PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Hide Armor

pwykersotz
2012-02-01, 12:07 AM
Hey everyone, I'm working on possibilities for a campaign and I was curious. What houserules do people here use for dragon-hide armor? Spell Resistance, energy resistance based on the dragon's type, 1/day abilities, 3/day abilities? Something new?

For myself, I'm definitely looking for something flavorful. It doesn't need to be powerful, just interesting. I'm also hoping for something that would also work for the epic dragons, Force, Prismatic, and Time.

Thoughts?

Debihuman
2012-02-01, 08:10 AM
Hey everyone, I'm working on possibilities for a campaign and I was curious. What houserules do people here use for dragon-hide armor? Spell Resistance, energy resistance based on the dragon's type, 1/day abilities, 3/day abilities? Something new?

For myself, I'm definitely looking for something flavorful. It doesn't need to be powerful, just interesting. I'm also hoping for something that would also work for the epic dragons, Force, Prismatic, and Time.

Thoughts?

Dragonrider Armor from the Magic Item Compendium page 17 already does this. This gives you a suit of +1 dragonhide full plate armor with resistance 10 against the form of energy associated with the breath weapon of the dragon; you gain a +5 competence bonus to Ride checks made while riding any creature of the dragon type; and last of all you gain a feather fall effect if you fall more than 5 feet while wearing it.

Debby

lunar2
2012-02-01, 10:40 AM
We've always used 2 houserules for dragon material gear.

dragon armor gave cover against the energy type of the associated breath weapon (+4 ac, +2 reflex saves), while dragon weapons dealt 1 point of energy damage (1d4 against vulnerable creatures). more powerful than a regular masterwork item, but less powerful than a +1 enhancement bonus should be the general rule for dragon material items, as their cost reflects.

Lord Vukodlak
2012-02-01, 07:51 PM
The price for dragonhide plate in the DMG assumes you've provided the material component.

Seharvepernfan
2012-02-01, 08:07 PM
I've never really got around to it, but I've been meaning to do something like, whatever the breath weapon was, that armor is easier to enchant with resistance of that type. So, if it was a black dragon, you could enchant the armor with acid resistance at 1/2 or 1/3 price.