PDA

View Full Version : Dex to damage

Lockjaw
2012-02-01, 07:05 AM
I'm always hearing people asking how they can get dex to damage, and I always think to myself, "Would it be so terrible to just house rule it in with an "improved weapon finesse?" Or even better yet for archers, automatically apply dex to ranged damage. I always loved playing archers, but boy, do they ever get hosed. Allowing them to have dex to damage isn't too game breaking is it?

sonofzeal
2012-02-01, 07:30 AM
For a bow, it makes some sense. Perhaps as Precision Damage, but I'm generally in favour of archery buffs.

For melee, dex-to-damage is actually pretty sweet. Dex is a better stat than Strength already - it controls Initiative, Reflex saves, and many more skills. All Strength gives you is carrying capacity and melee ability. Weapon Finesse fills a needed roll, but one feat to shift everything to Dex is a bit much. I'd keep it as a second feat, like Shadow Blade but perhaps less restrictive, and replacing Strength instead of stacking with it.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-02-01, 07:48 AM
like Shadow Blade but perhaps less restrictive
I agree, but for balance reasons I'd also rule that it doesn't stack with similar effects to prevent more iterations of DEX to damage (you can already have it, like, 4 times on the same character)

CTrees
2012-02-01, 09:28 AM
An Improved Weapon Finesse feat seems reasonable. The wording gets interesting, if you're trying to preclude adding the Dex bonus several times, but... I'm not sure I'm worried about that. One could also make it weapon specific, if one were really worried.

Also I could see a houserule simply allowing Dex-to-damage (possibly as precision damage) for ranged weapons, at least as an addition to Point Blank Shot or Precise Shot. It fits with the fluff. Heck, why not overwrite Point Blank Shot as allowing Dex-to-damage within close range?

Greenish
2012-02-01, 09:47 AM
An Improved Weapon Finesse feat seems reasonable. The wording gets interesting, if you're trying to preclude adding the Dex bonus several times, but... I'm not sure I'm worried about that. One could also make it weapon specific, if one were really worried.Well, it's not that easy to stack Dex damage bonuses. Hit and Run fighter to Champion of That Elven Pansy with Fierce weapon would get conditional 3*Dex, but that eats money, feats and levels like nothing. Swordsage with Shadow Blade instead of the champ would work, but still.

Also I could see a houserule simply allowing Dex-to-damage (possibly as precision damage) for ranged weapons, at least as an addition to Point Blank Shot or Precise Shot. It fits with the fluff. Heck, why not overwrite Point Blank Shot as allowing Dex-to-damage within close range?Dead Eye already does that. Though most archers would probably prefer to stay out of point blank range.

Ernir
2012-02-01, 12:33 PM
For melee, dex-to-damage is actually pretty sweet. Dex is a better stat than Strength already - it controls Initiative, Reflex saves, and many more skills. All Strength gives you is carrying capacity and melee ability. Weapon Finesse fills a needed roll, but one feat to shift everything to Dex is a bit much. I'd keep it as a second feat, like Shadow Blade but perhaps less restrictive, and replacing Strength instead of stacking with it.

Strength is also a requirement for the damage factory that is power attack, and it multiplies better with two-hand fighting (in other words, it gives you more melee ability than simply replacing it with Dex to attack and Dex to damage). But I agree, Dex is the more powerful stat.

It's that awkward place where one feat is a bit cheap, and two feats a bit much. =/

Cieyrin
2012-02-01, 12:51 PM
Strength is also a requirement for the damage factory that is power attack, and it multiplies better with two-hand fighting (in other words, it gives you more melee ability than simply replacing it with Dex to attack and Dex to damage). But I agree, Dex is the more powerful stat.

It's that awkward place where one feat is a bit cheap, and two feats a bit much. =/

PF has a couple methods of adding Dex to damage, though the most open is via the Agile weapon property, which can only be put on Finessable weapons and requires Weapon Finesse, but is pretty nice for a +1 weapon special. I don't think that's unreasonable as things go, a feat and specially enchanted weapon.

Metahuman1
2012-02-01, 01:18 PM
Might I suggest making it so that after you gain a certain amount of hit dice or BAB Weapons Finesse just auto adds Dex to damage? That way it's one feat still, but the full effect takes more time to get online.

Cieyrin
2012-02-01, 01:47 PM
Might I suggest making it so that after you gain a certain amount of hit dice or BAB Weapons Finesse just auto adds Dex to damage? That way it's one feat still, but the full effect takes more time to get online.

So like Gunslingers, basically? I could see that.

LordotheMorning
2012-02-01, 05:54 PM
Targeteer, from Dragon Magazine #310. It's a fighter variant that offers dex to damage.

sonofzeal
2012-02-01, 05:57 PM

Ah, but on the other hand, high-dex characters are often the most likely to have other damage factories like Precision damage. It's also generally easier to boost, as there's more races that give +Dex and they're generally better races overall than Half-Orcs. And finally, classes that synergize well with high-Dex tend to need huge Power Attack damage less, as they have other ways to contribute beyond poity metal things.

I'd say it's worth a feat overall. It wouldn't be worth it for everyone even if their dex was good, but there'll be some for whom it'll be a "must have" even as a feat. Making it free is too good, and making it a feat is still worth it for some. I say that's a perfect niche for a feat.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-02-01, 06:02 PM
Making it free is too good, and making it a feat is still worth it for some. I say that's a perfect niche for a feat.
A fighter bonus feat. Fighters need nice things