PDA

View Full Version : Random question about outsiders

Stormlord
2012-01-31, 09:53 PM
So, for the characters that are evil with a chaotic bent, they would most likely summon a demon, and Lawful and evil characters would summon devils.

i BELIEVE NE is Yugoloths?

good characters go with celestials, but it appears Law/Chaos is less important to them (or i dont have enough monster manuals fleshing them out.

And finally Neutral characters get Slaadi and Modrons (i suppose)

So my question is, am I missing any aligned outsiders? Guess its something new and exciting to research if i can just get a little assistance pointing me in the right direction)

thanks in advance

LibraryOgre
2012-01-31, 10:10 PM
It depends on the edition. 1st edition had far more categories of fiends than 2nd... demodands comes to mind, but I can't recall all the divisions.

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-31, 10:27 PM
It depends on the edition. 1st edition had far more categories of fiends than 2nd... demodands comes to mind, but I can't recall all the divisions.Actually, gehereleths/demondands are even in 3rd edition.

Ivellius
2012-01-31, 11:54 PM
Hm, well, inevitables work fairly well for lawful characters in 3.5. On the celestial side of things, you have angels for lawful good, eladrin for chaotic good, and guardinals (animal-headed creatures) for neutral good. The first two are definitely in the first Monster Manual; off-hand I don't remember if guardinals made the cut.

I also think the different flavors of Genie make suitable summons depending on your alignment: CG for djinni and LE for efreeti (I think there are a couple other kinds but I don't know what they are).

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-02-01, 12:51 AM
On the celestial side of things, you have angels for lawful good, eladrin for chaotic good, and guardinals (animal-headed creatures) for neutral good. The first two are definitely in the first Monster Manual; off-hand I don't remember if guardinals made the cut.

Actually, angels are for any good alignment while archons are the lawful good ones, and guardinals did make the cut in the MM1 (the avoral and leonal are in there). Demodands/gehreleths are from Carceri and are evil-leaning-chaotic.

Talakeal
2012-02-01, 01:27 AM
Lawful Good:

Formians
Archons

Neutral Good:
Guardinals

Chaotic Good:
Eladrin
Asuras

Any Good:
Angels

True Neutral:
Rilmani?

Lawful Neutral:
Modrons
Inevitables

Chaotic Neutral:
Slaad

Lawful Evil:
Bladelings
Baatezu (Devils)

Neutral Evil:
Vapporighu
Yugoloths (Daemons)
Gehreleths (Demodands)
Hordelings
Night Hags

Chaotic Evil:
Tanari (Demons)

Stormlord
2012-02-01, 01:34 AM
Lawful Good:

Formians
Archons

Neutral Good:
Guardinals

Chaotic Good:
Eladrin
Asuras

Any Good:
Angels

True Neutral:
Rilmani?

Lawful Neutral:
Modrons
Inevitables

Chaotic Neutral:
Slaad

Lawful Evil:
Bladelings
Baatezu (Devils)

Neutral Evil:
Vapporighu
Yugoloths (Daemons)
Gehreleths (Demodands)
Hordelings
Night Hags

Chaotic Evil:
Tanari (Demons)

wow definately a place to start researching
thanks!

Seharvepernfan
2012-02-03, 06:31 AM
Asuras

Did you mean Azatas?

Also, Titans were for a long time the most powerful CG outsider, but as of the latest incarnations, they're either just chaotic (3.5) or CG Elysium Titans and the even more powerful evil Thanatonic Titans (both PF).

Yora
2012-02-03, 06:36 AM
No, Azatas are the Pathfinder name for Eladrin.

Where is Eldan when you need him, he knows his Planescape. :smallbiggrin:

Seharvepernfan
2012-02-03, 06:43 AM

I know. I thought he might be naming both.

What are Asura?

Yora
2012-02-03, 06:45 AM
Chaotic Good outsiders from the Book of Exalted Deeds. No idea if they have any more background than that.

