds like they should have a Wis bonus instead of an Int, to show how strong they are against things affecting their minds. More in line would be a +2 bonus vs. fear.

So really, I think the following would put it in line with what you seem aimed at:

+2 Str, Wis, -2 Cha
Medium Size, 30' move
Low-Light Vision
Scary: +2 Intimidate
Armor Training (1/2 ACP, rounded up, for Climb and jumping)
Weapon Familiarity
Strong-Minded: +2 vs. Mind-Affecting and Fear effects

Also seems lacking a language section. Do they have their own native tongue? Who are their allies and enemies and do they know their tongues?

Bearpunch
2012-02-01, 12:04 PM
By stature, I meant politically. Not physically. Should have chosen a better word there...

As far as the endurance check thing, that was my stupid mind confusing PF with 4e. Jumping and climbing makes more sense.

Again, with the armor check penalty, some poor wording on my part. I meant you can ignore half of the amor check penalty for jumping/climbing, rounding down so a -3 would be, effectively, be a -1.

Mind-effecting affects was a typo. Looking back, immunity to fear is rather large.

As far as language goes, its just common. Its on my Word file, I just forgot to bring it over. Ill edit everything to be more in line with other races, thanks for the help.

Also, would it be too much if they could ignore the speed penalty for heavy armor?

Rapidghoul
2012-02-01, 12:48 PM
This seems a little too strong. I know this is PF and races are naturally a bit stronger than 3.5, but I kept waiting for the LA+1 to show up.

+2 Str, EWP Bastard Sword, +2 Intimidate, reduced ACP, +2 against mind effects, and immunity to fear makes these guys pretty damn perfect for any melee build. The only draw back is -2 Cha, which melee-types typically only take for Intimidate doesn't matter here.

I'd say, for one, you need to pick: are these guys physical masters or mental bastions? If the first, think about dropping Iron Mind and Fearless, maybe changing the stats to +2 Str and Dex, -2 Cha. If the second, change the stats to +2 Con or Dex, +2 Int (or Wis), -2 Cha, drop Bastard Sword from the list.

Either way, I'd recommend reducing Fearless to a bonus against fear rather than immunity. Half ACP is a little awkward, so making it a flat reduction would be cleaner and easier to work with.

Bearpunch
2012-02-01, 01:10 PM
I am definitely giving them a flat penalty ignore, but how would I manage that? Like ignore 1 point of ACP for every 4 class levels, starting at 1?

I want them to be mentally resilient, and physically powerful. If I changed his bonuses to two physical stats, that would lend itself to one schtick. I want variety to be a possibility.

I think I may drop Bastard Sword no matter what I do. Or maybe make them proficient with only Bastard Swords?

Fear Immunity has since been reduced to a +2 against saving throws.

Cieyrin
2012-02-01, 01:52 PM
I am definitely giving them a flat penalty ignore, but how would I manage that? Like ignore 1 point of ACP for every 4 class levels, starting at 1?

I want them to be mentally resilient, and physically powerful. If I changed his bonuses to two physical stats, that would lend itself to one schtick. I want variety to be a possibility.

I think I may drop Bastard Sword no matter what I do. Or maybe make them proficient with only Bastard Swords?

Fear Immunity has since been reduced to a +2 against saving throws.

The ACP dropping looks alright.

I'm not worried about Bastard Swords, when they already have Greatsword proficiency. If it's worrying, just change it to reducing Exotic to Martial.