PDA

View Full Version : Help me build Le Crusader

Myth
2012-02-01, 07:33 AM
Hohoo mon ami, we cook ze Crusader, yes? Tis' an NPC, about le level 16. Has ze hype of soloing a Young Adult or Adult Red Dragon. Is that even le possible?

Seeing as how le Dragon casts as a Sorcerer he could very well be untouchable to a single TOB character. Things I've thought of so far:

- Ring of Freedom of Movement
- Fire Resistance in some form (equipment? Purchased buff? Potion?)
- Dragonslaying Spellstoring greatsword?
- Corners him in a cave > charge (going for ubercharge?)
- WOTC level of spell choice (ie. not optimized spell selection. Things like Fireball)

I remember that there was a truck to making Crusaders very good with saves. At least the ones that matter - Fort and Will. Mind sharing those? Any other ideas on how this could be plausible?

sonofzeal
2012-02-01, 07:43 AM
Eh, a Young Adult Red Dragon is casting 2nd level spells, they're mostly just a dragon with perhaps a couple minor buffs. A lvl 16 Crusader should be able to carve one up for breakfast if he can force it into melee.

That's really going to be the kicker here. The Dragon is fine as long as it can avoid melee, and Crusaders don't have that many ways to force melee since they lack the big mobility-based schools.

Myth
2012-02-01, 08:32 AM
Well Adult is listed as CR 15 so he should not be that easy. Assume the dragon has Plot Induced Stupidity and it allows itself to be cornered in a dead-end hole. It casts as Sorc 7, which means that with ideal spell selection it should still pose a significant threat. And that breath is a doozy if you don't have fire resistance on.

Drathmar
2012-02-01, 08:35 AM
Eh, a Young Adult Red Dragon is casting 2nd level spells, they're mostly just a dragon with perhaps a couple minor buffs. A lvl 16 Crusader should be able to carve one up for breakfast if he can force it into melee.

That's really going to be the kicker here. The Dragon is fine as long as it can avoid melee, and Crusaders don't have that many ways to force melee since they lack the big mobility-based schools.

Make sure he has use rope, as much strength increase as possible... and Lasso the dragon into melee!

Myth
2012-02-01, 08:38 AM
Make sure he has use rope, as much strength increase as possible... and Lasso the dragon into melee!

An Adult Red Dragon can carry him around like a seashell necklace :smallannoyed:

Drathmar
2012-02-01, 08:57 AM
An Adult Red Dragon can carry him around like a seashell necklace :smallannoyed:

An adult red dragon is only huge with a 33 strength... if you could (temporarily or permanently) get like 40 strength you could do it! Or take multiple craft skills and knowledge (engineering) and make a large pulley/lever system thing to help. Or tie the other end of the rope to an immovable rod.

In all seriousness... get a bow... shoot it... run into a large cave so it has to land to come at you (after you anger it) then fight it.

Or as you said... plot stupidity.

With the right maneuvers I can actually see the Crusader winning... probably would want at least 2 self healing maneuvers, not sure if its an 8 or 9 but there's the one that's an actual heal spell, that one and the highest other one and you should just be able to outlast it if you use them smartly with the other maneuvers.

I would get an item that gives you spell resistance to take care of the dragons spellcasting or at least give a good explanation for how he overcame it.

Myth
2012-02-01, 09:29 AM
Well this is a NPC for my campaign. I want the group to know he beat an Adult Red Dragon one on one, fair and square IF the inquire about him. Then I got to thinking if that's even possible.

A ring of FoM is absolutely necessary otherwise the Dragon will just grapple him to death. It's breath weapon is terrifying too - 12d10 with a DC of 26 every 1d4 rounds. With some dice hate that's potentially 240 fire damage in three rounds. Let's say the NPC had dice love instead, that's still an initial blast for 60 and another sure 60 4 rounds later.

What way is there for a Crusader to gain fire immunity or fire resistance?

Also, see it's full attack routine - with Multiattack that thing can definitely drop a 250 hp fighter in a couple of rounds. Especially with Power Attack.