Eldan
2012-02-03, 07:57 AM

Where is Eldan when you need him, he knows his Planescape. :smallbiggrin:

Asleep, duh. It's my holidays :smalltongue:

Okay, then.

Traditionally, the great wheel has seventeen outer planes, only nine of which correspond exactly to one alignment. These have their own outsiders.

Going Clockwise:

Elysium, the neutral good plane, has Guardinals, seven humanoids with animalistic features. Those were a bit sidelined in 3.5, and were changed in pretty much full half-animal humanoids. They are mostly peaceful, but from time to time go on crusades against the lower planes.

The Beastlands, between neutral good and chaotic good, have mostly animals, but also some guardinals and the Animal Lords, such as the famous Cat Lord which, I think, was updated in the epic handbook.

Arborea, the chaotic good plane, has Eladrin, fey-like humanoids. They are the only outsiders with the ability to wander the mortal worlds at will, as long as no one recognizes them for what they are, in which case they are banished. As such, they mostly work as advisors, sages and guides to mortals, unless the need is dire, in which case they start whooping ass. I still think they were partially inspired by Gandalf. The olympian gods and many fey also dwell here.

Ysgard, the plane between chaotic good and chaotic neutral, again, has no really relevant outsiders. There are giants, dwarves, elves and nordic gods here, and Tome of Battle has the Valkyries. Einherjar, too, are mentioned a few times, but I think were never updated to third edition.

Limbo, the plane of chaotic neutral, has the Slaad. These used to be shapeless monstrosities able to take any form they could imagine, until the four strongest of their race magically locked them into a toadlike shape and set them into an endless war against each other so that none could ever threaten their place.

Pandemonium, the plane between chaotic neutral and chaotic evil, is mostly empty caves free of all live. The theme here is darkness, isolation and madness.Howlers come from here and should be in the monster manual. The Fiend Folio has Darkweavers which are also natives.

The Abyss, the plane of chaotic evil, has the Demons or Tanar'ri. There's a dozen books on them, so I don't think I need to say much. There's a few critters here that aren't technically Tanar'ri, also in the demon entry. The older, original inhabitants of the plane are known as Obyriths. Of them, not much is known, except what is detailed in the Fiendish Codex.

Carceri (or Tartaros), the plane between chaotic evil and chaotic neutral, is inhabited by Gehreleth, a race of three kinds of fiends created by a rogue Baernoloth (see below.) Furthermore, the original great titans are imprisoned here.

Hades, or the Grey Waste, is the plane of neutral evil. From here originate Hordelings, near-mindless beings with a kind of group-mind subtly influencing them, Night Hags, malicious, magically gifted crones that control the soul trade, and the Baernoloth, the possibly most ancient of the evil races. These created the Yugoloth, which now inhabit both Hades and Gehenna, the plane between neutral and lawful evil.

Gehenna: see Hades.

Baator, or the Nine Hells, is home to the Devils or Baatezu. These are well-detailed in several books .Depending on the cosmology, some of them, including Asmodeus, their lord, are fallen Archons or Angels. Other inhabitants are the Ancient Baatorians, the imprisoned original inhabitants of the plane.

Acheron, the plane between lawful evil and lawful neutral has, as far as I remember, no original inhabitants.

Mechanus, the plane of lawful neutral, was originally home to the Modrons, which were all but removed from third edition. They are losing a gigantic war against the Formians, which are invading their plane from Arcadia after a planar catastrophe made the crossing possible. Other inhabitants are the crystal-like Moderators, the Moignos, which are based on mathematical equations given flesh, and the Inevitables, which enforce cosmic law.

Arcadia lies between lawful neutral and lawful good. It is the native home of the ant-like Formians.

Celestia, or the heavens, are home to Archons, the crusaders of lawful good. They, too, are in the monster manual.

Finally, there's the Rilmani on the Outlands, the plane of true neutrality. They can be found in the FIend Folio as well.

