PDA

View Full Version : Nemesis

Babale
2012-01-31, 11:01 PM
If you happen to stumble upon this, Eric, don't read this, please. I know you don't frequent the GiantITP forums, but if you somehow drift this way, please keep out.

In my current campaign, I have two characters: A Cleric and a Swordsage. The Swordsage is the unarmed, high AC type. Now, in his background, he has a childhood friend turned friendly rival. Basically, his friend was stated to be "The Chosen One" by the character's mentor. The PC Swordsage trained with the mentor and his friend, until they set off on an adventure and sent him to train.

The PC will be training in all the various forms, while his rival will be focusing on the Desert maneuvers/stances.

In a recent session, the Swordsage met his nemesis again, and proceeded to trounce him in a friendly duel. This gave me an idea... For years (The two have been training since childhood) the Nemesis has been told he was the Chosen One. He's been training in a single style for all these years. And here comes this DABBLER, who was once his childhood friend, and trounces him.

Obviously, this is damaging to his psych.

I want to explore the idea of the nemesis slowly turning to Evil in his quest to reliably trounce the PC. I also came up with the idea that, after being beaten by the PC, his ego will make him believe that he only won because of the second PC, the Cleric (who is a battle cleric of Ilmater), so he'll hire a Cleric of his own.

So, here's what I need: Two builds, one for a Swordsage (preferably pure, PrCs OK, but no dips; must have only Swordsage maneuvers) and one for a Cleric.

The point of the builds, though, is to do what Zz'dtri does to Vaarsuvius: Be built specifically to counter what the others do. Basically, they should both have "NO" buttons that they can push whenever the PCs try things. I know that this is "annoying", but it's meant to get on the PCs nerves. Things that are "unfair" are even more perfect; give the PCs a feel that the bad guys are "cheating".

So you can actually do this, here are specs about the characters (Who are level 4 now): The Cleric has a moderately-high AC, likes too fight by powerattacking with a two-handed morningstar. If she can Enlarge Person first (Strength Domain), all the better. I modified the Strength Domain ability to function Level/2 times per day, so that should be one of the things the evil version should counter. She can cast perfectly well (Maxed Wisdom score), but likes bashing stuff.

The Swordsage's opposite is a kobold. The Swordsage himself is a Gnome, with a huge AC and not-bad damage output. He doesn't put out as much damage as the Cleric, but has a more reliable To Hit. Favorite maneuver is probably Mighty Throw.

To build on the idea of "Was so desperate to beat PC Swordsage that he learned forbidden/dark maneuvers" theme, I'm willing to homebrew (slightly) overpowered maneuvers for the kobold (which the PC might be able to copy as a reward for winning?). If you have suggestions for those (especially as counters for things the Swordsage can do) I'd love to hear them.

Flickerdart
2012-01-31, 11:13 PM
Forbidden and dark maneuvers, you say. Why does that sound like Arcane Swordsage to me? :smallamused:

Namfuak
2012-01-31, 11:47 PM
I can't really help much with the swordsage, but a few ideas for the cleric (this is all from SRD, I didn't look into anything else) - Cleric of Hextor, War and Evil domains, uses a flail (hextor's preferred weapon). First/third level feats are combat expertise and improved trip. Cast shield of faith and resistance on himself and Nemesis before the battle. Summon Monster II a Fiendish Medium Scorpion. Have it grapple the swordsage, who is small and therefore is probably going to be kept by it the whole time. The cleric will trip the other cleric with his flail, while Nemesis beats him down. CL4+1 from evil domain means you will hopefully have five full rounds before the PC swordsage can really do anything, plus the scorpion might be poisoning his con (1d3 with a save, but hey, everything counts). The cleric has his domain and 1 2nd level (assuming he doesn't get a bonus from wisdom) spell left, so he can cast magic weapon, spiritual weapon, and maybe bull's strength to help the swordsage kill the PC cleric in time while he keeps using his AoO to keep the cleric tripped. Alternatively, he could have another Summon Monster II lined up in case the first one fades before the cleric is dead.

GodGoblin
2012-02-01, 08:23 AM
The Arcane swordsage sounds like a pretty cool idea actually, espiecally if he uses Necromancy spells! Other than that you could have a browse through the Book of Vile Darkness, has loads of stuff on seling your soal or forbidden dark arts.

I know you dont really want to multiclass but have you considered giving him levels in Binder? There is a Binder Gish prestige too that might synergise with Swordsage.

An optional idea for the cleric btw, if he wants to hire an opposite how about going for an Arcane caster or even an Archivist? The Archivist could of been the one to show the Kobold the dark knowledge even :smallsmile:

FearlessGnome
2012-02-01, 08:37 AM
If the villain does not start out super evil (starting out 'Chosen' and all), consider, at some later point, having him turn his back on the gods and dedicate his soul to an Elder Evil. At level 10 this means three free Vile feats. I'm sure some of them will be useful. For one, Apostate gives a free bonus on all saves against Divine spellsequal to character level/2, which should annoy the good cleric.

Babale
2012-02-01, 01:13 PM
The problem with things like Binder gishes or Arcane Swordsage is, the kobold and gnome originally trained together as Swordsages. Now that they've split off, having "the Chosen One" stoop too magic in order to beat his nemesis kind of defeats the point. He needs to beat him at his own game.

Custom maneuvers might be closer to what I'm looking for here. Do you guys have any ideas for those? Maneuvers that are pretty much "NO" buttons?