Slipperychicken
2012-02-01, 10:41 AM
Flight is pretty much mandatory to kill a Dragon that values self-preservation at all. Popular methods include the Feathered Wings Fiendish Graft, because it's not magical and thus can't be dispelled/suppressed. Even though it forces Will saves every so often, a Crusader with Aura of Perfect Order could "take 11" on the saves, ignoring their effects.

Aura of Perfect Order, as mentioned before, is good when you don't want a natural 1 ruining your day.

To reliably take a Dragon down: Charge-Fu + AMF + nonmagic flight + Aura of Perfect Order (used on attack roll) + [attack roll>dragon's AC-11] = dead Dragon.

EDIT: Just looked at Adult Red Dragon stats. It's only got 3rd level spells, +0 initiative, and you only need to do 253 damage, which means you could win initiative to one-round it with a decent PA charge.

Drathmar
2012-02-01, 11:33 AM
Well this is a NPC for my campaign. I want the group to know he beat an Adult Red Dragon one on one, fair and square IF the inquire about him. Then I got to thinking if that's even possible.

A ring of FoM is absolutely necessary otherwise the Dragon will just grapple him to death. It's breath weapon is terrifying too - 12d10 with a DC of 26 every 1d4 rounds. With some dice hate that's potentially 240 fire damage in three rounds. Let's say the NPC had dice love instead, that's still an initial blast for 60 and another sure 60 4 rounds later.

What way is there for a Crusader to gain fire immunity or fire resistance?

Also, see it's full attack routine - with Multiattack that thing can definitely drop a 250 hp fighter in a couple of rounds. Especially with Power Attack.

A full round attack from a red dragon using physical attacks =

1 Bite + 31 to hit, average 19 damage
2 Claws + 26 to hit, average 11 damage per claw
2 Wing Slaps + 26 to hit, average 11 damage per wing
1 tail slap, +26 to hit, average 20 damage

So on a full round, you take an average of 61 damage. so it would take, on average 4 rounds of full attacks to kill you.

However, if you make sure he has the maneuver that heals you as a heal spell (takes away status and fully restores HP... might have to make him 17th level if its a 9th level maneuver though) he would be able to last at least 6 rounds, maybe 7. If you had fire resistance. Shouldn't be too hard to actually get fire immunity from an item, I'm AFB (at work, have limited PDF's) but I am positive there is something to just make you immune to his breath attack.

Played smartly (using things like resolve + stone power to take 10 less damage a round and other defensive combos) and something to make him immune to the breath attack and it would be possible.

Or just charge 1 shot it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-01, 11:49 AM
(Duskblade 2; Crusader 2 or 4; Paladin 0 or 2)/ Suel Arcanamach 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8

Get Eternal Wands (MIC) of Bands of Steel (SC) and Hound of Doom (CW), plus a Masterwork Net and plenty of Tanglefoot Bags. Get plenty of defensive spells, Wraithstrike, and be sure to take Practiced Spellcaster and Minor Shapeshift (CM). I'd put Magebane (CA) on his weapon before anything else.

deuxhero
2012-02-01, 12:15 PM
Ah, yes, Tanglefoot Bags and similar "no save: Half movement" effects are great for disabling a flying foe with less than good mobility.

Either they go straight completely, or they crash and fall. You will need some way of having them reach the dragon though. A cantrip in spell compendium (either launch or flight item, forget which it was) or a magic item in spc (3/day use tanglefoot bag equivalent at a long range, rod of something globes) both work.

gallagher
2012-02-01, 12:54 PM
get a net big enough to fit the dragon and find a way to limit it to less than a full round action, so it cannot make the strength check to break it. he may be looking for a rogue with the feat that lets him trade SA die for a stunning attack, or a monk with a super pumped wisdom and stunning fist

gallagher
2012-02-01, 01:06 PM
also, considering this crusader is french, should you not have a contingency plan for an awesome warblade in an american accent, im thinking brooklyn, to come in and save the day when the crusader gets in over his head?

Slipperychicken
2012-02-01, 01:09 PM
also, considering this crusader is french, should you not have a contingency plan for an awesome warblade in an american accent, im thinking brooklyn, to come in and save the day when the crusader gets in over his head?

That's what the PCs are for :smallcool: