PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand Nobilis 3rd edition

Lord Raziere
2012-02-01, 02:45 AM
I heard about this strange RPG with a diceless roleplaying system and anime art, and so I decided to check it out to add it to my collection of god-level rpgs I have, such as Exalted, Scion and Mage the Awakening. :smalltongue:

The setting is a little weird, but I can use it.

as for rules…..eh? can someone help me understand them?

or Do I just need to read them over again or something, cause I kinda get them, but at the same time its kinda….I don't know….

Please. help me understand Nobilis's rules.

Yuki Akuma
2012-02-01, 05:33 AM
If you're asking if you should read over them again, the answer is generally 'yes'.

Also, mandatory 'Understand Nobilis? Hahah' joke.

It might be a good idea to say what you're having trouble with. If your answer is 'all of it', read through the rules again. :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2012-02-01, 10:35 AM
Ok, I think I understand it better now….

Aspect is like Scion Knacks

Domain is like Scion Purviews.

Treasure is Artifacts

Bonds and Afflictions and Skills are like Fate Aspects

Persona are metaphorical/abstract ways of using your Domain…sorta

There are some things like Cool and such that give penalties to other people that can easily be adapted into other kinds of things.

what I don't get is this Lifepath/Key thing. is it even important?

JMobius
2012-02-01, 03:47 PM
what I don't get is this Lifepath/Key thing. is it even important?

It has no mechanical weight, if that's what you mean. It is more for character idea generation (and it is pretty damned good for that).

Theoretically, the Lifepath can be extended in to a project, but hell if I understand how. Projects are by far the most ill-defined portion of the rules to me.

Lord Raziere
2012-02-01, 08:31 PM
No thanks, it will not be needed. I come up with tons of characters all by myself pretty easily thank you.

most of them haven't even been played…..poor character legions…. :smallfrown:

1of3
2012-02-02, 07:42 AM
Persona are metaphorical/abstract ways of using your Domain…sorta

Domain is manipulating the stuff of your Estate.
Persona is manipulating things associated with your Estate.

Depending on your choice of Estate, one of those stats might be much more interesting than the other.

Estate: Lions
Domain: Understand Lions, Heal Lions, Make Lions, Kill Lions.
Persona: Make people courageous, make them work as a pack, make them lazy or unmake all these things.

Estate: Romance
Domain: Create romance between people, destroy their romance, transfer someone's romance to someone else
Persona: *headache*

Treasure, in my opinion, is the hardest stat to understand.

The Demented One
2012-02-02, 05:20 PM
Any specific questions?