Then, there's Angels. They are not true outsiders in the sense that they come from a plane. Instead, they are created by various gods to be their servants. Evil gods tend to have their personal servants custom-made, such as the Minions of Set, shapeshifting crocodile-men.

Asuras, mentioned above, are archons that have fallen, not to evil, but to chaos. As such, they are even more zealous, but crusade for chaos, not law.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-02-03, 02:31 PM
Ysgard, the plane between chaotic good and chaotic neutral, again, has no really relevant outsiders. There are giants, dwarves, elves and nordic gods here, and Tome of Battle has the Valkyries. Einherjar, too, are mentioned a few times, but I think were never updated to third edition.

Einherjar are in Deities and Demigods in the Asgardian pantheon section. They're quasi-deities with either 20 fighter levels (the elf and dwarf einherjar) or 20 barbarian levels (the human einherjar).

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-03, 04:37 PM
Lawful Good:

Formians

Ummm "Always Lawful Neutral (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/formian.htm)" begs to differ. They are giant ant things. They function on the hivemind mentality. Sounds text book LN to me. Plus I believe their home plane is Mechanus, the LN plane.

Eldan
2012-02-03, 04:38 PM
They are Arcadian originally. Close enough to LG.

Talakeal
2012-02-03, 04:47 PM
Ummm "Always Lawful Neutral (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/formian.htm)" begs to differ. They are giant ant things. They function on the hivemind mentality. Sounds text book LN to me. Plus I believe their home plane is Mechanus, the LN plane.

I was just going off the top of my head, and I remembered they were from Arcadia which is a LG plane.

Also, not sure how you could define textbook lawful neutral for an outsider, as law represents many wildly different concepts which are often at odds to one another. Loyalty, honor, honesty, obeying tradition, logic, obeying the law of the land, etc. are all honorable things which, when taken to the extreme, are directly at odds with one another.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-03, 04:51 PM
They are Arcadian originally. Close enough to LG.

I was just going off the top of my head, and I remembered they were from Arcadia which is a LG plane.

Also, not sure how you could define textbook lawful neutral for an outsider, as law represents many wildly different concepts which are often at odds to one another. Loyalty, honor, honesty, obeying tradition, logic, obeying the law of the land, etc. are all honorable things which, when taken to the extreme, are directly at odds with one another.

My apologies I only know of them through 3.5 and only looked over them cursory. I just distincly remember them being "Always Lawful Neutral" in 3.5.

Eldan
2012-02-03, 04:53 PM
Planescape kinda used half-alignments. Under that system, Formians would be Lawful Good-ish.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-03, 04:57 PM
Planescape kinda used half-alignments. Under that system, Formians would be Lawful Good-ish.

If they had succeded and fully conquered Mechanus, would they eventually become fully LN? or would they stay LG-ish?

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-02-03, 05:00 PM
If they had succeded and fully conquered Mechanus, would they eventually become fully LN? or would they stay LG-ish?

Under AD&D, "Lawful Good-ish" was usually expressed as "Lawful Neutral with Good tendencies" or "Lawful Neutral (Good)," abbreviated LN(G). So formians are LN already, just leaning a bit to the Good side of things, so it wouldn't be necessary for them to lose that tendency and become "fully" LN if they took over Mechanus.

Eldan
2012-02-03, 05:01 PM
Well, either they'd turn LN, or whatever part of Mechanus they had would switch back to Arcadia.

Looking at how they are handled in 3.5, I guess they were turned fully neutral.

LibraryOgre
2012-02-04, 10:37 AM
Under AD&D, "Lawful Good-ish" was usually expressed as "Lawful Neutral with Good tendencies" or "Lawful Neutral (Good)," abbreviated LN(G). So formians are LN already, just leaning a bit to the Good side of things, so it wouldn't be necessary for them to lose that tendency and become "fully" LN if they took over Mechanus.

I think it's more accurate to say they won't be able to fully take over Mechanus until they become truly LN. After all, gate towns join with their Plane when they're as close to their plane as possible; they don't remake the plane in their own image.